I wish DCL offered a dinner buffet

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
We just got off our first cruise on the Wonder a few weeks ago and we had a great time! Probably the only thing we would change is we wish DCL offered a dinner buffet. First off, let me say that we enjoyed our experience in the MDRs and our wait staff were great! The timing of our dinners was fine, it's just that a multi-course meal takes some time! Our dinners most nights averaged around 90 minutes and that was with our wait staff really hustling to get the courses out and we never felt like there was too much time between courses. But although we enjoyed the shows and our servers, we just aren't into long drawn-out meals for dinner each night for a week! We did eat up on the pool deck one night and we really enjoyed ourselves - my DH said it was his favorite meal that week! We loved not rushing to get changed for dinner and our kids had the slide to themselves! It felt like we gained so much extra time that night and were able to do many more things! My DH said if we do another DCL cruise he would want to eat most meals up on the pool deck again. I wouldn't necessarily mind this but there's not a ton of choice if you're eating there every night! I know Cabana's is open as a table service restaurant but I really wish they would keep it as a buffet for dinner! I loved our breakfasts sitting outside at Cabana's every morning - in fact we really prefer to eat outside if possible. We only managed to eat lunch at Cabana's a few times (we were in port each day!) but I loved the food offerings at lunch - I'm more into pasta and Asian food so I actually preferred those meals to most of my dinners!

Anyone else wish they would keep Cabana's a buffet each night and would you prefer that over the MDRs?

On our first three cruises, we said we wished the dinners were quicker, but with all of the cruises being 3 of 4 nights, we felt like we HAD to go to the MDR, we even went to cabanas on pirate night hoping it would be quicker and it still took nearly 90 minutes...we are taking a 7 night Western in a few months and we have already promised ourselves that we will try the pool deck for dinner at least one of the nights. We had no issues with our servers or the food, I just agree with you on 90 minutes being too long to eat and it probably has to do with the fact that when we are used to having to fly through dinners at home cause of the kiddos!

We always find that if we show up right when the restaurant opens, order our food right away and let the servers know our time constraints.............we can get out in around an hour. Most of the time, 90 min is ok with us.

We look at the menu each day prior to dinner so we are prepared to order when we sit down.

We had no issues with our servers or the food, I just agree with you on 90 minutes being too long to eat and it probably has to do with the fact that when we are used to having to fly through dinners at home cause of the kiddos!
We definitely fly through dinners at home although I think we probably did that before kids as well! Hahaha! My DS6 started to get pretty restless by the end of most of our dinners so that didn't help! We did also feel a bit guilty when skipping the MDR (well, I did, my DH didn't) just because when we mentioned it to our server he seemed really surprised that we wouldn't want to eat there one night!

I've found that the first seating goes a bit quicker because they have to get everyone out and flip the tables in time for the second seating. Second seating is definitely more relaxed and some nights we didn't get out of there until almost 10. I often find myself being disrespectful to the waiter until he or she comes around after dessert to tell us where we are the next night and where we can have lunch etc. Sometimes it took a while to get that post-dinner spiel. It is a nice gesture but they definitely need to speed things up.

I do agree that it is a bit too long but it is part of that "experience" that Disney is trying to provide for their guests. I think Cabanas should have a small buffet area reserved for those guests who just want to get something quick and be on their way. Of course....you have Flo's and other quick service options but that would get super repetitive on a 7-night cruise. The buffet would provide you with some variety at least. Even better if they had shrimp out there as well!

I've found that the first seating goes a bit quicker because they have to get everyone out and flip the tables in time for the second seating. Second seating is definitely more relaxed and some nights we didn't get out of there until almost 10. I often find myself being disrespectful to the waiter until he or she comes around after dessert to tell us where we are the next night and where we can have lunch etc. Sometimes it took a while to get that post-dinner spiel. It is a nice gesture but they definitely need to speed things up.

I do agree that it is a bit too long but it is part of that "experience" that Disney is trying to provide for their guests. I think Cabanas should have a small buffet area reserved for those guests who just want to get something quick and be on their way. Of course....you have Flo's and other quick service options but that would get super repetitive on a 7-night cruise. The buffet would provide you with some variety at least. Even better if they had shrimp out there as well!
We were at the first seating! If we had done second seating and it took even longer, I think my DH would have lost his mind! Lol!

We have done many cruises with DCL and always went to the dining room. I wish there was a buffet, also. We don’t find the dining room food as good as it used to be and I also find it takes a while. Our next cruise, we are going to be trying Cabana’s for dinner.

While some may hope for a dinner buffet, it’s very unlikely to happen on DCL. MDRs are an important part of the DCL experience for most guests, much more so then in other lines. They would waste a lot of food if they offered a buffet like other lines do.

When we sail Celebrity, we usually eat half our dinners at the buffet and do not feel like we are missing anything. We would never go on DCL however.

This is the main reason we are branching out to other lines. Really dislike being forced to the main dining room. We've tried Cabanas sit-down option, but choices are very limited. And we really don't want a hotdog or burger for dinner on the pool deck. Really tired of the same old menus in the dining rooms.

Anyone else wish they would keep Cabana's a buffet each night and would you prefer that over the MDRs?
I've always thought they could keep one side of Cabanas as a buffet option, and still have the sit down option on the other side. But, maybe, that's more cumbersome than I think it would be.

Have you ever talked to your serving staff about speeding up your service? That's always a possibility.

This is the main reason we are branching out to other lines. Really dislike being forced to the main dining room. We've tried Cabanas sit-down option, but choices are very limited. And we really don't want a hotdog or burger for dinner on the pool deck. Really tired of the same old menus in the dining rooms.

I have the same opinion as you on this. I also dislike the cardboard food they have by the pool.
I wish DCL had an all day buffet... that'd be so cool.. If they did I'd probably skip 50% of our dinners at the MDR
I've never sailed any other cruise line but I would imagine some do have all day buffets? That's another thing that would make me want to sail with someone else.

We really like Princess, especially the newer ships, Regal/Royal/Sky. Awesome buffets that are open extended hours.

Cabana's physical size is just not large enough for a buffet if, say, half the guests decide to head there on a given night.

Breakfasts and lunches are shorter so you can turn over the guests more quickly, but for a high-quality dinner buffet - like in Celebrity's Oceanview Cafe - you need a sprawling size and a number of cuisine options.

I've cruised on a couple of other lines. In my experience, if you cruise often on any one line, you're going to find the same menus, and items offered on those menus.

Even the lines that have a buffet "all day" (which they don't, there are specified hours for breakfast/lunch/dinner) the buffet offerings start getting repetitive there, also.

I think DCL wants people to utilize the MDRs more because, after all, Disney is an entertainment company. The MDRs often have some sort of entertainment tied to the meal. The Cabanas option for dinner would be for those people who just want a quick/quiet meal. But Disney is still trying to do the more upscale model of sit down, table service meals.

Now, there are times when Cabanas is a buffet for dinner - when the ship has a late departure time from a port, usually.

I guess I like the expectation that we will slow down and have family time. Sitting and having a leisurely meal together just doesn't happen at home what with work, sports practices, homework, etc. I enjoy the scheduled together time that the MDR offers since even the days are so busy with fun activities. Dinner is a great way for my family to have check in time.

Now, we are doing the Panama Canal in a few weeks, and I already anticipate skipping the MDR on a couple evenings. There are two menus that I don't care for so plus 14 nights of multi course meals just sounds like too much to me. I wouldn't object to Cabanas being a buffet, but I don't see it being a pull for me.

I've always thought they could keep one side of Cabanas as a buffet option, and still have the sit down option on the other side. But, maybe, that's more cumbersome than I think it would be.

Have you ever talked to your serving staff about speeding up your service? That's always a possibility.
Well, just the one cruise under my belt and like I said, I don't think it had anything to do with the speed of service, I think just ordering drinks and eating 4 courses takes a while! Plus, we were seated with another family and we didn't necessarily want to rush them! (We requested a private table and it wasn't possible - we did check again when we boarded but it wasn't possible and there was a huge waiting list so we opted to stick with our original dining assignment. We ended up getting along with the other family really well so that wasn't an issue at all). When we're at a buffet we pretty much eat everything at once, possibly going up for seconds or desserts.

A couple of times when I've done Med cruises on the Magic, Cabanas has opened as a buffet in the evening. These were usually when we were in port late or overnight. It was so nice to just choose when to eat. Wish they did this more.
I've heard that! That would be awesome!

I guess I like the expectation that we will slow down and have family time. Sitting and having a leisurely meal together just doesn't happen at home what with work, sports practices, homework, etc. I enjoy the scheduled together time that the MDR offers since even the days are so busy with fun activities. Dinner is a great way for my family to have check in time.

Now, we are doing the Panama Canal in a few weeks, and I already anticipate skipping the MDR on a couple evenings. There are two menus that I don't care for so plus 14 nights of multi course meals just sounds like too much to me. I wouldn't object to Cabanas being a buffet, but I don't see it being a pull for me.
We eat together at home as a family pretty much every night (sometimes the kids and I need to start before DH is home but maybe only 5 minutes early), so that's not a huge benefit for me on vacation - I do still like to eat together but that's not our only chance. Plus I didn't find the MDR really conducive to conversations and we were seated with another family so we really didn't talk to our kids at dinner at all.

Cabana's physical size is just not large enough for a buffet if, say, half the guests decide to head there on a given night.

Breakfasts and lunches are shorter so you can turn over the guests more quickly, but for a high-quality dinner buffet - like in Celebrity's Oceanview Cafe - you need a sprawling size and a number of cuisine options.
I didn't say it had to be high quality, just a buffet!!! 🤣 Honestly, if they offered the exact same buffet that they have at lunch I would be perfectly satisfied!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter