I need a great chocolate recipe for Thanksgiving!

tina.tina

DIS Veteran
I have been "assigned" a dessert for Thanksgiving dinner at my parents' house. Mom makes pumpkin pies every year and my sister says she is making a cranberry dessert. I figured I'd bring something chocolate.

One problem I have is that my mom hates brownies or brownie consistency stuff. Also, I like the eclair cake but don't want to do anything really puddingy.

Any ideas?

I would go the simple route and buy a Marie Callendar Chocolate Silk Pie.
:)

We are only having Lemon Meringue Pie (courtesy of Marie Callendar) and I am going to make a Raspberry Ribbon Pie. We are not having Pumpkin Pie this year.

My kids insist we have Chocolate Cream Pie every year as one of our desserts. I have made from scratch, box and frozen. They love Edwards brand in freezer section.
Also a simple Chocolate cake trifle.. layer chocolate cake cubed in pieces in a glass dish.. with things family enjoys.. I have used a variety of things whipped cream always but u can use any or all chocolate syrup. pie fillings.. puddings.. chocolate chips.. coconut, candy bar pieces.. so many options and always a big hit.

Super easy chocolate pie. Buy a graham cracker crust and a box of Dream Whip. Follow recipe on box and scoop into crust. I like to sprinkle Heath bits on top.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

A favorite in our house is devil's food cake with mocha buttercream frosting. I use box cake mix and make the frosting from scratch. Hubby HATES brownies, and he loves this cake.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/mocha-frosting/

We have modified the above recipe to suit our tastes - a little less sugar, and a little more milk and butter.

Chocolate truffles or double chocolate cookies or chocolate cake pops - something small, easy, and portable for those who don't want a big slice of something:)..

I can't cut and paste links from my phone, but if you do anGoogle search for chocolate saltine recipe you'll find a recipe that is easy and delicious!

truffles easy and fast
one bag of morsels dark choc. melt pour in sweet condensed milk stir till smooth and pour in bowl to chill one hour. then scoop out with small baller roll in what ever you like nuts, powdered cocoa
you can even by a small bottle of flavored liquor and pour it in after the milk. I like orange myself and delish. by small I mean minibar small.

Tina, do you like cheesecake? I've made a chocolate turtle cheesecake that was always a crowd pleaser. It's very easy and there's several recipes to choose from.

Other than that, I'd try a chocolate/espresso cake.

I've made a pecan pie trifle before that is absolutely delicious. It's got edwards pecan pie, chocolate fudge topping, caramel topping, cream cheese, whipped cream, nuts.. If you would like the recipe I can send it to you.

Black Forest cake is always a huge hit for me. You can use a boxed cake mix or make a chocolate cake from scratch. Then just make a cream cheese frosting and top with canned cherry pie filling. If you want it easy use a rectangle cake pan. To make it fancy make a layer cake and frost in between layers. I usually go with rectangle because I'm bad at getting my layers out of the pan in one piece!

Lava cake. It's actually deceptively simple to make. I love the recipe from Ghirardelli Chocolate:

http://www.ghirardelli.com/recipes-tips/recipes/individual-chocolate-lava-cakes

Pre-prepare the cakes and then refrigerate while eating dinner. Cook while cleaning up. The recipe is easy to double or triple.

Instead of ramekins I use pyrex baking cups - they are about the same size only have slanted sides which makes it easier for the cakes to slide out. Also they can be had very cheaply used at places like goodwill.

I'm going to make this, but I'm not going to disclose that there is pumpkin in the cake. My picky husband wouldn't eat it. :headache:

This would travel well. I'm pretty sure the recipe came from Good Housekeeping.

Chocolate Pumpkin Cake
INGREDIENTS
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup sour cream
1 can (15 ounces) sold pack pumpkin

PREPARATION

Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan. Heat oven to 325°.

In a bowl combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. In a mixing bowl with electric mixer, cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Slowly beat in the dry mixture, alternating with the sour cream and pumpkin. Beat until well blended, scraping the sides of the bowl a few times.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean and the cake springs back when lightly touched with a finger.

Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto a serving plate to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar.

This is my go-to dessert for parties...it is super moist, and has an awesome chocolatey flavor without being too heavy. Also it is super easy to make! A friend of mine gave me the recipe a couple of years ago.

KAHLUA CAKE

Cake:

1 box yellow cake mix
1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
1/4 cup Kahlua
1/4 cup vodka
3/4 cup water

Glaze:

1/4 cup Kahlua
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar (plus additional for serving)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Butter and flour a ten-inch Bundt pan.

In a large bowl using an electric mixer, combine all the ingredients listed under "cake" and beat for about 2 minutes, until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, approximately 55 minutes.

Invert the cake onto a serving plate.

To make the glaze recipe: While the cake is baking, in a small bowl, whisk together the Kahlua and confectioner's sugar until smooth. Pour the glaze over the warm cake and let cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar, slice into wedges, and serve.

Chocolate covered strawberries are so easy to make and people devour them whenever I take them, just have to be done the morning of or the night before. I think people like them because they are light yet also satisfy if you have had too much to eat from the main meal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter