I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, question about applying for a Chase card. Do you know which credit union Chase checks when they make credit inquiries?

I froze all of mine after the huge data hacks back in the day. I was able to unfreeze Equifax and Transunion, but I can't find or remember the pin for Experian so I'm going to have to snail mail them my personal information to prove it's me to get them to unfreeze theirs. If it's the first two, I'm good. If it's Experian, I'm a have to wait. :(

Check: Which Credit Bureau Does Chase Pull? - DoC

I spent a bunch at Walgreens last week too thanks to that Tesla guy. Cough drops and Mucinex galore. I'm another one that's no where even close to Q3 max. I've made a couple trips to Walgreens and a couple gas purchases, but it's been hard to justify buying anything there when I was still working on the 10% back at BBY and 10% back on Exxon, which is still good through November. With an Exxon right next to my work and my house, it's been easier and more cost saving to use that.
We only have one Exxon and it's not the most convenient. And then if I get beyond Kroger, DHs new favorite gas station isn't a chain at all so no gift cards there. I don't understand it, I'm like does the gas make my car run? Then we're good :rotfl:

I guess my point was if P2 applies late in the day on 10/3, and the new cards are supposed to start rolling out on 10/4, whether she’ll just catch the new wave of metal cards (but then how will the system decide plain gold or rose gold?). Probably overthinking it and cutting it too close if I want P2 to apply because of the 50k offer, anyway.

I don’t doubt existing cardmembers can request the new metal cards by calling into Amex. When the Plat changed over to metal cards, I was on the phone with Amex a little past midnight asking for metal cards for my wife and me. P2 just doesn’t like calling. LOL. So I’m trying to spare her the phone call. In any case, my wife is an AU on my PRG (from when I first opened the card), so I can request a rose gold metal card for her AU account in the meantime while I figure out the card on her own account.

(I know how you feel about metal cards, but I think Amex’s Platinum cards and the upcoming Gold cards look slick.)
why the stress over the date?

I pay off cards every month but have occasionally used 0% offers when an emergency hits. Like my basement flooded. Although tbh, I just save any 0% offers on cards I currently have and if I need one, it’s there. But if I had a big unplanned expense come up, I might look for 0% card to allow me to pay it off over a few months, especially if I was waiting for insurance money to come through. It’s not a general churner habit though
0% offers can also be part of a churner's strategy if you want to float cash for bank bonuses. You need to walk a straight line, because it can quickly get out of hand. But if you need $15,000 to sit in a Chase savings account for 3 months in order to get a $300 bank bonus, it's one way to accomplish that.

DoC is harsh on this one. He calls the offer "garbage" and says "this offer sucks". Ummm...it's the standard offer now with a 0% Intro.

I'll also say that I'd much prefer to support a fellow DISer and use a support link vs. a 0% period. Using one of these Intro APR periods just hits my utilization and could hurt my credit score. Others may feel differently but I buy what I can afford and I pay it off, lol!

I did see these this morning. The 0% offer is meaningless in this case (although years ago I did some balance juggling among 0% cards until we could pay them off).

Of course the 65,000 would be nice but this targeting thing is starting to annoy me. Are there work-arounds for Chase (different browsers, etc.)?

If I'm considering staying at a couple of Hyatts next year, would it make sense to apply for the Chase Hyatt card so I can save my URs for other redemptions? Does anyone have the card and have an opinion on it?
My DH got the Hyatt card early this year. Depending on where you're going to stay, I think you get a great value for the number of points. For our spring break next year, we're staying at the Baha Mar completely on points. Resort fees are also waived on free nights. We achieved explorist status (paying estimated taxes) which will give us lounge access too...breakfast, evening food and drinks.

I'm actually interested in that 0% offer on CSP for my in-laws what with them having to pay for my FIL's treatment in December. They do not have the money for it all up front and were planning to take out a 401k loan. I wonder if she would be interested in taking out a card for it, as I think she could have it paid down over the 12 month 0% period (obviously I would double check she could do that before encouraging her to apply). She could cash out the 50k as a payment towards it and that would help her offset the costs too.

If I were to max out the CF, it’d be with GCs from Walgreens. But we’re already floating a lot of cash in GCs and we’ve actually been trying to spend that down.

Is the fee $5.95 for a Walgreens $500 card? If so . . .

$505.95 = 2,530 UR = $25.30 cash back or $37.95 at 1.5x for travel

Even without the Plastiq promo, you could use your $500 card to pay a bill worth $487.80.

In that scenario, your fees would be $18.15 ($12.20 Plastiq + $5.95 gift card fee).

You're coming out ahead, so you might as well go for it as long as you have enough Plastiq bills to pay (property taxes coming up?). You could use RMN for another $10 back at Walgreens.

If I'm considering staying at a couple of Hyatts next year, would it make sense to apply for the Chase Hyatt card so I can save my URs for other redemptions? Does anyone have the card and have an opinion on it?

I just got it 2 months ago. Last week I hit the first spend, but haven’t gotten the points yet. I liked that they spread the spend out over 6 months. We stayed at a bunch of Hyatt’s earlier this year transferring URs for them. We actually reached Discoverist ourselves this way so that perk was useless this year. We haven’t stayed at one since we got the card, trying to hit Platinum with Marriott so our stays have been there. But I think the 60,000 Hyatt points will be a good redemption when the time comes to use them. I do hate they are harder to find but we have liked all the ones we have stayed at.

Last edited:
Here is the wallet I need! I had no idea they made wallets just for churners :D

ETA: I can just imagine the looks of people as I open this up at the grocery store to get the right card :rotfl:

I thought I was doing good with this wallet - each side of both pockets has 4 card slots (so 16 total) and then a long pocket behind it. I should post an actual picture of mine because I always have extra cards thrown in next to the zipper pouch, coupons, receipts... DH always has a heart attack when I open it up. Now I want that one!

That parachute material wallet is intriguing. I think DH would like that, but I'd have to pry his 28 and Main wallet out of his cold, dead hands. Even though all of his jeans pockets have a circle from the badge on it.

I do hate they are harder to find but we have liked all the ones we have stayed at.

There's one within walking distance of my dd's campus--it's really nice (stayed twice) and only 8K points!

I've been looking at properties in Australia (2020 trip but I'm a planner ::yes::). I'll need 2-3 nights in Sydney and 2-3 nights in Perth. There are 2 properties in Sydney (20K and 30K, so no free night) and 1 in Perth (12K--free night eligible) in good locations for tourists. Dh will have the Hyatt card and I might, depending on my */24 situation.

Question regarding the SPG Luxe TC.... these are the terms (from DoC post)
  • $450 annual fee
  • $300 in statement credits each year of card membership for eligible purchases at SPG & Marriott properties----- So can I buy a SPG gift card for future use? and get the TC? what exactly is the fine print on eligible purchases? I have a local sheraton I could try if this works, I have more use for an SPG gc than Marriott(until they get it together)

For anyone who uses instacart, there is a promo for $35 off $35 BABYCENTERPARENTS2018. I have never used it before but will be getting a delivery from Wegman's tonight:)

ETA: There's also a $55 off $55 offer for new users. I can't post it because it's a referral but I think it should be easy to find.

The code I googled only gave me $10 off. $35 off $35 was expired for me.

So Monday I met my SPG Lux spend. I still haven't seen my 100,000 points post. It was all legitimate spending.

Oh--the $5,000 included my membership fee. I guess I need to keep spending!

Are there work-arounds for Chase (different browsers, etc.)?

No such thing as incognito or anything like that with Chase. You have to be truly targeted - email, mailer, or in-branch.

Question regarding the SPG Luxe TC.... these are the terms (from DoC post)
  • $450 annual fee
  • $300 in statement credits each year of card membership for eligible purchases at SPG & Marriott properties----- So can I buy a SPG gift card for future use? and get the TC? what exactly is the fine print on eligible purchases? I have a local sheraton I could try if this works, I have more use for an SPG gc than Marriott(until they get it together)

DPs indicate that a gift card purchased from the front desk of a Marriott hotel will trigger the $300 credit.

Well I got denied at Walmart with buying a MO with a giftcard. This is the second time this has happened the day after buying $2500 in giftcards. I think I’ll do one at a time from now on lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter