I need help finding a contact...(make-a-wish)

katiebsmom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone!

My family and I took a trip to WDW this spring for my DD's fifth b'day and we had a blast. When we came home, we found out that some friends of ours were planning a trip too a sweet couple (my DH works with the gentleman). I promptly bought the couple a passporter and wished them lots of fun and magic on their trip.

About two months later the couple visited her Dr. and found out that she had a reoccurance of a really really rare form of cancer that only 16 people in the world have ever had. She's been receiving very specialized treatments and is expected to pull through this time as well. She is the only survivor of this rare form of cancer to date.

Needless to say, they never made their trip to WDW. DH and I wanted to get together with some other friends and family members of the couple's and fully fund a trip to WDW for them (Lord knows they deserve it :)), however, we have no idea when they would want to go. We really wanted to get everything paid for and basically just let them choose when.

I know there must be a person at WDW that could help us make the arrangements for an extra special trip for this couple without knowing a date yet. If anyone could suggest a person that I could call or email I would really really appreciate it.

The couple's name is Shane and Laura and Laura has just finished her last treatment.

Thanks guys,
Amy

Hi katiebsmom! Welcome to the DIS!

I'm going to bump you over to our DISabilities board for more advise. They're a great group of people who are sure to be able to help. :)

katiebsmom said:
Hi everyone!

My family and I took a trip to WDW this spring for my DD's fifth b'day and we had a blast. When we came home, we found out that some friends of ours were planning a trip too a sweet couple (my DH works with the gentleman). I promptly bought the couple a passporter and wished them lots of fun and magic on their trip.

About two months later the couple visited her Dr. and found out that she had a reoccurance of a really really rare form of cancer that only 16 people in the world have ever had. She's been receiving very specialized treatments and is expected to pull through this time as well. She is the only survivor of this rare form of cancer to date.

Needless to say, they never made their trip to WDW. DH and I wanted to get together with some other friends and family members of the couple's and fully fund a trip to WDW for them (Lord knows they deserve it :)), however, we have no idea when they would want to go. We really wanted to get everything paid for and basically just let them choose when.

I know there must be a person at WDW that could help us make the arrangements for an extra special trip for this couple without knowing a date yet. If anyone could suggest a person that I could call or email I would really really appreciate it.

The couple's name is Shane and Laura and Laura has just finished her last treatment.

Thanks guys,
Amy

Welcome to the DISboards!
:grouphug: to your friend, Laura.
I did find a couple of Wish-granting organizations that grant wishes to adults.
The first one is the Fairy Godmother foundation. The website is
www.fairygodmother.org It is based out of Chicago.
The other one I found is the Dream Foundation. Their website is
www.dreamfoundation.com
The Fairy Godmother website does list a phone # to call if you have questions and/or requesting info. Maybe an employee at one of these foundations can answer your question on finding a CM at WDW to help with the arrangements you requested. Who knows, maybe your friend might qualify for a wish at one of these foundations, depending on what the qualifications are to have a wish granted.

Best wishes and prayers to Laura. She is truly a survivor.

Rosemarie :flower:

As you may have figured out by now, Make A Wish is a wish organization that only grants wishes to children (under 18).
Another alternative to the suggestions already made would be to contact some of the charitable organizations in your area (places like Lion's Club, Kiwanas, etc.). They sometimes do fund raising for individual people.

Thanks everyone for the information. Her friends and family may just end up supplying the trip since she is not terminal. The fact that she is not terminal is a Blessing indeed, so we will pull together to make her dream come true :).

Amy

The dreamfoundation is great!!!! But I have to warn you they only grant wishes if you are terminally ill and have little time left, I tried to do one for a friend who has AIDS and they told us to write when he is a bit more ill. Good luck and what a nice thing you are doing for your friend.
JenJen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter