I wish WDW would have done MaxPass instead of Fastpass+

WDW is just so much bigger than the other Disney properties, and has grown so much in recent years, that it takes a more sophisticated operation to give people a shot at doing what they really want to do. I'm happy having 3 locked in fp+ times each day at WDW and also enjoy the system at DL. If WDW seems massively more crowded at times despite fp+, that's because it IS!

Bottom line, when WDW had the old Fastpass system we got on more rides in a day and stood in fewer long lines. When we used the MaxPass system despite more crowded parks we got on more rides in a day and stood in fewer long lines. With FP+ we stand in longer lines more often and get to enjoy fewer rides. For those who were never interested in putting in the work to maximize the number of rides or were more content with a leisurely pace and enjoying the ambiance of the parks, resturants and shops or are comfortable meandering in long lines while chatting with their party, I can certainly see how FP+ is convenient. For those of us who did as much as possible, it's the least successful system of the three.

If WDW seems massively more crowded at times despite fp+, that's because it IS!

For those of us who did as much as possible, it's the least successful system of the three.

These two quotes go perfectly together. Yes, FP+ is worse for those of us who were willing to get up early and tough things out in order to get on as many rides as possible, but this new system is what is best for Disney, so it is the way it will stay, and only get worse. In my mind it is time to rethink the way I do Disney trips. 3 hours in the morning (one for each FP reservation, plus 3-4 other rides) and then another hour or two in the evening, including a 4th reservation, is all that I am now comfortably able to complete.

Bottom line, when WDW had the old Fastpass system we got on more rides in a day and stood in fewer long lines. When we used the MaxPass system despite more crowded parks we got on more rides in a day and stood in fewer long lines. With FP+ we stand in longer lines more often and get to enjoy fewer rides. For those who were never interested in putting in the work to maximize the number of rides or were more content with a leisurely pace and enjoying the ambiance of the parks, resturants and shops or are comfortable meandering in long lines while chatting with their party, I can certainly see how FP+ is convenient. For those of us who did as much as possible, it's the least successful system of the three.

Why are you waiting in such long lines? Our last WDW trip was July 4th week with holiday crowds and we could easily get 8-10 FastPasses per day. After you use your 3, you can get more. One particular day we aggressively park hopped and secured FastPasses for ALL of these attractions: Test Track, Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Everest, Kilimanjaro Safari and Splash Mountain.

No $10 per person uncharge. No criss-crossing the park to collect paper tickets. If you're standing in a lot of long lines, you're doing it wrong.

My main object to FP+, in addition to the insanity of having to plan rides for my family two months ahead of time, is that it’s created lines where they weren’t before-it’s increased wait times on many rides that were easy to get on before.

A bit OT, but I really dislike the limits one has with using the MDE and FP's. I have a PAP, and as an example, I have an upcoming WDW trip in Dec with 4 days prior to a 7 night Fantasy cruise.....and then 5 days back in WDW after the cruise. I am limited to only 7 days of FP which I found out when I was online a few weeks ago making reservations.

So essentially I am unable to obtain any FP 60 days in advance for 2 of my 9 days I am in WDW----they cut me off at 7 days. I am penalized, despite having a PAP and staying on site because my WDW trip is broken up in to TWO segments. I found out the limit is 7 FP days when doing trips like this. But the guest who is taking a 14 day consecutive WDW trip can get FP's for all 14 days of their vacation. I am spending my 2 penalized days at Sea World because this policy doesn't seem fair to me. Just a vent on the FP system from me.......

My main object to FP+, in addition to the insanity of having to plan rides for my family two months ahead of time, is that it’s created lines where they weren’t before-it’s increased wait times on many rides that were easy to get on before.

That's just due to increased attendance. Look at attendance figures for the past 5 years vs. 15-20 years ago. There a ton more hotels (especially DVC which is almost always fully booked). Especially for MK where they've added the bypass and square footage in front of the castle, which translates into more capacity. I remember waiting 35 minutes for space mountain during peak season.... in 1985...

My main object to FP+, in addition to the insanity of having to plan rides for my family two months ahead of time...

Simple solution is just don't plan everything two months in advance. The number of attractions which require that much advance planning is pitifully small: Pandora, Frozen Ever After and Mine train. That's about it. Might be wise to set aside a specific day for each of those parks, but other arrangements can easily be made on 24 hours notice. Or in the morning as you're headed to the park. Most parks/attractions have plenty of capacity to handle demand. And people cancel or reschedule their FP+ all the time, which creates opportunities for same-day adjustments.

...is that it’s created lines where they weren’t before-it’s increased wait times on many rides that were easy to get on before.

The list of attractions that falls into this category is pretty small. Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Small world...anything else? Every other attraction already had FP or (IMO) it has benefitted from the addition of FP+. Things like character meets, Dumbo, Tomorrowland Speedway and Barnstormer are more manageable with FP+. Other attractions like Philharmagic and Figment are pretty neutral.

Why did use the kiosks to book extra Fastpasses after our reservation one were used in the late afternoon, but that was more of a pain than the original Fastpass system since the kiosks for doing that often were not near the rides.

(snip)

However, they now have an opt-in $10/ticket/day option called "MaxPass." With it, yo can use an app on your phone to lock in Fastpasses from anywhere in either park in California. ... But you don't have to be near the ride to get it.

You do realize that WDW has a FastPass+ app as well, right? Smartphone fast passes have been an option for at least 2-3 years now.

Remember that DIsneyland is much more a regional/local park. WDW is more of an international destination. The sheer number of people would be taxing to an instant fast pass system. Plus, most Disneyland guests do not park visit a week at a time, where as with WDW guests 1 to 2 week stays are not uncommon.

THAT is worth being online at 60 days for! :laughing:

Remember that DIsneyland is much more a regional/local park. WDW is more of an international destination. The sheer number of people would be taxing to an instant fast pass system. Plus, most Disneyland guests do not park visit a week at a time, where as with WDW guests 1 to 2 week stays are not uncommon.

That was my point. The scope and scale of the operations are just massively different. Sure, they both feel similarly crowded when you're there, but the capacity at WDW is just massively higher.

I'll admit that this was one of the few things we liked about FP+. I was able to book fastpasses in conjunction with a later arrival, so we were able to sleep in a few times.

The FP system as it is suits me just fine!:)

I am a senior citizen who flies down and has an AP.

We just returned from DL and used MaxPass. In California Adventure, it worked beautifully and we loved it. In DL park internet service was sketchy after about 9:30 AM. We would try to remember where we were in the Park when we could connect, so we could return. Really disappointed in the service.

Also did MaxPass this August at DLR. Didn’t realize it’s an upcharge since we received it with out Premier Pass automatically but Holy Moly! Game Changer and worth every penny. If they charged $25 per person, we’d pay.

There are rumors that the fp+ might be replaced by maxpass at wdw too. It has already been implemented in Shangay and probably will be in Paris as well. It looks maxpass is the winner, not fp+.

I go to DLR most of the time as a West Coaster, though the last trip was in July right around the time MaxPass was coming out. In the 12 years we have been going regularly (last 9 as DVC) we have been power FP users as well, but honestly I kind of prefer the FP+, partly because I'm a compulsive organizer/scheduler and now our family is at the point where snacks and food are almost more important than the rides, and partly because we go often enough that getting to our favorite rides once a trip is usually enough because we will always get more ride time in. And I don't want to pay an upcharge, (seriously, that money could be used on more beignets and churros!). :mickeybar
Soooo .... long winded intro to the fact that I was chatting with a CM (can't remember where) and was praising FP+ and asking if there was ever a possibility that it would come to DLR. Response?

They said ain't no way, no how, for a very silly reason: WDW and DLR have two separate teams that work on the park experience, fast passes, and the concept/technology/software for FP+ and MaxPass was not only proprietary between those two parts/divisions/departments of the Disney Travel company, but those two teams had a huge rivalry so they would not want the other park using "their" system.

Thought that was kind of funny, but sort of makes sense. I think it'll be unlikely we'll see MaxPass at WDW.

We just returned for a 4 day trip at DLR. I can't put into words how much we loved MaxPass. For us it was a game changer. I am not a FP+ fan and hate the planning involved. We preferred it enough to make us reconsider how often we will travel to wdw vs dlr. DLR will have the edge up for now. We had no issues with using it at either park but we did not use the parks wifi.

The real driver behind Fastpass + is predictive analytics, leading to increased profits , be it by selling more or cutting cost.
Disney are the masters of this. I'd be surprised if they disrupted that by trying to claw a cheap $10 a day from guests instead.

The real driver behind Fastpass + is predictive analytics, leading to increased profits , be it by selling more or cutting cost.
Disney are the masters of this. I'd be surprised if they disrupted that by trying to claw a cheap $10 a day from guests instead.

Yeah, they use it as an incentive to buy longer-term tickets earlier and stay in their hotels. Very few do DL more than 3-4 days (hence the 5th day free promo they're running now) and their 3 smaller hotels always book up. Totally different situation.

My DH and I were in DL in September and used Max Pass. Loved it!!! We used it at least 10 times in one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter