• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much! v6.0 - 2023 (see first page for add'l details)

Speaking of Paris and DLP, can someone tell me what is special enough there to get me to give up a day in Paris to take the train there? I've been, it was fun, but the opportunity cost of a day in Paris is really high IMHO. I'm not trying to say it's not worth visiting. I'm trying to plan my 3 days in Paris and I'm just not sure if I want to give one up for Disney. Last summer we had a week there and didn't find the time. Basically I'm trying to justify it I guess. I still need to plan out a couple of my days. :rotfl:

If there's no interest in going back and you've got plenty of other things you want to do in Paris I wouldn't worry about why others spend the time there. You know your feelings on it.

If/when I go to Japan again I will probably do a day at Disneyland but I have no desire to go to Disneysea again and I know most people love it. There's lots of other things I would rather do.

Sometimes it's best to trust our own feelings with travel than worrying about why so many people are doing x.

During Q1, I was using my Disney Visa on restaurants, gas and groceries because I had the increased 5% offer. We are a family of six and most of our spend is in these categories. During February, I seemed to rack up the points really quickly. But not in March. When I look at the transactions, I can only tell that I got 1% back. It is tricky to tell on the site so I opened the statements, which give a little more detail. On my last statement, there isn't even a line to show extra % from gas (despite many gas transactions) and the extra restaurant and grocery bonus is very low.

I'm generally terrible at checking for these bonus type things (usually I am working toward and MSR, so I don't have to worry too much about it). How do I question these? Phone call? SM? Is it worth the time and effort? I feel like it is a bit of a mess but it is also quite a bit of rewards that I am missing.

During Q1, I was using my Disney Visa on restaurants, gas and groceries because I had the increased 5% offer. We are a family of six and most of our spend is in these categories. During February, I seemed to rack up the points really quickly. But not in March. When I look at the transactions, I can only tell that I got 1% back. It is tricky to tell on the site so I opened the statements, which give a little more detail. On my last statement, there isn't even a line to show extra % from gas (despite many gas transactions) and the extra restaurant and grocery bonus is very low.

I'm generally terrible at checking for these bonus type things (usually I am working toward and MSR, so I don't have to worry too much about it). How do I question these? Phone call? SM? Is it worth the time and effort? I feel like it is a bit of a mess but it is also quite a bit of rewards that I am missing.
Maybe you hit the limit? Usually it's 5x for $1500 or $1000 spend, then back to normal

Speaking of Paris and DLP, can someone tell me what is special enough there to get me to give up a day in Paris to take the train there? I've been, it was fun, but the opportunity cost of a day in Paris is really high IMHO. I'm not trying to say it's not worth visiting. I'm trying to plan my 3 days in Paris and I'm just not sure if I want to give one up for Disney. Last summer we had a week there and didn't find the time. Basically I'm trying to justify it I guess. I still need to plan out a couple of my days. :rotfl:
We will be at DLP next week for one whirlwind day. We are meeting my son (Yay!!) as he wraps up his semester and we are spending a week in Paris. We've been to Paris several times and have never had time to spare to go to Disney but this week will be much more relaxing, more cafes, smaller museums, not running around to the main tourist sites. We've never been to any Disney parks besides WDW so I felt the opportunity was perfect. We are staying at an AirBNB and I didn't want to double pay one night hence the one day only. I don't really like how its not easy to customize hotel + ticket days.

You could do either, call or SM. But I'd check how much you spent within that period first. Chase has lowered the usual limit to $1,000 for most of these targeted bonus categories lately. Since most of your spend is in those categories, you probably maxed out before the end of the promotion. I recall the Disney offer having that lowered limit in Q1.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-spending-offers-up-to-10x-points-1-1-3-31/#comment-1770498

I have a similar offer for Q2 on my Disney visa….it is 5x up to a $1,000 spend on groceries….you probably hit the 5x spend limit

If I only had 3 days and had been before I wouldn’t go.
I think a lot of us are going for the first time and enjoying more time in Paris than just 3 days.

If I only had 3 days and had been before I wouldn’t go.
I think a lot of us are going for the first time and enjoying more time in Paris than just 3 days.
It's more that I have FOMO either way. I just can't decide.
We're going to both Paris and DLP for the first time. Doing 12th-14th at DLP and then 14th-21st in Paris proper. We're equally excited for both (and we are taking our newly turned 18 and newly graduated high school daughter). We may not do DLP Paris ever again, but we've got to give it a once over while in France!!

Dd and I went to DLP for a day from Paris in 2012. While we enjoyed our time in the parks, there were a few things that I recall that I didn't enjoy: people smoking everywhere (including in the lines for the rides) -- I do hope that they have cracked down on this because when we were the cast members refused to say anything to the people smoking, and a few rides breaking down while we were in line (Haunted Mansion was the worst). I will probably go back again, but I'd rather go the the designer outlet mall (1 RER stop before DLP) and taking the train almost an hour outside of Paris 2 days on a 5 day stay is too much for me. If you like designer clothing, handbags, shoes, accessories, etc. you'd probably enjoy the outlets more because there are some insanely good prices to be had!

I have an IHG question, I have Platinum status due to holding the CC and I usually book with that card (cash or points). However, I'm looking to use my CSP $50 credit this summer and book a room through the Chase portal. Does anyone have any experience in receiving the Plat benefits when booking this way? Basically I'm hoping for an upgraded room.

I have an IHG question, I have Platinum status due to holding the CC and I usually book with that card (cash or points). However, I'm looking to use my CSP $50 credit this summer and book a room through the Chase portal. Does anyone have any experience in receiving the Plat benefits when booking this way? Basically I'm hoping for an upgraded room.
Generally speaking, I think you forego any elite benefits when booking a room through an OTA like the Chase portal (Expedia, etc.). I think there are exceptions when you go through certain travel agencies like Amex FHR, Virtuoso (maybe? I've never used them so can't say from experience), and the like. I think all you can do is ask when you check in to apply your loyalty number to the room (they may say no due to it being a OTA reservation) and ask if there are any upgrades available. I look forward to seeing if anyone else has had experience with this situation.

Maybe you hit the limit? Usually it's 5x for $1500 or $1000 spend, then back to normal

You could do either, call or SM. But I'd check how much you spent within that period first. Chase has lowered the usual limit to $1,000 for most of these targeted bonus categories lately. Since most of your spend is in those categories, you probably maxed out before the end of the promotion. I recall the Disney offer having that lowered limit in Q1.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-spending-offers-up-to-10x-points-1-1-3-31/#comment-1770498

I have a similar offer for Q2 on my Disney visa….it is 5x up to a $1,000 spend on groceries….you probably hit the 5x spend limit
Ugh. I bet you all are right. Didn't even think about the limits! Mystery solved. Thanks!

Got targeted Hyatt promos by e-mail. Saw 2x elite nights up to 10 total and was excited until I realized it was to my e-mail. DH is the one working towards milestones/status. He only got 1000 bonus points per night up to 10k.

We have summer travel that will max both out. For the Andaz Seoul, I made the second room Guest of Honor to me since I read they might count my DS as an adult and not cover his breakfast.

Got targeted Hyatt promos by e-mail. Saw 2x elite nights up to 10 total and was excited until I realized it was to my e-mail. DH is the one working towards milestones/status. He only got 1000 bonus points per night up to 10k.

We have summer travel that will max both out. For the Andaz Seoul, I made the second room Guest of Honor to me since I read they might count my DS as an adult and not cover his breakfast.
Nice - though nicer if your DH had gotten the 2x elite nights for sure! DH got a different targeted email for a 20% point rebate, up to 30K max, for stays completed within 90 days of promo registration. I didn't read the fine print before registering, and I should have held off until the registration deadline of June 6 🤦‍♀️ but we don't have any plans for the summer, except Scotland in August, so I guess it doesn't matter that I jumped the gun on this registration. I didn't get a targeted email for myself.

Would love to hear about the Andaz Seoul after your trip!

Last edited:

Ah, if only we had that offer! Wouldn't need to do any mattress runs later this year (will probably end up doing 5 nights). Neither of us got any targeted offers. Oh, well.

I am looking at booking a SW flight for my DD using my UR points. I have never done this but it looks like I can transfer them to my RR account (1:1) but not to DD's account as she is not an authorized user on my CSR. I guess that's fine as long as I can use my RR points to book her flight. Can anyone please confirm this?

Also, it says that it can take up to 7 days to transfer points but that won't work because I need to book the flight today. Does it normally transfer immediately? I imagine SW needs CYA language just in case...

Also, I guess I have to make sure to transfer "more than enough" points (in $1000 increments) to cover the complete ticket price? I see they are planning to implement "Cash + Points" but I don't think that started yet. I wish it had because that would be more convenient.

I am looking at booking a SW flight for my DD using my UR points. I have never done this but it looks like I can transfer them to my RR account (1:1) but not to DD's account as she is not an authorized user on my CSR. I guess that's fine as long as I can use my RR points to book her flight. Can anyone please confirm this?

Also, it says that it can take up to 7 days to transfer points but that won't work because I need to book the flight today. Does it normally transfer immediately? I imagine SW needs CYA language just in case...

Also, I guess I have to make sure to transfer "more than enough" points (in $1000 increments) to cover the complete ticket price? I see they are planning to implement "Cash + Points" but I don't think that started yet. I wish it had because that would be more convenient.
I recently booked flights for our family using URs. I transferred the points to my account, then booked all 4 tickets. I had to transfer a little extra, since you can only transfer in multiples of 1,000.

For some reason, I had to log off my RR account and log back in for the points balance to update, but the transfer was otherwise immediate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter