I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

For our big 2025 trip we are doing a scuba diving trip, not sure exactly where as we just don't have enough points to go anywhere extravagant. We only have 100K URs, 170K MRs, and 140K AA miles, but we have 226K SW miles so will probably go somewhere SW flies. And save our MRs and AA miles for 2026. My dream would be to go to the Galapagos but planning that trip seems overwhelming and SW doesn't fly there.

Any scuba diving suggestion where SW flies?
I would second the suggestions for the Cayman Islands or Belize. I haven't been to Belize, but would like to. We love, love, love the Kimpton Seafire in Grand Cayman. A new Hotel Indigo is opening next door at a cheaper points pricepoint. I think my signature has a how-to on buying points for cheap- would work for either of these properties.

OK, for the IHG FNC, we have one from the Premier card that will be expiring before we can use it. Has anyone successfully gotten theirs extended or gotten points for it recently? We can literally use it less than 30 days after expiration. I tried chatting with IHG, and no dice. If you were successful, did you call Chase or IHG? Not sure who best to contact to see what can be done...

Sorry for the delay- been on Spring/Easter break. Yes, I have successfully gotten mine extended. I do have Diamond status, so I'm not sure if that's why. But I would think they might consider it with your Platinum status. IHG is who you want to call- Chase has nothing to do with it. I would call the IHG Diamond line anyway 1-844-774-7300- it will probably get you a more experience rep and worst case they'll transfer you. I was just looking for a few day extension and she actually extended it through the end of the year. This DP is from the last few months.

HI
not sure what to do. just rec'd P2 statement with AF for his venture x. I don't anticipate being able to go thru the cap 1 portal to book any travel in the near future. dvc for wdw, river cruise booked, hotel and flights booked, . other trips are possibilities but not definite. would use miles for fights and points for hotels.
is there any other way to make use of the $300 travel credit.
assuming no, I'm going to cancel the cad but what can he open to transfer his unused points to or should I just transfer them to Hilton or Marriott or Hyatt

thanks
I was in the same boat. I thought this would be a keeper card and really liked the 2x on everything, but I could never use the $300 credit on the portal without the price being grossly inflated. I found the car rental options to be nearly non-existent. I transferred points to Flying Blue. I believe there is a transfer bonus to Etihad right now, if you have any use for that. I called to cancel and it was painless. I believe they refund AF if canceled within 39 days, but don't quote me on that. She told me specifically on the phone.
I answered my own question here -- Google is a wonderful thing. 8-) We, for certain, are going to have to go through passport security control between 2E and 2F. I hadn't even thought about it! I'm just so glad that I'm not going through AMS security control again! THAT is a huge airport if you've got a connection!

Here's CDG AF 2E and 2F map for anyone's reference:
https://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/terminals-map?terminal=2E&level=2
FYI, the walk from 2E to 2F is very, very long, just in case anyone has mobility issues. If you are flying biz, definitely be sure to keep an eye out for the priority lanes for passport control- it will greatly help expedite things. Just under 2 hours at CDG isn't tight, but it isn't generous, in my opinion.

Long shot but I'm wondering if anyone can help with the logistics with canceling an Amex card because of death. I think my mom's plan is to get her own Platinum card. Previously my dad had one and she had a gold card. It's sort of confusing because they pool MRs and are under the same login but I think they are seperate accounts (meaning I don't think she's an AU on his Platinum card) and I think her Gold card is some kind of legacy product because it doesn't seem to have much in the way of benefits.

Dad paid his annual fee in January. Not sure if they give any sort of pro-rated refund due to death. And I'm not sure what happens to the MRs (only about 90k). Basically I want to preserve her MRs and get her a new card and ask if they will give a partial annual fee refund for his card. Any advice?

I'm trying to make her life as easy as possible. She's never dealt with the taxes before (but thankfully she is very sharp so she'll figure it out). I met their financial advisor and I think he'll take good care of her. We're going to the attorney tomorrow (the list of what they want is insane given that everything goes to her). I'm headed home this weekend but to say I don't want to go would be a massive understatement. I really wish it weren't so expensive to live down here.
Sending hugs your way. I recall reading Amex being very difficult to work with regarding this, so this is what someone might do to best preserve:
- omit notifying Amex of death
- via chat, downgrade to Green ($150) or Gold ($250) for prorated reduced annual fee
- transfer 90k UR to a travel partner
- at renewal, cancel via chat

Long shot but I'm wondering if anyone can help with the logistics with canceling an Amex card because of death. I think my mom's plan is to get her own Platinum card. Previously my dad had one and she had a gold card. It's sort of confusing because they pool MRs and are under the same login but I think they are seperate accounts (meaning I don't think she's an AU on his Platinum card) and I think her Gold card is some kind of legacy product because it doesn't seem to have much in the way of benefits.

Dad paid his annual fee in January. Not sure if they give any sort of pro-rated refund due to death. And I'm not sure what happens to the MRs (only about 90k). Basically I want to preserve her MRs and get her a new card and ask if they will give a partial annual fee refund for his card. Any advice?

I'm trying to make her life as easy as possible. She's never dealt with the taxes before (but thankfully she is very sharp so she'll figure it out). I met their financial advisor and I think he'll take good care of her. We're going to the attorney tomorrow (the list of what they want is insane given that everything goes to her). I'm headed home this weekend but to say I don't want to go would be a massive understatement. I really wish it weren't so expensive to live down here.
I don't know if there is an exception that would allow pro-rating the refund of an AF but I am pretty sure that AmEx does pro-rate the refund for a product change. Maybe downgrade the platinum card to a gold and then cancel next year?

trying again

does anyone have any insight on how to make use of the $300 venture x travel credit if no trips coming up? that may make me decide to close the card. if we do, what should i do with the points/ different card? transfer? virgin has bonus now, no plans but could use them in 2025 for virgin cruise or trip possibly

2nd: if no good retention on amex plat, may have to close. same thing, where to put mr or what to do with them

i don't have any msr right now, putting spend on surpass for fnc so open to ideas

thanks so much

below 5/2, as is p2 and we each have 3 inks currently
Don't have a Venture so can't answer that but could you book a SW flight through the portal and then cancel the SW flight but keep the credit in SW?

I can't remember if you are a fan of AA but right now Citi has a great SUB 75,000 miles for $3,500 MSR in 4 months.

I would second the suggestions for the Cayman Islands or Belize. I haven't been to Belize, but would like to. We love, love, love the Kimpton Seafire in Grand Cayman. A new Hotel Indigo is opening next door at a cheaper points pricepoint. I think my signature has a how-to on buying points for cheap- would work for either of these properties.
Thank you! I'll check it out. I have been doing some research on Belize, I think that might be our first choice since we could do a 3-in-1 vacation. Do some jungle activities, then scuba, then relax a couple of days.

I think the idea to PC, get refund and then cancel is a good one.

I will say for the other, you'll probably end up needing more copies of the death cert than you realize. My mom was surprised on how many places required it to remove his name when both of their names were on something. The city still sends the sewer bill in both their names almost 10 years.

does anyone have any insight on how to make use of the $300 venture x travel credit if no trips coming up? that may make me decide to close the card. if we do, what should i do with the points/ different card? transfer? virgin has bonus now, no plans but could use them in 2025 for virgin cruise or trip possibly

Don't have a Venture so can't answer that but could you book a SW flight through the portal and then cancel the SW flight but keep the credit in SW?

I can't remember if you are a fan of AA but right now Citi has a great SUB 75,000 miles for $3,500 MSR in 4 months.
Unfortunately SW flights can’t be booked through the portal, but along those same lines you can book an AA flight, cancel (cancel on the AA website) and get a future trip credit. I haven’t actually done this, but in theory it should work. This may also work with other airlines, I’m just unfamiliar with their refund and future travel credit options.

Another question, how are you all going to spend your Hilton GCs. I just received my $150 worth of gift cards for first quarter, going to order the next round soon.
I've decided to keep the 2 business cards for another year (since the AF will be $95 for the next year). Should have $600 in GC for this year. Such a pain to keep track of everything. I need to add another tab to my spreadsheet to keep track of all the coupons.

Just booked one night near the Johannesburg Airport using the $150 Delta travel credit.

Does anyone have a good spreadsheet to keep track of all the credits?

Another question, how are you all going to spend your Hilton GCs. I just received my $150 worth of gift cards for first quarter, going to order the next round soon.
I've decided to keep the 2 business cards for another year (since the AF will be $95 for the next year). Should have $600 in GC for this year. Such a pain to keep track of everything. I need to add another tab to my spreadsheet to keep track of all the coupons.

Just booked one night near the Johannesburg Airport using the $150 Delta travel credit.

Not a good one, but I have a tab in my cc/travel excel file for Credits 2024. Headers look something like this:

1712190910987.png
I enter in what I've used and have a formula in the remaining column for anything left over/overspent from the benefit. I have a header for every benefit, like Saks, FHR, Instacart, Aspire quarterly resort credits, airline credits, etc. I also have a section on when I used a Global Entry credit, bc I always seem to be researching that.

Are there any restrictions or issues using the Hilton GCs? We have an upcoming stay at a Hilton, can we use them at the restaurant? (I'm guessing probably not). Maybe only if we are able to charge meals to our room?

Are there any restrictions or issues using the Hilton GCs? We have an upcoming stay at a Hilton, can we use them at the restaurant? (I'm guessing probably not). Maybe only if we are able to charge meals to our room?

The letter that accompanies the gift card states that they can used at on-property restaurants and retail shops, spas & golf courses, and charges to your room.

Sorry for the delay- been on Spring/Easter break. Yes, I have successfully gotten mine extended. I do have Diamond status, so I'm not sure if that's why. But I would think they might consider it with your Platinum status. IHG is who you want to call- Chase has nothing to do with it. I would call the IHG Diamond line anyway 1-844-774-7300- it will probably get you a more experience rep and worst case they'll transfer you. I was just looking for a few day extension and she actually extended it through the end of the year. This DP is from the last few months.
Wow, thank you SO much. This is very helpful info. I'll give it a shot! Glad to hear they extended yours, and through the end of the year no less!!

I think the idea to PC, get refund and then cancel is a good one.

I will say for the other, you'll probably end up needing more copies of the death cert than you realize. My mom was surprised on how many places required it to remove his name when both of their names were on something. The city still sends the sewer bill in both their names almost 10 years.
I think we ordered 14 or some ridiculous number like that.

Annual fee will be $150 going forward. You can get the $50 credit for 4 quarters, so it's net positive. I'll be keeping mine at least a 2nd year. After that I will reevaluate.
will you use the credit on a stay? or @LilSweetPeaPhoto mentoned, buy a gc and apply it to a booking? And you just buy it, and the credit shows up?

Okay, so once again, I'm cancelling a trip, but maybe not. I'll start by asking my question for those in the know w/ Hyatt in Cancun/PDC. Then I'll list all my options. I had 3 FNC booked at the Hideaway Royalton in Punta, but yesterday my pink eye was BAD and I started to get a sore throat. The urgent care Dr promised me he'd have me good to go tomorrow, but I had to cancel the room last night, and I wasn't hopeful. So I cancelled and then of course wake up today and feel 100% better! UGH. Of course I'm far from being 100% healthy, but I feel 100% better. And I'm hoping the meds keep helping!

Okay for Cancun Hyatt people, one of our options is using some URs. We have the option of 2 or 3 nights at the following;
Secrets in Playa Mujeres (I took the kids to Dreams next door last August) for 53k/nt.
Secrets Moxche in PDC for 45k/nt
Impression Moxche PDC for 58k/nt
Which would you suggestion?

Now for the person who truly wants to look at all my options and weigh in....there are 9. Loads look better for Cancun that Punta Cana. We had Punta booked back in Feb with the hope of seeing the whales, but didn't get on the flight. The main reason PC is still on the list is I can use the Marriott FNC, none of the properties in Cancun are low enough right now to use the FNC. My Marriott FNC expire in Nov 2024, our Hilton FNC expire Jan 2025 and I'd have to transfer URs to Hyatt, I only have 87k hyatt right now (I have 650k URs, not sure how many the BF has). And I have like 750k Honors points. Ideally we're going to try for Punta next Feb for whale season. Direct flights from Delta are only in the winter months, so I think this is the last month you can go direct till late Dec.

Option 1 - Hideaway Royalton Punta Cana - 3 FNC + 21k pts (I had it booked for NO extra pts but cancelled....wahhh!) Adults Only!
Option 2- Cancun Hilton PDC (our fav) using either 1 or 2 FNC (if we stay 2 or 3 nights) + 183k no matter (middle of the stay). Big perk, Adults ONLY!
Option 3- Tulum Hilton AI - 2 FNC + 100k (if we stay 3 nights) not adults only
Option 4- Hilton AI (in downtown Cancun) - 2 FNC +100k (if we stay night 3) not adults only
Option 5- Hilton Caribe Cancun(mixed reviews) - 1 FNC + 172k or 2 FNC + 172k OR 1 FNC + 172k + $160 (employee rate, I have $100 in GC too!) not adults only
Option 6- Secrets Cap Cana (Punta Cana) - 44k/nt
Option 7 - Secrets in Playa Mujeres (I took the kids to Dreams next door last August) for 53k/nt
Option 8 - Secrets Moxche in PDC for 45k/nt
Option 9 - Impression Moxche PDC for 58k/nt

Overall my thought is "saving" the Hilton FNCs because we have so many months to still use them. Worst case scenario we'll use the Marriott FNC for Vegas since MGM was just added before Nov. OR I'll take the kids to Mexico this summer (there are some dates I could use them and top off). But I also hoard my URs, LOL. But I know I can earn more of those pretty easy. So what would you do? We'll either go Sat-Tues (6-9) or Sat-Mon (6-8), or Sun-Tues(7-9), LOL.

HELP!!!!!

I'm currently trying to get a 250k offer for the business platinum. So far I've only pulled 190k offers.
I tried for a week to get that 250k offer for P2 with no luck. Settled for the 190k offer since we have a new HVAC installation coming up that will take care of the MSR. [His last one was closed in 2019, and I got the popup when I tried a couple months ago.] Hope you have success with the 250k, it seems like the stars have to align just right for that to happen. Seriously, I read someone say they had four browsers open, and went from one wifi spot to another and another while traveling and kept refreshing the browsers, and they eventually got the offer.
trying again

2nd: if no good retention on amex plat, may have to close. same thing, where to put mr or what to do with them

i don't have any msr right now, putting spend on surpass for fnc so open to ideas

thanks so much

below 5/2, as is p2 and we each have 3 inks currently
Unfortunately SW flights can’t be booked through the portal, but along those same lines you can book an AA flight, cancel (cancel on the AA website) and get a future trip credit. I haven’t actually done this, but in theory it should work. This may also work with other airlines, I’m just unfamiliar with their refund and future travel credit options.
If the choice is to use or lose the $300 travel credit, then buying airfare seems like a decent possibility. Typically flight credits expire a year from original booking (check with the airline you're considering) so go with an airline you'd likely use in the next year.

Both P2 and I have our $300 travel credits still to use. I don't find the car rental option very useful since I often do one-way car rentals and the Cap1 portal requires round trip. Hotels for road trips have been my go-to usage, trying to book hotels that are not in a chain that I'm trying to get elite night credits for. But in a pinch, I would pick airfare if I was coming up against a deadline with no travel plans.

I do have some big spend coming up (see my comment above) so I opened a 190K SUB Biz Plat for P2, and am trying to decide between a CIC/CIP 75K/100K SUB, Citi AAdvantage 75K SUB, and Surpass 155K SUB. Somehow both P2 and I are 1/24 so we have some room to run.
Thank you! I'll check it out. I have been doing some research on Belize, I think that might be our first choice since we could do a 3-in-1 vacation. Do some jungle activities, then scuba, then relax a couple of days.
We really enjoyed our Belize trip in 2017, and mixed up the jungle & beach areas too, staying in San Ignacio at the beginning and Ambergris Caye at the end. We did a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala, and the ATM cave in Belize which were both really cool. We're not scuba divers, but we snorkel, and the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System is supposed to be great for diving/snorkeling. We'll hopefully be snorkeling in Roatan next week (on a cruise) and I just bought a new snorkel set with Rx lenses so I can see.

I tried for a week to get that 250k offer for P2 with no luck. Settled for the 190k offer since we have a new HVAC installation coming up that will take care of the MSR. [His last one was closed in 2019, and I got the popup when I tried a couple months ago.] Hope you have success with the 250k, it seems like the stars have to align just right for that to happen. Seriously, I read someone say they had four browsers open, and went from one wifi spot to another and another while traveling and kept refreshing the browsers, and they eventually got the offer.

If the choice is to use or lose the $300 travel credit, then buying airfare seems like a decent possibility. Typically flight credits expire a year from original booking (check with the airline you're considering) so go with an airline you'd likely use in the next year.

Both P2 and I have our $300 travel credits still to use. I don't find the car rental option very useful since I often do one-way car rentals and the Cap1 portal requires round trip. Hotels for road trips have been my go-to usage, trying to book hotels that are not in a chain that I'm trying to get elite night credits for. But in a pinch, I would pick airfare if I was coming up against a deadline with no travel plans.

I do have some big spend coming up (see my comment above) so I opened a 190K SUB Biz Plat for P2, and am trying to decide between a CIC/CIP 75K/100K SUB, Citi AAdvantage 75K SUB, and Surpass 155K SUB. Somehow both P2 and I are 1/24 so we have some room to run.

We really enjoyed our Belize trip in 2017, and mixed up the jungle & beach areas too, staying in San Ignacio at the beginning and Ambergris Caye at the end. We did a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala, and the ATM cave in Belize which were both really cool. We're not scuba divers, but we snorkel, and the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef System is supposed to be great for diving/snorkeling. We'll hopefully be snorkeling in Roatan next week (on a cruise) and I just bought a new snorkel set with Rx lenses so I can see.
I have used the cap1 portal to book one way car rentals from MCO to the car care center no issue. Maybe only certain locations are an issue for one ways? It gives the option in the search to drop off at a different location. That’s how we’ve used all but about $80 that’s left of my husbands current credit. May do a cheap flight with JetBlue and cancel in the JetBlue app to use the rest and get the travel bank credit.

I have used the cap1 portal to book one way car rentals from MCO to the car care center no issue. Maybe only certain locations are an issue for one ways? It gives the option in the search to drop off at a different location.
Thank you for letting me know about this. I just logged into the Cap1 travel portal and it does allow the option to drop off at another location, so I think this was a change since the last time I looked. Good to know!

I have a Hyatt FNC that will expire in mid-June. Thinking of taking a weekend mother's day trip to use it before it expires, was thinking San Diego, but that won't work since there aren't any hotels available to use the FNC. I feel like we are always trying to plan extra trips to use FNC so they don't go to waste.

Any suggestions?

I wish I could change the date I received the Hyatt FNC, we always travel at the end of June so the FNC from the previous year expires right before our big summer trip and the FNC for the next year arrives too late to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter