I need some reassurance that I did the right thing

LeahA

DIS Veteran
I was booked for a week at WL, obtained a great rate, but, I still cancelled it and booked the Hilton DD, through Priceline. I really can't shake the feeling that I'm a complete idiot for doing this. I've never stayed onsite, but, love a good deal. I'm really starting to get bummed that I switched. I've done Priceline before, and I knew all the rules, etc... I just really wish I could've just lef things alone, and we could've stayed onsite for the first time. With the money we saved, we purchased our hopper tickets already at the Disney store.

I just want to feel a little better!

Leah

You know you did the right thing....
If you would have stayed on-site you would have spent your time worrying about all the money you could have saved....

It is ok to love a bargain and think of the park hoppers.....WORTH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

How could you pass up a deal like that? Priceline hotel + hopper passes for the price of WL? If you're like us, we are not in the room that much anyway.

You'll be in DD so it will be almost like you're on-site and the money you save will all be worth it. Awhile back, before my many Priceline trips, when the All-Star resorts had just opened, I made a reservation there and ended up canceling when we got a better rate at the Best Western (or something like that, I don't even remember what hotel it was). The difference in price paid for our park tickets and what I remember most is that we were at WDW, not where we stayed. Even if we had stayed on-site, I don't think we would remember the room as much as the trip.

Now that Priceline has come along, I cannot justify on-site prices, and we are able to make 1-2 trips to WDW (including park hoppers) a year for the same amount as we would pay for 1 on-site without park hoppers.

You did the right thing -- and I hear that the Hilton in DD is great! We're making a trip from Chicago in early May and we're staying at the Amerisuites near US. Nowhere near as fancy as the Hilton DD but it's WDW nonetheless and I can't wait!!!!!

Have a great trip.

Once you hop that tram from the parking lot, see the castle appear from the boat or monorail, then take that first step on Mainstreet, where you are staying makes absolutely no difference, except that little lump in your pocket from the extra money........that other lump in your throat has nothing to do with where you are sleeping...enjoy...Ted

Hey Leah,
We usually stay on site but life is about experimentation. We stayed offsite last year at a condo and loved it! This year we plan to try priceline like you did. If that does not work out the next year we will stay onsite. Do not look at this as a missed opportunity but as a chance to check out a new way of enjoying Disney. What we did last year was "hang out" at the resort hotels a lot. I have a two year old who just can not seem to pass up a pool so what kind of father would I be if I denied him the opportunity to sample the waters? Being that he is only two, I had to accompany him and to be on the safe side, my wife came in to help watch him also. To make a long story short, you can enjoy the resorts even if you do not stay there. You do not have to push the limit like we did but we did have some nice "resort time" while there. We tried to plan every free meal-(early breakfast and late dinner) at a different resort. Since the parks closed early in dec, we would go back to the condo, shower and head out to the resorts to explore! Give it a try!

Four Hopper tickets ... that's a nice amount of savings right there.

You don't spend that much time in your Resort room to make it worth that much extra money IMO. You can always stay on-site another time. The Hilton is right across from DD so you can't get much closer to "on-site".

ITA with the others that offsite has its' excellent advantages as well especially with all the money you're saving going towards other miscellaneous things (with not being in the room mostly), alot of cases more amenities, and with the extra room that will be available to your family during coming back from the parks at day's end to wind down is the greatest. The Hilton DD has gotten some of most exceptional reviews I have seen for properties in the area over the internet even compared to onsite. So, I am sure you are going to thoroughly enjoy being a guest there; have a nice time!

I am not clear what Zipitydooda was saying but you CANNOT use a resort pool unless you are a guest of that resort or a DVC owner. You can be asked to leave and some pools will ask for ID. This is equivelant to "stealing" and does not teach our children the right message. ;)

The Hilton is in a great location, and you are eligible for e-nights if there are any. Don't let the fact that it's not a Disney hotel get to you. Have a wonderful trip!

Thanks for all the great responses. I know I don't have to stay "onsite" to have an enjoyable vacation. In the previous years we've stayed at the Comfort Suites, Hawthorn Suites and Wyndham Palace, I guess I was just hoping for a "different" vacation this year. Sort of like the been there, done that, type of thing. It actually works out better for us to stay at the Hilton. My 4-1/2 y.o. ds loves DD, he loves the fountains, and the Lego area. I love the shops downthere, and we had the best margaritas one night down there! I think I get wrapped up in all the posts so much, that I really feel like I'm missing something.

I guess I'll just plan for next year!

Leah :)

We did both off site for 5 days then onsite. Let me tell you after our off site hotel which was fab!![HIFS w/Disney themed room]
We had a miserable time on site at All Stars,the carpets were soaking wet from being shampooed and Didn't dry for 4 days and started stinking. Before they would come do anything about it. They refused to move us to a different room. And there wasn't any themeing in the room other than a glaring star shaped light. we had to ask to get soap!!

We decided on site wasn't all it was cracked up to be!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter