I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone churned the Barclay Arrival+?

It's been over 4 years since DH earned the bonus on the Arrival+ and I'm interested in getting it for him again, especially with the MC Plastiq promo. He's 5/24 right now, will be down to 4/24 once I remove him as an AU from my CSR. "He" (I jest, of course it was me) opened an Aviator card last year, closed it this year, and had the Arrival+ from 2014-2016. No other Barclay cards.

Any recent reports that anyone has heard of?
I’d get him off as an AU as I’ve seen people denied at 5/24 for too many accounts. As for having the card- I was denied for recently having the card. Got it 7/2017, closed 7/18, applied 8/18. BUT there was no hard pull done because the computer triggered “already have or recently had product“. Something changed Jun-Jul this year because someone on DoC closed and re-opened the card 2 weeks later just fine around June & it was notoriously churnable for as long as you didn’t get on Barclays bad list. TBH with no hard pull idk how much you have to lose by applying for “him” but if you’re close to being 2 years from the last bonus (or however Barclays phrases that) I’d hold off and apply then to be safe.

Seeking any and all free cert experts! I am planning ahead for next year. Will be taking a trip to the PNW. Flying in and out of Seattle; visiting Oylmpic NP and Mt Rainier NP. I want to spend the last day prior to flying out in Seattle and would like to use one of my free certs I will be getting next year.

Cert 1 - IHG. Should be getting the unlimited cert (first and last since they changed this benefit:headache:). While I don't have the cert yet (Anniversary in May), I was looking for for availability in July. I am assuming I need to find something with reward availability to use my cert. Right now all the super nice ones are showing no reward availability. There are some hotels with availability but if I have an unlimited cert, would really like to use at a 300+ night room instead of 120 night room :rolleyes:.
Questions - 1. am I right that there needs to be reward availability?
2. I am just looking too far out? Will they open more reward availability later?
3. If I don't get my cert until May, can I book on points before and then change to the free cert?

Cert 2 - SBG Biz. This now comes with a free night (up to 35K), right? This should be good on any Starriott brand?

Thanks, all.

Not an expert but will share a DP on the IHG free night. DH and I both have the IHG card with the anyhwhere free night and used it last month for our stay at the Willard. Fortunately, we will get one more anywhere free night on our card anniversary next year. When we went to DC last month I called in and requested 2 one night reservations for each free night cert. They were unable to do it because the hotel had blocked out one night reservations and were only allowing 2 night reservations for one of the dates. I was able to book the room for the blocked date with points for one night and use the cert for the other and the csr said they would speak with the sales department in the morning and see about getting them to release the date room for a one night reservation. I thought that it was odd that I could book it with points but not the free cert. Anyhow, I called the following day and was able to get both certs attached to a one night reservation and linked together. I don't know if the csr was full of bologna sandwiches, clueless or correct.

Has anyone churned the Barclay Arrival+?

It's been over 4 years since DH earned the bonus on the Arrival+ and I'm interested in getting it for him again, especially with the MC Plastiq promo. He's 5/24 right now, will be down to 4/24 once I remove him as an AU from my CSR. "He" (I jest, of course it was me) opened an Aviator card last year, closed it this year, and had the Arrival+ from 2014-2016. No other Barclay cards.

Any recent reports that anyone has heard of?

I churned once a few years ago and had my mom successfully churn it a few months ago. If you are under 6/24 you should be good to go.

I just found this thread and wow it is amazing!

This may have been addressed somewhere but from a quick look I could not find it.

My DH and I both had a Starwood Card we got in either 2013 or 2014. I remember that was a ‘once in a lifetime’ benefit.’ With the merger with Marriot would we be eligible for the card again for Starwood points?

Marriott elite night drama . . . I have sent 5 SM's to Chase about missing elite nights from early August spend. It was my understanding that spend up until August 26 would count since you'd be earning towards those elite nights until that time. Chase is telling me that since the elite nights POST in early September (after the Aug 26th discontinuation of this benefit), I am not eligible. Does this make sense to anyone? Seems that as long as you EARN those credits before August 26th, you should still get them. Posting date should not be relevant. I need to go search for the letter Chase/Marriott sent about the discontinuation of this benefit and see how its worded.

Has anyone received elite night credits from August spend (pre Aug 26)?

Did you ever find the letter?

I thought August 1 was the original cut off date, but I could be wrong.

This may have been addressed somewhere but from a quick look I could not find it.

My DH and I both had a Starwood Card we got in either 2013 or 2014. I remember that was a ‘once in a lifetime’ benefit.’ With the merger with Marriot would we be eligible for the card again for Starwood points?

Not for the card that you already had. But, that said there are now a total of 5 cards that offer 'Marriott' rewards points as there are no more Starwood points since it merged with Marriott.

There are plenty of exclusions here. But, if you have cancelled the cards more than 24 months ago, you are good to go on a bonus for the remaining 4 cards - kicker is you must decide which company to go with, Amex or Chase.

Amex currently has the best bonuses and the best reward night on the SPG Lux, which has a $450 fee for 5K spend. The benefits of this card pay for the fee. It has a $300 credit, a free 50K night, priority pass for some airport lounges and will pay $100 towards Global Entry. So if you are a fan of Starwood hotels this card can be a huge benefit.

There is also the Amex SPG Business card. If you have any kind of business this card is easy to get. I'm cleaning house and selling the stuff online. Amex approved this business card for me for 1K total revenue.

The two Chase cards have lower bonuses, but you could try for those. Whatever side you get, keeps you from applying for the other cards for 2 years. The good thing about the Amex side is they give offers on their cards, plus some spending incentives once you have the card. I'm currently working on an incentive for 10K points they sent me.

I probably didn't cover every aspect here so wait a few minutes and someone else will be along to add information for you.

I'm not sure about your IHG question re rewards availability = free night availability. I do see the Kimpton as available in July (16th). I think that would be a nice redemption as its a 60k hotel.

Also check out the Courtyard Downtown. The location looks good + you should be able to use the SPG Biz 35k cert. What is your anniv date on that card? My anniv date was 10/6 on my SPG personal and I don't have my cert yet . . .
on IHG to book a free anniversary night you have to look at your acct page,it will show if you have a free night to redeem. As far as I know that's the only way to get that,by clicking that link. you can't use that night without that link.

on IHG to book a free anniversary night you have to look at your acct page,it will show if you have a free night to redeem. As far as I know that's the only way to get that,by clicking that link. you can't use that night without that link.

When you have an IHG free night it 'used to' show up in the booking window as a rate option. I just looked and this option is gone, probably because of the new restricted free nights. Oh well, I still have 1 unrestricted night and I'm going to book it asap before prices change and my points nights require more points.

They are still the same cards so, no, it's unlikely you'd be eligible for the bonus again. However, you can get one of the other cards because the lifetime bonus is per card not card family. So if you had the regular SPG card, you can get the bonus on the SPG Business card or the new SPG Luxury card. Also AmEx has added a bonus checker when you apply, if you are ineligible for the bonus because you had the card before, it will give you a pop-up and ask if you want to continue without the bonus. If you don't any popups when you apply then you are good to get the bonus again. (There are reports that AmEx's "lifetime" can be short lived)

The question is, with the merger they created a bunch of rules between the similar Marriott and SPG cards, do you have or had recently any of the Marriott cards? Earning the bonus or holding certain cards prevents holding of other cards now. It's a little complicated until they finally finish the merge .

Has anyone gotten this to work on iPhone? I have Walmart app and Walmart pay set up but no option for Add Chase Pay as described above
I have been investigating this further as it won't show up for me either.
The comments in this article show the prob seems to be apple,
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-pay-can-now-be-used-in-walmart-pay/
even though most people easily meet the requirements shown here
Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 9.09.07 AM.png

How frustrating since this directly applies to q4.

I am going to go online Walmart.com and buy Walmart gc using chase pay via the website, assuming that still works, and use them in store.

@Judique and @miztressuz gave excellent advice!

Do you and DH still have the Starwood (SPG) cards? If not, when did you and DH close your cards?

The reason being the exclusions that @Judique and @miztressuz mentioned -- effective 8/26/18, the combined Marriott (which we sometimes refer to unofficially as "Starriott") placed a lot of restrictions on their credit card offerings from Chase and Amex. As @Judique mentioned, the general rule is you have to choose whether to get the cards from Chase (Marriott) or Amex (SPG), to the exclusion of the other issuer for about two years after. But first, let's see what cards you might be eligible for.

Yes! I book a lot through atom tickets. They do waive the fees and I get Stubs rewards. last year, maybe around black friday, Costco sold the $100 Atom tickets GC for $65. We bought 3 :D
Oooh I'll keep an eye out for that. I wondered and hoped it would earn reward points since it's like buying the car ugh fandango. Going to a movie today :)

I'm trying to figure out how to see the cashback on my discover acct.... why can't I find this? I want to see if a straight up reload of my acct at amazon got me the 5x reward....

I have been investigating this further as it won't show up for me either.
The comments in this article show the prob seems to be apple,
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-pay-can-now-be-used-in-walmart-pay/
even though most people easily meet the requirements shown here
View attachment 358352

How frustrating since this directly applies to q4.

I am going to go online Walmart.com and buy Walmart gc using chase pay via the website, assuming that still works, and use them in store.
It should work to purchase Walmart GCs online with Chase Pay. That’s what I did last year when they had this same offer.

Did you ever find the letter?

I thought August 1 was the original cut off date, but I could be wrong.

I found the letter online (figured that was faster than digging through my stack of papers). It states that you will continue to earn elite nights through the August statement cycle. My statement closed around the 12th, so anything before that should earn elite night credits. Folks at Chase don't have the correct info as they've given me incorrect answers 4 times now. The letter also says that you will receive the elite nights within 8 weeks of August 26, which is 1 week from today. I'll just wait a week before contacting them again. PITA.

@amalone1013 - I'm out of Kroger points for the moment. Where are you going for gas these days? Do you still have your spreadsheet? My current plan is Exxon with the SPG Business for 10% + 3% Dosh + whatever the Speedpass+ app gives me. Am I missing anything?

@amalone1013 - I'm out of Kroger points for the moment. Where are you going for gas these days? Do you still have your spreadsheet? My current plan is Exxon with the SPG Business for 10% + 3% Dosh + whatever the Speedpass+ app gives me. Am I missing anything?
You can use dosh for Exxon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter