I still feel bad about how I treated the receptionist

Wendy1985

Loves everything fitness
Last week I called my doctors office asking to switch meds,
the receptionist got back to me later saying the doctor refused
I just burst into tears typical anxiety attack for me
She did not deserve that treatment from me normally I am very easy going

Please tell me I am not the first one to have a anxiety attack on the phone and I mean it is a psychiatrist office so I can’t be the first nor the last one depart reception sucks to deal with

I requested a different medication the receptionist tried to explain I was not on it long enough to switch I was terrified of losing my friends

All you have to do is say in the moment "I am so sorry, I am having an anxiety attack, I really do not mean to take it out on you". Then TRY and get your anxiety in order.

No you are not at all the first nor the last person to have an anxiety attack, then feel awful/upset/embarassed etc for whatever reason afterwards. HUGS

What does changing a medication have to do with losing friends? Are they telling you that you have to change the med to stay friends with them? If that's the case, they aren't real friends.

Also, it's never a good idea to change/stop a medication without discussing it with the prescribing Doctor first.

Not the first, and not the last person to air their frustration on the person on the other end of the phone.

I recommend making an appointment to discuss your concern directly with the prescriber. That way there is not a person in the middle to take the brunt of it.

What does changing a medication have to do with losing friends? Are they telling you that you have to change the med to stay friends with them? If that's the case, they aren't real friends.

Also, it's never a good idea to change/stop a medication without discussing it with the prescribing Doctor first.
It was my anxiety meds

When I first read the title, I thought you were going to say you yelled at someone. Having an anxiety attack is not treating someone badly. You can certainly apologize if you think you need to but I don't think you did anything hurtful to the receptionist. Hugs to you--I hope you are able to get the medication you need!

There are some people out there who DO treat others rudely, yelling at them or calling them names. Some would not even think to apologize for that type of behavior.

Last week I called my doctors office asking to switch meds,
the receptionist got back to me later saying the doctor refused
I just burst into tears typical anxiety attack for me
She did not deserve that treatment from me normally I am very easy going

Please tell me I am not the first one to have a anxiety attack on the phone and I mean it is a psychiatrist office so I can’t be the first nor the last one depart reception sucks to deal with

I requested a different medication the receptionist tried to explain I was not on it long enough to switch I was terrified of losing my friends
:hug:'s Wendy.

That was what OP was attempting to do. The Doctor said no, both communicating through the receptionist.

1. Someone bursting into tears probably happens daily or at least weekly for a receptionist at a psychiatrist's office. If you didn't yell at her or call her names, you didn't treat her badly.

More important is the question (to answer to yourself, not here in public), why do you think you treated her badly and why do you feel that you have to apologize for an anxiety attack and tears?

2. Also not really getting why you are afraid of losing your friends. Do you mean your current medication influences your behaviour in such a way that your friends might abandon you for it? Or is it being on medication in itself, that makes you fear you might loose your friends?

It was my anxiety meds
Ok Wendy…please know you have to try mental health meds for a minimum of 3 months before it can be determined if they are a good fit or not. If you feel right away that this particular med isn’t for you, make an appointment to see the Dr to discuss it in person. But it can take a lot of trial and error to find the right balance and as patients we have no patience because we want immediate “relief” and that just never happens in the mental health field.

I've cried over the phone to my psychiatrist's office, too. I'll bet it happens all the time. I wouldn't worry.

I don't understand the part of your post where you wrote about losing friends. Are you afraid that if you stay on this medication you'll lose them?

We’ve probably all been there a time or two. It happens.

But it is hard to be the person on the phone bearing the brunt of it when it happens often (which it does).

It never hurts to apologize to someone. Sometimes I bring a bag of apples or cookies for the staff, just because.

Something to consider - you have a good heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter