I need a good book recommendation

1rockinmamato2

<marquee><font color=red> *** <font color=green>I
It has been almost three years since I've read an entire book! (And What to Expect the Toddler Years and Toddler 411 or children's books DO NOT COUNT!) ;)

However, I do have some time lately that I can carve out for myself and I'm looking for a good book to read and need to recommendations. I'm looking for somethinng not too deep (light is good) and preferably nothing that is part of a series.

Thanks!

Do you like funny?

Sophie Kinsella writes a great series, Confessions of a Shopaholic is the first one. BUT, since you don't want a series she also writes individual non-series books. Can You Keep a Secret and The Undomestic Goddess are a couple of them, they really are stand alone, no series books and they are absolutely hilarious!

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult
Talk Before Sleep by Elizabeth Berg

Plain Truth and Nineteen Minutes are rivoting. Absolutely wonderful books to read, especially if you want real page turners.

Talk Before Sleep is about a woman with breast cancer and her group of friends that surround her. FANTASTIC. Honestly, it is like reading someone's diary. I have read this 3 or 4 times and it is just a good read. You will laugh and you will definitely cry, but most importantly, it's enjoyable.

My favs this year so far have been:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin
The Glass Castle by Jeannaette Walls

Happy Reading :D

I just read My Side of the Story by Will Davis. It's more of a young adult book, but it was really well written and a good story.

I just finished the funniest book I ever read. It's called, "Stop Dressing Your Six -Year-Old Like a Skank!" by Celia Rivenbark If you are not a perfect mom/person with perfect kids, you will totally appreciate her take on things. I am a slooooowww reader, and I finished it in a day and a half...not continuously! She has two others I am waiting on, "We're just like you only prettier-confessions of a Southern belle" and "Bless Your Heart, Tramp: And Other Southern Endearments". I can't wait to read the other two. You don't have to be southern to appreciate the humour. there are some "naughty" words in it, if that offends.

Thanks everyone. I knew the folks on the DIS would come through for me on this. :worship:

I got one of the Shopoholic books and two of Celia Rivenbark's were bargain books for $4.99 on Amazon so I got those.

I can't wait until they get here. They look great for limited attentio span since I swear I've developed ADD since the kids were born. :upsidedow

If you want enjoyable fluff...The Janet Evanovich - Stephanie Plum series books are funny (one for the money, two for the dough, etc). You can pick up any of them and read without reading the entire series. She recaps everything in the first chapter of every book. There is an occassional potty word if it bothers you but they are laugh out loud funny.

I love to read but I have certain catagories of reads.

My summer reads are typically bigger editions or a complete series.
Then I have vacation/beach reads that are frivolous, mindless reading.
And then my winter reads are usually moody, life changing, highly emotional reads.
There is some truly excellent christian fiction out there. Jane Kirkpatrick is my favorite!

JD Robb/Nora Roberts
Elm Creek Quilt series
Mitch Albom has some really good books
Mary Higgins Clark
Tami Hoag
Catherine Coulter
Beverly Lewis
Nicholas Sparks
Richard Evans
Susan Wiggs
James Patterson

I read this book some time ago. A good read. The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards

The books by Phillipa Gregory are on my list for this summer. The Bolyn Girl, etc.

If you havent read Their Eyes Were Watching God, order it!!!

My husband and MIL love the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Not his usual horror stuff.

The books by Phillipa Gregory are on my list for this summer. The Bolyn Girl, etc.

The Phillipa Gregory books are FABULOUS! I've read through 3 or 4 of them. They hold my attention very well and have fabulous imagery. The ones that take place in Tudor England are actually kind of a series (which I didn't realize - duh), but they way she does it is really cool - each book is told from the perspective of a different character.

For something a little more non-fiction, may I suggest Maximum Rock And Roll by Murray Engleheart and Arnaud Durieux. It's about Aussie rock legends, AC/DC (mostly the Young brothers, but lots of Bon Scott stuff too).

The language can get a little raw in it though, so be warned if that's something that bothers you.

I've recently finished The Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella. It was hilarious! Some colorful language, but as long as that doesn't bother you, it's a good read.

I've also finished PS I Love You by Cecelia Ahren. Loved the book, but it's a tearjerker. I believe this was made into a movie recently as well! Hillary Swank was in it...

I like Meg Cabot's new series: the first one is Size 12 is not fat

I am reading "The Lost Choice" by Andy Andrews right now.

I am also looking forward to the new Jonathan Kellerman book...just have to get it ordered.

I have categories for my books, fluff and nonfluff. Right now I am tending to read fluff...doesn't use as many brain cells....though "The Lost Choice" is nonfluff...kind of like The DaVinci Code of archeoligical artifacts.

My 16 year old DD is reading the Stephenie Meyer books. There is another thread about them here on the boards.
They are about a family of vampires and the first one is called "Twilight".
21SR37CW3SL._AA75_.jpg

It must be good, because she finished it in 3 days! She's reading the second one, New Moon, now.

I just got The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I saw his lecture on GMA and then on YouTube, and was relly impressed with what he said. He is a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon and is dying of pancreatic cancer. He leaves his lecture, and his book, primarily for his 3 children, who will have to grow up without him. Very touching. It is also a very quick read, and he definitely is a Disney fan - he worked in Disney Imagineering during his sabbatical!

21LcmTztVDL._AA75_.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter