I need opinions about what to tip.......

crazyme5kids

DIS Veteran
I am having a sofa, chair and ottoman delivered tomorrow. How much should I tip the delivery men? The delivery does not include taking the old couch out, but I am going to ask if they will. It is a very heavy sofa bed, so if they take that out how much more should I give them? I never know what is fair, and wind up over tipping.

Wow, I have never tipped for furniture delivery before. Isn't it their job to deliver the furniture to you? Especially if you paid extra to have furniture delivered and it didn't come for free.

If it isn't part of their job to take your old one I wouldn't ask them to do it.

I've never tipped delivery people either. Now, I might "ask" how much it might cost me to have the old couch removed and see what they say.
Reminds me of a couple months back when we put some cabinets in the trash. The garbage man actually came to the door and told me it was going to cost me an extra $20 to have them taken away. I told him, no, thanks, DH would take them apart and we'd put them out that way. I thought, what a snake, trying to make a quick $20 off of me. So, here I call DH and my friend and relay the story to them about how the garbage man is trying to rip me off. End of the day comes, and I see a garbage truck pull up in front of my house, the same garbage man gets out and throws the cabinets in his truck. Boy, did I feel like a schmuck! Good thing I wasn't angry enough to call the company and file a complaint about his actions.

We just had a couch and love seat delivered.
I had never tipped a delivery person before.
They did have a "gratuities appreciated" paper taped on the clip board! I wasn't prepared...and didn't tip them.

As to the hauling away....we asked when we bought, and were told that they didn't do it because they weren't licensed to.....take that for what it is worth.

Gosh, I've always tipped furniture delivery guys. No wonder the leave with a smile on their face! I don't want the old sofa carted away, I just need it taken out of the house. My husband won't be home until the end of Feb. , and there is just no way I can get it down the stairs (5 steps), it is such a heavy couch. I will make arrangements to have it carted away. I thought I would offer them $40 or $50 dollars to carry it outside for me. Is that enough, or too much?

I also tip most of the delivery people, if they stay long enough to accept one and if they do a good job. If they do a good job, usually about $5/person. If they do a *great* job (like our movers when we moved from the apartment), I tip them more.

For moving the couch out, I'd say ask them if they can and how much they would charge to move it. Anywhere from $20-$50 would be reasonable to me, I think. Really depends on where they have to move it. If it's hard to get out of a room or they have to go down stairs or whatever, I increase what I would pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter