I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Hi! I haven’t posted on this thread in a long time since we have pretty much been out of the CC game for awhile now. However, we have some big bills coming that we can pay on a cc without an additional fee so I figured I might and look to see what a good SUB might be to take advantage of.

We have a good amount of MR and UR from CSR and Amex Plats that we have had in the past. Those were supposed to be for New Zealand and Paris but Covid and life happened so those trips are all but cancelled or moved a few years down the road (pretty much Paris only) I haven’t really touched the MR, because I don’t really see a good redemption outside of long haul flights. Can anyone provide insight?

We are both at 1/24.
Currently both have CSP (2021 & 2023), Freedoms, Freedom Flex (P1) and Freedom Unlimited (P2). P1 has a Free Version of the Ink. Both have Amex Blue Business Plus

We are planning a Disneyland/San Diego trip in 2025 so would like to use points for that. We fly whatever is cheapest (Southwest is usually far from that at our airport) but have more United miles than anything else, but still only a few thousand. United has a hub at our home airport.

Thanks for the help on reccomendatioan for a new CC.

Once again 11 pages to read....but update first.

Pretty sure Ireland is cancelled. In Vegas I hurt my hip. I mentioned throwing out my back. On 2/22 I woke to the hip pain. on 2/25 I threw out my back. On 2/26 I went to urgent care where they gave me Flexeril and 800 Ibuprofen. On 2/28 I went to the ER. They gave me Robaxin and pain patches. Well on 3/3 I went back to a different ER and was admitted. They pumped me w/ morphine which did nothing. Finally Oxy took the pain away. But all the meds led to insane nausea. So I actually wished back the pain. I got my wish :( I'm home now, the MRI showed bulge in my discs. I'm waiting on PT. The DR felt I could still pull off Ireland, but I think I'm too paranoid to go w/ just my 19yo if something happened. I offered to make it up, and do a weekend in Dublin ASAP. She said she'd rather do Mexico, LOL. So I guess we'll look at that.

I haven't been to school much in the last 2 weeks. I went in Tuesday and Friday the first week. This week I've been out all week. The DR was hoping I could get into PT right away, but I can't :( That's why I think I have to put off Ireland. I'm still in pain. I'm taking Tylenol and Robaxin at home, but not getting much relief.

My daughter for sure is depressed. I do an annual calendar w/ photos from the year before. There is a photo of us on the plane to BOS last year (before it got cancelled). She doesn't remember that AT ALL! She doesn't remember that we almost missed the flight, that we were on the plane, that we had to exit the side emergency exit, etc. She spent yesterday talking to her therapist about it. I try to talk to her, but it depends on the version of her I get. Right now, she's been taking her meds, so I get the "good" version of her.
Off topic/on topic - just advice in case you're looking for unsolicited advice.
Ask for Gabapentin to get you through (get you by) if your herniation pain is due to the sciatic nerve being triggered by the bulging. Without going into all of the details, I had back surgery a couple of years ago for a badly herniated disc. I waited for 8 months to have the surgery because I was nervous of the surgery itself. I wish that I hadn't waited. But after the surgery - at six weeks - I still could not sit without pain. Enter Gabapentin. It's a nerve medication and it honestly worked for me right from the start.

Two things though-1) they may not issue Gabapentin if one has a history of depression or anxiety. Gabapentin is said to have some weird side effects sometimes including bad thoughts. I only had a bit of "slowness" or drowsiness as an effect, but my cousin was given Gabapentin when she had cancer (metastatic cancer, and she has since passed) and experienced no side effects from it. 2) at the same time that I had a back herniation my coworker had a bulge. His bulge eventually resolved on it's own, but he did experience a lot of pain until that happened. Herniations don't un-herniate, but bulges can eventually resolve themselves. Also, one more thing, I'd go to an anti inflammatory diet until that resolves. Anything you can do to reduce the swelling in your body will help.

Hi! I haven’t posted on this thread in a long time since we have pretty much been out of the CC game for awhile now. However, we have some big bills coming that we can pay on a cc without an additional fee so I figured I might and look to see what a good SUB might be to take advantage of.

We have a good amount of MR and UR from CSR and Amex Plats that we have had in the past. Those were supposed to be for New Zealand and Paris but Covid and life happened so those trips are all but cancelled or moved a few years down the road (pretty much Paris only) I haven’t really touched the MR, because I don’t really see a good redemption outside of long haul flights. Can anyone provide insight?

We are both at 1/24.
Currently both have CSP (2021 & 2023), Freedoms, Freedom Flex (P1) and Freedom Unlimited (P2). P1 has a Free Version of the Ink. Both have Amex Blue Business Plus

We are planning a Disneyland/San Diego trip in 2025 so would like to use points for that. We fly whatever is cheapest (Southwest is usually far from that at our airport) but have more United miles than anything else, but still only a few thousand. United has a hub at our home airport.

Thanks for the help on reccomendatioan for a new CC.
Welcome back….you could have P1 generate a support link so P2 can apply for a CIC or CIU

Question about the Citi AA World Elite MC... I've not had this one before (I have had the Biz, which has been closed for a couple of years now I think).

If I were to be approved for this (or any other) AA Card, and I have a flight coming up on AA metal but booked with Avios from British Airways, would I get a free checked bag as a result of having the card? it's not a deal breaker but it would be nice as the upcoming flight might require me to bring warmer clothes (Dayton OH in mid April).

Do you get onboard credit with Costco? Like, does it work like a normal travel agent? The onboard credit is the reason I book with a TA, but I do prefer not having to email and wait if I want to change/add something. I like to be able to control our own reservations.
I know lots of people use Costco as their TA and love it, but I didn’t care for it. They give a healthy Costco gift card based on the price of the cruise, but my experience was several hours on hold to book on opening day.

With my TA, I talk to her about what we are interested in and she gets me pricing and handles the booking. I may not be getting as much of a credit, but it’s a huge time saver and stress relief. And I can’t imagine what a nightmare dealing with Costco was during Covid. I had to reschedule a cruise with my TA and it was a piece of cake.

Give me my TA every time.

Got caught up on my hotel reviews. I like doing them as sort of a travel journal. :)

Went to Los Angeles over winter break with the impetus being to use up the $250 Aspire credits x3 before the end of the year. Met up with friends and family. Took the kids shopping, including Little Tokyo, which we haven't been since college days. It was bustling!

We stayed at:
Waldorf Astoria Monarch Beach
The Shay
Oceana Santa Monica

On a separate trip without the kids, we went to Impression Moxche by Secrets in Playa del Carmen. With a pre-flight stay at the Grand Hyatt SFO:
Grand Hyatt SFO
Impression Moxche by Secrets

All on points or FNC, except for 1 night (I get too hung up on cpp sometimes). I love this hobby. :D

Impression Moxche by Secrets:

IMG_6207.jpeg

Last edited:
Question about the Citi AA World Elite MC... I've not had this one before (I have had the Biz, which has been closed for a couple of years now I think).

If I were to be approved for this (or any other) AA Card, and I have a flight coming up on AA metal but booked with Avios from British Airways, would I get a free checked bag as a result of having the card? it's not a deal breaker but it would be nice as the upcoming flight might require me to bring warmer clothes (Dayton OH in mid April).
Yes, you will get your AA benefits when booking with Avios. I learned the best way to do this is, book your flight with Avios, get your confirmation number, then do a chat with AA to have your reservation linked to AA. It will then show up on your AA reservation page, and you will get any benefits you would if you booked directly with AA.

Got caught up on my hotel reviews. I like doing them as sort of a travel journal. :)

Went to Los Angeles over winter break with the impetus being to use up the $250 Aspire credits x3 before the end of the year. Met up with friends and family. Took the kids shopping, including Little Tokyo, which we haven't been since college days. It was bustling!

We stayed at:
The Shay
Oceana Santa Monica

On a separate trip without the kids, we went to Impression Moxche by Secrets in Play del Carmen. With a pre-flight stay at the Grand Hyatt SFO:
Grand Hyatt SFO

All on points or FNC, except for 1 night (I get too hung up on cpp sometimes). I love this hobby. :D

View attachment 840030
Thank you for all of your reviews. I really need to add things to that thread. We've stayed at Monarch Beach before and really liked it there, and we are considering the newer SFO Hyatt for those early morning flights (jealous you can just hop on BART and get there), so it's really helpful to know that someone here likes it. We used to stay at the airport Hyatt down 101 when we had early flights, but lately I've just been getting up in the dark to get there on time. Also, nice use of those Aspire credits - the new 6 months deal is making it much harder for me to figure it out.

Do you get onboard credit with Costco? Like, does it work like a normal travel agent? The onboard credit is the reason I book with a TA, but I do prefer not having to email and wait if I want to change/add something. I like to be able to control our own reservations.

With Costco, you don't get a specific TA. It's whoever answers when you call. It's been several years since we booked a Disney cruise, but last I looked the perk was about 7% of the pre-tax cruise fare as a Costco GC.

They're the only TA I know of that gives a perk for booking Disney, so we went through them for our Disney cruises. The other cruise lines I've been able to find better deals going through Cruise Compete.

Yes, you will get your AA benefits when booking with Avios. I learned the best way to do this is, book your flight with Avios, get your confirmation number, then do a chat with AA to have your reservation linked to AA. It will then show up on your AA reservation page, and you will get any benefits you would if you booked directly with AA.
I wish I would have thought to call. I did this last year. Booked an AA flight with Avios. After Googling, I followed some crazy instructions that involved linking my flight to Finnair, which then would link my flight to AA... I don't remember exactly how this worked but calling would have been easier.

Last edited:
They're the only TA I know of that gives a perk for booking Disney,
You mean outside of the TAs that cater to Disney travel, right? Dreams onboard credit is about 5%
I know lots of people use Costco as their TA and love it, but I didn’t care for it. They give a healthy Costco gift card based on the price of the cruise, but my experience was several hours on hold to book on opening day.

With my TA, I talk to her about what we are interested in and she gets me pricing and handles the booking. I may not be getting as much of a credit, but it’s a huge time saver and stress relief. And I can’t imagine what a nightmare dealing with Costco was during Covid. I had to reschedule a cruise with my TA and it was a piece of cake.

Give me my TA every time.
I can certainly understand that! Really, I appreciate the convenience and prefer onboard credit to a Costco GC. But sometimes, if I'm hunting for a specific room that later becomes available, I'd like to be able to switch it more easily than sending my TA an email and hope they see it in time. Maybe I can look for another TA that takes phone calls and that might work better for me

FYI, maybe you won't have this problem if you call AA, but for me - I automatically got the upgraded boarding group. I tried to check a bag at the kiosk. It would not give me my free checked bag. I had to go to the check in desk, and the woman there needed to get her supervisor's permission, but i did eventually get my free checked bag. Just a warning so you don't freak out like I did and maybe leave some extra time to deal with the issue if it happens.

You mean outside of the TAs that cater to Disney travel, right? Dreams onboard credit is about 5%

I can certainly understand that! Really, I appreciate the convenience and prefer onboard credit to a Costco GC. But sometimes, if I'm hunting for a specific room that later becomes available, I'd like to be able to switch it more easily than sending my TA an email and hope they see it in time. Maybe I can look for another TA that takes phone calls and that might work better for me
I text, call, and email my TA and she is super responsive. I told her the room number I wanted for our upcoming cruise and she got it done. Happy to pass along her contact info if interested.

Just checked my DH's CSP CL, and it's only $5K. I was hoping to PC to CSR, but I know you have to have $10k. The only cards with CL he could move are biz cards, and I don't think you can do that. WWYD? Is PC from CSP to CSR worth a hard pull for the credit line increase? Basically we'd be wanting CSR for travel credits/PP lounge access and rental insurance. Not sure if that would also restart his 4 year clock, if they have to hard pull.

We stayed at:
The Shay
Oceana Santa Monica

On a separate trip without the kids, we went to Impression Moxche by Secrets in Playa del Carmen. With a pre-flight stay at the Grand Hyatt SFO:
Grand Hyatt SFO

View attachment 840030
Thanks for the Hyatt SFO review- got one night planned here on way back from Fiji.....

Just checked my DH's CSP CL, and it's only $5K. I was hoping to PC to CSR, but I know you have to have $10k. The only cards with CL he could move are biz cards, and I don't think you can do that. WWYD? Is PC from CSP to CSR worth a hard pull for the credit line increase? Basically we'd be wanting CSR for travel credits/PP lounge access and rental insurance. Not sure if that would also restart his 4 year clock, if they have to hard pull.
interesting question..... I was wondering this myself. Also wonder if I could pull some CL from a branded card (IHG) to a Freedom or is that not allowed either?

A small vent......!!

Has anyone here ever booked a vacation, in this case to Disney, when someone very closely related by blood to your family suddenly says, I want to go? But never uttered a single thought in the last nine months while reservations were being made, flights were being scheduled, road trip planned, meals set up, tickets purchased for those without tickets????
And who has been there but has not wanted to go on this trip or others similar?

And now out of the blue is coming????

Yes, I'm dealing with this right now.

Points to the rescue.

Separate room booked for arrival night at the airport.
Checked for flight - available, but they have to pay for that one, coming and going.
Separate room booked in Lake Buena Vista with a free shuttle and free breakfast. (Nothing at my Grand Floridian Villas but just in case I put in a waitlist.)
They can share our room and park plans during the days but must sleep elsewhere.

All the meals I've booked for 5, we will show up with 6 as I think that ship has sailed and if not accommodated, fast food for them. (I'm being a bit heartless now.) But, Boathouse, Brown Derby, Le Cellier, Grand Floridian Cafe - pretty sure we will all get in. We are doing quick service and offsite as well. I want to go to a pizza spot I like.

Oh and Disney ticket - I have a 5day one park per day that can be switched to date based - I've already called. I'm amazing. This ticket was purchased for them and they didn't go way back when. Have kept it in my stash.

Transportation back and forth to airport - will switch it to an Uber for 2-3 people depending on who wants to ride with whom.

This is my DD's husband, my son in law, who doesn't really enjoy theme parks but now wants to come.
DD is now in a taxi on her way to her Sacred Valley hotel from Lima. @FreeDiningFanatic - they stayed at Crowne Plaza at Lima airport, huge room, but nothing special otherwise - definitely adequate. They are on their way to the marriott.
So I'm in travel agent mode.

This is the guy who has done many projects for me and saved me loads of contractor money. I couldn't say no.

A small vent......!!

Has anyone here ever booked a vacation, in this case to Disney, when someone very closely related by blood to your family suddenly says, I want to go? But never uttered a single thought in the last nine months while reservations were being made, flights were being scheduled, road trip planned, meals set up, tickets purchased for those without tickets????
And who has been there but has not wanted to go on this trip or others similar?

And now out of the blue is coming????

Yes, I'm dealing with this right now.

Points to the rescue.

Separate room booked for arrival night at the airport.
Checked for flight - available, but they have to pay for that one, coming and going.
Separate room booked in Lake Buena Vista with a free shuttle and free breakfast. (Nothing at my Grand Floridian Villas but just in case I put in a waitlist.)
They can share our room and park plans during the days but must sleep elsewhere.

All the meals I've booked for 5, we will show up with 6 as I think that ship has sailed and if not accommodated, fast food for them. (I'm being a bit heartless now.) But, Boathouse, Brown Derby, Le Cellier, Grand Floridian Cafe - pretty sure we will all get in. We are doing quick service and offsite as well. I want to go to a pizza spot I like.

Oh and Disney ticket - I have a 5day one park per day that can be switched to date based - I've already called. I'm amazing. This ticket was purchased for them and they didn't go way back when. Have kept it in my stash.

Transportation back and forth to airport - will switch it to an Uber for 2-3 people depending on who wants to ride with whom.

This is my DD's husband, my son in law, who doesn't really enjoy theme parks but now wants to come.
DD is now in a taxi on her way to her Sacred Valley hotel from Lima. @FreeDiningFanatic - they stayed at Crowne Plaza at Lima airport, huge room, but nothing special otherwise - definitely adequate. They are on their way to the marriott.
So I'm in travel agent mode.

This is the guy who has done many projects for me and saved me loads of contractor money. I couldn't say no.
I have been there! Know the pain, but what can you do? It's family... One time it was my mother, she suddenly wanted to drive up from So. FL, where she lives, to meet us at WDW even though she had been saying no, too busy, during the planning process. Luckily CMs can be accommodating for dining reservations. It was my mother--I couldn't say no, lol

Glad you had patience and were able to turn things around for your son-in-law at the last minute

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter