"I want a GAC" said to us!

tacomaranch

Tacoma Ranch home of wild mustangs! We are all on
We were in line for a ride when a family behind us asked what kind of pass do we have that we got to us fass pass line. I just said the GAC and turned back around to tend to DS. He tapped me on the shoulder and asked what is a GAC. I just said that my son has issues and we need it to make his trip better for everyone, us and the other guests. Back around to DS. The guy then says to me, "I want a GAC, how do I get one?" OMG! I was ready to explode but said to him, no you really don't want a GAC card, you child would have a disability and you would never be the same.

I swear they really just didn't get it and we were thrilled to finally get on the ride and away from them.

No one really wants a GAC!

Awww, have mercy. He just didn't have a clue. It's amazing what tunnel vision can do for some people. All he saw was a special "fast pass", not what day to day life brings to people with special needs. It's not lack of compassion, it's lack of information, understanding.

I tell you some people are :crazy: . When we were going through a w/c accessible entrance with my disabled daughter a man said " oh how lucky they are that they get to go ahead of everyone" My DH (after hearing this a few times that day) told him that he would trade anything to have our daughter be able to "stand" in line like everyone else.

I have told people (very sweetly, of course,) that I would be more than happy to give them my ECV if they would take all the informities that went with it. Somehow it manages to either shut them up or become very apologetic.

In the South, we would just say "bless his heart". I can translate that for anyone not familiar with the "Southern language".

All that aside, I hope you had a great time. After everything you did to make the trip happen, you deserve it.

Gretchen

I just love coming into contact with people like that. (note there should be sarcasm here)
We only had one really bad one when we went to Disney in Nov. A woman that was yelling that she had a fast pass too and he didn't need to go thru the side at Kalamari Falls to get to the ADA raft. Her husband was mortified that she would not listen to him that my son was in a chair. :( I just think there is no hope for some people they will never get it.

We were waiting one time in the Princess Tent to see the characters and the woman in front of us was spitting made because my daughters were allowed to bring their wheelchairs into the line but she had to hold her sleeping 2 year old. Her husband kept telling her those are wheelchair they need them we don't need the stroller but she kept saying I don't see the difference.:confused3

We were waiting one time in the Princess Tent to see the characters and the woman in front of us was spitting made because my daughters were allowed to bring their wheelchairs into the line but she had to hold her sleeping 2 year old. Her husband kept telling her those are wheelchair they need them we don't need the stroller but she kept saying I don't see the difference.:confused3

Well, bless her heart. I hope for her child's sake, she never has to find out the hard way what the difference is.

I have told people (very sweetly, of course,) that I would be more than happy to give them my ECV if they would take all the informities that went with it. Somehow it manages to either shut them up or become very apologetic.

Very nice reply, I will now steal it from you !:thumbsup2

I also have to agree with those that stated that people just don't "get it", I know in my case I never truly "got it" until it happened to me.:eek:

Of course I never played God and tried to figure out who has a disability by just look at them.:confused3

Be big,
Alan

I don't understand why he would be mad, everyone can get a fastpass. Does a GAC let you into the fastpass line automatically or do you have to go to the fast pass machines like everyone else?

I don't understand why he would be mad, everyone can get a fastpass. Does a GAC let you into the fastpass line automatically or do you have to go to the fast pass machines like everyone else?

I think that technically you are supposed to still get a fastpass at least that is what we were told by a cm when we asked about it. Alex is big on trying to do things as normal as possible. We went in a VERY slow time in November though and never were asked to get a fastpass and when I did try and pick one up I was directed to the wc entrance by the cm.
Now there were a few places where the wc entrance was in a different spot because the lines are too small to move one around for example Kalamari Falls where they give you the option to get an ada boat or walk the rest of the way (which Alex cannot do without an appliance of some sort) or the majority of the rides in MK.

Our 12 yr old son is rather severly Autistic, verbal but unable to read well and comprehend. Anyway, he has slight tics but otherwise does very well at Disney. We were told that we should get similar card so we wouldn't "have" to wait in line. When I told the person (actually several different people on different accations) that he didn't need it they said "your stupid to not get it, even if he is ok in lines". I just told them "You know how freaking glad I am that he can stand in line?" That was pretty much the end of that conversation lol.

Poor child - it must be a terrible handicap to have such a stupid and insensitive mother.

We had the same conversation with a family (well, actually the mom) who was arguing with the CM at the entrance to The Land. She was actually in front of us with her child in a stroller (not a sleeping child though). The CM told her the stroller would have to be left outside and then he moved to let us in. The woman got in front of us so we could not pass and was arguing that the CM had to let her in with her stroller since he was letting us in with one (DD was only about 4, but had a regular wheelchair with 2 big back wheels - not anything that looked like a stroller). The husband kept saying "That is a WHEELCHAIR"). She finally moved to let us in, but was still arguing with the CM the last we saw.
disprincesspatty said:
Exactly what the GAC says/allows depends on the needs of the person it is issued to. Some GACs allow use of alternative entrances (the Fastpass line may be an alternative entrance). Most GACs allow other things, like waiting in an alternate area, bringing a stroller into line like a wheelchair, etc.
The printed information on the GAC does say to get a Fastpass the usual way of possible. THere is some information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread about GACs.

I'm sorry, but it is just sheer ignorance and parents not teaching their children properly. What ever happened to manners and respect? :scared:

As far as getting ahead of anyone in line, my mother uses an ECV and we were directed to the HC line several times, even though she can walk onto the ride vehicle, and sometimes waited alot longer than those that were in the regular line because we had to wait for the HC vehicle, so there is very little getting to ride ahead of everyone else.:mad:

PrincessSuzane princess:

I'm sorry, but it is just sheer ignorance and parents not teaching their children properly. What ever happened to manners and respect? :scared:

As far as getting ahead of anyone in line, my mother uses an ECV and we were directed to the HC line several times, even though she can walk onto the ride vehicle, and sometimes waited alot longer than those that were in the regular line because we had to wait for the HC vehicle, so there is very little getting to ride ahead of everyone else.:mad:

PrincessSuzane princess:
Someone had posted recently that on about 25% of attractions, they got on a little (not a lot) faster. On about 50% of attractions, the wait was about the same. The remaining 25% had a longer wait - sometimes much longer.

I have always been able to come with a quick and when necessary sarcastic reply to these sort of remarks in the past.

The problem now is DS (10) is more aware of the remarks and stares and it causes him to feel embarrassed and bad about himself. Sometimes by responding I would cause him further discomfort.

The guy then says to me, "I want a GAC, how do I get one?" OMG! I was ready to explode but said to him, no you really don't want a GAC card, you child would have a disability and you would never be the same.

No one really wants a GAC!

They don't realize you'd trade the GAC in a heartbeat for never seeing the inside of another doctor's office, hospital, therapist, etc. etc. etc.

Marilyn, mom to SN twins

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter