I was scammed before my cruise

dclpluto

DIS Veteran
We arrived two days early before my cruise to see the city. I won’t name the city because it was a very nice city and I’m sure this scam happens everywhere including my home state.
we went to get a bicycle taxi and asked how much to get to a place. He pulls out a paper and had the price to the place we wanted to get to. The price was 18.49 inUS dollars. So we said ok. . So when we get to the destination he pulls out the chart again and at top of the chart he shows me per person.
instead of making a scene in a foreign country I just paid it. Yes I was stupid and dumb. Yes it was only 18.49 that I got scammed but I still got scammed. Maybe it will help someone here to not get scammed like I was.

We arrived two days early before my cruise to see the city. I won’t name the city because it was a very nice city and I’m sure this scam happens everywhere including my home state.
we went to get a bicycle taxi and asked how much to get to a place. He pulls out a paper and had the price to the place we wanted to get to. The price was 18.49 inUS dollars. So we said ok. . So when we get to the destination he pulls out the chart again and at top of the chart he shows me per person.
instead of making a scene in a foreign country I just paid it. Yes I was stupid and dumb. Yes it was only 18.49 that I got scammed but I still got scammed. Maybe it will help someone here to not get scammed like I was.
Thank you for sharing. Sorry that you were scammed like this. Hope it didn't put a damper on the start of your vacation. Consider it a cheap lesson. At least no one was hurt or identity stolen.

We had 2 families arrive into Vancouver earlier this year for our cruise. At the airport taxi line, there was a clear sign showing the taxi rates to different zones in the city. Our zone was $35. We took separate taxis. When we arrived at our hotel, the taxi driver said $42. I said the zone rates showed $35. He hesitated for a few seconds, and then lied and said that those rates were changed last week! He then said he would accept $40. We didn't want to start our trip off with bad vibes or have to waste time filing a complaint so we just paid him.

When we caught up with the other family, we shared our sad experience with them. They said their taxi driver charged them $48!

Is this a common thing? Really makes us want to rent a car in the future.

I wish you would tell us which city so we will know where to look out for the scam.

Thank you for sharing. Sorry that you were scammed like this. Hope it didn't put a damper on the start of your vacation. Consider it a cheap lesson. At least no one was hurt or identity stolen.

We had 2 families arrive into Vancouver earlier this year for our cruise. At the airport taxi line, there was a clear sign showing the taxi rates to different zones in the city. Our zone was $35. We took separate taxis. When we arrived at our hotel, the taxi driver said $42. I said the zone rates showed $35. He hesitated for a few seconds, and then lied and said that those rates were changed last week! He then said he would accept $40. We didn't want to start our trip off with bad vibes or have to waste time filing a complaint so we just paid him.

When we caught up with the other family, we shared our sad experience with them. They said their taxi driver charged them $48!

Taxi drivers are &%&*&^%%$$ in Vancouver, we would NEVER take a taxi here. Ride sharing cannot come fast enough and of course the corupt and disgusting taxi union is trying to stop it.

Did he show you the chart the first time, or did he just read from it?

Maybe taking photos of signs or papers showing prices might be a helpful idea we can take from these stories. Sorry for those who had unpleasant experiences. That's always a bummer, no matter the dollar amount wasted.

I just hate the fact that they got away with it. I would have probably just paid also, but still, they are doing it. And why, just for a few bucks? I just hope it didn't ruin the rest of your holiday?
On the bright side, its only money and not a very high amount. And nobody got hurt. But lesson learned and thank you for sharing, I will definitely pay more attention when I will be in this position.

Ugh, sorry that happened to you! We always pretty careful with making sure we don;t get scammed but we recently ran into a small scam of our own involving airport transportation. We negotiated a price from the airport to the hotel for flat rate, asking twice to be sure it was the final total and the driver insisted it was, making it only slightly more than taking the bus as we had originally planned. However once we arrived at the hotel the driver insisted we owed him money for tolls. In the end it wasn't a huge difference (around 20 USD) and we would have given the driver a small tip which we then skipped but it left a bad taste in our mouth and it wasn't the way we had wanted to start our trip off. We have been to that country many times and DH lived there and we personally have never had another issue, but it seems like stuff like that happens everywhere.

Sorry to hear of your issues. Don't be afraid to take photos, lots of photos, the driver, the cab, his license, cab number, license plate, everything. You are a tourist and you are expected to take photos of everything. They could come in handy later shaming them online, posting warnings to avoid this person / company / etc., reporting them to the local news.

There is nothing like seeing a smiling face with a caption that says this guy ripped me off.

Thanks you again for posting this as it lets us know sometimes we need to ask more questions and be more vigilant.

So the “per-person” thing was there at the top when he first showed it to you?

unless he pulled out another chart. It was probably the same chart that he showed me. Scam artists are slick. The per person was small.

unless he pulled out another chart. It was probably the same chart that he showed me. Scam artists are slick. The per person was small.

I’m sorry - I swear I am not trying to be obtuse, but was this a scam, or was this a case of you just not noticing the “per-person” charge when you saw the chart the first time?

I’m sorry - I swear I am not trying to be obtuse, but was this a scam, or was this a case of you just not noticing the “per-person” charge when you saw the chart the first time?

It was a scam. Asked him how much he pointed at the 15 pounds but not at the per person that was in small letters. When the ride was over that’s when he pointed out the per person.

Last edited:

Tourist scams are SUPER common every where. Anytime they can make an extra buck, they can. I get that you didn't want to waste time filing a complaint, (though I would've at least snapped a pic of his taxi number and deal with it when I got home) but I would've considered those extra few bucks his tip, and not tip him on top of it. They pull that crap banking on tourists not wanting to deal with it and report them. It's a risk they're willing to take. I've even had servers do that at home. I'll pay with cash and they won't bring me my coins as change, as if they're doing me a favor. Uh, no. I am happy to give you those coins on top of the tip I was going to leave you, but I require honesty. Would you like it if I didn't pay the change on the bill and stiff you with it? No? Then give me my change.

It was a scam. Asked him how much he pointed at the 15 pounds but not at the per person that was in small letters. When the ride was over that’s when he pointed out the per person.

Nobody can possibly know all the things to look for, especially when traveling. If they intended to scam you (which is common with tourists) they know exactly what to do to pull it off, and cover their bums when confronted, hence the fine print, and when people seem to catch on, they'll change it up. That's how it happens online too, and hence why criminals are always one step ahead of authorities. Hindsight is always 20/20. Thanks for the heads up.

Since you want to know it was London. But it probably happens in lots of places.

Just curious that since you were in London, why were you quoted in USD? Did you specifically ask for USD?

LAX

Last edited:
Since you want to know it was London. But it probably happens in lots of places.

I used to live in London and those bicycle taxis are unregulated and are a tourist trap. Most don't have insurance either and are operating due to loopholes in the laws. I would always advice AGAINST using them. They target tourist's especially Americans who would not be wise to their tactics.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter