I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your in a great position since your last card was in 2014...so your 0/24......And should look at applying for Chase cards first...spacing out the applications 2-3 months apart.

How much do you think you could put on the cards in the first 3 months ? ...The Chase CIP...a business card has the higsign up bonus 80,000URs after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Other cards have 50,000 bonuses after $3,000 and $4,000 MSR...

It’s great your parents are willing to open cards as well...you can earn a lot of points with 3 people opening cards...it’s a matter how much you can spend in 3 months
Yes, it's the 3 month spending requirement that I'm worried about for me. I can't pay my mortgage, student loan, or car payment with a credit card, and those are the majority of my expenses each month. Would it make sense to put my parents as AUs to help me meet the requirement?

Where does the time go??! I just had my husband check on his CSP account. He got the card on May 18, 2014. He can product change to the Freedom and then apply for a new CSP or CSR in 30 days? It's been 48 months correct? I'm paranoid about making a wrong move.

The Southwest card is going to be my number two card to MS on. After SO gets the companion pass for 2019/2020 I’m going to try to MS 110k on the card. Cashback portals keep giftcard costs super low. I calculated it would cost be about $250-300 depending on where I get MOs to MS $110,000. I think that cost is worth a companion pass and 110,000 Southwest points. I plan on keeping some CIPs and Freedoms for MS too. I plan to open cards as well but I fear im going to be running out of cards in 2020 lol.

We have cancelled the cards and never had the Marriott card. Would we qualify for the Marriott bonus? Would that work for Starwood properties? I am hoping to take the cruise from Honolulu in 2020 and there is a nice Starwood in Waikiki I want to stay at-trying to figure out if I can get some sort of credit card bonus to make it happen.

We’ll be staying at the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton Waikiki over Christmas and New Year, all on points! I also have a soft spot for the Moana Surfrider.

I hope you don’t mind the probing questions, but with all the new restrictions on these cards, we need the details to help best navigate around the rules.

1. To confirm, when you say Starwood card, do you mean the SPG personal card? (Not business card?)

2. When did you and your husband receive the signup bonuses on your SPG cards? (As in, roughly the month and year the signup bonus posted to your SPG account.)

3. When did you and your husband close your SPG cards? (Again, month and year?)

4. Are you under 5/24? (Chase has a so-called 5/24 Rule, which will deny you for certain cards, including the Marriott Premier Plus card, if your credit report shows you’ve opened 5 or more credit cards in the past 24 months).

5. How many Amex credit cards do you have, and what are they?

6. Have you applied for any Amex credit cards in the past 90 days?

7. It would really help us develop a strategy for you if you could list all the credit cards you’ve opened in the past 2 years. (Month and year opened, and closed if applicable.)

If you plan to get DH involved in opening credit cards as “Player 2” (“P2”) in this hobby, so you two can double up on the signup bonuses and refer the other for the referral bonuses, a list of his credit cards opened (and closed) in the past 2 years would be helpful too.

8. Are you open to applying for business credit cards? If you have any sort of side hustle — like selling on eBay, Etsy, Amazon, craft fairs and bake sales, etc.; baby or pet sitting; consulting; contract work; tutoring; teaching classes; driving for Uber or Lyft; etc. — you can qualify for business cards. And both Chase and Amex each have a business card that earns Marriott points.

Where does the time go??! I just had my husband check on his CSP account. He got the card on May 18, 2014. He can product change to the Freedom and then apply for a new CSP or CSR in 30 days? It's been 48 months correct? I'm paranoid about making a wrong move.

yes, that is the way to go for your DH.
just check in with us on what you plan to do and you will be fine.

Yes, it's the 3 month spending requirement that I'm worried about for me. I can't pay my mortgage, student loan, or car payment with a credit card, and those are the majority of my expenses each month. Would it make sense to put my parents as AUs to help me meet the requirement?

If you put them as AU on a personal card it takes up a 0/24 slot for them...if you open a business card like the chase ink Preferred..CIP....you can add them as employees ..... it doesn’t go against their 0/24 and helps you meet the spending requirements

Yes once it’s 48 months since he received the bonus he can apply for a CSR or CSP...not sure if you need to wait 30 days though...hopefully someone else here knows if you can apply sooner

You can use Plastiq, which is a third-party bill pay service, to pay student loans and car payments with a 2.5% fee for credit cards. Mortgages are generally no-go for Visa and Amex cards.

If you put them as AU on a personal card it takes up a 0/24 slot for them...if you open a business card like the chase ink Preferred..CIP....you can add them as employees ..... it doesn’t go against their 0/24 and helps you meet the spending requirements
I apologize if this is a newbie question, but can you apply for the business card if you don't have a corp/LLC?

Wow! No problem on the questions, SO thankful for the help! Answers are below questions in the quote. Thanks again so much for the help!

We’ll be staying at the Royal Hawaiian and Sheraton Waikiki over Christmas and New Year, all on points! I also have a soft spot for the Moana Surfrider.

I hope you don’t mind the probing questions, but with all the new restrictions on these cards, we need the details to help best navigate around the rules.

1. To confirm, when you say Starwood card, do you mean the SPG personal card? (Not business card?)

Yes, we both had SPG personal only.

2. When did you and your husband receive the signup bonuses on your SPG cards? (As in, roughly the month and year the signup bonus posted to your SPG account.)

Approximately opened card March 2013, September 2013. So most likely bonus posted around August 2013 and Jan 2014. I don’t have statements but can try to get those if needed. This is my best estimate from looking at credit report.

3. When did you and your husband close your SPG cards? (Again, month and year?)
Within one year so approximately March 2014, September 2014, can find exact if needed.

4. Are you under 5/24?

DH is at 5/24 but one is authorized user for my Ink business card. Does this count against him? I am going to pull my credit tonight to look at mine.

5. How many Amex credit cards do you have, and what are they?

None currently. SPG was last Amex.

6. Have you applied for any Amex credit cards in the past 90 days?

No

7. It would really help us develop a strategy for you if you could list all the credit cards you’ve opened in the past 2 years. (Month and year opened, and closed if applicable.)

I will pull my credit tonight and check and update.

If you plan to get DH involved in opening credit cards as “Player 2” (“P2”) in this hobby, so you two can double up on the signup bonuses and refer the other for the referral bonuses, a list of his credit cards opened (and closed) in the past 2 years would be helpful too.

8. Are you open to applying for business credit cards? If you have any sort of side hustle — like selling on eBay, Etsy, Amazon, craft fairs and bake sales, etc.; baby or pet sitting; consulting; contract work; tutoring; teaching classes; driving for Uber or Lyft; etc. — you can qualify for business cards. And both Chase and Amex each have a business card that earns Marriott points.

I shut down my main business this summer. I do contracting for another business and get a 1099, would this work for a business card?

Wow! No problem on the questions, SO thankful for the help! Answers are below questions in the quote. Thanks again so much for the help!

I shut down my main business this summer. I do contracting for another business and get a 1099, would this work for a business card?

Edited to add DH just got the Savor card with $500 bonus.

Absolutely! I’ll circle back with a fuller reply later today. I’m spending this beautiful day with my kiddo!

ETA: You can pull your report on Credit Karma for free, and it’ll give you an accurate count of your open and closed credit card accounts. Don’t worry about the SPG personal, since it’s been so long ago.

Last edited:
Here's my ss for premium gas in my area. Valuing stsrriott points at 0.9 cents each. Hope it makes sense, I have oop cost, value of rewards earned, and final cost is oop minus rewards.

View attachment 358364
I dont have the speed pass rewards calculated since I haven't looked into them much. Basically Kroger and murphy are within 5 mins of the house, maverick is out of the way but DH will do it because he feels their gas is better, Sam's is no way unless were shopping there, probably costco too except its 10mins away vs 30mins for Sam's, and exxon is not bad but not most convenient either, and I know DH will not do speed pass without me to run it. This is also the first time gas prices have put exxon ahead of the others for me, before at best it would tie or just be worse because their prices are usually the highest.

How does speed pass work? I see 3pts per dollar on gas, 5pts if paying with speedpass? What is 100pts worth?

Sorry your gas is so expensive! Premium at our Costco is 2.95 before any rewards. I use regular and that is 2.63.

I apologize if this is a newbie question, but can you apply for the business card if you don't have a corp/LLC?
Thank you guys for the friendly advice. I'm thinking I could probably pull off the CIP 80,000 bonus. However, I would want to save the rewards for future use. Is there a way to transfer those rewards somehow to retain the value for future use?

you can. Im also a 1099 employee, i claimed to chase and Amex of my small business and they were okay with giving me a few biz cards.

edit: i see lain beat me to it. but heres mine! ;)

Thank you guys for the friendly advice. I'm thinking I could probably pull off the CIP 80,000 bonus. However, I would want to save the rewards for future use. Is there a way to transfer those rewards somehow to retain the value for future use?

Often you get the CIP...are you interested in opening other cards to earn other UR bonus points....if so we can guide you to other Chase cards...the chase Sapphire Preferred CSP...is a personal card with a 50,000UR bonus after a $4,000 spend in the first 3 months....there are Chase Freedom cards with 15,000 bonus points after a $500 spend...different options depending on what you can spend in 3 months

You can then transfer URs to one card to keep them all in one place

Yes once it’s 48 months since he received the bonus he can apply for a CSR or CSP...not sure if you need to wait 30 days though...hopefully someone else here knows if you can apply sooner

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere he would need to wait 30 days from product change before applying for a new card? I have read so many blogs I can't keep up! :) I could easily have mixed that 30 day wait up with something else.

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere he would need to wait 30 days from product change before applying for a new card? I have read so many blogs I can't keep up! :) I could easily have mixed that 30 day wait up with something else.

recommended but not required. Usually its next month. In case something happens like chase still sees u having a Sapphire product, they will deny u, u would either need to make your case with chase or wait till next month.
if you wait, then its most likely u wont have any issue. its like a better safe than sorry idea.

I could be wrong...but think the 30 days to apply is if your canceling the card....thought I’d read with a product change you can apply a few days after cancelling the card...there is a lot of information out there to keep track of

..hopefully someone who has produced changed, then reapplied will answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter