I Wish I had NOT Packed...

Unsure about what to pack for clothing! I tend to over pack :-) We are coming from IOWA (tad chilly here) We are staying 9 days 8 nights. Please help me not overpack! :-) ha

Undoubtedly too many shirts. I always buy a lot of t-shirts while there (my favorite souvenirs) and then wear them right away... so I really don't need all the shirts I always pack. The other thing I have brought in the past that I won't any more - is snacks. I honestly found they just traveled from our home to the resort and then back home again! We tend to eat plenty with the meals - and when we are in the mood for a snack - we get something that looks yummy. Since our DD is 9 (going on 10) the need for snacks is less.

I had some of those small mirrors, like compact mirrors, in my stuff, and they ended up getting broken. I'm sure that I've racked up atleast 14yrs. worth of bad luck!;) I'm not bringing any miorrors this time!:)

I took far too much clothing the first time I went. I learned how to pare it down.

Kids stuff, books, paper , crayons, games.. they would have been fine with one book, and one game.. we did have time to really do all that much you would have thought i was taking them away from all forms of entertainment the way i packed!!

Oh Ann I giggled as I read your reply!! SOUNDS JUST LIKE ME!!! I tend to pack everything "just in case" I'm going to try really hard to not pack everything. I read your list and I thought....yeah, so what did you bring that wasn't necessary? haha ha Just in case luggage is lost I carry on an extra outfit for everyone and a few basics. ha (I went to NY once and my luggage was lost for a week! I had nothing but what was on my back) I'm going to have a difficult time not overpacking since we are going in Feb. I've been told to pack for both extremes. They told the wrong person that! I won't pack gloves, hats, snowpants or boots but it will be hard not to overdo and the winter stuff is so bulky. Anyone teach a basic course on the ABC's of packing light? hahaha

Okay Minnie, I'll unpack my mirrors!!
Big Sis, lol, I'll unpack the multitude of kids things I packed ha
and songbird...I really am waiting for that "paring it down class!!"
9 days, 8 nights in Feb..............Pam :-)

I need to remember to not pack any t-shirts or tank tops that don't have Disney characters on them. I have a little stack that goes with me every time, and of course I buy more, AND I pack an equal stack of regular shirts. I never wear them.

Gonna be there in 4 more days!!!

I brought way too much food. Brought cereal and paper bowls, but wound up having muffins from Tubbie's every morning. We only used about half of the chips, crackers, granola bars, etc. that I packed as well.

Packing light suggestions.

OK Folks. I can go to Europe for a week in one carryon bag. So... here are some suggestions for cutting down!

1. Guidebooks. Tear out or copy just the pages you want. (For example, why take the 40 pages the Unofficial guide has on hotels you have yours!)

2. Call the hotel or go on the website to see if they have hairdryers. 90% of the hotels I stay in do (even the cheapo ones).

3. Sample sizes/little plastic bottles. If you are going for 7 days you don't need the BIG bottle of shampoo. Either go buy those little bottles and move the stuff or buy samples. (If you are real worried, practice. Put what you think is a week's worth in the little bottle and put in in the shower, see how you do.) Move those thousands of drugs into labeled plastic bags!

4. Assume there will be NO one to help you with your bags. If you are a woman, DO NOT assume someone will help you lift the steamer trunk. Get your luggage, pack it up and try to trundle it down the street. If you can't go home and try again!

5. Remember while things are more expensive at Disney, they do have most of the basics of life for sale someplace in that park.

6. Check the weather right before you leave and adjust accordingly. Think of an unexpected cold snap as an excuse to buy a Mickey Sweatshirt.

You can do it!!!!

Definately check the weather before you leave. Just got back a week ago and never even touched the hats, gloves, coats, umbrellas, jeans and sweats I packed for 5 people. The way I see it is if I didn't pack it we would have needed it. I too am an overpacker. There were 5 of us for 10 days and I never did laundry.

Video camera - you can't use it in so many places, and the videographer's view is so limited when he's busy filming. Leave it at home.

A sweatshirt. If you don't pack one - it gives you a GREAT excuse to buy a new one at the parks. You'll fit right in with your new WDW sweatshirt.

Sandals. I just feel more comfortable and secure in my athletic shoes. On the other hand, I did use my beach/swim shoes at the water park. Take those.

Dress-up clothes. You're at WDW! Everyone is casual! Be comfortable.

Jeans. Lighter pants like khakis are so much more comfortable to walk in all day or evening. If you get wet on a water ride - it takes jeans forever to dry!

Good topic, by the way!

I will never again bring that shirt that "needs to be ironed when we get there"! Iron on vacation? Ha!

Our own beach towels from home. I thought we might want to use our own big beach towels rather than the towels provided by the hotel or water park - what a waste of packing space. Plus, who wants to put them in your suitcase when it's time to leave if they're still wet?

Plasticware, straws, paper bowls for our "quick" breakfasts in the room. The food court had all the supplies we needed. Could have left it all at home!

Great topic.
I'm getting better all the time on paring down my packing. Of course just when you think you have it worked out, something goes off, like when I tried not taking my hair dryer - wouldn't you know it, the one in my room was broken, and the hotel was booked full, couldn't switch rooms! When I pack my hair dryer, the one in the room always works!
My solution for packing at awkward seasons is a t-shirt with a button shirt over it that can be shed. Like a new corduroy shirt with pooh on the pocket over an old mickey mouse t-shirt . (actually, I dress like this a lot lately - am approaching "that time" of life and at times have no clue as to the actual temperature without asking DH - is it warm in here?).
Just taking care of some last minute stuff while DH sleeps a bit longer (he's driving, at least at first). We leave in a few hours for DL :bounce:

bottled water--:rolleyes:
DH won't drink tap water. And in January he runs the WDW marathon, so he drinks a lot of water.
January '01 DH drank bottled water like crazy and we spent a small fortune at $2.50 a bottle.
So this year, he packed bottled water. He didn't drink it. (And dehydrated himself and didn't do well in the marathon -- he finished, but that's about it.) Our room at the ASMo was so close to the food court it was handy to go down and refill our refillable mugs.
January '01 was at Casitas 4 at CSR and was not as handy to the food court.
So I guess the water depends on where we stay.
In May '02, we are booked for POR and will probably leave the water behind. ;)

As often as we've been it's something different each time. Last time we went it was:

Two pairs of dress shoes...only needed one pair. Also, too much photographic equipment. I should have stuck with just my moviecam and small 35mm Canon. I had THREE cameras (one was a disposable) plus peripherals, not including the moviecam.

I also could have brought less clothes simply by utilizing the laundry facilities.

i agree with all who said too many clothes!!

How many of us end up buying a cute disney tshirt and wearing it? that would replace
one shirt!
and who see you on the plane or in the car? if it isnt too dirty I wear the same shirt
twice and yes there is laundry facilities,
besides I cant sleep well at disney because I am too excited, but a little trip to the laundry
room leaves me tired and helps me sleep!! funny huh.

so i would say let us only pack what we absolutly know we will wear--including shoes!!

also , remember w/kids some could wear the same thing everyday, and mine always
want to buy a shirt

try this: make it a goal to get all your stuff in one suitcase and go from there start omitting
things that you feel you really dont need

and there is a grocery store and other stores to purchase items like food/water at
why pack it??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter