• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I remember when,

Born 2 Fish

I'D RATHER BE FISHING.
When WDW opened, my first time to the Magic Kingdom, I was a smoker. The Magic Kingdom had a Tobacco Shop, you could buy all kinda baccy from all over the world.
You could puff on your cigarette as you walk around the park but smoking was prohibited in attractions and their waiting queues. You could put out your cigarette in the ashtrays located at almost every attraction entrance.

I also remember when the Country Bear Jamboree and the Carousel of Progress were the two busiest attractions at the Magic Kindom. (C,of P still one'a my altime favorites)

Got a old WDW memory you'd like to share, a ride, a thing, attraction, parade, anything ?

I remember when you ate at the Garden Grill, they would give everyone a straw hat like the one farmer Mickey would wear.

Does anyone remember Michael Iceberg and his Amazing Iceberg Machine ??

He was a keyboard and synthesizer performer , he played on the stage that rises outta the floor at Cosmic Rays round 1974'ish , Frigg'n AWESOME he was !!

I do. And I saw KC and the Sunshine Band there also.

And if your employer or C.U. belonged to the "MAGIC KINGDOM CLUB" you could get all "E" tickets at certain times of the year.

I think we might still have one of those Magic Kingdom Club small binders around here somewhere. It had a semi-transparent plastic cover, about 5" x 7" with a 3/4 inch binder holding membership information in it. We kept way too much Disney "junk" over the years. :thumbsup2

O.K. My first time at WDW was 1985 so I know I have missed a lot but I do remember when there were "hidden" lounges in the parks for annual pass holders. I was able to visit one in Epcot. It was great to feel special even if there was not really anything special there. I think we got a coke and maybe a cookie?

Sometimes I see a question on the boards asking about the lounges.

I remember PF Flyers as a kid,
They could could make you "run faster and jump higher" . I loved those shoes !!

My first trip to Disney World was in 1974! It was a band trip to the Orange Bowl on new years eve of that year. On the way down,we stopped at MK and marched in the parade there. We then spent the rest of the day at MK. I don't remember any of the rides I rode, I was a chicken back then and didn't ride a lot. I mainly remember the flowers and orange trees, but coming from Missouri in December... My strongest memory is sitting on the bus next to a boy who kept talking about a ride he had ridden. He stode in line a really long time, but it was sooo cool! It was an indoor roller coaster, all dark, and you could see stars! He talked about this ride for hours. It was years later, with my husband, that I realized that boy was talking about Space Mountain. I've given up my fears, (somewhat) and SM is now one of my favorite rides. I just looked up on Wikipedia, and SM opened Jan 15, 1975. We were there in late Dec 74, so I figure my friend got to go on an advanced opening.

I remember camping at the Fort and we could barely see the people on either side of us! Lots of foliage back then.

I also remember pool hopping to the Contemporary and getting a sip of my mom's orange daquiri....still my favorite drink!!

Yea! I remember the sky lift... When did it go away?

j

Nov 10 1999 is what I found.

wdwsept08006-5.jpg

The date is incorrect.
Christiana025.jpg

the old blue strollers that you used to rent at the parks... and I remember how loud they were when you would cross over the Adventure land bridge

the smell of oranges on Horizons

jumping off the rocks at River Country- and how I was scared of the drop slides!

also... didn't there used to be a penny arcade on main street?

Going to Disney was so much fun as a kid... and just as much fun as an adult! :goodvibes

the old blue strollers that you used to rent at the parks... and I remember how loud they were when you would cross over the Adventure land bridge

the smell of oranges on Horizons

jumping off the rocks at River Country- and how I was scared of the drop slides!

also... didn't there used to be a penny arcade on main street?

Going to Disney was so much fun as a kid... and just as much fun as an adult! :goodvibes

I LOVED the orange smeel at Horizons ! Now we have to do Soar'n (at Epcot) to smell the oranges.

I've spent thousands of pennies at that arcade.

Great memories !!

AH, the drop-off slides! So scary - especially when you didn't quite understand the term "drop-off", like me! It didn't help that my older brothers told me they were easy slides.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter