• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I want to participate in the 2012 Disney Princess Half Marathon!

Happy Mom2

DIS Veteran
Anyone else wanting to train for the 2012 Princess 1/2 Marathon?

I just learned of this marathon and have read some blogs, and trip reports concerning it. I've never been an athlete or runner, but the things I have read have inspired me. This is honestly the first athletic thing I have ever aspired to do.

I have two obstacles... myself (the self sobatager) and DH (the we don't have the money for that).

Obstacle #2 is taken care of! DH agreed that if I lose weight and get in shape, I can participate in the race! Granted he agreed to it because he doesn't think I will do it, but nonetheless, he agreed. I know that makes him sound unsupportive, but he's not. He is actually the most supportive husband I know. He just knows my history. I know if I make the effort, he will be supportive 110%.

Obstacle #1 - ME! and that's a big obstacle. I am 125 pounds overweight. I have a lot of weight to lose. I know that, and I am ready to do the work.

Is there anyone else out there who is planning to train for the 2012 Disney Princess Half Marathon?

Hi! I am wishing for another trip and one idea is the 2012 Princess. Do you have a plan in mind?

I'm on Team Donald also! I can't get the Donald picture to work though.

To lose weight, I plan on eating healthy, smaller portions, and cutting out processed foods as much as possible. Training for the 1/2 marathon is another story. I'm just going to start off walking as much as I can to help lose weight. I'm going to have to research to find a training program.

I'll send you a PM with the info to get the clippie to work. I couldn't get it to work and someone, Lisa I think, sent me the link.

I signed up for WW online, but haven't started it yet. Still need to do some research on how it is different now from the last time I joined.

I'll send you a PM with the info to get the clippie to work. I couldn't get it to work and someone, Lisa I think, sent me the link.

I signed up for WW online, but haven't started it yet. Still need to do some research on how it is different now from the last time I joined.

We are trying to get WW at work so if we do, I will probably join. Otherwise, I'm going to go it alone.

Thanks for the link. I'll try it.

Try not having a space between your ticker and the clippie and see if that helps. Or try putting the clippie first. Thanks, Sunny, for trying to help! :goodvibes

As for the Princess, you can definately do it for 2012. I've been working for the 2011 since February of this year. I will be just below 200 pounds when I am there and am doing great with my training. It is amazing how run/walking has changed my body!

Looking forward to seeing you both on Team Donald!

Hi there, The 2012 Princess Half Marathon is my goal, too. My sister and daughter are going to do it with me. We just committed to it over the last couple of weeks and had a strategy session on Christmas Eve day. DD16 is on the high school cross country team and does other sports -- she doesn't love running, but she will do the 2012 race with us. My sister and I have both struggled with our weight our entire lives and are now "normal" sized people after working really hard to get here. I have done Weight Watchers since mid-April and have lost about 30 pounds -- still 10 more to go. My sister has a personal trainer who is putting together a schedule for us, but I think I'll be following Jeff Galloway's, too. I also joined a local women's running group in September and that has been a great motivator.

Good luck on your journey and I'm hopeful this thread will stay alive.

Lisah, are you participating in the 2011 run? Thanks for the help with the Donald icon.

Sandi, that sounds great. It's wonderful you have the the support of your sister and daughter.

I haven't asked anyone to do the race with me, and if I'm honest, it's because deep down I'm scared I won't be able to do it. Well, that and the fact that most of my family and friends would look at me like I have two heads.

In an effort to help myself succeed, I bought some good walking/running shoes yesterday, and I plan on putting them to good use.

Question to everyone: What do you do for exercise/training when it's too cold to go outside, and you have no gym membership?

Question to everyone: What do you do for exercise/training when it's too cold to go outside, and you have no gym membership?

Well, I live in Michigan and grew up here so there is rarely a time that I feel it is "too cold to go outside." Not sure where you're from, but I have to laugh when my southern friends say it's too cold because it's in the 50s. I have been running and walking outside almost every day this month. Yesterday, DH and I went for a morning walk and it was darn cold -- 22 degrees with a windchill of 15. We wear long underwear and good winter coats, hats, mittens, etc. On Christmas day, I did a 5 mile run outside. It was a little warmer -- 26 degrees.

We also have a treadmill and weight machine. I prefer going outside. If there is a blizzard or it's really cold, I'll use the treadmill.

What about walking at a local mall? I know lots of people do that.

Well, I live in Michigan and grew up here so there is rarely a time that I feel it is "too cold to go outside." Not sure where you're from, but I have to laugh when my southern friends say it's too cold because it's in the 50s.

I'm from the South... southern LA... so I don't like the cold, but I can handle it until it gets in the 30's.

I plan on doing some type of exercise after work this evening... just not sure what.

Lisah, are you participating in the 2011 run? Thanks for the help with the Donald icon.

Glad that you got your clippie to work. Yes, I am doing the 2011 Princess. princess: I've never done anything like it before. To their credit none of my friends or family have expressed any incredulity about it, even though I am pretty much the last person you would think would be doing a marathon. :rotfl:

I think in your neck of the woods you would be more worried about heat for running and walking. Just take it slowly and build up to things. The C25K program is great place to start.

Good luck!

Hi there - Good luck on your endevor. A couple of general suggestions.

First, Don't let your weight stop you. I completed my 2 half marathon being 100+lbs overweight (at least according to the government). I completed my first one at 318lbs in 3 hours 28 minutes.

Second, break your goal up into multiple steps. For example maybe a 5K this spring and a 10K this fall. Having an intermediate goal every couple of months can help with motivation.

I used John Bingham/Jenny Hadfield's "Marathoning for Mortals" plan for my first 2. I'm looking at combining it with information from Galloways "Book on Running" 2:45 goal plan for my 3rd half.

Good Luck and most importantly Have Fun.

What about walking at a local mall? I know lots of people do that.

Our mall is a good ways away, but we have a park with a paved walking trail right behind our neighborhood. Guess I will be going there a lot.

First, Don't let your weight stop you. I completed my 2 half marathon being 100+lbs overweight (at least according to the government). I completed my first one at 318lbs in 3 hours 28 minutes.

Second, break your goal up into multiple steps. For example maybe a 5K this spring and a 10K this fall. Having an intermediate goal every couple of months can help with motivation.

I used John Bingham/Jenny Hadfield's "Marathoning for Mortals" plan for my first 2. I'm looking at combining it with information from Galloways "Book on Running" 2:45 goal plan for my 3rd half.

Good Luck and most importantly Have Fun.

Thanks for the suggestions. My deal with my DH was I could go to the Princess Half IF is lose weight and get in shape. It's something I'm ready to do.

I'm going to look for some 5Ks and 10Ks in my area.

Yes, I am doing the 2011 Princess. princess: I've never done anything like it before. To their credit none of my friends or family have expressed any incredulity about it, even though I am pretty much the last person you would think would be doing a marathon. :rotfl:

I think in your neck of the woods you would be more worried about heat for running and walking. Just take it slowly and build up to things. The C25K program is great place to start.

Good luck!

I can't wait to hear about your experience at the Princess Half!! I've decided I'm going to challenge my best friend to do it with me.

Yes, the heat is an issue in the summer, but I guess I am used to it.

We have an elliptical in storage, and I know it is not ideal to train on for walking, but we are going to get it out of storage for the days it is too hot, too cold, or too wet for me to walk outside. I figure it will be better than nothing, and will help build up my endurance.

Hey there, you can do this if you want to! It's scary, but if you want to, you can. As far as the cold, how badly do you want to do this? It's amazing when your mind is set, what you will do to meet your goal.

This is incredibly silly, but I wanted that '13.1' magnet on the back of my car. I could have gone and bought one, but I wanted to EARN it. Even if I was the last to finish. It meant I finished. I have a friend dying of cancer, and when I would be feeling down, I reminded myself that I needed to be thankful for the opportunity to even participate in a race. My friend can hardly walk around the block.

Also, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE C25K PROGRAM. It is in baby steps. just take it a day at a time and REVEL in the fact that you met that days goal. The secret to running at least for me is very mental. To have a goal that day, and accomplish it, helped me tremendously when I felt I was 'stumbling in the dark' on where to start running.

For cold running/walking, the trick is layers. Also gloves and something to cover your ears. Once you're warmed up, you won't believe you can sweat in 20 degree weather.

When registration opens, put your money where your mouth is. I wanted to quit training but sometimes it was the fact that I had paid that $$$ and I didn't want it to go to waste.

Also just a thought but are you a morning or a night person? I wold love to do the Princess, but the thought of getting up that early etc... intimidated me personally. I just did the Wine and Dine Half at night. It was perfect for me, since I start getting more energy at night.

Good luck! I look forward to your future posts. :goodvibes

Do we know the dates for the 2012 marathon.
I am not a runner but the event looks like fun and I would be willing to give it a try.

Hi Happy mom!! You can do whatever you set your mind to!!

I'm on Team Donald too, and am run/walking the princess half with Lisa this year. I also started last feb, and followed the couch to 5k program, and the idea of the princess and a trip to disney was a huge motivator to get me out in the 90 degree heat as well at the 20 degree cold. I had set myself a goal that if I could do 7 miles by oct 1st, i would register and book the trip and I did it.

I haven't lost much weight this year, but my body has definitely changed with the running, and I am going to focus on losing weight this year, and will be under 200 by the princess, hopefully closer to 190. I'm at 211 this morning.

On the running, I found the intervals worked best for me, and run 4 min, walk 1 min usually. It is definitely easier on my body to take the walk breaks.

Looking forward to getting healthier with you in the new year. Good luck.

Several PP mentioned I should set a short term goal, so here it is
I am going to participate in a 5K on February 19th! That gives me a little over 8 weeks to get ready! My employer is sponsoring the event so as soon as we can sign up, I will.

Kenics, I agree - it is all in the mind. I know I am second guessing myself, but this is something I really want to do, and I will. I'm definitely a morning person. I'm in bed my 9pm most nights, and up before the sun most mornings.

Mommary - I think it is the 1st part of January, but I'm not positive.

Mikamah - I've been looking into the C25K program. I agree a trip to Disney and the Princess Half are huge motivators. I can't wait to hear about your experience!!

Several PP mentioned I should set a short term goal, so here it is
I am going to participate in a 5K on February 19th! That gives me a little over 8 weeks to get ready! My employer is sponsoring the event so as soon as we can sign up, I will.

Kenics, I agree - it is all in the mind. I know I am second guessing myself, but this is something I really want to do, and I will. I'm definitely a morning person. I'm in bed my 9pm most nights, and up before the sun most mornings.

Mommary - I think it is the 1st part of January, but I'm not positive.

Mikamah - I've been looking into the C25K program. I agree a trip to Disney and the Princess Half are huge motivators. I can't wait to hear about your experience!!

I am pretty sure the Princess half marathon was in March for 2010, and this year coming up 2011, it is at the end of February.

I am hoping they keep it the same for next year.

The marathon, half-marathon etc, (not the princess one) is at the beginning of January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter