• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I need cheap vacation ideas~~~

Don't get me wrong Kentucky is a BEAUTIFUL state. Problem is to get to Mammouth caves ya need a car. There is not an airport within 75 miles an once you do the cave tour there not much else in that immediate area to do.

Bowling Green between Nashville TN an Cave City where Mammouth caves is at does have the Corvette museum tho. Nashville would have the closest airport to the caves which Nashville is the home of the Grand Ole Opry an I'm sure there are other things to do there as well.

HMMMMM How about the Smokey Mountains? Gatlinburg, Pigeon forge an Dollywood, Cades cove, waterfalls, hiking lots to do in that area. Maybe rent your own private cabin with hot tub an game room prolly around a 100 a night. That you would need a car for but Gatlinburg you can get by without a car. the cabin more relaxing tho

Cleveland? Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Lake Erie
Chicago? Loads of museums, pizza, Frank Lloyd Wright area in Oak Park and so forth
Niagra Falls?
Toronto?
Atlanta-Peachtree, Stone Mountain, great zoo w/pandas
Memphis? wonderful zoo-again pandas, Graceland

I'd stay away from any east coast, Caribbean or gulf beach area just to avoid hurricane season.

Chicago? Loads of museums, pizza, Frank Lloyd Wright area in Oak Park and so forth
Niagra Falls?
Toronto?

I'd stay away from any east coast, Caribbean or gulf beach area just to avoid hurricane season.

This is what I was going to say. ;)

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Fallsview (CA side) with a beautiful view of Horseshoe Falls, Jacuzzi, so nice.
Southwest had $49 airfare from BWI to Buffalo and it's a short drive from there. It was a nice getaway. 2-3 nights would be plenty.

Also staying onsite at Universal is really nice too. All of their hotels are 4* on par with Disney deluxe and within walking distance to the parks. Your room key allows you to bypass the reg line, like an unlimited fast pass.:cloud9: We are so spoiled now.:goodvibes:lovestruc
We LOVE the Hard Rock Hotel. Hip, funky but still luxurious (marble floors in lobby, massive lagoon type pool, etc.)
There's only 2 parks (US/IOA) so 3 days is plenty too. They have AAA discounts.

DH and I are thinking of a trip in early November to Hilton Head Island. It won't be beach weather, but we've wanted to go for a long time. Looking forward to exploring the island by bikes and then checking out Savannah since we will be near there as well. Is that an option for you?

I don't know if someone has mentioned it, but what about New York or the Smoky Mtns? I know Cheapoair.com was having some good deals to new york. The Smoky Mtns are beautiful and good place to relax for a weekend.

What about Charleston or Savannah?

Or maybe Savannah? I know it's on my list to get to someday!

DC is good, too. So many awesome FREE things to do! And you wouldn't have to pay for airfare.

If you do look at Vegas again, look into the new Red Rocks resort. Not on the strip so extra peaceful and in a beautiful area. More to do in Vegas than the strip, definitely enough to keep you busy for a few days (and you can go down the strip and have fun there, too)!

Charleston/Savannah isn't on DH's list (it's on mine tho! We have an all-girls trip planned for Charleston next year :thumbsup2).
I know DC is good but it just isn't jumping out at me rfor some reason. Almost like I don't want to "learn" on my vacation. Oh that sounds terrible!
Thanks for the Red Rocks suggestion! I'll look into that and run it by DH.

How about a camping trip?

A camping trip is the GREATEST retreat for my DH and me.

Of course, if you don't have the equipment, it's expensive the first time, but if you plan on making it something you do yearly, it's an investment.

Oh we go camping alright! lol We love our Skyline Drive and camp/hike out there. That would put us back into our "comfort zone" instead of branching out.

How about a quick beach trip to Florida, like Miami, Key West, or St. Pete Beach? My BF and I were pricing a 3 night getaway to St. Pete Beach outside of Tampa & St. Petersburg for about $350 PP including airfare, hotel, and car rental in October. We also priced Key West for the same inclusions about $600-$800 PP.

And I would say Vegas but I like to gamble so it wouldn't be a cheap vacation for me!

We've always discused going to Key West too...but yeah, hurricane season and Key West don't mix in my book. I'd hate to book and then have the vacation fall through.

Travelzoo just sent me their list of weekly deals $79/$89 at Sheraton near the quarter. Stop at Pat O'Brien's for me. Also breakfast at the three sister's is awesome or the Bluebird cafe, and I am sure you know about Cafe du Monde. This makes me want to go to New Orleans, but I am on a diet. New Orleans is not a diet city.

$79 -- New Orleans Hotel by French Quarter, incl. Upgrade
http://www.travelzoo.com/top20/11409818-619035/
Source: Sheraton New Orleans

If the link doesn't work send me a PM with your email and I will forward what they sent to me.
Awesome! I need to check my spam email account as that's where travelzoo sends me emails :thumbsup2. And that would really surprise DH!

I second Kentucky. I've always wanted to visit Mammoth caves.

I'm not sure I would do New Orleans in late July or August. It's super hot and humid.

lol, my life is pretty much super hot and humid here on the coast....although this year is the summer that never was around here! Not too hot and low humidity :confused3.

And it's hurricane season as well.

Mammoth Caves is cool and reasonable.

But if you've never done DC, and you're that close...well I think I'd do DC.

You could fly into Vegas arriving late morning, take the 2.5 hour drive up to the beautiful ZION NATIONAL PARK for a night or two, then go back and spend a night in a luxury room in Vegas for the last night or two. I saw a $119 rate at Wynn or Encore advertized on the strip any Sun- Thurs

This would make it a little more of a "getaway" and not just a typical "few nights in Vegas". You'd get a nice drive in, the scenery, the outdoors, etc
Are there resorts at Zion? I'll have to look at that more. Thank you :)

How about someplace out of the country? My cousin is going to Punta Cana. It's supposed to be beautiful. She got an all inclusive deal through Hotels.com for 5 people, including hotel, airfare, food and alcohol for $3600 for 7 nights. I just checked travelocity and you can get there for three nights for about $1,200 for two people maybe a little more if you go longer.
Hmmm...if we need passports it's almost too late to get that taken care of for us but thanks! I had looked into that as well but time isn't on our side.

Don't get me wrong Kentucky is a BEAUTIFUL state. Problem is to get to Mammouth caves ya need a car. There is not an airport within 75 miles an once you do the cave tour there not much else in that immediate area to do.

Bowling Green between Nashville TN an Cave City where Mammouth caves is at does have the Corvette museum tho. Nashville would have the closest airport to the caves which Nashville is the home of the Grand Ole Opry an I'm sure there are other things to do there as well.

HMMMMM How about the Smokey Mountains? Gatlinburg, Pigeon forge an Dollywood, Cades cove, waterfalls, hiking lots to do in that area. Maybe rent your own private cabin with hot tub an game room prolly around a 100 a night. That you would need a car for but Gatlinburg you can get by without a car. the cabin more relaxing tho

You just gave me a great idea! Hershey PA! LOL I know that wasn't one of your ideas but we have always wanted to visit and we love amusement parks :thumbsup2 Thanks for helping get those brain juices flowing :goodvibes.

Been there too many times to count (grandparents from there)
Love this idea, thank you!
Niagra Falls?
Great idea but not on the top of our list.
Toronto?

This is what I was going to say. ;)

We stayed at the Embassy Suites Fallsview (CA side) with a beautiful view of Horseshoe Falls, Jacuzzi, so nice.
Southwest had $49 airfare from BWI to Buffalo and it's a short drive from there. It was a nice getaway. 2-3 nights would be plenty.

Well DH does love eating wings so Buffalo isn't a bad idea ;)

Also staying onsite at Universal is really nice too. All of their hotels are 4* on par with Disney deluxe and within walking distance to the parks. Your room key allows you to bypass the reg line, like an unlimited fast pass.:cloud9: We are so spoiled now.:goodvibes:lovestruc
We LOVE the Hard Rock Hotel. Hip, funky but still luxurious (marble floors in lobby, massive lagoon type pool, etc.)
There's only 2 parks (US/IOA) so 3 days is plenty too. They have AAA discounts.

DH and I are thinking of a trip in early November to Hilton Head Island. It won't be beach weather, but we've wanted to go for a long time. Looking forward to exploring the island by bikes and then checking out Savannah since we will be near there as well. Is that an option for you?

I don't know if someone has mentioned it, but what about New York or the Smoky Mtns? I know Cheapoair.com was having some good deals to new york. The Smoky Mtns are beautiful and good place to relax for a weekend.

DH is from NY (outside the city) and if we go we'd have to see family. We are mainly trying to go out on our own, kwim?
Seems one of the biggest issues we are running into is we have family all over the US. If we go to an area and the fam finds out we didn't vist....:rolleyes1:headache: it wouldn't be good.

Right now my list is as follows:
1. Vegas & surrounding areas (DH asked again last night if we are going)
2. New Orleans (I would do this more as a surprise to DH...maybe do a haunted tour and take in the city life).
3. Universal
4. Hershey PA

I wanted to thank everyone again for the help. I hate being stuck in a rut :wizard:.

Hershey is fun -- there are a few threads on budget hotels in Hershey if you do a search. We are headed there with our kids in August.

Whatever you chose, have fun!!

I second the Vegas/Zion trip. It's a beautiful area. Ok, I'm biased, I live half an hour from Zion. But they do have a lodge inside the park (we had Thanksgiving there last year :banana:). And there are several hotels just outside in the city of Springdale. If you can, I would definitely check it out. It's incredible.
Budget wise, Zion is a good deal since it's $25 for a week of access.
And they have different hikes for all skill levels. Just be prepared for the weather. It will still be pretty warm out there in early September. It takes us a bit to come down from our summer temps. Probably upper 80's to low 90's

Have you ever thought of staying on a houseboat? I may be the odd person out but that's my idea of a very relaxed mini vacation. Peace and quiet and just great together time.

I was going to suggest Myrtle Beach as well.... you could do a great resort for a week in September. Great time of year to be there. Good luck with whatever you do!!!!!

Just wanted to say that the New Orleans Sheraton is really nice. We stayed there a couple of years ago and got bumped to Club Level, which was awesome. We had a wonderful stay. The beds were so comfortable!

You can walk to the French Quarter easily and there's so much to do there.

Last week's Travelzoo had a special price on a French Quarter hotel, the Monteleone (sp?) and we've stayed there also, and it was very charming. Bed not quite as nice as the Sheraton though!

Thanks everyone! I took the plunge and grabbed great airfare and hotel at MGM for a Vegas stay. In an ironic twist of fate my parents are heading to Vegas during this same time and also staying at MGM. I know I wanted to get away from family but we will all do our own thing and I don't have to expalin DH and myself's alone time. We might hit up dinner together one night but that's it.
Airfare and hotel were less than $1000!!! Very lucky to find a great rate :thumbsup2. In fact, I could have gone even more budget but I wanted a jetted tub suite to soak in every night (or early morning :scared1: lol).

I'm bookmarking the thread so I can come back when DH and I get the itch again to get away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter