I want to hear YOUR stories of taking an infant to WDW in the summer!

Taking a our 1 year old in July and don't plan on going to any parks, just a waste of time in my eyes. At that age your taking the kid for you and not for them, they don't really know whats actually going on. Plan on doing a character breakfast one day and a few days/nights at Disney springs. Also going to use a fan stroller and probably an umbrella if its middle of the day. Maybe head into Universal for a lap around the park but that's about it with little unit in tow.

Thanks for the comments Mike. We're under no illusion - this trip is 99% for us. We love the parks - and this time we're looking forward to the meals, shopping, and sights...and will fit in a few baby-friendly rides when lines are very short.

We live in South Florida - it's ok! Take breaks, find shade, don't push hard, plan for breaks. Lots of water/milk, etc. Stroller fan.

We go to the parks year round and just live here (we are outside a lot, too!). You'll be fine!

Thanks for the comments Mike. We're under no illusion - this trip is 99% for us. We love the parks - and this time we're looking forward to the meals, shopping, and sights...and will fit in a few baby-friendly rides when lines are very short.

The way we saw it is that, even though our kids where not old enough to remember, they still enjoyed themselves. We also enjoyed watching them see all of these new things for the first time. There is something amazing about taking them when they are little and they still believe it is all real. You will never get that if they are older already. I really don't like the argument of waiting until they can remember. What age is that? Some go at 10 and don't remember. Everyone remembers different things from their lives and we can't predict what that will be. And you can use that as an argument for anything in their childhood. Why have Christmas, they won't remember, or a birthday party, etc. Have fun on your trip.

We took our little one in the summer. We had a good experience. I will say, however, that he did end up with pretty bad heat rash on his back from his stroller naps. I’m not sure if there’s anything you can put on it but it looked pretty uncomfortable but he still was a happy boy regardless. We had a rechargeable stroller fan and found that to be a godsend. We brought a spare phone charger to power it when it died. Worked well!

We took our little one in the summer. We had a good experience. I will say, however, that he did end up with pretty bad heat rash on his back from his stroller naps. I’m not sure if there’s anything you can put on it but it looked pretty uncomfortable but he still was a happy boy regardless. We had a rechargeable stroller fan and found that to be a godsend. We brought a spare phone charger to power it when it died. Worked well!
Diaper rash cream is a good barrier and you can put that on his back to help with the heat rash.

The way we saw it is that, even though our kids where not old enough to remember, they still enjoyed themselves. We also enjoyed watching them see all of these new things for the first time. There is something amazing about taking them when they are little and they still believe it is all real. You will never get that if they are older already. I really don't like the argument of waiting until they can remember. What age is that? Some go at 10 and don't remember. Everyone remembers different things from their lives and we can't predict what that will be. And you can use that as an argument for anything in their childhood. Why have Christmas, they won't remember, or a birthday party, etc. Have fun on your trip.
I have a grandson who for years talked about trip he took at 4 months. did not remember as such but he sure could tell you all about that trip with his picture book of trip. on Saturday he starts his first day at a small park in our area as a ride op where did the time go

100% agree!!! Also if you travel with your infants/toddlers they learn to be good travelers. They also learn through different sights and sounds. Babies need stimulation from different environments. We did all kinds of things with our babies that they will never remember but they still enjoyed it!! While I agree, I wouldn’t take a 1 year old for their benefit, there is no reason they can’t tag along, enjoy watching siblings, enjoy slower rides, and make cherished memories for the parents. My kids always enjoyed looking at pictures from their early trips as they got older.

Another tip: A baby can burn even under canopy without direct sun, or being carried with adult using umbrella. Ask me how we know?? :sad1:
Also, doesn't take much burn to make them sick. Florida sun is brutal.

If you have a baby and still want to go to the parks, then go. As long as baby is safe, then why not? You don’t have to stay home just because you have a baby. Our kids both went on their first Disney trips pretty young. We have many cherished memories from every trip, even when they were tiny. They might not remember, but I do!

We took ours when she was 5 months and I was also terrified but it turned out awesome! We bought an extra UV shade for an umbrella stroller that was able to hold an infant and recline back. It was a great buy. We added a little fan too that had soft blades so when she grabbed it it didn’t hurt. The only problem was the batteries died quick. She had her hat on the whole time and we even bought one of those cooling towels and kept it across her legs. I was still nursing then so I made sure to keep hydrated and the pediatrician told us to just give her little sips of water. I honestly thought they were going to be giving us lists and lists of advice but they said baby sunscreen was fine, keep her cool and hydrated, and have fun. It ended up being so magical. Cast members and guests made such a huge deal about her. It was really special.

Thanks becky, that's a super helpful comment! I need to look into a UV shade or something...just don't want to turn the stroller into an oven. We've noted a couple suggestions for fans that are supposed to last all day (fingers crossed)! That's great that your pediatrician was so cool about it. I don't even know if we'll tell ours - I expect we'll get a long scary lecture if we do...

We brought my daughter at 14 months in November, but weirdly it was in the 90s every day! It was fine. We attached a large shade and portable fan to her stroller to keep her cool. Eating lunch in a sit down restaurant each day is a great way to cool down. I also nursed her a few times per day in the baby care centers, which were also air conditioned. And the rides are also air conditioned, so there are plenty of chances to cool down and take a break. And don't forget strong sunscreen! We always take spf 50 and apply every few hours.

I took my 12 month old....
The good: He took his first steps on main street while we waited for fireworks.
The bad: He had very sensitive skin when little and the sunscreen by about day 3 caused a huge rash and this was sensitive skin sun screen.

I'd also make sure to keep them on same diet/food from home. Last thing you want is upset stomach or diaper issues in the heat and humidity, yep dealt with this one too, but he did take his first steps on main street so I'm sticking with the positives.

Took my then 12 month old (now almost 12 year old), in July. We attached 2 fans in her stroller to keep her cool. Lots of water in her sippy cup. She ate the same kinds of food that we ate and I brought lots of snacks. We did not go back to the room for afternoon naps. She slept in her stroller. She was a SUPER EASY baby and just went with the flow. We have no horror stories from that trip.....only great memories. She went on all the rides (the ones she could) and we hit every park. I also had a 4 year old at the time. We had 2 separate strollers. We applied sunscreen as necessary. If I felt it was too hot or too sunny....we went in a store or indoor ride to hit the AC.

When our family went from one child to two, three, and four it was impossible to vacation without a baby. (I was the mom who would not leave a kid behind to go on vacation) Our youngest 3 have been to WDW several times as babies and we enjoyed the trips. On our first trip with our daughter we planned our trip as normal and had to make a lot of adjustments on the trip. We got smart and learned that traveling to WDW with kids is a totally different experience. We have learned to slow down our commando touring style and savor the small things that we would often race by. Fortunately Disney is so much more than rides. The atmosphere, shows, and magic that can be found around every corner can equal a very successful trip. Kids have a way of making us stop to appreciate how special WDW is. I agree with the above sunscreen is a must. Our kids enjoyed a small spray bottle we would mist them with. Its hard to not dress little ones in really cute outfits but nothing is better than a cotton top(protects shoulders from sunburn) and cotton bottoms. We found plain cotton dresses that worked really well. We bought light colors and had disney designs put on them. Sounds crazy but we would but the soft books in our small cooler and give them to our girls when they got cranky. They stayed cold for awhile and seemed to calm them. Have a great trip. I miss our days with little ones. I'm years away from grandkids but I counting the days!!!

Thanks becky, that's a super helpful comment! I need to look into a UV shade or something...just don't want to turn the stroller into an oven. We've noted a couple suggestions for fans that are supposed to last all day (fingers crossed)! That's great that your pediatrician was so cool about it. I don't even know if we'll tell ours - I expect we'll get a long scary lecture if we do...
I was worried about a lecture too but honestly they must hear that all the time and then some! My husband was worried about the sunscreen and the water so we made sure to ask.

PS: One other thing, not about heat, but about rider swapping. Let Mom go first sometimes!

It can get really depressing always feeling left behind while everyone else excitedly runs to the ride for the first turn, and what I remember clearly was that if the baby was cranky while I was waiting for everyone else to come back, often I'd be so annoyed by that point (or have ended up needing to nurse right when they returned) that I'd just not bother to ride it, and move on to the next thing. Half the time I'd get to the end of a long park day and realize that I'd maybe managed one ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter