I renewed my Inspire pass today...but bank rejected payment

DizMe

Here we gooooo...
My bank (Chase) declined the full-amount payment for my pass. I got a text from Chase that asked me to reply Yes or No that I'd authorized it. I replied Yes and got another text saying to be sure the merchant hadn't reprocessed the payment before trying again. So I called the MK phone number and after about half an hour while various CMs tried to determine whether or not my pass was renewed, they finally just told me to wait until tomorrow and see if had gone through. I had gotten a confirmation email but the CMs couldn't tell yet whether or not the payment went through. As of now I can't make Dec park reservations and it still shows my expiration date as Nov 14, 2023. Has this happened to anyone else? I've never encountered this issue before.

Yeah I've had this problem before, especially with Chase. It's been years though since I had the issue with APs. It's a big purchase thing, fraud protection stuff kicking in. I do believe the way it's supposed to work is that, yes, indeed the charge was rejected. Then you tell Chase that, yes, that's you, and you are trying to make that charge. Then you re-submit the charge and it goes through. Whether or not that's the way things will actually proceed for you, I obviously can't say and wouldn't want to advise you to do something that will generate multiple charges and create a bigger headache for you. A couple things you can do though. Have you gone online and checked your Chase account to see if it shows a payment pending? Or you can get to the heart of the matter and call Chase customer service. They should have more insight than Disney does on what is going on with their credit card. Even the payment pending thing isn't totally reliable if there's a delay on Disney's end in posting for some reason.

Call Chase, as the previous poster suggested. They will be able to see if there is a duplicate charge and you can also confirm that you agree to the charge when it is resubmitted.

Yeah I've had this problem before, especially with Chase. It's been years though since I had the issue with APs. It's a big purchase thing, fraud protection stuff kicking in.
I had a similar problem with Citibank earlier this year. Tried to buy a new iMac from Apple, got a browser window pop-up from Citibank, clicked to authorize the transaction, then a few minutes later got an email that the charge had not been authorized. I said, "Screw it" and used a different credit card to buy the computer.

I appreciate banks implementing rigorous anti-fraud measures, but what's the use of asking for my authorization if they aren't going to honor it?

Thanks, everyone! I haven't had a chance to call Chase yet. I guess the good news is I'm pretty well protected if someone were to get my card number and want to renew my MK :laughing:

Yes, and it does show a pending payment. Does that mean it will, at some point, be authorized?
It means maybe it will be authorized to post. The can pend for a day or up to a week, until it posts you won't know the reality of it. I too would call Chase and see if they can tell you more.

Yes, and it does show a pending payment. Does that mean it will, at some point, be authorized?

Not necessarily unfortunately. But since it's there, I wouldn't just go ahead and try to charge again without checking with Chase directly or seeing the pending payment drop off. Since pending payments can take a week or so to drop off sometimes, I would just call Chase.

Not necessarily. It shows a charge was entered by a vendor, but if it was not approved or didn't go through, it will probably fall off. Definitely call, they will be able to give you answers better than us! Good luck!

Thanks, guys! I called Chase and was told it was authorized and will be paid. I didn't think to ask how long that might take and then I read your responses. Well, we'll see what it looks like tomorrow, I guess.

The fine print under the pending charge is that it typically takes 1-3 business days. Ugh.

The fine print under the pending charge is that it typically takes 1-3 business days. Ugh.
It's usually about a day, maybe 2, when this happens to us. I don't remember it taking more than 2 days, unless there was a holiday involved. Good luck!

It's usually about a day, maybe 2, when this happens to us. I don't remember it taking more than 2 days, unless there was a holiday involved. Good luck!
Thank you! I got an email from Chase about it and apparently, I was the one who set a limit of $500 before it alerts me about a "potentially fraudulent transaction."

So...thanks, me. Way to go. :laughing:

They had major IT issues in the last few days. Sunday a friend had to bail me out and get me a gift card because neither of my 3 cards worked - was told they were habing issues with European cards.

So this morning the pending charge was on my account. 2 hours later, it disappeared. I called Chase to see what that meant and was told there was no record of any transaction, pending transaction, or anything at all to do with the charge. In their system, there was no record of a Disney payment/charge at all.

But my Disney account is now showing my pass as expiring Nov 13, 2024, so does that mean it did go through and just isn't showing up on my Chase account yet? This is kind of bizarre. I didn't even notice the MK expiration date was for next year until after I got off the phone with Chase. I guess I'll see if I can make park reservations, lol.

Editing to add: apparently, it went through though there is no record of it on my Chase account. I was able to make my Dec park reservations, though.

Last edited:
Chase did the same thing to us (our Costco card) last year - twice. I was trying to charge something that I might lose if I did not do it right away (I forget what it was but it was related to a WDW/Universal trip) and Chase declined it but did not tell the vendor why they did. I had to use another card (lol I used my other Chase card which I have never had any trouble with) to complete the transaction. Luckily I was doing this on the phone so I could correct it.

(We had no limit on our card to trigger this and I had made a number of related charges so if anyone with brains had looked at the charge rather than some badly designed computer program the charge would have made perfect sense.)

I spoke to them on the phone later and told them the charge had been legit and they had NO BUSINESS denying it but that I had used another card so they MUST NOT put that charge through, which is what they wanted to do.

I asked them if I could have called them in advance before making the charge to alert them this was coming and it was legit and they said NO, I couldn't - yet they were going to take my word for it on the phone that the charge was legit AFTER THE FACT when it was TOO LATE.

STUPID!!!

I now NEVER use that card on anything I do online because they can't be trusted. I would NOT recommend Chase.

And another charge that did get resubmitted disappeared for at least 3 days although the vendor was able to tell us it had cleared.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter