I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

So would I want to close the Delta Gold after using the benefits?

I think I would like more details. Not sure if I will use it for this trip but it sounds like something that could be very useful.
Never close a card before the one year anniversary; that's a major red flag for cc issuers. Many of us keep them open longer, especially if they have no (or low) AF. You can cancel after the first anniversary, but within 30 days and you don't have to pay the new AF.

The normal CP requirements require you to earn 135,000 miles. Upon reaching that amt, you will have the CP for the remainder of that calendar year and the whole next calendar year. Therefore, it is best to earn the points as close as possible to the start of a new year. You can only have one personal SW card at a time, so you have to get one personal and one biz card; or do an MDD to get 2 personal cards. If you have a P2, one of you gets a card, then supports the other one for their application. Then P2 can support P1 when they apply for their second card. This allows you to earn extra pts from the support links, but this plan also assumes there is no MDD involved so you have time to do the supports for ea other (see first page for MDD info).

Currently, there is a special offer to earn a CP until Feb 28, 2025 + 30K pts by getting only 1 card and spending $4K. That offer ends March 11.

We have a private group on Reddit. You can request to join that if you are interested (I can't remember who can add you but someone here will chime in with that info). There is some cc info over there, but we mainly use it to support each other when we apply for new card but don't have a support link from a P2.

If you fly enough Delta to make that $150 AF worthwhile, i.e. you would check at least 5 bags a year, then keep it open. If you wouldn't, either close or downgrade to the Blue. That's what I do with mine, I opened it as a Gold, downgraded to the Blue, then took an upgrade offer to the Platinum. 95% sure I'll be downgrading again to the Blue once the new AF hits.
You can downgrade a credit card? How do you do that?
Never close a card before the one year anniversary; that's a major red flag for cc issuers. Many of us keep them open longer, especially if they have no (or low) AF. You can cancel after the first anniversary, but within 30 days and you don't have to pay the new AF.
I didn't know about not closing a card before the one year date either. I don't think I'm ready to try the Southwest thing yet. Kind of complicated for my brain, lol. I'm going to talk to hubby about the Delta one though. I think I might still have a Cabellas card open but probably haven't used it in 15 years. I should check that. If it is still open should I close it?

You guys are great sharing all this info.

You can downgrade a credit card? How do you do that?
When you call to cancel and tell them you're cancelling because you don't want to pay the AF, they'll most likely offer you the free variation of the card, e.g. Blue vs. Gold, to keep you as a cardholder. In the unlikely event that they don't proactively offer, you can ask if they have a variation without an AF (knowing that they do), and they'll offer the Blue card.

Well I bit the bullet and signed up for the Delta Gold card. It offered to have an additional card added . . . is that a good idea for hubby? Would he also get the 70,000 sign on bonus too? Or if he signed up completely separate would he? Between airfare and tickets for our trip we will be spending enough to reach the threshholds.

Well I bit the bullet and signed up for the Delta Gold card. It offered to have an additional card added . . . is that a good idea for hubby? Would he also get the 70,000 sign on bonus too? Or if he signed up completely separate would he? Between airfare and tickets for our trip we will be spending enough to reach the threshholds.
Don't add hubby as an additional card holder. He would not get the sign on bonus as an additional card holder. I don't have any Delta cards so I do not know if they offer you any additional points for supporting someone to get their own card. If they do then you can support your hubby to get his own card and he would earn a sign up bonus as well once he meets the spend requirement.

Hilton stays- don't they usually give like 250 points a night,even for points bookings?I stayed 8 nights on points, booked thru Hilton site. I also used Lyft pink with the Hilton promo...don't see any points added for that either..... what am I missing here?

Good morning...

If a person currently had 6 active CIU, and was itching for a new SUB to meet... and is currently 2/24...

Would you recommend going for another CIU (maybe closing out one of the older ones first), or doing the Chase IHG personal for 165K points? I have recently discovered I find value in IHG points because I have traveled to some places I wouldn't normally go and I just get basic rooms at basic hotels.
Also a big fan of IHG for specific purposes. Some pros of the IHG premier card:
- book 3 nts on points, get the fourth night free
-annual 40k pt FNC
- Platinum status
- Global entry/pre-check reimbursement

From a pure points vs spend benefit ratio, however, assuming you went with another Ink flavor, you could net 75k + 40k support UR= 115k UR. Technically you could cash out your UR at .01 cent each for $1150. You could buy IHG points at .005 during their frequent points bonuses= 230k IHG points vs 165k with the premier. However, this isn't an apples to apples comparison, because the MSR on an Ink flavor is double that of the IHG. Having actually done the comparison, I think the IHG is a pretty decent card option for someone who finds value in IHG properties.

Hilton stays- don't they usually give like 250 points a night,even for points bookings?I stayed 8 nights on points, booked thru Hilton site. I also used Lyft pink with the Hilton promo...don't see any points added for that either..... what am I missing here?

How MyWay benefits work​

With every stay, you'll get something special at any of our brands. Keep in mind benefits can vary depending on the brand.
Choose from benefits like:

Food & beverage credit or continental breakfast*​

Choose from a daily credit for food and drinks, any time of day, at select brands in the U.S. or enjoy complimentary continental breakfast.

Bonus Points​

Opt for more Points to use for a future stay. Earn up to 1,000 Bonus Points during your stay, depending on the brand.

Welcome Snack​

Choose this MyWay benefit and a welcome snack and drink will be waiting for you when you arrive at select hotels.

think this is what you are refering too. can get one of the 3.

Also a big fan of IHG for specific purposes. Some pros of the IHG premier card:
- book 3 nts on points, get the fourth night free
-annual 40k pt FNC
- Platinum status
- Global entry/pre-check reimbursement

From a pure points vs spend benefit ratio, however, assuming you went with another Ink flavor, you could net 75k + 40k support UR= 115k UR. Technically you could cash out your UR at .01 cent each for $1150. You could buy IHG points at .005 during their frequent points bonuses= 230k IHG points vs 165k with the premier. However, this isn't an apples to apples comparison, because the MSR on an Ink flavor is double that of the IHG. Having actually done the comparison, I think the IHG is a pretty decent card option for someone who finds value in IHG properties.

I'm happy with IHG also. I took advantage of getting the business card with the higher SUB recently.

Now I get 2 FNC's per year, plus points to use. They work great for stops on I 95 while I'm driving back and forth to Florida. I have the $49 card plus the business card, so low cost AF's. I figure the SUB will be good for about 7 more 'road' nights and by that time, I can try churning the business card.

Platinum status - well they offered me something from the pantry or points. On the way down, it was 'anything' including the $5 hagen daz (which I didn't need anyway - too rich!) On the way back, that desk person got picky and directed me to the cheaper stuff. I usually get pringles or something and my grands look for it in my car.

Same thing happens when I stay at Fairfield Marriotts. None of them will let me have a beer! So I end up with pringles or candy.

IHG at the beach does offer me free house beer or wine, and I usually take it as I've got an ocean front balcony to sit on. On a similar note, years ago, visiting the Liberty Bell, and other historical stuff in Philly, while checking into a very old downtown Hyatt, they served wine to you as they checked you in. I loved it. And I loved the suite, but have never gotten back.

So this is making me rethink my reservation on my way to Florida in 3 weeks. I booked a Choice hotel to use up some points. I need to switch to IHG so the kids can get some pringles!

Rambling on here, just yesterday I was locked out of my IHG account and had to call to get back in. After the successful call, I was asked if I wanted some points for listening to their vacation club spiel. I said okay since it was by phone. It was 500 points and only took about a minute and a half, because after telling them I 'already own a timeshare and have booked all my next year's trips,' they said here's your points buh bye and hung up very quickly, looking for a more likely prospect.

Would love some advice!
DS getting married in April. He'd really like his former nanny to be there. She lives in Budapest. 2 years ago we flew her and her 2 boys o Paris so we could take them to Disney. My son has an extremely close relationship with her.

she's going to try to get her new passport expedited and apply for evista vs a visa.

I'm paying her airfare.

several options:

pay with my Ink to finish SUB, pay with or use MR (amex Plat) for insurance, if it would cover her, use chase portal to book or transfer points to airline to book. (CSP)

no non stops to ewr, phl or jfk. united has code share with lufthansa and swiss air but looks like a little over 1 hour connection in Munich coming which seems too close, (although all EU so no customs), all on lufthansa, then back is on swiss air thru zurich . guessing since 1 ticket, bag is checked thru.

looked at AA (i have a lot of miles), they route thru LHR with a 3 hour layover making a long travel day! (into phl or ewr)

I wish I knew in January he really wanted her there! oh well, will try my best. I love the idea of her being here helping him get ready for his wedding day. I had also flown her here for his Bar Mitzvah.

and I'm off to see the mouse in the morning!

Marty's mom

DH and I finally got approved for the elusive Venture X. Can you hold the Venture at the same time? Trying to decide if we apply for them or not.
I have a Venture X and a Venture One. the Venture One was a PC from an ancient card that doesn't exist anymore though.

I'm happy with IHG also. I took advantage of getting the business card with the higher SUB recently.

Now I get 2 FNC's per year, plus points to use. They work great for stops on I 95 while I'm driving back and forth to Florida. I have the $49 card plus the business card, so low cost AF's. I figure the SUB will be good for about 7 more 'road' nights and by that time, I can try churning the business card.

Platinum status - well they offered me something from the pantry or points. On the way down, it was 'anything' including the $5 hagen daz (which I didn't need anyway - too rich!) On the way back, that desk person got picky and directed me to the cheaper stuff. I usually get pringles or something and my grands look for it in my car.

Same thing happens when I stay at Fairfield Marriotts. None of them will let me have a beer! So I end up with pringles or candy.

IHG at the beach does offer me free house beer or wine, and I usually take it as I've got an ocean front balcony to sit on. On a similar note, years ago, visiting the Liberty Bell, and other historical stuff in Philly, while checking into a very old downtown Hyatt, they served wine to you as they checked you in. I loved it. And I loved the suite, but have never gotten back.
I have appreciated your previous IHG comments, we both have the personal card (no longer $49 AF!). May have DH get the biz card, he uses his FN easily when helping with scuba classes.

DD is doing a bucket list for the next week and a half, flying to Peru. She just came by so younger DD could drop her off at Dulles for her middle of the night flight. A friend will be meeting up with her in Peru and then they will climb the mountains to visit Machu Picchu.

I'd always had it in the back of my mind as a place I would visit some day but the right time never came along for me. I'm glad my DD is going ahead and doing it now. Her cousin went a few years ago and marveled at the whole experience. I'm living vicariously through their experiences, somewhat as I do when I read about trips on here. My anxiety is too much for heights to allow me to do these things now.

DD is doing a bucket list for the next week and a half, flying to Peru. She just came by so younger DD could drop her off at Dulles for her middle of the night flight. A friend will be meeting up with her in Peru and then they will climb the mountains to visit Machu Picchu.

I'd always had it in the back of my mind as a place I would visit some day but the right time never came along for me. I'm glad my DD is going ahead and doing it now. Her cousin went a few years ago and marveled at the whole experience. I'm living vicariously through their experiences, somewhat as I do when I read about trips on here. My anxiety is too much for heights to allow me to do these things now.

My DS has just booked a trip to Peru and Machu Picchu in May. We sure gave him the travel bug - he always seems to be off somewhere.

Congrats! Based on the cc history you've shared, you and your husband should have no trouble getting approvals for your first few cards. As someone else already confirmed, it is not a good idea to add spouses as an authorized user because that earns no bonus pts for either of you. He should apply for his own card and get the sign up bonus (SUB), but he should apply through your new card's "support link." That should earn you additional pts for "supporting" his application.

I would love to see Machu Piccu but I think I would struggle to climb that far. I did do more hiking and climbing in Costa Rica last than I thought could but still seems more difficult. Also, I looked up flights to Peru for fun last year and discovered It would take us a day to get there. No direct flights for us and frankly, that's the part I'm too old for now.

He would not get the bonus. It's just another card that charges to your account. The bonus is linked to the account. Occasionally there will be offers of bonus points to add an Authorized User. His spend would count towards your totals.
As someone else already confirmed, it is not a good idea to add spouses as an authorized user because that earns no bonus pts for either of you. He should apply for his own card and get the sign up bonus (SUB), but he should apply through your new card's "support link." That should earn you additional pts for "supporting" his application.
I disagree, it depends entirely on what your goals are. If the goal is to maximize SUBs then yes, it makes much more sense to open accounts in each name. If the goal is to get cards to maximize the rewards and keep them. It makes more sense to get AU cards for spouses. My wife is an AU on all of my cards but one, makes it easier when I tell her to use a specific card for something to maximize the rewards.

I would love to see Machu Piccu but I think I would struggle to climb that far. I did do more hiking and climbing in Costa Rica last than I thought could but still seems more difficult. Also, I looked up flights to Peru for fun last year and discovered It would take us a day to get there. No direct flights for us and frankly, that's the part I'm too old for now.

Just a suggestion for you and anyone else in the same boat or the new comers to the thread.

This is where positioning and stopovers can come in handy. When there are no direct flights from your home airport, you may want to consider positioning to a city that does have the direct flight to where you want to go and add that city as part of your vacation. Stay and explore the area for a night or two or more, then fly out to the destination.

If you utilize an airline that allows stopovers, you aren't out a whole other set of points for that first flight either. Otherwise a cheap flight with a different airline to position. Those of you who have been on this thread for a few years already know the following but I have noticed we have some newer folks, so food for thought below.

We have done this over the years for a number of different reasons and still do. We have done it to fly a specific plane and have a unique flight experience, like first class in Emirates with the shower on the plane, we had to position from MIA to IAH to fly that plane. The same flight allowed a stopover so we got two vacations in one. We flew to Dubai, stopped over for a for a few days and then flew on to the Maldives. To fly the Singapore suites, we had to position to New York to fly on that plane. We have done it to simply break up an otherwise long flight. When flying to Hawaii (we are in Miami) we have often stopped for a couple of days in DLR first before continuing on to Hawaii.

I've lost count of the number of times we have positioned out of New York or back into NY simply because getting the flights we wanted with miles was easier and we usually make a mini trip out of it. We are doing that again this summer on our way to Athens. Emirates has a fifth freedom flight out of EWR that is direct. This means the taxes are low on the flight. I purchased an Emirates Skywards subscription for a year, with then which saved me 52,500 miles and that was more in value than the price of the subscription. So for that trip we are using United Travel Bank funds to fly to NY. Free night certs to stay at the Conrad for a couple of days and we will catch a show and do some touristy things I'm sure. Then it's off to Greece.

Lastly positioning has also worked when all my plans for a specific trip and how I am going to get there fail epically. Most recently we flew to Egypt and every plan I had to get there using miles was a failure. So I unexpectedly wound up going to London a few days earlier over New Year's Eve than my Egypt trip, stopped over for the weekend and flew to Cairo from there.

The point of all of this being, if time allows for it but the flights are inconvenient for whatever reason, think about positioning elsewhere and adding a mini trip to your real trip. Hope this helps :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter