• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW, every other card gave me the direct link option today. Just not the 2 Southwest cards.
Same here - I can pull a direct link on Freedom, Frdm Unlimited, Disney, Marriott...

I'd still post your 40k links on Southwest, there are some people that will go for that offer because of the $1k spend. I'd just make sure anywhere you share it you're clear what offer it is so nobody gets upset thinking they were getting 50k.

As long as you were comfortable using a 5/24 slot on the Freedom then it's a good decision for you :)

Regarding the MiddleName LastName thing - this really depends on your comfort level. Tons of people advise ordering a card using a nickname, or with a dog's name. I like to go middle last because that could be a nickname I'm called and I did once ask Chase a long time ago if I went by my middle name and wanted to change my card to that rather than my legal name how to do that and they said just order an authorized user card. Soooo right or wrong I stick with that one ;)

For card opening dates I use the free Experian tracking service (not the pay one) and it updates once a month which works for me just to verify accounts and inquiries.

Southwest has this neat interactive route map: https://www.southwest.com/flight/routemap_dyn.html
From Detroit they fly nonstop to: Las Vegas, Phoenix, Denver, Dallas, St. Louis, Chicago, Nashville, Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Baltimore.
I know nothing about other airlines lol sooooo not your guy on that question otherwise.

EDIT: You could try to call and recon your Freedom card. First it'd be nice to know if you're approved or what your status is though...Did you try calling the automated status line to see what message they give you? It's been awhile but I think you call 1-800-432-3117 and follow the prompts (I think you'll hit #, 3, 1 to get to app status). Tell us what that message says and that can give you an indication on whether you're approve or not.

"We received your application on Jan 2nd 2018, you will be notified in writing of our decisions in approximately two weeks..."

EDIT: Found that Chase guide.

https://imgur.com/a/oXlPW

I think that's my apple wallet problem...old phone! I have iphone 5s,and no intention of upgrading as long it still works..... so I guess I'm limited to newer devices and online apple pay options if I want to max that category..... I'm not going to sweat it. OT from that subject..... I've been reading my own post questions here to clarify my thoughts.... I think I'm going to 'mess with' my own accts and keep Dh's 'clean for the next year anyway if I applied for JB Barcs,and the Barcs Arrival, do they allow two apps together? (I have great credit) I'm tossing these two around still,and I want both, but the Jb one is going away very soon so I have to make a decision. From what I've read the points don't expire,so I could find a use for them I'm sure. OH!! I forgot to ask.... In the past :rolleyes1 DH and I always got the AU/spouse card. Now I'm rethinking that (we always did it to meet the spend organically) think it would work to get on in teen sons name as AU,and DH can use it too if needed?(different first names tho)

I'm not a Barclay expert but I seem to recall that they are a little picky about people having multiple Barclay cards. I currently have two Barclay cards - got the Arrival Plus first, then a few months later wanted to apply for the AA Aviator, and I recall being worried that Barclay was going to deny for too many applications. I did get both, so maybe I was worried for nothing. And perhaps submitting two on the same day is a way around that. Hopefully some Barclay experts will weigh in.

I also leave DH out of my credit card hobby (he has a job that requires a security clearance, including a credit check, and is opposed to a bunch of credit cards appearing on his report). I think it's an excellent idea to add your son as an AU. I use my kids' AmEx AU cards online -- how is anyone to know that my 19 yo son is not really the one ordering cat litter from PetSmart?

@Albort What San Diego hotel were you looking at a few pages back? I need to book one night there in April and can't decide... :)

i did San Diego Marina Sheraton. Mostly because of lounge access... my brg went through successfully, so it was a $104 room, now its $87 + 2000 points(or 20%)
i did Westin San Diego(not the gaslamp one) as well, great location if you plan to take the train...

Do you mean it's only giving you the option for Email or Twitter? The Facebook option is the one that disappeared for most people (and was the one where you could generate a 50k link.

EDIT: And yes the 50k links that people generated a day or 2 ago are all still currently working. Hopefully they continue to work, the problem is people that didn't do it a day or 2 ago now can't get a 50k link generated so they're out of luck as most people would prefer the 50k/$2k link vs the 40k/$1k link.

I realize no one is allowed to solicit referrals here. But how about some general information on how to find a 50,000 referral link? My sister is looking for one. Are they things anyone can find? I've never been on reddit before and am not having success with searching. NEVER MIND - finally found some! Love this thread!

Last edited:
I realize no one is allowed to solicit referrals here. But how about some general information on how to find a 50,000 referral link? My sister is looking for one. Are they things anyone can find? I've never been on reddit before and am not having success with searching.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7njtuh/chase_southwest_plus_50k_public_offer/

there is a public link if you absolutely want to apply through that, but it seems like facebook is the only way to do it(it should be the first post on the link) but judging by the way the comments are going here, it sounds like its not working this way... i would keep reading the top comments on churning and wait for ppl to come up with ideas.

I realize no one is allowed to solicit referrals here. But how about some general information on how to find a 50,000 referral link? My sister is looking for one. Are they things anyone can find? I've never been on reddit before and am not having success with searching. NEVER MIND - finally found some! Love this thread!

Go back a few pages in the thread because this was addressed yesterday or the day before. Either by lain or southfayetteville.

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/7njtuh/chase_southwest_plus_50k_public_offer/

there is a public link if you absolutely want to apply through that, but it seems like facebook is the only way to do it(it should be the first post on the link) but judging by the way the comments are going here, it sounds like its not working this way... i would keep reading the top comments on churning and wait for ppl to come up with ideas.
The referral links that have been posted are working just fine. I think there's a bunch of people that updated their links on the DISchurners reddit page to the 50k link.

The problem is just that people that didn't generate their links yesterday can't do it now for 50k, that's all.

To add one thought - if you are opening more cards than the average person then you're likely a "churner" for purposes of the DISchurners group. We're basically just a bunch of folks who enjoy signing up for new CCs. I'd say anybody who opens more than 3 cards a year consistently should embrace their identity as a churner, lol. From your comment I think you opened 6 cards in 8 months...you're definitely a churner ;) deny it all you want haha!

Well if opening cards to get sign up bonuses now qualify for churner status. Let me step up
and proudly state I AM A CHURNER!

I charged my hotel stay from going home over the weekend to CSR to use up my new travel credit. Now the charge has disappeared... I want it to post so the travel credit does and I can try to downgrade to CF haha.

i did San Diego Marina Sheraton. Mostly because of lounge access... my brg went through successfully, so it was a $104 room, now its $87 + 2000 points(or 20%)
i did Westin San Diego(not the gaslamp one) as well, great location if you plan to take the train...
I didn't think about the lounge with a Biz card now.

We need one night in April where we'll probably fly in late-ish, share that room with the in-laws, and then the next day see the USS Midway before heading to Fallbrook for a wedding/the rehearsal dinner (unless people need to be there earlier for other things... the groom aka BIL is not giving us much info - hasn't even officially picked his groomsmen and we're almost 3 months out exactly from the wedding...).

Same here--YNAB is the only reason I feel comfortable doing this. I'm still using YNAB4. It's like part of the family now! I actually like to manually input transactions because it keeps me very aware of where our money is going, but I totally understand the allure of auto import. I've been thinking about switching to the new version because I know 4 won't work forever. Really worried about the mobile app breaking at some point. This might be a good time to make the switch since it's the beginning of the year, but I'm not excited to start paying a monthly fee. I was told back when they first launched nYNAB that they would honor the original lifetime price no matter when I decided to make the switch, but after all this time I'm not holding my breath that they'd still be willing.

I'm the same way. I'm really not interested in switching to nYNAB. There was so much negative press about it in the YNAB forums that I honestly think I might switch to some other budget software rather than use that.

I'm the same way. I'm really not interested in switching to nYNAB. There was so much negative press about it in the YNAB forums that I honestly think I might switch to some other budget software rather than use that.
There are some things I like about nYNAB, but I really dislike the direction the company is taking, and that they seem to have abandoned their original methodology, which is precisely what transformed our lives. I don't visit the forums much now, but I see they created a new one. So I think the writing's on the wall for YNAB4. :sad:

There are some things I like about nYNAB, but I really dislike the direction the company is taking, and that they seem to have abandoned their original methodology, which is precisely what transformed our lives. I don't visit the forums much now, but I see they created a new one. So I think the writing's on the wall for YNAB4. :sad:

Yup, I have also stopped visiting the forums. Once I logged in and saw that there was a new forum I decided I definitely didn't have the time and energy for that. I guess I'll use YNAB4 until it crashes or becomes obsolete and then look into switching.

So you're at a great starting spot - 2/24 as we'd call it. If you find some Chase cards that work well for you I'd focus on those first due to the big bad 5/24 rule.

Also you refer to "we" in your comment. Keep in mind that there is no "we" in this game - but there is a me and a you. MEANING - if you have a Spouse you can both get cards and double the earnings. General advice is DO NOT do Authorized User (AU) cards for the other spouse as those make it on to the credit report and can cause issues getting more new cards. If you need a second card continue ordering an AU card under your MiddleName LastName or using a nickname to avoid the credit report issue.

Keep reading and asking questions, I am absolutely not kidding when I say with a year before your trip and starting where you're at...you should be able to get hotel and flights absolutely free for your trip for your whole family (I'm assuming a family of 4ish - now if you have like 10 kids that's a diff story, LOL!)

I did make the mistake of adding my wife as an AU on both of those cards mentioned, but again, that was before I knew better. We have been talking about this together and are on board with it so far. We do currently pay what we can with our Discover, and pay off at each month, so I don't think the spend minimums will be too big of an issue. Unfortunately, some of our big payments (day care, mortgage, car payment) do not accept CC's, only ACH transfers.

What you mentioned in bold is exactly what we are wanting/hoping to do, just trying to map out the necessary path to do so. Right now it seems as though it would be a combination of Chase SW cards (Premier AND Plus?) followed by either the CSP or CSR (the AF for the CSR kind of scares me!). Both my wife and I doing this over a staggered schedule and then combine the points on the CSP/CSR(s)?

Any guidance on how to navigate through this?

Unfortunately, some of our big payments (day care, mortgage, car payment) do not accept CC's, only ACH transfers.

One thought about this is Plastiq. I used it once this summer and will use it again soon to pay my student loan. The only issue is the fee. Some people get enough back in points to cover the fee, but my student loan provider doesn't code "properly" for getting more than 1x points. But to meet minimum spend, the fee can be worth it.

So bummed about the MASSIVE devaluation of IHG points. Had planned to use my signup bonus at the HIE Springdale which is next to Zion NP. It's now going to be 40,000 IHG points a night when rates are showing $97 for a night in February. The cpp is terrible.

I went ahead and used 60,000 points to book the Intercontinental Times Square for NY Comic con weekend (october). It's going up to 70,000 IHG points soon so figured to get in while the getting is good.

One thought about this is Plastiq. I used it once this summer and will use it again soon to pay my student loan. The only issue is the fee. Some people get enough back in points to cover the fee, but my student loan provider doesn't code "properly" for getting more than 1x points. But to meet minimum spend, the fee can be worth it.

This would be an option. Our Student Loan debt will be paid off this summer, which is one reason the Jan 19 trip to Disney is being planned. To celebrate that anchor being gone!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter