I want to take my parents with me to WDW, but I need some suggestions please.

*Fantasia*

<font color=royalblue>Nothing beats a nice clean-c
I tried posting this earlier, but it didn't go through. Sorry if this is double post.

I want to take my parents to WDW Dec 28- Jan 3. My children of course is coming too. So there will be 5 of us. I am on a budget. My parents are old. My mom has walking problems (non wheelchair bound) but will not be able to get around easily if things are too spread out. Transportation needs to be easy.

I have booked 1 room at POR for Dec 28- Jan 1. Non-smoking, Bldg 14 or 18, 1st floor. This is the only moderate that will hold 5 people in the room. I could book 2 room at the value, but it will cost me more money. We can take the boat to DD to just walk around for a little bit. Then on our last 2 nights, I was thinking to try BC so we can just take the boat to Epcot and MGM for easy access to both parks. At BC, it would be during value season and I can get my AAA discount there, but not POR.

I think we are mainly going to do Epcot WS and some shows at MGM and probably do AK for a couple of shows and do Kamilanjaro Safari... and that's it. Walking for them is the problem, especially my mother, so we can only do so much walking.

I need your suggestion as to where we can stay and what parks/attractions we can see in their condition. I was thinking of renting ECV, but it will be too crowded in the park for her to use it. What do you guys think? Thanks for any help or suggestions you guys can give me.

Sincerely,
Telly

Consider Corando Springs. They have mini suites that consisit of (2) full size rooms (one bedroom, and one living room with a drop down bed). They also have (2) bathrooms. We stayed in these suites once, and we knew we could not go back to a normal size room.

Corandp Springs is the only moderate resort with suites, and they have limited availability

Good Luck

Sounds great.. but to rent that room would cost me $435 + $15 more per night for extra adult and this is without tax during the Holiday season. POR will cost me $221 including tax including extra adult. Thanks for your suggestion.

Please... anyone else have a suggestion... or share your thoughts... TIA!

We rented a wheelchair for MIL and she was able to see most of MK,MGM and Epcot.At the time she was able to walk with a cane but we wanted her to save her energy to come with us as much as she could. We went with 4 other adults and 7 kids and we took turns pushing Gramma.We took turns fetching breakfast from the food courts and we enjoyed a sit down dinner at night time.We were able to enter rides through a special entrance. She enjoyed IASW, the 3D shows,POC, the Jungle Cruise etc.(Some of the rides with a moving sidewalk were too difficult to manage and of course we did not take her on the thrill rides). We had a wonderful time, lots of great memories, and are so glad we went together while she was able, as now she is in a wheelchair full time and the trip would be too difficult for her. This sounds like a wonderful idea for you and your family!! Have a great time.
We stayed at the All Star resorts and used the buses with no problems. I think POR sounds fun for your whole trip.

I would say to rent an ECV from an off-site location.

First of all it will give your mother more of a sense of freedom rather than being a burden if in a wc which needs pushing.

Second, as you say it will be crowded. The parks only have a finite number of wcs or ECVs which can be rented. Especially if you arrive more than an hour after park opening there is a pretty good chance that one may not be available.

Third, have her "practice" in a WalMart or large grocery store where they have loaners available. Be aware, and be sure she is aware, that the shopping ECVs are much larger and more difficult to maneuver than the rentals.

Actually, MK is the one most likely to be crowded with difficulty driving; the other parks are larger and more spread out. Also the ECV can be used in places other than the parks.

You did not mention if you were driving or using WDW transportation. If you are driving be sure to bring a handicap hand tag as Orange County Sheriff's Office patrols the Medical Parking lots and it is a $250 ticket for illegal parking.

Cheshire Figment, Thanks for the tips and suggestions. Do you think it would be better for me to rent a car? But I just don't know how I would fit the ECV in the car. I read that you can take it apart... but that would be too much of a hassle for me and will take too much time and I may not even be able to put it back.

Is taking the Disney bus with the ECV difficult? I am thinking if I am going to rent an ECV that I think I will rent it off-site. I am wondering what my chances to actually get one since we are going during the Holiday.

How about the resort I have picked out? Is that good for my parents? Anyways.. my choice is very limited due to money issue. Is renting points from DVC owners feasible during the holiday? I wish I can take the kids out early Dec, but I promise my son that he will not miss a day from school. He doesn't like to miss even a day of school.

Please... anymore advice or any thoughts... greatly appreciated!! :)

I know others may feel differently, but I have one heck of a time trying to load a bus with the ecv (I always rent offsite with Walkers). I've had some really ugly CM's and it's gotten to the point that I will only stay at one of the Epcot resorts or one of the monorail resorts. Boarding the friendship boats are very easy. The monorail is a little more difficult if you have to back off it but it's sooo much easier than the buses. Animal Kingdom? I haven't been there in a year and a half. The last time I went there, the bus driver was so hateful and had me almost in tears trying to board. That's when I decided I wasn't going to try to load a bus with an ecv again. I know this isn't very encouraging.

Before I started renting ECV's I would request a wheelchair from the resort. They are limited but they're free (you do have to give your credit card as a deposit but aren't charged if you return the chair). I even took mine into the parks with me. And.......they are so much easier to load onto a bus!

Thanks Belle for that insight. So the wheelchair from the resort is easier to go on the bus than the ECV and I can take it to the park. Is that correct? Is it hard to push someone on the manual wheelchair?

As far as the boat from BC going to Epcot and MGM, is it easy to just slide the wheelchair or ECV on to the boat? :Sigh: I really don't have the money to stay at BC the whole time... I mean I could save... but it's going to be a real "tight" budget.

Would I still be okay at POR for the first half.. and the last 2 night at BC? I am so sorry for all this questions. I just want to make this happen. I would like to take them during at least regular season... but it is too hot for them during that time. And I surely don't want to risk their health during heat. Do you think it would be better if I do it in Feb 23-27.. kind of short trip. Or do it during Easter/it's also falls during my Birthday week. What do you think is better? I would really prefer during the Holiday and this will be my Xmas present for them. I apreciate any help.. any tips I can get. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Telly
:)

Hi, Fantasia! I was surprised to see you on our beloved DisAbilities forum. Welcom! We are taking my Mom and DH's Dad with us on our next trip. I'm thinking of renting an ecv for Mom and wheelchair for FIL. We're staying at BC because there's lots to do there, in case they end up not wanting to go to the parks. We're going in the summer, so I wanted plenty of non-park things to do for them to relax. I suggest reading through every ecv/wheelchair thread. That's what I did. There is a trip report on this page from a Dis'er who just got back using an ecv.

Boy, I'm worried about the rude bus drivers though. That's something I'll have to ponder. Maybe 2 wheel chairs would be better for our family.
I'm sure your family will have a wonderful trip! Keep reading on this forum and you'll soon be an DisAbility expert! Have a great trip!

More and more of the buses have ramps instead of lifts which are easier to use. I have never run accross a driver who was not helpful. Since you will be going during a busy time, if you rent from off-site you are guaranteed having the ECV. If you rely on borrowing a wc from your resort you are subject to a first-come, first-served and they do not take reservations.

The problem with renting DVC points during the holiday period is there are five "seasons" for DVC, with that time of year with the hightest number of points charged per day. Also the DVC reservations for the Christmas period are normally all claimed by the end of January.

Things to consider are: Who would be the wheelchair pusher? It can be very tiring to push a wheelchair. Epcot and MGM are flat but AK and MK are not as wheelchair friendly. Is your mother able to drive an ECV? Folks suggest going to a store that has ECVs and practicing but they usually are big 4 wheelers. The off site ECVs are 3 wheelers and easier (IMO) to drive than the 4 wheeler park ECVs. Most of the bus drivers I have met are very helpful. Please don't be frightened of using Disney transportation. We don't rent a car anymore we use Disney transportation to go all around the property. I really like having my ECV at Downtown Disney.
Best wishes for a great trip.

POR:
We have stayed there a number of times. It is a large resort, but pretty easy to get around. The food court is very good (even though we are DVC members and don't stay there anymore, we usually have one supper at POR each trip). I'm not positive where they "5 fit in a room" accomidations are - they may not be in buildings 14 or 18. I don't know.
BC:
We've stayed there too. Very nice resort. Close to walk to Epcot and MGM and you would have use of SAB swimming area if the weather is nice.
Wheelchair vs ECV:
Normally, I'd be agreeing with the posters recommending an ECV, but this time, I think a wheelchair might be better, at least IMHO.
That is assuming you have someone to push a wheelchair.

Yes, she will give up some independence with a wheelchair, but unless she is really comfortable operating an ECV, I don't think that 12/28 thru 1/3 is a good time to go with one. I have been at WDW 3 times during that time period and it is really busy. The morning of 1/1 is kind of slow (everyone stayed up late on 12/31!) and 1/3 is very quiet, but the other days are very busy. You are wise not to go to MK because that will be the busiest, most congested park.
This past New Years Eve, DH, I and another couple stayed at BWV. We went to Epcot on NYE. It was actually hard to walk. Practically everywhere we went, you literally could not reach out your hand without hitting someone. And, you pretty much had to follow where ever the crowd was going.
We left the park in the late afternoon, intending to go back to our room, have a snack and a rest and then go back to the park. We ended up taking some drinks and snacks to the porch area that overlooks the Boardwalk. A DJ was just setting up and it was so nice sitting there that we elected not to go back to the park. We spent the evening and New Year's countdown there and actually never went back to the park.
Buses:Our experiences with the bus have been generally positive and I would not worry that much about the buses, whether you have a wheelchair or ECV. If you choose to go with an ecv, have her practice with it until she feels comfortable. As was already mentioned, the hardest are the lift buses, but those are the older buses and there are more of the new ramp buses. If she doesn't want to/feel comfortable driving on, someone else in your party can do it for her or it can be put into a free-wheeling mode and rolled onto the b us (just be sure it is not in freewheeling while on a lift or when it is tied down on the bus. If it is free-wheeling at those times, it could roll away!

At that time of year, I would take the buses, rather than driving. If the parks are busy, the parking lots are busy and may fill up. When that happens, that park is closed to guests who are driving. It is still open to people using WDW transportation (some parks -specifically MK, get so busy that the park might close to people who are staying at WDW resorts and taking WDW transportation).
Boats
The Epcot area boats are easy to drive onto. The boat CMs will help you to pull on. It's actually usually faster to walk to the Epcot or MGM from BC than to take the boat.

Great infos and suggestions! Thanks everyone for your time to reply and you have given me a lot of insights.

Would it be better if I do it during Winter break in February or maybe Easter week? Or maybe just stick with December so they can experience the beauty of the Holiday in Disney?

My parents are early risers... So maybe if we go very early to the park, they will be okay and not encounter elbow to elbow crowds? And then go back to the resort around noon.

I suppose my Dad and I can take turn wheeling her if we do the wheelchair. I asked my Mom today if she ever tried using the ECV and she said she has at the airport and at first she couldn't maneuver it, but my nephew helped her and she said she did fine after that.

I told her that when we go to Disney, that it will help her get around without too much stress. I didn't tell her that we're actually going or that it's definite, but I was just planting the seed in her mind that I want her to come. I haven't told my Dad yet.

Thank you Sue for making me feel comfortable with the ECV and taking the bus. I really would love to stay at BC, but the price is just beyond my reach during the Holiday. I know I can do Jan 1-3 because it's value season and I can apply my AAA.

So you're saying that it would be faster to walk/ride ECV to Epcot rather than boating? But would it be easier to take the boat? So it will be less walk for us?

I know Dec is still far... and I have to see if I have enough money to take my parents in Dec. If not... I guess my other option might have to be in Feb or during Easter. I prefer Easter.. it's my birthday week.

They have done so much for me.. and they have been there for me when my life was flipped over and things were really bad. I just want to do something special for them in return. I know this is going to be a once in a life time with my parents. I just want to make wonderful memories that I can cherish forever and with my children. My Dad is 85 and my Mom is 75. I am the youngest of the 7 children. My Mom has been the Homemaker/SAHM and my Dad retired many years ago from 21 years of serving the US Military. I think they dererve to be at the "Happiest Place on Earth." :) I love them dearly.

Again.. thanks for everyone's help. And please... if there is anything else I need to know or any suggestion or thoughts or if you want to share your experience, you are so very welcome to chime in. I could use all the tips and take in all the infos I can get. Thanks!

Telly
:)

Hi Telly! :wave:

I don't have any experience with the ECV, so I can't offer any advice about that, but I just wanted to say HI and to tell you that I think it is so sweet of you to plan this for them. :)

Life is short. Take your parents and have a great time. I just lost my Dad to cancer 5 months ago and took my Mom in when Dad died. She'l be coming with us for the same reasons you stated. Cherish every moment on your trip!

Nik's Mom said:
Life is short. Take your parents and have a great time. I just lost my Dad to cancer 5 months ago and took my Mom in when Dad died. She'l be coming with us for the same reasons you stated. Cherish every moment on your trip!
Sorry to hear about your Dad. Yes, life is short. I know so, my husband died at the age of 32. My children were 5 and 2.5 years old. I just want to share my happiness and joy that I feel when I am at Disney. And I hope that they will feel the "Magic" and joy too while there.

MomOf2DisneyKids said:

I don't have any experience with the ECV, so I can't offer any advice about that, but I just wanted to say HI and to tell you that I think it is so sweet of you to plan this for them. :)
Thanks! And they deserve every bit of happiness. And what better way to experience that joy and happiness...oh and that "magic" at Disney! :)

It's great to hear others haven't had bad experiences on the buses! Maybe I'm just really uncoordinated! I've been using ECV's for over two years now (drunk driver hit me head on and shattered my right leg) so I've had plenty of experience on them but dang it, the buses are still difficult for me!

And btw, we'll be there during Easter (arriving Easter Sunday). We're staying at BW (we're also DVC members). I don't know if one time is any better than the other as far as crowds, but the decorations during the Christmas holiday season are awesome and the entire holiday atmosphere can't be beat!

MomOf2DisneyKids said:

It is so sweet of you to want to take your parents to WDW.
What a wonderful experience for all of you!
As others have said if you decide to rent an EVC for your mom have her practice at a Target or Walmart or another store where she can gain some experience. The bus drivers have always been very patient and kind when we load my EVC onto the bus. Also as Sue said someone else in your party can load it for her if the bus is the old style with the lift. Remember if you rent from an offsite company they will deliver right to your resort. Mom can use it to get to the food court or pool or all around resort besides the parks.
Have a great time with your parents. Those memories will be priceless.
Linda ::MinnieMo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter