I need to brag where someone appreciates it...

danda22

Earning My Ears
I am a newbie planning a first trip for the first week of June. I have been so inspired by all the tips. SO tonight I thought we would take all the leftover change we have laying around and cash it in. It's been piling up but we never do anything with it (I usually pay exact change). I first dumped all the change out onto the floor and let the kids pick out all the quarters.... $49.25! found a coinstar machine and took the rest in for another $77.75 for a total of $127!! :worship: (yes, I know we could have gotten a gift card and saved the $8 but there wasn't any that we would use and we needed the gratification). With that said, We officially have a FOUND MONEY VACATION FUND started now we can all contribute to. As for me, well... I will stop paying with exact change and put the coins in a jar and keep track of our "found money". Love that idea! (p.s. I was so excited on the way home that I brought the $2.70 in change in my car inside and put it in the piggy bank jar... it keeps track of how much money is in the jar..how nifty is that!). :thumbsup2

Thats awesome! Every little bit counts and adds up. On our trip 6 years ago this is what we did for a year and ended up with almost $800! Good luck and happy planning! :thumbsup2

Well done!

A good friend of mine did this when she got engaged. They both threw all their change in a water jug every day. They budgeted and saved and paid cash for the wedding and the honeymoon, and the money in the jar (wound up being over $1k) was their "blow it!" money for the trip.

Have a great time planning!

A little advice, don't save the pennies. It's really depressing when you go in with 20 pounds or so of pennies and get $10 :rotfl: We have a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs and fill them with change for our Disney trips. We use to have one for pennies, but when we took it in (it was about 3/4 full) we got $17 bucks. Definitely a let down.

Mel522 said:
A little advice, don't save the pennies. It's really depressing when you go in with 20 pounds or so of pennies and get $10 :rotfl: We have a couple of those 5 gallon water jugs and fill them with change for our Disney trips. We use to have one for pennies, but when we took it in (it was about 3/4 full) we got $17 bucks. Definitely a let down.

Hey, don't knock it, that's a quick service meal for DH and I.

I wish I could keep DH out of our change jar...sigh

Awesome!!!

We always save our spare change for our vacation food fund. :) It really adds up throughout the year...AND, when we get free dining at Disney we get to use the money on adult beverages instead. :cool1: Now THAT is a vacation!

So what do you do with your pennies then? I don't throw money away, be it $10 or $0.01. It adds up! :confused3

I take my change into my bank and they use a coin-counter at no charge. I can deposit it or cash out all for NO FEE.

Your bank may have one too. Actually, I'm sure they have a machine. It just may be in the back. I would bet it's a free service for their customers.

I was more goofing around with my comment, hence this guy :rotfl:

Hey, don't knock it, that's a quick service meal for DH and I.

I wish I could keep DH out of our change jar...sigh

So what do you do with your pennies then? I don't throw money away, be it $10 or $0.01. It adds up! :confused3

I actually keep a couple pennies in my pocket so if the total is *.51 or *.22 or something I can pay with a couple pennies so I get dimes, nickels, or quarters back. I save all of those. I use to do one jar "silver" and one jar pennies until my letdown with the full jar not being all that much. Now I have one jar for quarters and one jar for nickels/dimes. The jars are our souvenir money for trips.

Mel522 said:
I was more goofing around with my comment, hence this guy :rotfl:

I actually keep a couple pennies in my pocket so if the total is *.51 or *.22 or something I can pay with a couple pennies so I get dimes, nickels, or quarters back. I save all of those. I use to do one jar "silver" and one jar pennies until my letdown with the full jar not being all that much. Now I have one jar for quarters and one jar for nickels/dimes. The jars are our souvenir money for trips.

Unfortunately, I can't see that guy on my iPad app. I was separating them for awhile, now I don't bother. I probably only have pennies left, since DH won't leave the jar (actually an oversized plastic Coke Bottle) alone.

My hubby is constantly taking change too! we do have a penny only jar but I'm not ocd about it. I keep a small jar on the washer for any pocket change too. I was just stoked that it came to that amount. The kids have been very eager and it really helps to "see" the progress for them. It was a lot of fun to cash in. Our bank does not do the change thing anymore so this was a nice alternative to at least get caught up with it. thanks for the support :cool1:

Well done OP.

We have been doing much the same thing as a bonus to our holiday funds.

The last few years, as a family we save spare 1p, 2p, 5p (UK Money) in a coin jar and when we are ready to change our cash, we add the coin jar to our collected spending money and it helps "boost" the exchange rate a bit.

Even if it is just a QS meal, it is one less we have to find the cash for.

You brag all you like. Times are hard for all of us. Its the little things that make life better. Positive stories like yours are what we need.

Unfortunately, I can't see that guy on my iPad app. I was separating them for awhile, now I don't bother. I probably only have pennies left, since DH won't leave the jar (actually an oversized plastic Coke Bottle) alone.

I didn't know the smilies didn't show up on the app. I guess you really do learn something new everyday. I'll have to be more clear with what I write and not rely on the smilies.

Mel522 said:
I didn't know the smilies didn't show up on the app. I guess you really do learn something new everyday. I'll have to be more clear with what I write and not rely on the smilies.

They don't for me.

OP good for you!
I've got a change jar too. In addition to my spare change I put all the FOUND money - on average I find $.05-.10 on the street every day. It's crazy how much money people throw out. The other day I found $.75! All it costs me is to stop and pick it up. :)

WTG OP! I am doing the same thing for every trip. I have a coin sorter and I buy a bag of coin rolls at the Dollar Store. So far I have $36. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter