I need a Halloween treat...

grover

DIS Veteran
Well if anyone can help me you guys can!! I signed up to provide goodies for my son's 4th grade Halloween party. I realize that it is still a ways off but I can't think of anything except cupcakes!! Any my son doesn't like cake!! Any ideas out there of something that is easy to make?? I'm not great at making cookies either! It would need to be something easy to transport as he will have to carry it by himself from daycare to school-which is in the same building but all the same he is a 9 year old boy! So bring those great ideas on!! Thanks in Advance
Grover in Winnipeg
:sunny:

hi grover,
have you thought about rice crispie treats? they are pretty easy to make and pretty sturdy. althought they are very sticky. kellog's has an add right now with a recipe to make them into monsters. good luck.
worm

What about good old popcorn balls. Your son can even help make them! Good Luck with what ever you pick.

In addition to the ideas above, any kind of a bar treat would be good. Southern Living has some adorable Halloween chocolate and caramel apples, but that would be a huge undertaking for a whole class.

How about frosted cookies. You can buy any molds you want.....pumpkin, witch etc and then have your son help cut and frost them. I even decorate them with different colors according to the occasion.

Here's the recipe I use if your interested.

4 cups flour
2 sticks Butter (room temp).......they don't tast as good with margarine
1/2 cup white sugar

work and mix by hand all ingredients together until it will roll out smoothly. It will take quite a bit to get this all smooth so you can cut it with your cutters. If it's too crumbly add a little more butter until it will all stick together.

Bake your cut cookies......don't make them too thin ot they will break at 350 degrees for about 7-10 minutes. They will still be a light color.

Let cool then frost

Butter Frosting

1 package 10X sugar (the powdered kind)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 sticks of Butter (room temp.)

Mix until spreadable ( you can add a couple of Tbs. of milk if it's too thick)

Color with desired food dye and frost

They are soooooooo good!

Thanks for all of the responses, they are all great ideas, I hadn't thought of popcorn balls, how would I make them? The cookies also sound yummy!!
Grover In Winnipeg

:smooth:

If you don't want to bake at all here is a quick and easy one. Buy some Nutter Butter cookies, they are the ones shaped like peanuts. Then get some white chocolate candy melts. Just melt them in the microwave and dip the cookies in the melted chocolate. Set them on some wax paper to harden. Then put some ghostly eyes and mouths on with a tube of cake decorating icing in brown or black. They will look like cute little ghosts.

ckocot - Nutter Butter Ghosts is such a great idea! I love it! Thanks

We've been on a Disney-recipe hunt recently to get a Disney "fix" and I came across the one for Crisp Rice Cereal Sushi. DD (10) was sooo impressed with this that this is what she planning to take to their party. She told me that it not only sounded delicious, but would make people "go Eeeewwww - Sushi!!!!" - which is evidently desirable for a 10 yr-old's Halloween party.;)

CRISP RICE CEREAL SUSHI
from the California Grill, Contemporary

8 Chewy fruit rolls
¼ cup butter or margarine
1 (10-ounce) package miniature marshmallows
6 cups crisp rice cereal
16 worm-shaped chewy candies or
24 fish-shaped chewy candies

UNROLL fruit roll, and place, with plastic sheet down, on cutting board.
MELT butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add marshmallows, stirring until melted; remove from heat. Stir in rice cereal until blended.
SPREAD about ½ cup cereal mixture quickly over each fruit roll, leaving a 1-inch border on 1 long side. Arrange 2 worm-shaped candies or 3 fish-shaped candies lengthwise down center of cereal mixture.
ROLL up, starting at side without border. Press to seal securely. Repeat procedure with remaining fruit rolls, cereal mixture, and candies.
CUT each roll unto 4 slices. Serve with chopsticks, if desired. Yield: 32 rolls. Prep: 25 min., Cook: 8 min.
Sushi Bars:
PRESS cereal mixture into a buttered 13 x 9 inch pan. Let stand 15 minutes and cut into 2 ½ x 1 inch rectangles.
TOP each bar with a fish-shaped candy.

ANOTHER GREAT IDEA IS S'MORES. JUST BUY A BOX OF GOLDEN GRAHAMS CEREAL AND THE RECIPES IS ON THE BOX. I MAKE THEM OFTEN AND THE KIDS LOVE THEM.

Caramel Popcorn Balls

8 c. popped corn(about 1/2c unpopped)
3/4c. granulated sugar
3/4 brown sugar (packed)
1/2c. light corn syrup
1/2c water
1 tsp. white vinegar
1/4 tsp.salt
3/4c. butter or margarine
Measurre popped corn into Lg. bowl. Combine sugars, corn syrup, water, vinegar and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Heat to boiling over medium-high heat, stiring frequently. Cook stirring constantly, to 260 degrees on candy thermometer ( or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball).
Reduce heat to low; stir in butter until melted. Pour syrup in thin stream over corn in bowl, stirring until corn is well coated. Cool slightly.
Butter hands; shape mixture into 3-inch balls and place on wax paper.
16 balls

Depending on the amount of trouble you want to go to,you could make Boneyard Cups.
Here's the recipe I use.

Boneyard Cups(makes 12)
3 cups of crushed oreo cookies
3 cups of chocolate pudding(I use Jello)
3 cups of white chocolate or vanilla pudding(again,Jello)
1 cup of candy bones
1 pkg of gummy worms
Enough small cups to go around(about 12)
Plastic spoons

Fill the bottom of each cup with enough crushed oreo cookies to cover the bottom.Top with chocolate pudding and then with white choc or vanilla pudding.Repeat crushed cookies and pudding until you reach the top of the cup,topping with the last of the chocolate cookies.Top with candy bones and gummy worms.Serve with a spoon and enjoy!

Grover - I didn't see it in this thread. Did you see the URL someone posted for a Halloween recipe Web site?

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/indexhal.htm

Some really cute ideas - from appetizers to dessert! I've made the Kitty Litter Cake already for DS's birthday. It was a huge hit with his buddies! And yes, it DID look gross. Evidently, this is a GOOD thing!
;)

My favorite recipe - well, the name at least, when looking for something gross - is Ear Wax Wieners on Cotton Swabs. How awful does that sound?!?!? Both kids are asking for those for dinner on Halloween. I may make them as an appetizer that night, but not as the main meal - they look high in fat.

d

Thanks for all of the ideas, I'll be sure to check out the website!
Grover in Winnipeg
:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter