I won't give in till I reach the end... and then I'll start again (comments welcome)

I'm back into training. I've been mixing two training plans: my "regular" McMillan plan at the same time as playing around with the Garmin Coach feature with Coach Amy. I thought it was gonna vary wildly, but in the end, the two training plans seem pretty similar, except that the Garmin Coach plan doesn't have any workouts. It's easy runs at an easy pace 5 times a week.

Week of March 25th:
5/6 runs done
4h43 running

Week of April 1st:
4/6 runs done
3h15 running
1h50 strength training

I am now officially on leave from work for 3 months, so I will have all the time to run, strength train, stretch and eat better. I cannot wait!!

Here's what I've done for the last two weeks:
Tue - 40 minute easy/3 miles
Wed - 28 minute easy/2 miles
Thu - Skipped
Fri - 10 Hill Repeats/1:20
Sat - 40 minute easy/3 miles
Sun - 1:30 long run with the last 20 minutes at HMP

Tue - 40 minute easy/3 miles
Wed - 35 minute easy/2.5 miles
Thu - Skipped my cruise interval run bcause of a 12-hour workday, and also we had almost 10 inches of snow overnight and I am done with winter running. Full-on strike. 😐
Fri - Skipped again. Still striking against winter.
Sat - 43 minute easy
Sun - 1:20 long run. Remember that snowstorm on the Wednesday? Temps climbed to low 60s on Sunday. What?

Mon - We were able to find a decent viewing spot for the eclipse since Totality was about 6 miles south of my house. DH and the kids weren't convinced but afterwards they thanked me profusely for getting their butts out the door. It was so worth it, just for the 60 seconds we got to experience it.
20240408_152724.jpg
Picture of the eclipse during totality at 15:27

Tue - 40-minute run before registration

Now that I am in for the 2025 marathon, my A goal for my June 2nd HM will be to go sub 2:15, but conditions have to be really good for me to achieve that. Beginning June can be pretty humid where I live and I'm a Northerner through and through. I'll do my best but won't be devastated if I don't reach my A goal. I ran this same race in 2022 and finished in 2:16:20 so I already have a POT for the marathon. My B goal will be to go under 2:20, just cause.

Which reminds me to go back into my registration and edit my POT!

June 2nd Half-Marathon Training

Weekly Summary:
  • Running = 5:45
  • Strength Training (Lifting & Yoga) = 2:01
I was able to fit 6 runs in this week. It was amazing.

And so far, no aches & pains from increasing my mileage. I tried to keep all of my runs really easy except for 1.

The one workout of note was on Thursday, where I did a mile-repeats run. The plan said to do 4-6 x 1 Mile @ 8:34-9:12/mile with 800m recovery jog plus 3 x 200m Strides with 200m recovery jog. According to my DopeyBadger plan, 8:54/mile is my "Daniels I" pace, so a whole mile at that pace was really hard for me. I did my repeats on one of the biggest hills in my neighborhood, trying to mimic race conditions. I got 3 mile-repeats in (8:59, 9:06, 9:15) before I called it as I was starting to get dizzy. Still consider this a big win!

Happy running!

The plan said to do 4-6 x 1 Mile @ 8:34-9:12/mile with 800m recovery jog plus 3 x 200m Strides with 200m recovery jog. According to my DopeyBadger plan, 8:54/mile is my "Daniels I" pace, so a whole mile at that pace was really hard for me. I did my repeats on one of the biggest hills in my neighborhood, trying to mimic race conditions. I got 3 mile-repeats in (8:59, 9:06, 9:15) before I called it as I was starting to get dizzy. Still consider this a big win!

That's an utterly insane workout. One mile at Daniels I pace is insane unless you're a sub 5 min/mile runner. But then to do them uphill?!? Pure insanity. Honestly, I'm floored you were able to do 3 of them. I DEFINITELY couldn't even do one at the same relative paces and such. I mean even if it were a 5k paced workout, 4-6 x 1 mile is really tough for a 5k pace workout. Like Whoa, on that whole thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter