I Love the Little Fishies. Don't You?

Sultana, those shoes are lovely. I don't think Corinna wears heels though so I might have to have them for myself :rotfl:

I saw those shoes at Harrods one Christmas time. They were lovely and selling like hot cakes!

That would be fun - and a high probability as it would likely be 2017 (at least) before we could fit it in ;)

That would definitely be fun.

The crossing looks fascinating!!! This cruise is very high on mom's list, her man is an engineer.

Did the bored guy not know what the cruise was about? :confused3

It is great and there is something really magical about a Panama Canal crossing - for most people anyway. You do have to wonder about some people.

All your pictures brought back great memories for me. That blue princess night dress is just stunning!!

We did a private excursion with other people from the DIS group in Cartagena and it looks like it was very similar to yours. We did go to La Popa first, I think we were the first group there in the morning, maybe we were the bus coming down while you were trying to go up :) . Then we went to the fort and walked to the top and through, very cool! Then the "cells" for shopping, Old Town, the wall, etc. It seems like we did everything very similar, just started a little earlier. We did have a long time to walk through Old Town and we didn't do the church or naval museum. Our guide was great, Dora (the Explorer).

I really thought Cartagena was a great city also, I was really surprised how much I liked it and would love to go back.

You got so many great pictures of the canal. Our camera was lost/stolen/gone the day of the group mixology class so after that we just have video and phone pictures. Kind of disappointing but what can you do? Go Again! :) This was our first time through and we had Palo brunch that day. While the view was beautiful from there, I don't think I would do it again because with getting ready and eating the resulting food coma, I think I lost too much deck time soaking in the atmosphere.

We were on the visitor center side on deck 9 and it was pretty cool to watch everyone wave and get so excited when they blew the horn.

I can definitely see us doing this cruise again in a few years.

We were on the visitor centre side in 2011 and I suppose it was nice to get a different perspective. When we did the crossing in 2011, they still offered tea in Palo and we did that on the crossing day. It just did not work for us. I prefer the view lower down and I did feel it kind of ate into the day too much.

What a shame about your camera. I would have been devastated and we have a whole bunch of different cameras. I do like your solution though. You should definitely plan another trip.

I was pondering joining the Dora tour and maybe we should have done, but on the whole our tour was pretty enjoyable.

I'm not caught up yet and someone else may have already asked but what do you plan to do with the Emerald?

The emerald is going to the jewellery artist that did most of the jewellery I was wearing during the cruise and she will turn it into a pendant for me.

I am loving your trip report, it's almost as if I have been there myself (oh, wait, I *have* been there myself, just not on DCL, lol)

Did you ever see these shoes? They are (were?) sold at Harrods and are gorgeous, and would go so well with all your gowns! Good thing about the sparkle is that they match everything (and no need for a matching pair for each dress since that would be a PITA to pack!)

screen-shot-2012-10-14-at-20-19-17.png

disney_small2.jpg

Welcome on board. Those shoes are so beautiful. Unfortunately Joh is right. I cannot wear heels following an ankle injury when I was in my mid teens.

Sultana, those shoes are lovely. I don't think Corinna wears heels though so I might have to have them for myself :rotfl:

No, I don't. I leave this to Nat.

Corinna

Great info about the canal.

So Dis cruise 2017 then is it, I can't see us cruising again before then.

My husband was a US Army Captain at the time that the US invaded Panama to oust Manuel Noriagia 1989. He was a paratrooper and was dropped behind the lines, and the Panamanian Army was shooting at him. So he told me once that he does not want to go back to a place for fun, where people were shooting at him. :scared1:

Oh my heavens. :faint: I wouldn't go back either. Ever. Thank goodness he was not hit. :goodvibes

Day 10

After a couple of busy days between a port day and the Panama Canal crossing, we started the day at a slower pace. We had set the alarm call for 8:00 and got up and ready in time for Walk A Mile. It was another beautiful day to start of with and it was a great start to the day to walk in the sunshine and watch the ocean. I saw my first dolphins. Graham had seen some earlier in the trip, but they were the first ones for me. After Walk A Mile, we headed to Triton's for some breakfast. We went with some old favourites. We both had some coffee. Graham had an Orange Juice and I had an Apple Juice. Graham had Fresh Fruit with Yoghurt and Granola followed by Express, which consists of Scrambled Eggs, Grilled Ham, Bacon, Sausage and Hash Brown. I raided the kid's menu again and went with Dale's Omelet, which was filled with Turkey Sausage and Sweet Corn and came with Bacon and Hash Brown on the side. I also had the Peanut Butter and Jelly Typhoon, which is a Pancake with Peanut Butter and Jam and a side of Fresh Fruit.

After breakfast, we briefly went back to the cabin. Graham picked up his camera and his telescope and I got my book. We then headed up to deck 4 and settled down. I managed to find myself a lounger and got stuck into my book. Unfortunately before too long, the weather started to turn. What had started out as a beautiful morning, turned quite wet. It was raining so heavily at one point that the rain reached me on my lounger, which was right up against the back wall. This threw a few spanners in the work. I was going to head up to deck 9 to watch the Wii Bowling Tournament between our cruise director Jimmy and Captain Fabian. I figured that might be quite entertaining, but not entertaining enough to get wet for. There were also meant to be a number of character Meet and Greets supposed to start soon at the gazebo on deck 9. One of them was Stitch. I decided to head over to Shutters as I figured they would know if the Meet and Greets would still go ahead. As I made my way over to Shutters, I bumped into Drew who told me that he had just made the decision to move the character meet and greets inside and they would now take place a Preludes. I thanked him and headed in that general direction.

Because of the fairly last minute change of venues, the characters did not have a photographer with them. This was fine with me. It was just nice to get another Stitch cuddle. Once I was finished with Stitch, I thought that I should have got my autograph book to finally get Stitch's autograph. I quickly went back to our cabin to get it and also picked up my wallet. I got back in line, which had grown quite considerably. Still, I was in no rush and soon it was my turn to see Stitch. I had him sign a page in my book and got another hug. Then I headed over to Mickey's Mates to have another go at getting my gift card sorted out. Elisabeth was there and got my gift card out of the cupboard. It was just as well that she had put it to one side for me as all the Halloween gift cards had gone. This time round the card went through without any problems. I am surprised that it was easier to get a signal in the open ocean rather than in the relative civilization of the Panama Canal.

I went down to Guest Services to apply the gift card to my onboard account. I had timed this perfectly as nobody was in front of me. On the way back, I bumped into our cruise director Jimmy. I had heard that Captain Fabian had won the Wii Bowling competition. I made a comment that I had heard that things had not gone according to plan and he just grinned and said, "Call it job security". I then headed to the cabin to drop off my stuff before briefly catching up with Graham to arrange where and when to meet.

Next up for me was the second George Scribner talk that I managed to attend. This one was called Behind the Scenes of Mickey's PhilharMagic. I have always loved this attraction. Indeed, this is one of only two of the 3D shows that were ever in the parks that do not freak me out. George Scribner is the director for Mickey's PhilharMagic. I learned a number of interesting facts. The most fascinating fact was that originally Tinkerbell was supposed to be the main character. We got to see extensive storyboards with Tinkerbell playing the role that is now played by Donald. It was in a meeting with Michael Eisner where they were presenting the idea and trying to get the go ahead for the project that Michael Eisner commented that this needed Donald. So the project went ahead, but Donald replaced Tinkerbell. I have to say I have a hard time imagining this with Tinkerbell. I think Donald is perfect for his role in this. Another interesting fact was that all the different elements of Mickey's PhilharMagic were designed to be completely modular and therefore can be replaced with modules from any film relatively easily. I am really hoping that at some stage they will make use of this. I can imagine a Frozen segment to fit really well. We were also talked through the various production stages using the Little Mermaid sequence as an example. I had to smile when George Scribner referred to the period of time that covers films from The Little Mermaid to Tarzan as the Second Golden Age of Disney Movies. I had not counted Tarzan in this group, but I have referred to the period from The Little Mermaid to Mulan in the same way for years and this always causes a lot of shaking of heads. I felt vindicated and I give him Tarzan. The whole talk was very interesting and I thoroughly enjoyed this. I have a whole new appreciation of Mickey's PhilharMagic.

When the talk was over, I had to rush off. I had to be at Diversions for 14:00. Graham was waiting for me sitting in one of the big portholes on deck 3. This was the afternoon where we had an open bar event from our DISboards/ Facebook group. There were about 100 people taking part. The person organizing this deserves a medal. When we got the original information of what would be included in terms of drinks, there was nothing really that jumped out at me, but it was about $13, there was one wine on the list that I quite like and I thought it would be a nice social event. So I signed up. I had not even mentioned it to Graham as he normally steers clear of group events like this. It somehow came up in conversation between us the day after the official closing date. He decide that this sounded like fun and asked me to check if he could still be added. We were out and about at the time, but as soon as we got home, I messaged the organizer to see if I could add a second person. Fortunately the closing date was late on the Friday evening and the list of participants was not due to be submitted to Disney Cruise Line until the Monday morning. So she told me that as long as I could send the money through PayPal before then, it would be no problem to add Graham. I sent the money straightaway and Graham was added to the list.

When we got to Diversions, the room was already pretty full. We managed to find a booth at the far end of the room near the bar and were soon joined by a family from Vancouver. We hit it off straightaway. Later somebody from Scotland also joined us. We had a great time just talking and swapping stories and time went far too quickly. We had an hour and actually this turned into closer to 90 minutes, but time definitely flies when you are having fun. As to my concern that there was not really much that I wanted to drink, this proved to be completely unfounded. Before we had even sat down, a bartender came round with a tray with various cocktails. We both had a Blue Hawaiian to start with and then I finally got to have my Sour Apple Martini. Actually, I had two of those. Graham also had a Sour Apple Martini and then graduated to Bahama Mamas. He had two of those. Just before the bar closed, I went to get myself a Mojito. I had seen them on the trays, but they were always gone by the time the bartender came to us. All the cocktails were delicious and they were full size. We definitely got our money's worth during that event.

While we were still finishing our last cocktail, the cruise staff set up for Know Your Logos Trivia. I thought this sounded like fun. The people we had been sitting with during the open bar event left as they had other commitments, but we were joined by another couple and formed a team with them. We did quite well. We only got a couple of logos wrong. Still, there were a number of people who got all correct so there was a tiebreaker. At the end of the trivia, the club host mentioned that they were looking into doing Airline Tail Trivia later in the cruise. My ears pricked up. Not only do I work for an airline, but also I have been fascinated by everything to do with the airline industry since I was about 5 years old. This was right up my street.

By then, we were definitely ready for some food. We had a big breakfast that morning, but that was a number of hours ago. We headed up to deck 9. Graham had a Cheeseburger and Fries and I had a Hot Dog and Fries. We then headed back to the cabin to take a nap. We must have needed it as we slept right through both of the pre-dinner character sets. I was a bit irritated with myself about this as this meant that I missed Captain Hook and Mr. Smee. Fortunately our stateroom host knocked at some stage to check if we were in or if he could make up our cabin or else we would have slept straight through dinner. We quickly got showered and ready before heading to dinner.

Dinner that evening was at Triton's and we had the World of Flavour menu. We both had the Mexican Beef Turnovers with a zesty Herb Dipping Sauce for our starter. Graham then had the German Green Pea Soup with Knockwurst and Potatoes followed by English Thyme Marinated Cod Fillet with Smashed Cheddar Cheese and Onion Potatoes, Batons of Leek and Chive Cream Sauce with a hint of Whiskey. I had the Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup with Bacon Bits and Chives followed by German Pork Tenderloin Medallions, Golden Brown Spätzle with Caramelized Onions and a Red Wine Reduction. Graham had the Old English Bread and Butter Pudding with Brandy Custard Sauce for dessert and although he commented that it was not very authentic, he did enjoy it. I did not fancy anything from the dessert menu, but ordered a Mickey Bar. I so wish I had brought my camera to dinner that day. A few people on our table had ordered Mickey Bars that night and they all came on rectangular plates with I Love written in chocolate with the Mickey Bar next to it.

After dinner, we said goodbye to our tablemates and headed off to get some photos done. They had the other wallpaper backdrop out that evening, but also had the black backdrop that they combined with a blue light.

Once we had finished with those, I decided to go and see Cinderella, Suzy and Perla. I sent Graham ahead to the cabin and got in line. I noticed that Princess Sofia was up on deck 4 and had nobody with her at all. So I went up to see her. I was just on my way back to the can I when I met Drew who gave me a heads up that Captain Hook and Peter Pan would be out together very shortly. On the listing, it had only said Captain Hook. Having those two out together was too good an opportunity to miss so I turned around again and headed back to the atrium. I was near the front of the line and had a really fun interaction. Once I had said goodbye to Captain Hook and Peter Pan, I went back to our cabin, took a quick photo of our towel animal and got ready for bed.

I will post the next update in a week. I am heading to Germany for the weekend. It is our college reunion as it is 20 years since we graduated and I decided to go for this. I will get back in the early morning hours of Monday, but I have a really busy week ahead of me so won't have time to post an update until Thursday.

Corinna

I will post the next update in a week. I am heading to Germany for the weekend. It is our college reunion as it is 20 years since we graduated and I decided to go for this. I will get back in the early morning hours of Monday, but I have a really busy week ahead of me so won't have time to post an update until Thursday.

Corinna

Have a great time and enjoy your reunion - I will be waiting (not so) patiently for the next update ;)

Really love the close-up pic of you and Graham! Have a lovely time at your reunion!

The Philharmagic talk sounds fascinating!!! I can't imagine Tinkerbell in that role either. How nice you were able to add Graham to the Diversions event and that you had a great time.

Have fun at the reunion! :)

Have a great time at the reunion! 20 years but you look like it was just yesterday... You must have been a childhood genius...

The talk sounds like such fun and your day of relaxing was well needed it sounds like.

Have a great time at the reunion

You most definitely got your money's worth at the open bar and it sounds lots of fun to chat to new people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter