I need Southwest Rapid Rewards Help on Booking upcoming flights - Please help me connect the pieces of the puzzle!

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
Can travel/rewards (Southwest)/frugal guru’s help me sort my Southwest points the best way for our upcoming flight? I’ve decided today is the day to book but I keep getting myself mixed up and confused on the best way to book these with what I have to work with. To the point I’ve given myself a headache and about ready to tell my DH that we should just drive. Sigh – I need help :)

Here is the nitty gritty:

There are 3 of us (myself, DH, and DD). Our flight to Orlando is 9,772 points each. Our flight home is 13,037 points each. DH signed up for the Southwest Visa earlier this year for the companion pass deal; he has 40,168 points plus the companion pass which we currently have unassigned. On my own Rapid rewards account, I have 22,582 points.

The goal is to spend the least amount out of pocket. I’m assuming I probably need to make DD the companion for DH’s account since I have my own Rapid Rewards account? And in that case, his points need to purchase a ticket going both directions, right? Unfortunately my points are just shy of purchasing my ticket round trip, which means I have to pay for one leg completely out of pocket, is that correct?

Anybody up for a challenge and can help me, I would be greatly appreciative!

Can travel/rewards (Southwest)/frugal guru’s help me sort my Southwest points the best way for our upcoming flight? I’ve decided today is the day to book but I keep getting myself mixed up and confused on the best way to book these with what I have to work with. To the point I’ve given myself a headache and about ready to tell my DH that we should just drive. Sigh – I need help :)

Here is the nitty gritty:

There are 3 of us (myself, DH, and DD). Our flight to Orlando is 9,772 points each. Our flight home is 13,037 points each. DH signed up for the Southwest Visa earlier this year for the companion pass deal; he has 40,168 points plus the companion pass which we currently have unassigned. On my own Rapid rewards account, I have 22,582 points.

The goal is to spend the least amount out of pocket. I’m assuming I probably need to make DD the companion for DH’s account since I have my own Rapid Rewards account? And in that case, his points need to purchase a ticket going both directions, right? Unfortunately my points are just shy of purchasing my ticket round trip, which means I have to pay for one leg completely out of pocket, is that correct?

Anybody up for a challenge and can help me, I would be greatly appreciative!

You can do it a few ways, but if you don't want to spend any additional out of pocket I can quickly come up with one option. Since you can purchase one way flights, your DH could purchase his round trip ticket with points and your DDs round trip ticket as CP. He can also purchase one leg of your flight with his points and you can purchase the other leg of your flight with your points (you'll have two confirmation numbers). Anyone can use their own points to purchase tickets for other people. This way you will have no out of pocket.

And to add, just because you have a rapid rewards account, does not mean you can't be listed as the CP. However in this case, because DD is a minor, it's best to have her listed as CP anyway.

You can do it a few ways, but if you don't want to spend any additional out of pocket I can quickly come up with one option. Since you can purchase one way flights, your DH could purchase his round trip ticket with points and your DDs round trip ticket as CP. He can also purchase one leg of your flight with his points and you can purchase the other leg of your flight with your points (you'll have two confirmation numbers). Anyone can use their own points to purchase tickets for other people. This way you will have no out of pocket.
This!! Then you will only have to pay for the @$6 taxes each way.

Thank you all so much!! I usually thrive on figuring stuff out like this but because I stared at it so long, I just got frustrated. I'm excited to get them booked and done!

And yes to the person that reminded me of taxes! We usually add early bird check in as well, but least our costs are still minimal using points.

Thanks again!

Why not use your husband points to book your ticket? You can use point to book anyone a ticket so you can use his to buy yours. There are no fee's to book a ticket for someone else you just have to pay the government fee's

Also, you do not need to pay a complete leg of the trip out of pocket. SW will sell you points just to make up the difference. I think points are actually being sold at a discounted rate right now.

So I will add another layer in if you haven't purchased already (spent two years in SWA Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards so my brain thinks differently)- If your husband has the CP through 2020 then this won't be as big of a deal. But if you are trying to re-qualify for future travel do any hard cash flight purchases in his name ONLY, then use points for your flights. He will earn the RR points which a Companion Qualifying points. Also in the event you have to cancel the trip, it sounds like he is most likely to travel again and not have an arbitrary credit tied up for a child that won't have a huge need. Your points get refunded if you cancel.

I agree with the post above to make your daughter the companion as she is less likely to earn enough points to matter, and then your not trying to juggle three accounts with points. You can also change the companion three times in a year!

Honestly, Early-Bird is not entirely needed if your daughter is young. I often board between A and B and I can't think of a time I have not seen seats together (the few that were super full had a high number of through passengers and it was usually flights like Dallas to Houston). Still try and check in close to 24 hours ahead, only because in the rare event you were on an oversold flight time of check-in is how we determine who doesn't go.

If you have not purchased yet, I would purchase one way tickets. Use DH’s points to purchase tickets for all 3 of you for the flight home, you’d pay the ~ $6 each ticket. If points/seat remains the same today, his points can cover all of you. Then I would use your points to buy one ticket to MCO and then have your husband use his companion option for the remaining two tickets, cash, to Orlando.

I think you can also transfer points to each other if you are short on the points you need to book the flight on either account.

I didn’t realize there was a fee for transferring points. I knew it could be done but have never actually done it. Good to know. Thanks for pointing that out.

Thank you all for your help - I got the tickets booked. Now I have another question for you experienced travelers!

Our prices have dropped since we booked. I have adjusted my fare and got my points back, but my husbands flight has the companion pass attached and from what I can tell I can't adjust his without first canceling the companion pass? Anyone ever cancelled the companion pass, adjusted the flight points, and then added their companion pass back? Does that work out okay? I was just scared to truly cancel the companion (daughter)'s ticket.

Thank you all for your help - I got the tickets booked. Now I have another question for you experienced travelers!

Our prices have dropped since we booked. I have adjusted my fare and got my points back, but my husbands flight has the companion pass attached and from what I can tell I can't adjust his without first canceling the companion pass? Anyone ever cancelled the companion pass, adjusted the flight points, and then added their companion pass back? Does that work out okay? I was just scared to truly cancel the companion (daughter)'s ticket.

Re-adding the companion pass shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you are doing it at least a couple of days in advance (and the flight isn't full).

Just reading through the thread, I would recommend setting up a RR account for your daughter. She might as well start earning points, assuming you plan to fly Southwest on occasion. You'll just need an email address for her. I set up accounts for my kids as soon as they turned 2, and although we don't fly much, the points do add up!

Re-adding the companion pass shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as you are doing it at least a couple of days in advance (and the flight isn't full).

Just reading through the thread, I would recommend setting up a RR account for your daughter. She might as well start earning points, assuming you plan to fly Southwest on occasion. You'll just need an email address for her. I set up accounts for my kids as soon as they turned 2, and although we don't fly much, the points do add up!
Points expire after 24 months with no qualifying activity.

I would have put the CP on whoever would travel most with him.

You can buy others tickets with your points so whoever didn't get the CP could have travel purchased from whatever point bucket was needed yours or his.

Too late now for you but in case others see this.

Points expire after 24 months with no qualifying activity.
That's a good point - as long as you fly once a year (or really, every other year) earning points (and not strictly on a companion pass), it's worth it.
Qulifying activities include earning RR points from the SW shopping portal, no need to fly to keep the points active! My daughter is flush with points and has never earned any via flying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter