I purchased resale and have some questions :)

thebigman65

DIS Veteran
WE have been DVC members since 2009. I have 2 contracts we purchased directly and this past April we closed on a resale. All 3 contracts are at the same home resort. My questions are as follows:

- During the paperwork part of the sale we provided our existing membership number. Our assumption was that the new resale contract would be added to our existing membership. Well that doesn't seem to be the case on the DVC site now. We now have 2 different membership numbers. Is that correct?

- If the above is correct, the issue then become booking. When you go online to book, the first thing you have to do is choose a membership number. That is problematic. Its fine if all I need are the points from one contract to another, but what if I need the point from all 3 contracts to book at 11 months? How do I do that? Do I have to call instead?

It really kind of irks me that the contract is not added to my existing membership. If I just misunderstood, then I guess I will have to live with it, but would be so much easier if it was all in one. How does everyone deal with that.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Are they the same UY? If not then you will always have two different memberships as a membership is actually defined by UY not really home resort. Home resort is more about when points can be combined (11 months for same home resort and 7 months if different home reosrts).

You can transfer points from one membership to the other. There are reports that while there is a 1 transfer in or out limit to DVC it has been reported that DVC is lax on the rules when transferring to one membership to another you might own. That is how you can get around needing two reservations that would be required if you have the rooms booked under different memberships. But no matter which way you go about it MS will need to be involved.

Also if you have the same UY then it should have been added to the other membership, if and only if, the deeds were titled exactly the same. If this is the case I would look to see on which end the error is. It could have been you requested it to be titled differently or the closing company made a mistake.

Agree with the above - it seems like maybe it’s a different UY or titled differently (different names on the deed)?

If it’s titled differently you can change that, but you can’t change UY.

With different UY/membership numbers, you’d either have to transfer the points into one account to use them all together (once a year I believe) or reserve different nights with the different memberships and then link the reservations. I don’t have personal experience with this though. Also, once you transfer I don’t know if you’d be able to see all the points online or if you have to call MS for them?

The most recent DVC Show podcast is actually about this very UY issue! Maybe Pete & the gang can offer some insight.

The resale does have a different use year. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I guess I will have to get used to transferring if need be!

Thanks to all for your help!

Once you transfer points, you can't see them online (at least you couldn't as of last year) and you had to involve MS in all aspects of making and changing reservations regarding the transferred points. They have been very helpful every time I had to do it.

The resale does have a different use year. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. I guess I will have to get used to transferring if need be!

Thanks to all for your help!

I would avoid transferring points and use the memberships separately as MS can make a real mess with transferred points.

Once you transfer points, you can't see them online (at least you couldn't as of last year) and you had to involve MS in all aspects of making and changing reservations regarding the transferred points.
They only time transferred points might appear online is if they have the same resort and UY as one of your existing contracts.

If you add on a different Use Year or if you Title the property differently than your existing DVC Membership, Disney will give you a new Membership Number. If you are adding on and you want to keep everything under the same Membership #, you will need to purchase the same Use Year and title the package exactly the same as your existing packages.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter