I want to take my parents with me to WDW, but I need some suggestions please.

Thanks Linda. I think I will take my Mom to Target and have her practice driving the ECV.

I know my parent will love Epcot, especially the WS. Should I just go for the Dolphin Dec 27- Jan 1. It will cost me about $319 per night including the extra adult. This is one with the balcony and the resort view. Or do the POR for 221 a night including extra adult std view for Dec 27- Jan 1. Or do POR for Dec 29- Jan 1 and then BC from Jan 1-3??

I am going to also post this on the other board. Just to maybe get more replies. Thanks for all your help you have given me!

I did something similar and convinced my parents to go to Disney with me in Fall of 2002. My parents are in their late 60s and my mom has severe arthritis, so we knew in advance that the usual WDW walking would be impossible for her. I arranged to rent an ECV from an offsite location (I can't remember if it was Walker or Randy's Mobility). They delivered it to the resort the first day and picked it up the last day. It was great having the offsite ECV because Mom could use it to visit DTD and the Boardwalk, too. The only time we had trouble with the ECV was getting off the boat at Fort Wilderness one night. Mom somehow managed to shift it into high gear while we were waiting and hit the accelerator too hard. The arm caught on the side of the boat and she almost slingshotted herself into the lake!

There were times when Mom was a little nervous about parking the ECV on the bus. Dad was a little more confident with it, so we got in the habit of having my Dad actually load the busses with the ECV, and Mom taking over at our destination.

The biggest stumbling block with the ECV is that it took two days to convince my Mom that Disney has their method of dealing with ECVs and wheelchairs and they wanted us to stick with it. Cast Members had to tell her again and again that they did not want to temporarily split up our group so that Dad and I could wait in line and have her catch up through the wheelchair entrance. When the CM says, "wait here," you wait right there; and when they say, "go," you go.

The other point we had to work past, was my Mom feeling like she was slowing us down or depriving me of fun. I just kept telling her that I see all those thrill rides on my other trips, and I wanted to do what she and Dad wanted to do. We compromised a couple of times by splitting up sometimes, so that she and Dad could relax at the resort for a few hours, while I did the commando thing in the parks. We're all people who treasure our alone time, so that worked out very well for us. I never would have thought that I would survive 8 days in a 32 foot motorhome with my parents, but it was the best WDW trip that I've taken so far! :love:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story despite of your mom had trouble on the boat at Ft. Wilderness. That's great that you let your parents do and see what they want and not slowing you down. I am going to be the same way where I want them to see things and do things without strainous walk. This trip is more for them. The children and I had done Disney many times and will do more later... So I will not miss much when we skip the things my children and I normaly do.

I think WS is something they will enjoy very much. I will have them try the Spaceship Earth ride and the Soarin' and the Living with the Land. And then at the MGM, I think I will have them see the 3D Muppet Movie, The Little Mermaid, The Great Movie Ride and Beauty and the Beast Show. I might take them to AK and see The Lion King and Tarzan. And I think this attraction will be enough for them. I don't want to stress them out especially during the Holiday.

wheelchairs can be folded up.

POR with 5 people will be more than full. and you are adding a scooter. I think you will have a room problem.

the AB section at POR will hold 5 - 2 double beds and the trundle bed.

I would pick 2 rooms at Pop Century first. but hey I want more room and a second bathroom.

FW cabins have a kitchen - but they aren't wheelchair friendly. they would be $339 for your Dec dates.

OKW 2-bedroom dec 28-dec 31 - Wed/thurs 41 points per night, fri/sat 100 points per night - way out of your budget.

value resorts - I happen to love Pop Century - $114 per night - so $228 for 2 rooms (this does not include tax)

all value resorts have 2 double beds.

spiceycat said:
wheelchairs can be folded up.

POR with 5 people will be more than full. and you are adding a scooter. I think you will have a room problem.

the AB section at POR will hold 5 - 2 double beds and the trundle bed.

I would pick 2 rooms at Pop Century first. but hey I want more room and a second bathroom.

FW cabins have a kitchen - but they aren't wheelchair friendly. they would be $339 for your Dec dates.

OKW 2-bedroom dec 28-dec 31 - Wed/thurs 41 points per night, fri/sat 100 points per night - way out of your budget.

value resorts - I happen to love Pop Century - $114 per night - so $228 for 2 rooms (this does not include tax)

all value resorts have 2 double beds.
Thanks Pat! I didn't consider the wheelchair in the room that will take up some room. But with the folding chair, I can just fold them and put them aside, that should take too much space should it? Oh my... I forgot... just out of curiousity... does POR have elevators? Hmmm... I suppose value would be better with 2 bathrooms and 4 full size bed. What about BC for Jan 1-3? Would that give us enough space with the wheelchair fold up or with ECV? Thanks again!

that scooter is going to take up room in any hotel.

BC is a little bigger - 2 queen beds and a day bed.

you can I think if you fold up the wheelchair place it in the closet or by one of the beds near a wall.

the scooter I just don't know where you can put it and still move around the room?

I think it is bigger than the closet?

you can take the scooter apart - but that is alot of work when you are rushing off to the parks.

that is why I suggest 2 rooms at a value. You and your family in one and your parents in the connecting room with the scooter.

you must ask for connecting rooms if you want this. Adjoining are not connecting. Adjoining are only close to each other.

the AB section does not have elevators. Pop Century does.

If you rent 2 rooms at a value I would recommend ALL Stars.
Its my Favorite.
Request a ground floor.
I back my Evc into the room and plug it in.
That way I'm ready to head right out in morming. :moped:

I am 55 years old and travel several times a year. I often stay at 4 star hotels.
So the deluxe resorts do not have anything special for me.
All Star is like being in the heart of the Magic and that is where I want to be.

All Star Music is my favorite.It is quieter because more couples stay there. I love staying at the Clypso building. It is closer to the pool,food court and bus stop.

Here is a site with a map of All Star Sports and All Star Music.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmap.htm
Scroll down.All Star Music is at the bottom of the page.
The Calypso buildings at All Star Music are #1 and #10 are nearest to the food court and bus stop.
They are the preferred buildings and cost about $12 extra per night.
The Calypso pool at ASMU has Donald Duck.

Here is the map of All Movies.
http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/allstarmovie.JPG
The Fantasia Buildings are the preferred buildings.
The All Star Movie Fantasia pool has Mickey.
It is a great place to stay .
Preschoolers love it.
It is like being in the middle of a Disney Movie Fantasyland.

The buses are wonderful.

Bus rides are quite short from the ALL Stars according to PassPorter.com

All Star Buses-POP buses---CSR buses--PO buses--- Contemporary
MK 20 min---- 20 min-----15 min------10 min---20 min(mono)
Epcot 10 min-- 20 min-----15 min------10 min---15 min
MGM 10 min----14 min-----15 min------15 min---20min
AK 10 min------15n-------10 min----15 min---20 min
DTD 15 min----20 min------35 min-----15 min---35 min

It only takes 10 minutes to get to Epcot,MGM and AK from All Stars.
MK is 20 min away. That's the same amount of time it takes on the monorail from the Contemporary.

The All Star resorts have 1960 rooms each.
Pop has 2,880rooms.
That means more people in the pools,food court and in line waiting for the bus at POP.
When phase 2 of POP is built it will be 2 bus stops at POP and the 2 POPs will have the same # of rooms as the 3 All Stars.

Also All Star is closer to the main road to get to parks and thats why bus rides are shorter from there than from POP.

A WORD ABOUT BUS SHARING:

It is usually just our stop and maybe one more on the way to the parks. On the way back sometimes its all 3 but often Sports and Music share and Movies has it's own bus back.

I guess some people who stay at POP see all 3 All Star names on the return sign of our bus stop when they head to the POP bus stop and think All Stars also has 3 stops on the way to the park.
(Even when we stop at another AS resort to load up it has not taken more than 5 minutes and we are on our way!)

I have visited WDW more than a dozen times with the 1st time in Oct. 1971. It was brand new. I've stayed at FW, Disney Inn, a few the of Hotels on hotel Blvd., CBR and the towers at the Contemporary. I got to see the MK from my balcony at the Contemporary and I'm happy I got to experience it once. I just prefer the All Star Resorts.
The theaming is pure Disney.
My last 4 visits have been at The All Stars and this fall when we take dd,dsil, and our grandson age 3 we are staying at the All Stars Music. I thought about AKL and even though we can well afford AKL I just wanted Alex to experience the Disney Magic :wizard: at the All Stars on his first visit.
Where else can one find Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse at the pool?
Have a great time at Disney!
Linda ::MinnieMo

Oh Linda... no need to sell me on the All Star because I already do like them! Thanks for sharing the infos! I do prefer ASMo and the ASports. ASsports gets picked up first and drop off first and that's why I think I like ASsports just a little better. But as far as themeing goes... well... ASMo is definitely has the Disney "in your face." I also like POP too.

I think I might just change my reservation to the value resort. My parents and I will have some privacy, they have their room and we have ours and the children can run around between the two rooms.

Everyone.. thanks so much for all the infos and suggestions and tips! You guys are the best! :) If there is anything else you guys want to add to the infos or more suggestions... please... I am all ears!

Sincerely,
Telly

I like water. Pop Century has a lake. the All star don't.

to me it is that simply.

Pop Century attachs an longer crowd. there are probably more wheelchairs at Pop than your other resorts.

the place is pretty level and easy to get around. People don't often get lost at this resort.

You know Pat, I am just worried about the bus service. I have some not good experience with any value resorts... Sometimes it just takes forever for the bus to get there on the way back the resort. I would love to stay at BC the whole time... but it is just waaaay too expensive during the Holiday and no discount whatsoever!

OFF TOPIC:
I really would love to go during low crowds (early Dec)... but I just don't think I could afford to take the kids out of school. My son is already in 3rd grade and my daughter in 1st grade (not too worried about her). I know I can take them both out without any problem (both in Catholic school). It's just that I would hate for them to miss the lessons in class. If I do take them out.. I think I will let them miss Thursday-Friday-Free-Free-Monday-Tuesday. So he will miss part of the class one week and part of the class the other week, so they won't totally get lost in their class assignments. :SIGH:

Low crowds.. better resort rate and can use my AAA discount.. my parents will not have to worry about waiting at the bus stop forever. I guess we will see how it goes with my children's teacher and class lessons and generally how they are doing in school.

Someone asked yesterday if the rooms at ALL Stars are larger than those at Pop.
I replied they are both 260 square but that the beds at POP are bolted to the floor.
You can move a bed against the wall at All Stars giving you more usable floor
space.
Another poster replied:

The PC rooms seem smaller because the bed is closer to the door with a bigger gap being between the bathroom wall and the far bed. At All Stars this gap is about one foot wide.

http://allearsnet.com/acc/asmv59.jpg
http://allearsnet.com/acc/popcent56.jpg

You will notice in PC pic the bed is closer to the door by looking at how close the headboard is while at Movies you have a little more room.

I had never known that. It is one more reason for me to stay at ALL Stars.
I use that extra room by the door when I back my EVC in.
Linda ::MinnieMo

Fantasia, my opinion would be for you to stay with your original plan for POR or even POFQ. I have thought you could be the Tikiman for POFQ since you love it so much. Then you would know exactly what to expect there and not have any surprises. Do you think they could pitch in and get their own room? I think it would be fun to be able to go with my daughter if she knew all the ins and outs of the resort we were staying at. Whatever you decide, I think you are and wonderful daughter and your kids will have a memory to last a lifetime! Good luck in your decision.

thumpersfriend said:
Fantasia, my opinion would be for you to stay with your original plan for POR or even POFQ. I have thought you could be the Tikiman for POFQ since you love it so much. Then you would know exactly what to expect there and not have any surprises. Do you think they could pitch in and get their own room? I think it would be fun to be able to go with my daughter if she knew all the ins and outs of the resort we were staying at. Whatever you decide, I think you are and wonderful daughter and your kids will have a memory to last a lifetime! Good luck in your decision.
Oh believe me thumpersfriend... I would LOVE to stay at POFQ! But this means I would have to have 2 rooms! And 2 rooms at a moderate with an extra adult fee during the Holiday rate is a lot!! Since I want to take them with me... I don't know if I should drop a hint to see if maybe they can pitch in a little bit to stay at any Disney resort. They are on a tight budget. They are old and on a fixed income. I might even drive them down there just to save money on the flight tickets.

BTW... I would like to think I am the "Tikiman" for POFQ! :teeth: I think I am dedicated to POFQ resort! :love: And thanks for that nice kind words. I would like to make wonderful memories with them that will last a lifetime.

Fantasia, believe me I have wanted to say you are the Tikiman for POFQ since your last trip. I hope that your parents could help out some and then they would be caught up in you enthusiam for POFQ. Even your kids would be the experts in their grandparents eyes! But whatever you do, I think you will have it completely researched ,thanks to the dis boards. Let us know where you decide to stay.

Thanks thumpersfriend. I will let you guys know where we're going to end up staying. You guys have been such a great help to me. I very much appreciate it. :)

Sincerely,
Telly

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter