I need someone to direct me, I have no idea where to start...

LovesTimone

Christmas Day 2017
First off - Thanks for any help you can give me to get started.

My DH's older brother has some special needs. He got scarlet fever as a child, and has some brain damage from it. He is 72, and lives alone. Physical he is in pretty good shape. He is 72 and starting slow down...He can attended to his personal needs, and can warm up food in the microwave and toaster oven, he never use's the stove top or the oven. He was a brick mason for years, and worked at Publix for several years before retiring 100%. He even has a side hustle, he has a riding lawn mower and mows the neighbor lawns for a few bucks.

The main issue are that he can not read, or write, he does understand basic math skills that deal with money's.

My Dh's middle brother is suppose to be the person looking after him, his care giver. He only lives like 10 minutes away in the same city as ... and well this is not happening. My DH took him to Lowe's not long ago, and realize his ID was expired by 2 years... He told my DH that the other brother kept putting off taking him, so I did. I don't mind helping him out at all.

We live well over a hour away. So here in lies the problem. As is stands right now, I try to get over there every other week to help him, there are times that this is just not possible. I am my parents care giver and they live over a hour away in the opposite direction.

Last week while we were on vacation, he got a ride to the grocery store, but could not get one back home. So he was at the grocery store from 9 am till 4:00 when someone finally gave him a ride... He worked at this store for years so he know everyone, but people come and go and he know less and less of them. Plus he needs someone to take him to pay bill, simple bill like the water or lights, he like's to pay in cash, and have them give him a receipt.

So here's my questions,

I am sure that there is some type of ride system in place for seniors with special needs to get around. I just have no idea where to start looking.

We would set up Uber for him, but he could not use the app. to get a car. Plus he has a flip phone, we tired to up grade him, he can not use a smart phone, it completely throws him offs.

As well another thought was getting him some sort of scooter to get around on, so that in a pinch he could use it to go to the convenience store on the corner to get something. A friend of ours said that medicare or his supplemental might pay for it? or because he is a special needs adult that there are services in place for them. Again I don't know where to begin to run this down...

Any help to get me started would be sooo much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

It sounds like he has an intellectual disability that stems from a childhood illness, so I’m surprised he hasn’t been connected with some services long before now. I’d suggest contacting the local Agency for Aging and Disabilities (or whatever it may be named in your area) to see what can be done. Good luck!

Look for the local city transit system. In my local city, we have something called Dial a Ride. In the city next door, It is through their regular transit system but they have specific vehicles (vans) set up for it.

You mentioned Publix so you're somewhere in the southeast. If you tell us where you're located we can probably provide some resources. Department of elder affairs in Florida is fantastic.

Dial-a-Ride is another good option.

OK, I did a little research. It looks like the OP is local to WDW per a post here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...able-relying-exclusively-on-uber-lyft.3845471
So, Orlando is in Orange County.

According to a handy internet search showing the counties of Florida, there are four surrounding counties to Orange - Seminole, Lake, Polk, and Osceola.

For Seminole County, it looks like they use Lynx Buses. So, here's a link for Access Lynx, which also appears to run in Osceola County too (so, it covers Seminole, Orange, and Osceola counties):
https://www.golynx.com/plan-trip/riding-lynx/access-lynx/
Quote from their site: "ACCESS LYNX is a shared ride door-to-door transportation service provided by MV Transportation under the supervision of LYNX, the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority. The ACCESS LYNX program provides service for eligible individuals who are not able to use the regular fixed route bus service because of a disability or other limitations."

It looks like there is a mail in application process to go through.

So, this covers three possible counties that your BIL lives in.

Lake County:
https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/depart...ision/lake_county_connection/eligibility.aspx
and/or

https://ridelakexpress.com/paratransit
Polk County:
https://ridecitrus.com/how-to-ride/disabled-services/
But now that I read your original post, where he needs someone to take him to pay bills, etc., you would likely be better off looking for a paid caregiver / companion to do this, rather than the local transit agency

I don't think the transit agencies will wait around in the bus, waiting for him to pay his bills in cash. They operate a door-to-door service, so pick up and drop off with anticipated time in between, but maybe those in that county are willing to wait.

OK, I did a little research. It looks like the OP is local to WDW per a post here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...able-relying-exclusively-on-uber-lyft.3845471
So, Orlando is in Orange County.

According to a handy internet search showing the counties of Florida, there are four surrounding counties to Orange - Seminole, Lake, Polk, and Osceola.

For Seminole County, it looks like they use Lynx Buses. So, here's a link for Access Lynx, which also appears to run in Osceola County too (so, it covers Seminole, Orange, and Osceola counties):
https://www.golynx.com/plan-trip/riding-lynx/access-lynx/
Quote from their site: "ACCESS LYNX is a shared ride door-to-door transportation service provided by MV Transportation under the supervision of LYNX, the Central Florida Regional Transportation Authority. The ACCESS LYNX program provides service for eligible individuals who are not able to use the regular fixed route bus service because of a disability or other limitations."

It looks like there is a mail in application process to go through.

So, this covers three possible counties that your BIL lives in.

Lake County:
https://www.lakecountyfl.gov/depart...ision/lake_county_connection/eligibility.aspx
and/or

https://ridelakexpress.com/paratransit
Polk County:
https://ridecitrus.com/how-to-ride/disabled-services/
But now that I read your original post, where he needs someone to take him to pay bills, etc., you would likely be better off looking for a paid caregiver / companion to do this, rather than the local transit agency

I don't think the transit agencies will wait around in the bus, waiting for him to pay his bills in cash. They operate a door-to-door service, so pick up and drop off with anticipated time in between, but maybe those in that county are willing to wait.

Thank you so much, I have been on line as well, there are some options that we have found, just not sure how we could work some of these out, that might work for him... :hug: :thanks:

He absolutely will not go to the doctor... so right now I am working on just getting him to agree to for just a check up, as well trying to get him to get a vaccine, which we thought that he had gotten them, my DH's other brother told us that he did... , then when I asked about the card, so that we could make a copy in case it was misplaced it... Which the brother I am talking about asked us to do this for him, so I have a folder of some things... It came out that he never got the vaccines ... so right now I have those 2 main missions. Then working on the ride situation along side of it ...

... He lives in Haines City and there is not public bus system to speak of... I had not come across the "ridecitrus" for Polk county so I will be checking into this for sure. I had a thought the other day, where my DMIL and DBIL went to church. I might see if they offer some type of ride share or someone in the congregation that might offer or do this on a volunteer type thing... I know that the church that I grew up in offered these service, mostly retired people just looking to help out. So that is another aspect that I am looking into.

With hiring someone, we worry that someone would try to take advantage of him. Which has happened in the past, when my DMIL was still living, and luckily she was there to sort it out.

What I have found out is that if we get him involved with some place like Elder services, social workers, home visits, and that there is alot of paper work, and financial, medical plus doctors recommendations. There are alot of questions that we have to find out, While the middle brother says that is the care giver, we are not sure of anything that he has told us.

There is a 20 year difference in my DH and the oldest brother we are talking about, as well they were not raised together... so my DH really hasn't had a relationship with him till the last 5 or 6 years. The middle brother is suppose to be his care giver... Yet this is not happening... So here we are...

If he's 72 he's eligible for Elder Services so they might have transportation services. You might have to help him schedule rides.

If he's 72 he's eligible for Elder Services so they might have transportation services. You might have to help him schedule rides.

I have been digging around trying to see what I can find out... there is alot of red tape, and lots of requirements for eligibility. Which we are trying to sort through, with him being a special needs adult it add's to the requirements. I spoke to a very nice lady at Elder services and basically she gave me the run down, which I will say was pretty much overwhelming. Plus she talked about different levels and level services based on things like level of cognition, overall safety of environment, over all health with includes personal care, housekeeping, meal preparation.

She suggested that we start with meals on wheels. So that's my plan for this week...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter