I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have experience with Hyatt points bookings? Do they typically block holiday weekends? Looking for Memorial Day 2019 and it says not accepting awards during these dates.

Available for booking already? I wasn’t planning to look until a year out!

Ok...I'm here some straight up advice and help...... I figure a lot of you know more about this than I do! I have been figuring out my 5 nights on Maui..... I originally booked Sheraton Kaanapali, since it looks awesome,and is right on that perfect snorkeling beach. NOW....I'm reconsidering canceling that and using my SPg points for a Marriott nights and flights package...it's just too tempting,since I'd get my 5 nights on Maui using that certificate, PLUS the 120k SWA points which I can really use! So here's my big dilemma- I could choose the Marriott Wailea Beach resort, or Marriott Maui ocean club instead. Any advice? on TA,and Oyster, they all rate well (4 pearls) They all look lovely, tho I think ocean club would be #3 for my choices (we don't have little kids) what do you all think? ANY advice here is so needed! I was proud of myself for deciding on a hotel,and now my biggest problem is back....making a decision!
....ALSO...... Nights and Flights. I've been reading about how to do this, but again...how would I know if I can use the cert. at the hotel I want,when I want? check for availability on marriott site?if I do that, would I check using points,or cash? Do they allow bookings with the cert. in general,or are there blackout dates? (arrggg)
...ALSO... what is my smartest option for getting the extra 45k marriott points I need to finish the booking?(and can I book if I buy a 1-5 cat. cert,and they'll let me book a cat. 8 until I get the extra points?)
Should I A) Use some UR points> Marriott to top it off? (45k)
B) Buy the spg points and transfer them? ( 15k for 341.25 use spg for 2x points)
C) Buy spg points (341.25 for 15k,use UR statement credit to pay myself back)
Again,Id have to purchase thru Dh's Spg acct,gift them to mine,and transfer to MArriott.
How feasible is this? How long does it take from purchasing the package to getting the hotel cert. for use? (swa points not in a rush for,not using them yet)
Please help me think this through...... I feel like waiting till AUg 1 and hoping I could use cert on sheraton might not work out

I am interested to see the replies about the packages because I have a lot of the same questions.

About the 45k points, I think I’d be inclined to buy from SPG. I would look at it as a small investment and big return. But then again, I tend to have a hard time spending my URs so I try to avoid it. Ha!

This is just terrible. It was literally the only reason I chose to pay AF's for top tier cards because I knew the balance from my lowly CF would augment that stash. I get that it's probably the last way to stop bonus chasing like the Sapphire double dips, but without pooling there's really no reason to keep and use multiple Chase cards. Buy reducing their costs to the UR program in this way, they will also reduce the revenue brought in. I don't know that it'd be an even swap, maybe they will reduce costs enough that they may come out slightly ahead, but I still think they would shoot themselves in the foot if they do it. While profitability is key, many places still look at revenue numbers to judge a company. So even if your profitability stayed the same, or jumped slightly, but your revenue fell off drastically, there'd be worry.
Hopefully they do something less drastic like no more household pooling. It would suck but I could live with it, because I don't know any other world ATM anyway since hubby has no UR cards at all and you can't pool MR. :D But I would think that would better accomplish their goal of reducing costs while maintaining revenue. Just look at how many on the thread here already have or had multiple CSR in the same household, even though it's small, it's still more that I expected :)

Let's talk about this whole "Chase Ultimate Rewards" rumor and assume it comes true as reported for a minute:

1. The report says they aren't eliminating travel partners so for those transferring to Hyatt, United, Southwest, etc...this is a much more minimal effect. It means you can't transfer your points from CF/CFU/CIC to those partners. You'd still be able to do it with CIP, CSP, CSR. That would somewhat lessen the blow
  2. The sign-up bonuses are still pretty good even if cashed out. Let's take CIP for example - I earn 85,000 points. Now I can either redeem that for $1062.50 in travel (@ 1.25) vs. what used to be $1,275 with a CSR. So I lost $212.50 in value BUT I still earned $1062.50 on $5k in purchases at a return of 21%! Still a great bonus.
  3. So let's say you just cash out that CIP bonus...Now I have $850 in cash...yes a $425 loss. But if I use that cash to spend money towards another signup bonus, I can make up 20% of the difference. Or let's say I'm going to Disney and can acquire Disney Gift Cards at a 12% discount (that's what I get through Giant Eagle) now I make up some of that difference too. Is it a loss...yes, but I can still probably squeeze $1,000 in cash value out of cashing those points out at a 20% return.
  4. The same general math holds true for CSP...$885 (@1.5) with a CSR vs. $738 (@1.25) alone as a CSP so a $147 loss. Still an 18%+ return on the signup. Cashing out and buying gift cards or meeting another signup can still get you upwards of $700.
  5. CSR loses a little luster as it no longer makes your other points worth more...but it's signup holds true as it does today.
  6. CF and CFU as an everyday card maybe aren't as exciting now but their signup math still shows a good return even if just in cash $150 vs. $225 if partnered with a CSR.

My basic attitude here is if it happens you roll with it. The points are worth a little less - I can still generate > 20% back on my purchases by chasing these sign up bonuses. Remain positive guys, the game throws you curve-balls like this. Anytime something negative comes out it's frustrating but remember, the game lived on through the implementation of 5/24 on Chase cards, the expansion of 5/24 to co-brands, AMEX once in a lifetime, BofA cracking down, Citi's restrictive language, numerous devaluations of every currency you can imagine, etc. etc. etc. The Game will live on past this too (and "this" hasn't even happened yet and may NEVER happen)!! :)

But how many of the AF cards become keeper cards after the sign up bonus? I'm not sure they'd keep offering large sign up bonuses if their retention rates drop off. I was ok with the AF for this year because worse case scenario I basically paid $150 to get $500. That's how I sold spending the crazy AF to hubby (i wear him down with logic eventually) and I'm sure other normal folk think of it the same way. But after that I'd think they'd lose their 90% retention rate on that card and if they know they won't be keeping people there's not much incentive to just keep handing out $350 for an application. Likewise their lower AF cards, not sure how many multiple AF cards one would want to hold past the first year if you can only use what's earned on that card. And I wouldn't think that spend would just move to the Chase cards they did keep, most likely that spend goes elsewhere. Then we're back to, why am I handing out $400 for an application?
Or I just had a depressing thought, they keep the large sign up bonus but also increase the required spend for it. :scared:

I have no idea what this card is or what it's about, but I just saw this ad on my Spotify and found the layout of the card very interesting!! Wonder if we'll start seeing more cards like this with chips now being used.
View attachment 319317

I really hope so! I did see that on another card but I can't think of which one. It makes so much more sense with the chip process. As evidenced by my grocery store that keeps insisting on viewing the card DURING the transaction before they approve it :sad2: (Although it wouldn't help with the signature matching, which several cashiers still insist on, like that does any good...)

I had downloaded the PP lounge app and was trying to follow the signs to the correct location. We walked as far as a large food court. Off that food court where several halls, one of which appeared to skirt by security. That is where DH decided we were finished walking. It didn't appear to me to require leaving the secured area but he was not in the mood...plus I don't think he really understood what the lounge meant, because he is usually all over free stuff. So we hung out in a very crowded SW gate area too after we ate in the food court. The annoying thing about LAS is they put all these bright, noisy slot machines everywhere that attract toddlers. Then parents spend the whole time trying to keep toddlers away from bright noisy machines. :headache:
So true! I remember getting reprimanded several times for my 1 1/2 year old being too close to the slots. He, of course, just wanted to run around.

What is up with that? Last time we were at the PP lounge, we thought we were able to catch the monorail back to the main hub and transfer monorails to the terminal our flight was on. When we were done eating, we headed back to the hub and the TSA agent ushered us back outside of security and through TSA again. It looks like they have makeshift walls they fold out during certain times. It would have been great if they had let us known before hand. We barely made our flight.

And this is why we skipped the MCO lounge last week. I was too worried we'd miss our flight since MCO TSA can be great or can be an absolute disaster. It's funny cause when you google this online, half the people say they did not have to go back through TSA and half say they did. Clearly they move those partitions to different places at different times. We were not willing to risk it. I'd love to try the lounge but making the flight is a bigger priority. I really wish they would fix that issue so all could use the PP lounge.

It has something to do with certain international flights coming in that are not screened to TSA's liking. They put up those walls to keep the 'clean' from 'dirty' people while the reroute them through security.

I spent much time looking into this because I really wanted to try the lounge at MCO but my husband would hate me forever if we had to go through security a second time. Basically anything that requires any extra contact with agents at MCO is a no go. LOL. But really, they are awful there. I literally heard one agent yell at a guy "Hey numnuts!" because he wasn't paying attention and let a gap go in front of him in the line. MCO makes precheck worth every penny.

Available for booking already? I wasn’t planning to look until a year out!
Yes, just today. The site is odd though. I’ve been tracking dates on & off past few weeks. Seems awards not available first few days after the date is open to booking. I’ve even seen some club level awards open up. But sometimes it seems no awards at all. :confused3 Hyatt opens at 394 days, Marriott/SPG at 352 days (back up plan)

Anyone have experience with Hyatt points bookings? Do they typically block holiday weekends? Looking for Memorial Day 2019 and it says not accepting awards during these dates.

I called a couple weeks ago about a similar issue. The rep wasn't super helpful but said, oh yeah, rates show available as long as they are within a year booking. Soooo, that may be your first problem. For mine, we were within the window, and still are. We're looking at Hyatt Place in New Orleans for Mar 15-17th. Nothing from Jan 1st on is showing available. I'm worried because things are filling up super fast (St Pattys weekend) but surely they wouldn't being doing a reno or anything through Mardis Gras, right?

Ok...I'm here some straight up advice and help...... I figure a lot of you know more about this than I do! I have been figuring out my 5 nights on Maui..... I originally booked Sheraton Kaanapali, since it looks awesome,and is right on that perfect snorkeling beach. NOW....I'm reconsidering canceling that and using my SPg points for a Marriott nights and flights package...it's just too tempting,since I'd get my 5 nights on Maui using that certificate, PLUS the 120k SWA points which I can really use! So here's my big dilemma- I could choose the Marriott Wailea Beach resort, or Marriott Maui ocean club instead. Any advice? on TA,and Oyster, they all rate well (4 pearls) They all look lovely, tho I think ocean club would be #3 for my choices (we don't have little kids) what do you all think? ANY advice here is so needed! I was proud of myself for deciding on a hotel,and now my biggest problem is back....making a decision!
....ALSO...... Nights and Flights. I've been reading about how to do this, but again...how would I know if I can use the cert. at the hotel I want,when I want? check for availability on marriott site?if I do that, would I check using points,or cash? Do they allow bookings with the cert. in general,or are there blackout dates? (arrggg)
...ALSO... what is my smartest option for getting the extra 45k marriott points I need to finish the booking?(and can I book if I buy a 1-5 cat. cert,and they'll let me book a cat. 8 until I get the extra points?)
Should I A) Use some UR points> Marriott to top it off? (45k)
B) Buy the spg points and transfer them? ( 15k for 341.25 use spg for 2x points)
C) Buy spg points (341.25 for 15k,use UR statement credit to pay myself back)
Again,Id have to purchase thru Dh's Spg acct,gift them to mine,and transfer to MArriott.
How feasible is this? How long does it take from purchasing the package to getting the hotel cert. for use? (swa points not in a rush for,not using them yet)
Please help me think this through...... I feel like waiting till AUg 1 and hoping I could use cert on sheraton might not work out

You have every one of the same thoughts I do when planning this trip! I feel like the best bet is to get the nights and flights (1-5 if thats all you have points for right now), book before 8/31, then if this merger announces magical new things that benefit our Hawaii travels (HA!) we can cancel and rebook. I'm not 100% clear on the using of the cert. From what I read it looks like you can book it online (you just have to find a resort with 7n availability) then you call to have your certificate applied to it. I haven't gotten that far in my own planning so I could be wrong.

I will *just* have enough for the nights and flights 1-5 package and then when I get my MSR from the new Mariott card I will sign up for next it will give me enough to pay the difference to the Cat 8 hotel I want. I believe you can book the 8 now without the points in place. I personally wouldn't use my UR's for it--if anything I would top off with some purchased SPG points if anything. I don't have any info on timelines of transfers. I am going to start moving some points around in the next few days though.

Side point-I am having the hardest time picking a resort! We aren't dead set on an island. All I know is that Aulani has spoiled us with easy and beautiful beach access. It s so hard figuring out which resorts are on a usable beach! I REALLY want to try that Mauna Kea but the rooms don't allow for 4 people :headache:.

My husband was approved for CIP 2 days ago. This morning I realized I forgot to refer him. I am so mad at myself. Is it too late to do anything about it?

Feeling super pumped today! Final rankings had come out a few weeks back and I finished 2nd in the nation in our segment of commercial banking (which is cool in and of itself) but it comes with a reward valued at $5,000. Well I was told it would be in the form of Mastercard gift cards...So I was thinking we'd have to use these on expenses and it would potentially slow my roll with new cards (not that I'm gonna complain about $5k tho haha). Well they showed up in the mail and they are Mastercard DEBIT cards and I can go to my bank's ATMs and just take out the cash and deposit that in the bank! Wooohoooo!!! That means I get the money AND I can keep putting spend on CCs. Like I said...SUPER pumped! :thumbsup2

I reached back for this, and first, wow it was 4000 posts ago but when I looked at the date it was just less than a month in time!
Second, were you able to cash out like this as planned? I just got a Visa DEBIT from a focus group and on the back of the card it says it has a ATM fee but in the terms it says you can't use it at an ATM to withdrawal cash. :confused3
Sooo not sure what the ATM fee is for if I can't withdrawal cash, I didn't think you could do a deposit from a card. (I miss the days of an envelope of cash for these things :( ) Did yours say anything similar but it still worked?

But how many of the AF cards become keeper cards after the sign up bonus? I'm not sure they'd keep offering large sign up bonuses if their retention rates drop off. I was ok with the AF for this year because worse case scenario I basically paid $150 to get $500. That's how I sold spending the crazy AF to hubby (i wear him down with logic eventually) and I'm sure other normal folk think of it the same way. But after that I'd think they'd lose their 90% retention rate on that card and if they know they won't be keeping people there's not much incentive to just keep handing out $350 for an application. Likewise their lower AF cards, not sure how many multiple AF cards one would want to hold past the first year if you can only use what's earned on that card. And I wouldn't think that spend would just move to the Chase cards they did keep, most likely that spend goes elsewhere. Then we're back to, why am I handing out $400 for an application?
Or I just had a depressing thought, they keep the large sign up bonus but also increase the required spend for it. :scared:
I think this is where I also need to understand my approach can differ from others... I only get cards for the signup bonus. Everything gets sock drawered. Cards I want to keep open I put a $5 charge on every 6 months - some I never put a dollar on again. For those that were regularly running spend through CF, CFU, CIP etc. I get now that this is a much worse change.

I honestly don't see Chase changing their signup bonus model though. If anything, this change would negatively impact the number of sign-ups. And a lot of spend will likely get shifted to AMEX or elsewhere. Somebody internally will probably start looking at numbers and say we're losing spend and clients and then they'll have to run some sort of higher bonus to attract people back. The people in sales and marketing roles at these banks aren't always in the same camp as the accounting folks that understand how money is made, lol!

Two quick questions:
First is about Starwood points--we have three cards, all of which are coming up for AF. Can I cancel all three, or are Starpoints tied to a cc and we should keep one open?

Second--what is the strategy for cancelling a Southwest card just after the AF posts, then calling in to see about erasing the fee while keeping the anniversary miles?

I think this is where I also need to understand my approach can differ from others... I only get cards for the signup bonus. Everything gets sock drawered. Cards I want to keep open I put a $5 charge on every 6 months - some I never put a dollar on again. For those that were regularly running spend through CF, CFU, CIP etc. I get now that this is a much worse change.

I honestly don't see Chase changing their signup bonus model though. If anything, this change would negatively impact the number of sign-ups. And a lot of spend will likely get shifted to AMEX or elsewhere. Somebody internally will probably start looking at numbers and say we're losing spend and clients and then they'll have to run some sort of higher bonus to attract people back. The people in sales and marketing roles at these banks aren't always in the same camp as the accounting folks that understand how money is made, lol!

Yes, that's the flip side that I thought about too. So you might get some special high limited time offers when they realize that to boost the numbers. I agree, marketing does not think like accounting! Long live marketers :laughing:

I sure hope Starwood's customer service team is taking over the Marriott twitter account when this merger is done... Marriott just finally responded to my twitter DM a full TEN DAYS after they told me to DM them. They're only response was that they were sorry for the delay and would have the hotel leadership team contact me. The hotel has already given me 20,000 points, now I just want something done about the fact that your corporate customer service isn't responding to people for ten days!

I called a couple weeks ago about a similar issue. The rep wasn't super helpful but said, oh yeah, rates show available as long as they are within a year booking. Soooo, that may be your first problem. For mine, we were within the window, and still are. We're looking at Hyatt Place in New Orleans for Mar 15-17th. Nothing from Jan 1st on is showing available. I'm worried because things are filling up super fast (St Pattys weekend) but surely they wouldn't being doing a reno or anything through Mardis Gras, right?
I can see cash availability thru May 27, 2019 but no awards. Awards availability for previous weekend. Looking in Vancouver. Hopefully I just need to keep checking

(When I look at your dates in NOLA, I see awards for the weekend before and after available so they may have blocked St Pats day :()

Yes, that's the flip side that I thought about too. So you might get some special high limited time offers when they realize that to boost the numbers. I agree, marketing does not think like accounting! Long live marketers :laughing:
Good example of this: I have some friends that work at PNC who also follow the churning game a bit. They know about the whole CC funding to open new accounts thing and how people were abusing it and taxing their resources to open dummy accounts (and costing the bank money). The one guy is in a back office role that supports this function and reported it up the chain expecting to get credit for closing a loophole costing money. Instead the sales/marketing side whined and said this was a great tactic to bring in new accounts and they won...CC funding remains, lol!

I just chatted with a rep on the Amex website and she was less than helpful. By the end of the chat she figured out it's a known issue and they are working on it. Points should by awarded by July.
Chat reps are only there to help in a minimal way. if you have real questions, calling is the best. for example, chat reps cant expedite cards but calling the reps, u can get them expedited.

My husband was approved for CIP 2 days ago. This morning I realized I forgot to refer him. I am so mad at myself. Is it too late to do anything about it?
You can try and call to see if they would do anything. at best, u might get a courtesy adjustment but its def ymmv. Try your luck and let us know! Good luck!

Two quick questions:
First is about Starwood points--we have three cards, all of which are coming up for AF. Can I cancel all three, or are Starpoints tied to a cc and we should keep one open?

Second--what is the strategy for cancelling a Southwest card just after the AF posts, then calling in to see about erasing the fee while keeping the anniversary miles?
usually, what u want to do is to call them and ask for a retention bonus. for example, i reached out yesterday, got spend $1000 get 7k bonus point. sometimes they even give u 10k points straight out. If you had to keep one, keep the SPG Biz since its got an extra category on earning. Its up to u if you want to keep one or not. They do come with an anniversary night too!
im not familiar with SW, thats @SouthFayetteFan expertise at.

Just wanted to make a few notes on the Chase Rumor.
- one thing i find the rumor a bit much is by studyin Chase's pattern. One of the cards i would like to note is the Chase Ink Cash card. This card was originally earning a "Cash" back like value that could transfer to UR. After awhile, Chase decided to make it so u earn "UR" instead. The rumor is going the wrong direction.
- 2nd thing, i doubt Chase will pull any stupid stuff instantly. They will most def give us a warning. All the things that happen instantly seems to affected new customers. 1 Sapphire card rule and the 1 SW card rule were both instant. But chase removing price protection has a end date.
- pool somewhere else. We know that chase will allow us to product change any freedom card to a CSP card. Theres not stopping us from upgrading, then transfer, then just close account right? :]
- dont think too much, this is still a rumor, a rumor that was surveyed out to people... which im 99% sure people would say THIS IS A BAAAAD IDEA!

2nd note, Did we ever find out which Nashville @disneymagicgirl lives in? ;)

3rd note, churning mistake 101. I made a gc purchase with my bank account. When i went to see what went wrong, i managed to buy another gift card.
DONT FIGURE THINGS OUT without coffee... :| haha. $50 mistake.

Blog post on potential issue with Applying for CF and CFU: https://frequentmiler.boardingarea.com/2018/04/26/is-chase-now-restricting-freedom/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Frequent Miler (Instant)

I’m calling this potentially stupidity vs a datapoint. Apparently this blogger can’t wait 48 hours (or even 12 hours) after a pc to attempt to apply for a card. Meanwhile in the real world we will wait a week+ (some people a month) to keep things on the “up and up”

Nick’s now calling his mistake an “anomaly.”

Update: Based on reader comments below, my situation is an anomaly and there is not a new Freedom rule. Thanks for adding your recent data points!

Two quick questions:

You don’t need to keep a credit card to keep the points. You should ask for a retention offer though. With the new program you will get a free night up to 35k in points. Feel free to cancel though if you won’t use the free nights.

After the annual fee posts just say the fee is high and you are considering canceling. Sometimes they will waive the fee or give a statement credit.

- pool somewhere else. We know that chase will allow us to product change any freedom card to a CSP card. Theres not stopping us from upgrading, then transfer, then just close account right? :]

I was mulling over this too. Say you rack up a lot of UR on a CF or CFU (real possibility considering 5x quarters and the current 3x deal on the CFU), but they’re “stuck” on those cards because Chase gets rid of transfers between cards (or in some variations of the rumor, transfers between no fee cards and fee cards). Can’t you just PC the CF/CFU to a CSR temporarily, make your redemption (or possibly pool points across fee cards), then downgrade or cancel at some point for a prorated refund of the AF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter