I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Just wanted to check on paying taxes with a credit card--how much is the typical fee? We just paid our property taxes (ouch) on a cc but the fee was like 2% (earns 3% so it was ok but still). Is it a similar situation for federal taxes?

Also, any suggestions to learn more about Amex. I keep seeing it recommended but the AF seems really high. P2 has a business Plat but work pays for it and I think he just gets the status rewards (most not useful to us). We have a pretty high monthly spend, always pay it off. Should I be looking at Amex? I'm 5/24 right now so thinking for the future.

I also wanted to share an oops data point that I was worried would be pretty bad. I have excellent credit and my longest card was from college 20+ years ago. It was overlooked and they closed it due to inactivity. I was worried I'd take a hit (we didn't quite realize it, but I was AU on our shared cards and somehow ended up with nothing in my name) but the impact has been pretty minimal and I had no problems opening new cards. We both have excellent credit and a high income so I'm sure that factors in but am glad the length didn't turn out to be a huge deal.

Just wanted to check on paying taxes with a credit card--how much is the typical fee? We just paid our property taxes (ouch) on a cc but the fee was like 2% (earns 3% so it was ok but still). Is it a similar situation for federal taxes?
Yes. Easy to google it. Format is better than my copy/paste. there are 3 processors -

1)payUSAtax​

Paying by debit card?
$2.14

Paying by credit card?
1.82%

Minimum fee $2.69

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE, Accel
Digital wallet
PayPal, Click to Pay

2)Pay1040​

Paying by consumer or personal debit card?
$2.50 or 1.87%

• $2.50 flat fee for consumer or personal debit card
  • 1.87% for other debit cards
    (minimum fee $2.50)
Paying by credit card?
1.87%

Minimum fee $2.50

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE, Accel, AFFN, Cirrus, Interlink, Jeanie, Shazam, Maestro
Digital wallet
Click to Pay; PayPal
Pay with cash
VanillaDirect

3)ACI Payments, Inc.​

Paying by debit card?
$2.20

Paying by credit card?
1.98%

Minimum fee $2.50

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE
Digital wallet
PayPal, Click to Pay, Venmo
Pay with cash
VanillaDirect

Yes. Easy to google it. Format is better than my copy/paste. there are 3 processors -

1)payUSAtax​

Paying by debit card?
$2.14

Paying by credit card?
1.82%

Minimum fee $2.69

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE, Accel
Digital wallet
PayPal, Click to Pay

2)Pay1040​

Paying by consumer or personal debit card?
$2.50 or 1.87%

• $2.50 flat fee for consumer or personal debit card
  • 1.87% for other debit cards
    (minimum fee $2.50)
Paying by credit card?
1.87%

Minimum fee $2.50

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE, Accel, AFFN, Cirrus, Interlink, Jeanie, Shazam, Maestro
Digital wallet
Click to Pay; PayPal
Pay with cash
VanillaDirect

3)ACI Payments, Inc.​

Paying by debit card?
$2.20

Paying by credit card?
1.98%

Minimum fee $2.50

Payment accepted
Debit/Credit card

Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express, STAR, Pulse, NYCE
Digital wallet
PayPal, Click to Pay, Venmo
Pay with cash
VanillaDirect
So sounds pretty close to the same idea as property taxes. Thank you!

I feel like I need a new card ASAP, it has to be business, but there is nothing standing out to me. I have 2 CICs 2 CIUs and just got my last one in Nov. So I guess I could get an ink. I'm about to get a new car this week, and can put $1k on a CC, but I doubt I can get a card before then. I might just put it on the Surpass towards the FNC. Any business suggestions that are good right now? Is the Aaviator Biz an option? I could probably churn that.

I did get to use my IHG FNC before it expired! Friday morning my son woke up and asked to go to the NCAA playoffs to watch UM. I quickly checked ticket prices, loads on the flight, a rental car, and IHG hotel options. And all the stars aligned. We got to watch UM win from some awesome seats! My son wanted to stay so we could watch the game last night too, but damn school, LOL.

Just happy the room didn't go to waste. We're hoping we pull off Punta Cana this weekend! And then we have Vegas at the end of the month. Then I'm sure I'll be cut off for awhile, LOL.

DP: I received a $50 Statement Credit on all of my Hilton Business cards for a $50 online gift card purchase (https://www.buyhiltongiftcards.com/)

So, the new credit does work on Biz for online GCs to help use them up (off sets the entire $195 fee over the 4 quarters). This makes the Biz card a keeper for me to generate 5x HHonors as needed on non category spend.

I forgot to try this! GRRRR! Well guess I'll go ahead and do it now for this quarter. Glad to see a DP that it works!

View attachment 847283
I got this on my IHG Card, but it doesn't say what offer was activated. I don't know if I could send them a SM and ask. So strange. I also got a message on DH's Hyatt card that he was already enrolled in that offer, but I have no idea what that offer is lol!
I had that happen on my IHG card before too! I found an email that had the offer details eventually. There is just nothing remotely helpful on that screen to deduce what the offer may be. Looking at the terms I see "... at or above the specified target..." Specified where ?!? Seemed to have forgotten something.

Worth a shot calling or SMing to find out if they can see it.

I'm staying in Hollywood in August with my mother for 2 nights after a Disneyland trip. She's never been so I want to do a couple of studio tours, show her a little of what's left of old Hollywood, and maybe take her to Santa Monica. I have The Shay booked but just saw that the Andaz Hollywood and the Dream Hollywood have standard suites available and I have a SUA I need to use by the end of the year anyway. It would give us more room, but I've heard some negative reviews about the properties (old or loud). Any experience in those hotels?

Also, any suggestions to learn more about Amex. I keep seeing it recommended but the AF seems really high.
Which Amex are you looking at? There are many-some have high AFs, some don't. I have the Everyday which earns URs with no AF. I upgraded to the Preferred Everyday with a $95 AF when they offered a significant upgrade offer. Then after a year I downgraded back down until the next decent offer.

MRs can be transferred to many travel partners.

Last edited:
So my Japan ticket saga is resolved. I was very nervous because the number chase travel gave me wasn’t for United but for skyline travel. They charged me $897 to cancel the tickets and told me eventually I would get my points back. The reservation was canceled on United but I still could see it on chase travel. Called this morning and they called United to confirm cancellation and refunded my points. I now have about 800k urs. I’m thinking about trying to find a cruise to do with my mom before my kids start fall semester. I’m really worried about her being alone this summer because most of her friends are snowbirds.

Which Amex are you looking at? There are many-some have high AFs, some don't. I have the Everyday which earns URs with no AF. I upgraded to the Preferred Everyday with a $95 AF when they offered a significant upgrade offer. Then after a year I downgraded back down until the next decent offer.

URs are can be transferred to many travel partners.

Can a gold card be product changed to the everyday? DH and I both have gold cards that I'm probably going to cancel when the annual fee comes up next month. Could it be product changed to a preferred, or would I have to apply for one?

We each have an AmEx savings account, so we wouldn't lose our UR points, but I'm not sure what all we can do with them if we don't have a card.

DP: I received a $50 Statement Credit on all of my Hilton Business cards for a $50 online gift card purchase (https://www.buyhiltongiftcards.com/)

So, the new credit does work on Biz for online GCs to help use them up (off sets the entire $195 fee over the 4 quarters). This makes the Biz card a keeper for me to generate 5x HHonors as needed on non category spend.
Can you explain this? How did you find/get a $50 credit?

URs are can be transferred to many travel partners.
Can you tell me why you pc up/down with this card? I'm coming up on a year and want to maximize my use of it- unless chase has groceries at 5x I use this card

Can a gold card be product changed to the everyday? DH and I both have gold cards that I'm probably going to cancel when the annual fee comes up next month. Could it be product changed to a preferred, or would I have to apply for one?

We each have an AmEx savings account, so we wouldn't lose our UR points, but I'm not sure what all we can do with them if we don't have a card.
Honestly, I don't know. I have only ever held the Everyday (my oldest card - since 1989!) So far I have only upgraded/downgraded once - within the last 2 years. According the the article below, it looks like you can. Someone on this thread will have an answer for you. If not, you should call or message Amex to find out for sure.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/cr...card/#upgrading-or-downgrading-your-amex-card

If you are talking about the hysa that amex has, there's no MR attached to it.

If it's the checking account, you need to make sure you use it, just read on r/churning yesterday someone who had their checking closed due to inactivity and lost all their MR. Seems they missed all the warnings

Can you tell me why you pc up/down with this card? I'm coming up on a year and want to maximize my use of it- unless chase has groceries at 5x I use this card
Amex offered me 20K MRs with a certain spend (think it was $2k but don't remember). I kept it for a year+ and then downgraded again. Right now, my current offer to upgrade again (appeared within days of downgrading) is 15K MRs for $2k spend within 6 months. I am waiting it out a bit, but will eventually accept the 15K to upgrade.

If you do this, keep each card for at least a year before downgrading again. Do NOT go by when the AF posts as they prorate and it might not be a year since upgrading.

Honestly, I don't know. I have only ever held the Everyday (my oldest card - since 1989!) So far I have only upgraded/downgraded once - within the last 2 years. According the the article below, it looks like you can. Someone on this thread will have an answer for you. If not, you should call or message Amex to find out for sure.

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/cr...card/#upgrading-or-downgrading-your-amex-card

If you are talking about the hysa that amex has, there's no MR attached to it.

If it's the checking account, you need to make sure you use it, just read on r/churning yesterday someone who had their checking closed due to inactivity and lost all their MR. Seems they missed all the warnings

Thank you! I have a Business checking and DH has a personal rewards checking. I had not seem about getting accounts closed, so I probably need to pay for something with the debit cards from the accounts just to be safe.

New Amex Offer
Carnival Cruise Line

Spend $750 or more, get $150 back
Carnival Cruise Line
EXPIRES
08/01/2024

Amex offered me 20K MRs with a certain spend (think it was $2k but don't remember). I kept it for a year+ and then downgraded again. Right now, my current offer to upgrade again (appeared within days of downgrading) is 15K MRs for $2k spend within 6 months. I am waiting it out a bit, but will eventually accept the 15K to upgrade.

If you do this, keep each card for at least a year before downgrading again. Do NOT go by when the AF posts as they prorate and it might not be a year since upgrading.
Thanks- Do you mean they post the AF sooner than a year? Ok I'm looking back and it seems I Upgraded to preferred in July '23 with no AF - should I expect to see AF charged again in July and then pc back to everyday? (after Af is charged or before?)

Last edited:
Thanks- Do you mean they post the AF sooner than a year?
They prorate it at time of upgrade, then charge the full AF at the anniversary of your original card. (I think - someone please correct me if I am wrong.) So when the full AF posts, it might not be a full year since the upgrade.:confused3

So my Japan ticket saga is resolved. I was very nervous because the number chase travel gave me wasn’t for United but for skyline travel. They charged me $897 to cancel the tickets and told me eventually I would get my points back. The reservation was canceled on United but I still could see it on chase travel. Called this morning and they called United to confirm cancellation and refunded my points. I now have about 800k urs. I’m thinking about trying to find a cruise to do with my mom before my kids start fall semester. I’m really worried about her being alone this summer because most of her friends are snowbirds.

Have you given any thought to a river cruise? They are much less crowded than a traditional ocean cruise, you get to see a lot of different and interesting ports and you can go at your own pace.

I was recommending to my sister that she should take her family to Frankfurt for a week this summer -- you can almost replicate a Rhine River cruise from a hotel in Frankfurt. A rail pass that will get you to a lot of the small towns (Rudesheim, Heidelberg, Weisbaden, etc.) is extremely inexpensive for a family of up to 5 (which I believe can be all adults). You don't have to pre-book your seats on the regional trains, you just show up and go, so you aren't tied to times and routes, making travel with your mom easier (if she wants to take a day to rest or sleep late). I would recommend the Westin in Frankfurt -- it's clean, comfortable, quiet and well-located. The major bonus of doing a home base in Frankfurt is you should have a pretty easy time getting flights there since it's one of the hubs for Lufthansa, which is a Star Alliance partner. Just a thought.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter