I miss classic computing

I grew up in the 8-bit computer era. We had these at school in the classrooms:

1687299927462.png
The o'l TI-99 with some educational cartridges and a few games.

The Computer Lab had the C64's and some Apple ][ units:

1687299986058.png1687300031838.png

We got to go there once a week to learn some BASIC - LOAD "$",8.

At home, we eventually got this Apple ][ C knockoff, the Laser 128, with a whole 128 KB of RAM, baby!

1687300098003.png

Good stuff!

Never had a PC at home until Win95.
I still have the big HP behemoth,
it's a giant paperweight.

I do miss my HS tech classes
where we hand wrote programs
on graph paper using Cobal & RPGII.

View attachment 769553

View attachment 769554View attachment 769555

At home, we eventually got this Apple ][ C knockoff, the Laser 128, with a whole 128 KB of RAM, baby!

View attachment 769556

Good stuff!
I'm old. Those are the computers my KIDS had in school.

I had a TRS-80 as a teen, that I programmed in BASIC. I can still picture the lesson book.

I wouldn't remember how to do it now, but I had the coolest kaleidoscope program I used to run as background music in my room. - It set little rectangles (mirrored in each quadrant) in random colors with a sound associated with each one.

PS - I had to Google whether to type BASIC in lowercase or all caps, and learned it stood for: Beginners' All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code.

I remember back to DOS.

C:\>

OMG I hated that! I remember being in school having to suffer through computer class having to (attempt to) learn DOS. I remember stuff like WordStar, Word Perfect... but Print Shop was fun :rotfl2:

View attachment 769553

View attachment 769554View attachment 769555

View attachment 769556

Good stuff!

Did you ever try typing in one of those games from the back of Compute! Magazine?

computes-gazette_program-listing.jpg

I just miss it before the "smart iot" phase, now in days we have all these cheap "smart" products that are actually dumber than the non smart products and all these people that think they know about tech just because they can follow the super simple setup instructions... meanwhile all these shady security practices become common place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter