I Remember….

@nolypops83 exactly, it was all a lie and a facade. I know its a hard and uncomfortable thing to do, to take off the rose tinted glasses and see the reality. Its exactly whats happening here in Ireland with SA by The Catholic Church. There are now many ongoing court cases and many convictions of members of the Catholic Church for SA of children in Ireland. Many of convicted were popular, well known and respected members of their parish's and towns, who like PW created a public false narrative of a happy , friendly and loving community, while in private were doing illegal and horrific SA.

In Ireland there are still many many people when they hear of another conviction of a priest say, oh but when he was in our parish he did so much good and have great memories of events and just dont want to know about the court cases now. Thats what happening here.

@nolypops83 exactly, it was all a lie and a facade. I know its a hard and uncomfortable thing to do, to take off the rose tinted glasses and see the reality. Its exactly whats happening here in Ireland with SA by The Catholic Church. There are now many ongoing court cases and many convictions of members of the Catholic Church for SA of children in Ireland. Many of convicted were popular, well known and respected members of their parish's and towns, who like PW created a public false narrative of a happy , friendly and loving community, while in private were doing illegal and horrific SA.

In Ireland there are still many many people when they hear of another conviction of a priest say, oh but when he was in our parish he did so much good and have great memories of events and just dont want to know about the court cases now. Thats what happening here.

My Dad is Irish and we were raised in a staunch Catholic family but I'm now agnostic so I can relate.

It gives me the ick to know the pain and suffering that was being hidden by the smiles on camera. It just feels wrong to me, to have a nostalgia for the times when things like SA was going on and PW was hiding his true self behind the flamboyant and over the top persona.

Im glad the world has changed and things can be spoken about. Im glad its not 40 years ago when SA was not allowed to be spoken about.

Dustin said he wants the conversations to continue.
Then by all means go and continue it. This is not what this post was about. It was about what I remember and enjoyed when I started listening to it in 2003 when it was audio and got me through tough times. The rest of it is none of business. Maybe it’s yours and u are personally involved somehow I have no idea. But it’s not mine I wasn’t there . Just stating what I remember and appreciate what the Dis has done for me and how i support any new things to come. How you choose to deal with things and react or feel is entirely up to you. I am not going to tell anyone especially someone on an internet site how they should or should not feel or handle things. That’s your business. Not mine. Like I mentioned in my post. They are my thoughts . I’m am not looking for approval if I am thinking or feeling the way someone else wants me too. Goodness . 40 years ago it would have been spoken about in a different manner not posted on a website without people around the world giving advice on a situation they are not part of or how things should be or how they should be handled and hateful bashing behind keyboards by strangers . Lol. It’s ridiculous. With that being said since you know what people are hiding or not hiding and u seem to be very personally involved with the situation and know so much perhaps it actually is your business. If that’s the case then if carrying on the conversation that you actually are connected to helps you then by all means that’s ur choice . This is not what my post was about. Enjoy ur day

We have multiple first hand accounts of Pete behaving appallingly to his staff. Heck, we even saw glimpses of it on camera. He created a false narrative that the DIS/DUT/Disboards was just one big happy family. It wasn't then and it isn't now. I'm sorry that your memories have been tainted but we have to face up to the reality that it was all a lie, created by a narcissist and an abuser. The only thing I wish for Pete is that he is now reflecting on his behaviour and making the necessary changes in his life to ensure it never happens again but I very much doubt it. This situation is entirely of his own making, he has hurt multiple people along the way, and he deserves to be facing jail time for his assaults on Dustin and Sean. And yes, people were just as cold 40 years ago as they are today, I think you need to take off those rose-tinted glasses. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but it doesn't do anyone any good to pretend otherwise.
Again this is not what my post is about. It was my thoughts about listening to the Dis 20 years ago. That’s it. I’m not going to waste my time listening to people I have never in my life tell me how to think and what to do. That is absolutely ridiculous and obsurd. You seem very personally involved to know all the details like u were there as well. 40 years ago people weren’t bashing people online and telling complete strangers how to think . How you choose to deal with things is up to you. None of my business. I have a real life to live . Enjoy ur day

Again this is not what my post is about. It was my thoughts about listening to the Dis 20 years ago. That’s it. I’m not going to waste my time listening to people I have never in my life tell me how to think and what to do. That is absolutely ridiculous and obsurd. You seem very personally involved to know all the details like u were there as well. 40 years ago people weren’t bashing people online and telling complete strangers how to think . How you choose to deal with things is up to you. None of my business. I have a real life to live . Enjoy ur day

If you don't want to invite discussion then perhaps don't post on a public forum.

If you don't want to invite discussion then perhaps don't post on a public forum.
My official response:

My original post was about how much I enjoyed and appreciated all that the DIS has done for me over the last 20 years. It was my thoughts that I figured other long time listeners could relate to, back from the beginning when it was audio and through the years. I am sorry if there was not enough drama in my post that people felt the need to bring it in here too. Just was wanting to offer encouragement to the changes the team brings forth and to thank them for always being there for me when things weren’t always great. Everything else is none of my business. ( Pretty sure it ain’t yours either) With that being said … I am happy to inform you that there are other drama filled posts on here that may be more to your liking. Thank you

Enjoy your Day.

40 years ago people weren’t bashing people online and telling complete strangers how to think .
40 years ago the likelihood that a male being SA by a male being acknowledged in any way was fairly low, if they even came forward ever in the first place.

ETA: I too have been here almost 20 years now. I loved the podcast going to video with Dustin. While I appreciate the connection I've found in these forums at various times, the knowledge now of what was going on behind the scenes really colors my memories of those video podcasts and the dismeet I attended

It sounds like you have many fond memories from the podcast, vacations and the community here. That is wonderful. I have been on the Dis for a really long time, too. It has brought me so much entertainment over the years and I have a lot of appreciation for it.

When I care about something, then I care about making it better as well. I don't want to bury my head in the sand, cling to positivity or just say it is time to move on. I want this place to thrive, and that means there might need to be some changes made. That doesn't make me negative, or a hater or that none of this is my business. I keep thinking of the movie Inside out. There is room for all the emotions and all the core memories. The joyful ones and the sad ones.

I am cautiously hopeful. And that is okay.

I have very fond memorys of the original audio podcast days. I hope they clear out all the trash and keep moving forward to a new future. The DIS brand is bigger than any one man.
It sure is. It’s a team of wonderful people that have brought alot of happiness to many of us over the years. They are going to do wonderfully ! Looking forward to listening to them again. !

My dude, perhaps if you just wanted to share your positive memories of the podcast you could have just said that instead of trying to imply that people who are upset about this are somehow in the wrong?

Just a thought :)

It sounds like you have many fond memories from the podcast, vacations and the community here. That is wonderful. I have been on the Dis for a really long time, too. It has brought me so much entertainment over the years and I have a lot of appreciation for it.

When I care about something, then I care about making it better as well. I don't want to bury my head in the sand, cling to positivity or just say it is time to move on. I want this place to thrive, and that means there might need to be some changes made. That doesn't make me negative, or a hater or that none of this is my business. I keep thinking of the movie Inside out. There is room for all the emotions and all the core memories. The joyful ones and the sad ones.

I am cautiously hopeful. And that is okay.
Hopes are being dashed with every waking hour though.

No statement at the live show which instead decided to announce a podcast cruise

John and Kevin's statement makes them out to be the victims

WMKathy still is in her position of being able to censor after trying to cover up anti-Semitic comments.

Corey posted about how he's advised that moderation should be light/infrequent to allow discussion and for the incidents to be wrestled with morally and then that post is deleted within twelve hours.

Then by all means go and continue it. This is not what this post was about. It was about what I remember and enjoyed when I started listening to it in 2003 when it was audio and got me through tough times. The rest of it is none of business. Maybe it’s yours and u are personally involved somehow I have no idea. But it’s not mine I wasn’t there . Just stating what I remember and appreciate what the Dis has done for me and how i support any new things to come. How you choose to deal with things and react or feel is entirely up to you. I am not going to tell anyone especially someone on an internet site how they should or should not feel or handle things. That’s your business. Not mine. Like I mentioned in my post. They are my thoughts . I’m am not looking for approval if I am thinking or feeling the way someone else wants me too. Goodness . 40 years ago it would have been spoken about in a different manner not posted on a website without people around the world giving advice on a situation they are not part of or how things should be or how they should be handled and hateful bashing behind keyboards by strangers . Lol. It’s ridiculous. With that being said since you know what people are hiding or not hiding and u seem to be very personally involved with the situation and know so much perhaps it actually is your business. If that’s the case then if carrying on the conversation that you actually are connected to helps you then by all means that’s ur choice . This is not what my post was about. Enjoy ur day
I don't know what is inducing this fantasy you are living, but maybe you should bottle it.

40 years ago nobody cared what anyone did to anyone else. People were abused by people in power, came forward to tell their story, and if they were lucky there were just ignored. If they were unlucky, they were ostracized. THAT'S what you are longing for?

But beyond all of that, this whole thing should be yet another reminder that you are not building relationships with people just because you listen to their podcast or follow their YouTube channel. Just like higher profile celebrities, they are showing you what they want to show you. If you find them entertaining, great. But if that is what you are relying on for "personal" relationships, you are destined to be let down again and again.

To the OP, you are entitled to your opinion and you should be able to share it but unfortunately, if you share an opinion different from that of the majority then you’ll find that you end up spending a lot of time apologizing for it or defending it. If you choose to do neither of those then you’ll be criticized for sharing it in the first place.

I am beginning to think of the people on the podcast as characters, just like watching a tv show. I would love it if everyone was exactly as they present themselves on the show. They’re not. I am starting to think that it’s a waste of my time to watch most vloggers on YouTube. I don’t want to try to figure out who is genuine and who is fake.

Like you mentioned, the show got me through some tough times. When it was cold here for months on end it always brightened my day to hear about the latest cruise, trip to Aulani, or meal in the park. It is so sad that all of this has happened. I hope for healing for anyone involved in this situation. There is so much trauma, heartbreak, and loss for those directly involved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter