I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh dernit, BoA pulled TU for my Alaska biz app. They pulled EX last year so I thought doing Barclays and BoA on the same day would look ok since Barclays typically pulls TU. They both pulled TU so potentially BoA sees the Barclays' inquiry. Well fingers crossed, if people with crazier reports than mine can get them I may have hope. :)

Gosh dernit, BoA pulled TU for my Alaska biz app. They pulled EX last year so I thought doing Barclays and BoA on the same day would look ok since Barclays typically pulls TU. They both pulled TU so potentially BoA sees the Barclays' inquiry. Well fingers crossed, if people with crazier reports than mine can get them I may have hope. :)

Fingers crossed! Lol.....I thought I wasn't even getting any hard pulls until I saw Experian.

So AmEx has me confused. My first Gold statement closed on 10/9 but I don’t see any MR listed and I still have a 0 balance. Don’t I receive MR from that spend when the statement closes?

My platinum account looks the same. I was thinking the MRs wouldn't show up until after I paid my first bill. I can see them pending if I go through a bunch of convoluted steps to find them (I can't even say how I found them, but I was clicking on something like my bill summary).

So AmEx has me confused. My first Gold statement closed on 10/9 but I don’t see any MR listed and I still have a 0 balance. Don’t I receive MR from that spend when the statement closes?
No, AmEx doesn't post them until the 2nd statement. IIRC there's something in the T&C about points depends on payment or something crazy like that. So your points go pending at statement close, they are then posted at the end of the next statement cycle. Bonuses (sign ups or Amex offers) are on a different cycle and can show up in the middle of a statement, while the base points that earned them wait until the next statement to post.

It's another plus for UR points... or just about any other card issuer.

Thanks again!

I checked my report and do not see my INK on there. Does the business card not count toward a personal 5/24? If it does count I have one more slot and then have two that fall off in May.

Here is a little more info on what I am trying to map out for a plan to attack this:

I would like to figure out a way to have a hotel for 2-3 days in Waikiki, and a hotel in Vancouver for one night. We are open to different brands/tiers of hotels. I want to be on the beach in Honolulu though. I think I have enough Ultimate Rewards points already for the Flight home from the cruise from Vancouver to Indy (I have over 140K).
I am guessing I need to get a new SW card between now and then for my husband and I to each to have enough points for one of us to purchase flights from Indy to San Fran and the other from San Fran to Honolulu (we have never done a flight that long and would like to split it up.) If we have enough Hotel points left over covering the San Fran evening would be a bonus.

DH just applied for the Savor Card so that will be $500 to set aside for excursions/extras. I would ideally like to do one of those in my name to get another $500 toward the trip if it can work out. Any other cash reward cards I can work in are great to get extra money toward the ‘extras’ for the trip so we can splurge!

One bummer-we both have Sapphires I am going to cancel so I don’t think those are an option for us. I have two SWA ones in my name and am going to cancel one of them this week to start the clock to get another. I think DH could get one immediately if my INK is not against him and that would be his #5.
If there is another way to get Ultimate Rewards I would prefer this over another Southwest Card to get the Southwest points since they are more flexible.

For planning purposes we generally could get $3K on to the card easily, probably some months are $4K-$5K depending on the month with general expenses. With the holidays coming spending will be higher and we also have a trip in March that will have some purchases we could use for points. We always pay balance in full before due date so interest is not an issue.

Absolutely! I’ll circle back with a fuller reply later today. I’m spending this beautiful day with my kiddo!

ETA: You can pull your report on Credit Karma for free, and it’ll give you an accurate count of your open and closed credit card accounts. Don’t worry about the SPG personal, since it’s been so long ago.

Amex keeps bugging me to get the rose gold card! Someone with more common sense than me please make them go away - at least until after Xmas....

But it's so pretty :p It was really nice to see 4x on the dining from The Edison last weekend at WDW and the various stands at HHN. Today DH and I stopped by Cheesecake Factory and were able to purchase a $10 GC with the Rose Gold Amex. DH, didn't request a new rose gold card for himself. He says because it weighs more and can't be shredded. I wonder if knowing he's a plane princess and then adding a Rose Gold card to his wallet might have something to do with it. ;-)

Took me a while to finally look up my SPG Biz statements, because I know I got the 3 points like I should, so you should have gotten an adjustment line in your SPG account for the converted points pre 8/1:

AmEx SPG 8/1 changeover

Statement 7/21 – 8/20

Transactions 7/24 – 7/31 = 670

8/28 two sets of points posted in my SPG account, 670 base spend and “Spg Ax Base Spend Adjustment” for 1350. So I got all my transactions at 3x like I should with those two credits.( actually a couple more that I'm not going to complain about)

Just some ammunition if you decide to go back to get them if you didn't get the correct adjustment. You absolutely should have gotten 3 new points for each old SPG point earned before 8/1 since AmEx used a specific date rather than a statement cycle.
I looked and you are correct. Not sure why I thought that.

Do NOT use your parent’s small biz for biz cards. Business credit reports exist & you don’t want to mess that up for them in anyway so stay away. If you want a biz card get your own for YOUR small business (eBay, etsy, Craigslist, etc).

Also do not make your parents AUs on your cards, you could bring down their credit card scores in doing so if they have excellent credit.

I say this with the best intentions: Stashing travel points for future travel when you could actually use cash today is a very bad idea. You cannot see the future- points lose value, programs change, life circumstances change. So solve today’s problem and rid yourself of all cc debt and then pick your first card toward your future trip. “But 5/24! But all the best cards are travel points! But cash isn’t the point! But I’m not getting anything back on my spending right now! But I could transfer to 0% and pay it off when I feel like it. Etc...” I’m gonna be blunt: none of those matter if you have any credit card debt that you cannot payoff with cash right now. Yes, 0% is better than the interest you’re paying now- so transfer and pay it off asap. After you payoff the credit card debt completely wade back into the cc waters and pick one card and work through the spend on it, paying it on time EVERY month. If that works out then move onto a 2nd card. If it doesn’t work out own up to it, pay it off as soon as you can & stay away from credit cards completely, they aren’t for you.

CC offers aren’t going anywhere. There will always be another great cc sign up bonus when you’re ready.

ETA: there is no way to preserve travel point value aside from actually using the points

I see you e already gotten some advice. I have to say, I’d recommend a plan for your outstanding balance first. Whether it be paying it off outright, or applying for and receiving a 0% Card for balance transfers with a plan to pay $x per month until it’s paid off. Get that set up first and then work on the rewards cards especially since you don’t have specific travel goals and your graduation gifts are a bit off. Paying interest on current balances negates savings from rewards cards as I’m sure you know.
I definitely understand the importance of paying off my current balance, and am going to switch that to a 0% card. I was just thinking I could start earning points on another card by using it for normal expenses and paying it off each month. I appreciate the reminder that planning too far in advance could backfire since there is no guarantee of what will happen to earned rewards in the future. I think I will focus on getting the balance paid off before I get any new cards.

There are reports of people finding out that their “dining” expenses are not coding 4x on their Amex rose gold cards. Chase’s definition of dining is far more expansive than Amex’s. So,I’d rather get a guaranteed 3x on dining through my CSR than a possible 4x MR on the rose gold card. For this reason alone, plus the fact that other than Canada, I don’t travel internationally, I’m keeping my CSR.

No, AmEx doesn't post them until the 2nd statement. IIRC there's something in the T&C about points depends on payment or something crazy like that. So your points go pending at statement close, they are then posted at the end of the next statement cycle. Bonuses (sign ups or Amex offers) are on a different cycle and can show up in the middle of a statement, while the base points that earned them wait until the next statement to post.

It's another plus for UR points... or just about any other card issuer.
That’s just crazy. I have basically wait 2 months to get what I earned. But I don’t even see them pending anywhere to pay out on my next statement.

There are reports of people finding out that their “dining” expenses are not coding 4x on their Amex rose gold cards. Chase’s definition of dining is far more expansive than Amex’s. So,I’d rather get a guaranteed 3x on dining through my CSR than a possible 4x MR on the rose gold card. For this reason alone, plus the fact that other than Canada, I don’t travel internationally, I’m keeping my CSR.

While this is true (particularly where the dining establishment uses Square), I’ve also read on FT and Reddit that the coding is corrected on the actual statement (vs. the transaction details you get from the new version of the Amex website).

I had shifted all my dining spend from Amex to the CSR, and only recently shifted my dining back to Amex with the Gold card changes. I have a few dining charges that didn’t code as 4x, so I’ll be on the lookout to see if they’re corrected when my statement cuts.

While this is true (particularly where the dining establishment uses Square), I’ve also read on FT and Reddit that the coding is corrected on the actual statement (vs. the transaction details you get from the new version of the Amex website).

I had shifted all my dining spend from Amex to the CSR, and only recently shifted my dining back to Amex with the Gold card changes. I have a few dining charges that didn’t code as 4x, so I’ll be on the lookout to see if they’re corrected when my statement cuts.
That’s good news if true. I’m a fan of Amex(I hold the Platinum and plan to renew), but I want to wait until the dust settles before I go for the rose gold card.

Thanks again!

I checked my report and do not see my INK on there. Does the business card not count toward a personal 5/24? If it does count I have one more slot and then have two that fall off in May.

Here is a little more info on what I am trying to map out for a plan to attack this:

I would like to figure out a way to have a hotel for 2-3 days in Waikiki, and a hotel in Vancouver for one night. We are open to different brands/tiers of hotels. I want to be on the beach in Honolulu though. I think I have enough Ultimate Rewards points already for the Flight home from the cruise from Vancouver to Indy (I have over 140K).
I am guessing I need to get a new SW card between now and then for my husband and I to each to have enough points for one of us to purchase flights from Indy to San Fran and the other from San Fran to Honolulu (we have never done a flight that long and would like to split it up.) If we have enough Hotel points left over covering the San Fran evening would be a bonus.

DH just applied for the Savor Card so that will be $500 to set aside for excursions/extras. I would ideally like to do one of those in my name to get another $500 toward the trip if it can work out. Any other cash reward cards I can work in are great to get extra money toward the ‘extras’ for the trip so we can splurge!

One bummer-we both have Sapphires I am going to cancel so I don’t think those are an option for us. I have two SWA ones in my name and am going to cancel one of them this week to start the clock to get another. I think DH could get one immediately if my INK is not against him and that would be his #5.
If there is another way to get Ultimate Rewards I would prefer this over another Southwest Card to get the Southwest points since they are more flexible.

For planning purposes we generally could get $3K on to the card easily, probably some months are $4K-$5K depending on the month with general expenses. With the holidays coming spending will be higher and we also have a trip in March that will have some purchases we could use for points. We always pay balance in full before due date so interest is not an issue.

A few thoughts on the fly:

1. Do you have a list of cards opened by you and DH in the past two years, including the month and year?

2. Chase Ink cards are subject to the 5/24 rule, in that you have to be under 5/24 to be approved for the Ink cards; but business cards generally, with a few exceptions, don’t report to your personal credit reports and therefore in Chase’s eyes don’t count against their 5/24 rule.

Which Ink card do you/DH have? Chase currently offers 3 Ink cards: the Preferred (“CIP”), Cash (“CIC”), and Unlimited (“CIU”). The cards offer different benefits that might make one better suited than the others for ongoing spend; but from a signup bonus only perspective, the CIP offers the biggest 80k UR signup bonus, with the ability to refer others for 20k UR per approved card, and the CIC and CIU each offer a 50k UR signup bonus.

3. Waikiki hotels on the beach — offhand, I can really only think of the Hilton Hawaiian Village; the Halekulani; the Sheraton Waikiki, which shares a beachfront with the Royal Hawaiian; the Moana Surfrider; and the Outrigger hotels.

4. How do you feel about big annual fees? And what if the fees are offset by credits and other benefits?

5. Are you a member of the DISchurners subreddit? If not, please do consider joining, because we try to keep tips and links to credit card offers on there that you can use to help earn and redeem credit card rewards and support other members with your clicks (and of course, feel free to post your own links too).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter