• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I was talking

A school without hallways?? Where do you put the lockers?

jr. high had hallways-lockers were outside under a covered awning. high school had no hallways-lockers were in 2 locations on opposite sides of campus under their own roof (if you lucked out your best friend got one on the opposite side of campus from yours so you could share lockers).

Some schools I went to had separate buildings (for certain types of classes), but within those buildings? Hallways.

separate buildings-no hallways. a 'common area' in each building, enter into it and it took up the entire center of the building-all classrooms and offices were on the perimeter so they had entry doors from the center/exit doors to outdoors (fire code).

No hallways in Southern California. Not sure if it's earthquake safety or not. Lunch was always outdoors everyday except for rainy days. Yet the schools I went to were built on massive amounts of land in the late 60s/early 70s. Heck the high school has an Olympics size pool and diving boards.

No hallways sounds pretty good right now during this pandemic, better than the sea of humanity I have to wade through to get from point A to point B. Kind of impractical for PA though :)
Yeah, it would be a little rough in PA. But then again, we had corridors filled with lockers in between buildings in the Sr. High School with access to the courtyards between and on the outskirts and most kids went through outside instead of through the corridors between the buildings.

I never went to the same school more than 2 years, in the same district. Jr. High was 7/8 in town. 2 old buildings and you had to cross the street between them. Depending on the schedule, you could have been going building to building every class.

Intermediate High was 9 and 10, the newest building. No windows, the only building in the district air conditioned. 9th and 10th grade was depressing because, like now at work in a factory, you only see what it's like outside when arriving and leaving.

Define "hallways". Inside a building? Nope. All our classroom doors opened into covered hallways but they were open to the outisde, not inside a building. Just a roof. So you could go from classroom to classrom in the rain and generally stay dry, unless it was very windy.
My wife went to school in the same city, different district. No hallways, no covered walkways. No sidewalks between classroom buildings. Muddy tramped grass between classroom buildings and every once in a while someone would slip and fall in the mud, including my wife once.
Oh, and no stairs in schools. All the buildings were one story.

The HS I attended had a kind of mixed concept. There were several separate buildings connected by covered breezeways. You might not have to go outside between each class, but you did frequently have to go between buildings. This was in Michigan, so not very practical. The thought process was it was cheaper to heat several smaller buildings then 1 large building with lots of hallways. When I started HS our lockers were in a separate building we could only access, before or after school or at lunch. My junior year, they added lockers the the existing hallways.

Never heard of schools without hallways. Nuns in the hallway in grammar school, hall guards and hall passes in high school.

Current picture from my high school I graduated from 59 years ago. Looked the same back then. No walking guidelines back then nor face mask posters on ceiling.

My elementary school in the sixth grade had no hallways. No biggie cause we did not change classes so no need for lockers. Our halls were essentially covered walkways all around campus.

A school without hallways?? Where do you put the lockers?

Some schools I went to had separate buildings (for certain types of classes), but within those buildings? Hallways.

Let this visual explain the necessity for hallways:

My kids high school has NO LOCKERS. Nor did the middle school. Kids have to carry their backpacks everywhere all day. They get a set of text books to keep at home and a set to use at school.

Most California schools are like this. The high schools are more like college campuses with several different buildings. It doesn't rain enough to justify hallways.

Of course when I was in Elementary School in Houston our concern was not hall or no hall, but the fact that there was no a/c. You want to know what misery is try learning in a non air conditioned school in late August/ Early September at a time when shorts were not allowed in school and wearing blue jeans and a collared shirt sweating your little tookis off!

My kids high school has NO LOCKERS. Nor did the middle school. Kids have to carry their backpacks everywhere all day. They get a set of text books to keep at home and a set to use at school.

Most California schools are like this. The high schools are more like college campuses with several different buildings. It doesn't rain enough to justify hallways.
If they don't have lockers and have to carry everything in a backpack all day, what do they do with the books at the end of the day? If they don't have lockers and have to take them home, why a set of books for at home? This isn't making sense to me.

If they don't have lockers and have to carry everything in a backpack all day, what do they do with the books at the end of the day? If they don't have lockers and have to take them home, why a set of books for at home? This isn't making sense to me.

im guessing the textbooks stay in the classrooms. And they only carry binders, notebooks, other school supplies and such in their backpacks.

I suppose my daughters’ schools in Southern California were the exception. Beethoven Elementary, Mark Twain Middle, and Venice High in Los Angeles all had interior hallways. The junior and senior high schools had separate buildings and most were connected with either covered exterior walkways or enclosed hallways. But there were interior halls within each classroom building.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter