I won't give in till I reach the end... and then I'll start again (comments welcome)

I always go by what the treadmill says. My garmin lets me select "treadmill" as a run and then will let me override (it calls it "calibrating it") what it says for mileage before I save the workout at the end and it ALWAYS says I ran significantly further than I did until I change it to what the treadmill says. As in, off by as much as ~ 50% further. Of course, strava just puts in whatever it feels like and DOESN'T follow the override distance, so that's always fun and a completely different discussion.

I got a used treadmill from a friend. Have no idea how to calibrate it. I run at a pace of 6:30 according to my watch, and 8:00 according to the treadmill. Anyone know which one I should rely on more? I've been going by time because of this.

If you really really want to test it, you can do a tape test. Measure the complete length of belt. Put a small piece of tape on the belt and the non-moving step area. Set the treadmill to a set pace, and count the number of times the tape passes. Use that to determine total distance traveled by the belt in a set amount of time. That'll tell you how close the actual belt pace is to the set pace.

I would trust the treadmill setting before I trust the watches accelerometer. Ultimately, just like outside running, it's a matter of effort and duration. That's what matters in the end.

I always go by what the treadmill says. My garmin lets me select "treadmill" as a run and then will let me override (it calls it "calibrating it") what it says for mileage before I save the workout at the end and it ALWAYS says I ran significantly further than I did until I change it to what the treadmill says. As in, off by as much as ~ 50% further.

Seems to be to the same for me. For my run on Saturday, my watch said 4.25k and the treadmill said 3.29k

I would trust the treadmill setting before I trust the watches accelerometer. Ultimately, just like outside running, it's a matter of effort and duration. That's what matters in the end.

Makes absolute sense. Especially since the watch says I'm not running when I hold the guiderails lol. I've been going more by time/effort. And as you said in your other post, it's just a blip right?

Week 15 of 21
Looking forward to getting the event guide. Fingers crossed we get the info this week!
IMG_20220122_150915.jpg

This week was a pretty good week, except for the extreme cold. The runs that I was able to do were all done outdoors. Didn't need the trreadmill.

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 16.65 miles
  • Running Time = 3h17
  • S&C time = 0h40, eep again!
Monday
  • EB8k: 7.79k in 58:33
  • We had about 7 inches of snow fall on Montreal on Monday. Snow day for the kids, 4:45 wakeup for me to go running outside before the mini storm hit. The last 15 minutes were hard, with more flurries and wind picking up.
Tuesday
  • I got my booster shot for the virus-that-must-not-be-named on Monday evening. I was K.O. on Tuesday, with chills and what not. There was no way I would be able to do anything, much less run. I didn't even try it.
  • HM tempo: 0k in 0:00
  • Should I skip the run and do the next planned HM tempo or move it to next Tuesday?
Wednesday
  • EA5k : 5.01k in 40:36
  • Went real easy considering I was still a bit weak.
  • I was more than surprised to see my vo2max increase. Uh, in snowy conditions feeling weak?
  • McMillan Core Stage 3 Level 1
Thursday
  • Had to cut my yoga to 20 minutes because of a work meeting.
Friday
  • EB5k : 5.00k in 34:57
  • Outside temp was -4F. Sun was out and no wind, so I felt fine.
  • Skipped my Core workout again because of work
Saturday
  • Control hold run: 9k in 1:02:40
  • Outside temp was 0F, FL -9 by the time I finished. But the sun was out and I felt pretty good.
  • Think I pulled something in my lower right quad. I'll need to roll that out before my next run.
Sunday
  • Rest day

Safe and happy running all!

Should I skip the run and do the next planned HM tempo or move it to next Tuesday?
Not sure if this was rhetorical but I'm just now catching up on journals and was going to provide my opinion but realize it's already Wednesday now so assuming you figured it out 😊

Not sure if this was rhetorical but I'm just now catching up on journals and was going to provide my opinion but realize it's already Wednesday now so assuming you figured it out 😊

I redid last Tuesday's run.

*Spoiler: it did not go well. All of you who do interval or speed runs on the treadmill have my utmost respect. The mental state required is hard.

Week 17 of 21 (think my week numbers are off... oh well)
Copy-pasting last week's intro: Looking forward to getting the event guide. Fingers crossed we get the info this week!

The cold is starting to wear me down. I'm glad I have the races to keep me motivated. I hit a wall on Friday running outside. I am just tired of being cold all the time and anxiously looking at the weather forecasts to find the warmest period of the day to go outside. I am looking forward to the warmer temps in Florida. I'll take the low 40s they've had this week over the negative 10s we've had here. I'll even go in the pool at that temperature. If you see a crazy lady at The Dig Site over Princess Weekend, that'll be me.

I bought an Index S2 scale + signed up for myfitnesspal. Trying not to change too much in my eating habits so close to race weekend tho.

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 28.69 miles
  • Running Time = 5h47
  • S&C time = 1h12, including one hour of yoga.
Monday
  • EB8.25k: 7.92k in 1:00:12
  • Work has been crazy. By the time I got ready, it was dark out so I said what the heck, let's try the treadmill. Went a bit slower than the expected pace Billy had set for me.
  • Finished with McMillan Core Stage 3
Tuesday
  • Another cold af day, with badly plowed roads, so decided to do my speed workout on the treadmill
  • HM tempo: 8.57k in 1:10:52
  • This was the one of the hardest runs I have ever done. Like, more mentally challenging than running my two half-marathons. I was sweating like crazy and my mind was just like "Stop running. You don't need to do this. This is Disney we're talking about, you don't need to race those races". It is just so hard to distract yourself from the difficulty of running when the only thing you have to look at is the treadmill screen or the TV. And I even put on Encanto which I love.
  • I cut my last two intervals short cause I just couldn't keep up.
Wednesday
  • EA7.75k : 8.25k in 1:02:52
  • Did the first 5k with my running group, then ran the last 3.25k home.
  • This was the FL -16F evening
  • Felt bad for cutting the previous day's intervals short so I did an extra 500m to compensate a bit.
  • Skipped my core training out of laziness. Not so proud of myself
Thursday
  • 1h yoga. My yoga teacher did an abdominal special, so at least made up partially for my missed core workout.
Friday
  • Drove up to the cabin on Thursday night, so Friday was a trail run
  • EB6.25k : 3.6 miles in 43:34
  • Garmin says outside temp was 5F but I don't believe it. This is when I hit my "weather wall". Humidity was high probably, which made it feel colder than the FL of -16.
  • Skipped my Core workout again because of work
Saturday
  • It was -20F without the wind factor when I woke up on Saturday. I was like hell nah. I am done running in these conditions. Put off my long run for the next day when we'd be home in the city, where it's generally warmer
Sunday
  • LR of 110 minutes, with 1k FF
  • Ran 9.71 miles in 1:49:42
  • Super proud of myself for this one. Was expecting to freeze my butt off again, but it was nice and sunny, with okay winds. Went out expecting to have a bad performance but my HR stayed low and I was able to keep my 7.05/km pace on average the whole time. So overall a good run!

Only 3 weeks of training left, with one control hold run this Saturday and one last long run the next Saturday. It's starting to feel real now! I'm starting a 28 days sober challenge in February, which fits in nicely with the races at the end of the month. It can only help my performance to quit drinking alcohol for 4 weeks prior.

-Anne

Week 18 of 21

IMG_20220205_154352.jpg

Till the start of Princess Expo! We're down to less than 20 days!!

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 27.37 miles
  • Running Time = 5h26
  • S&C time = , including one hour of yoga.
Monday
  • EB8k: 4.97mi in 59:54
  • Legs felt super heavy on this one
Tuesday
  • Almost a repeat of last week, with badly plowed roads that weren't conducive to speed training, so decided to do my speed workout on the treadmill
  • HM tempo: 6.23Mi in 1:15:21
  • I learned from last week and let it go. When my 2.5k intervals got too hard, I slowed down the treadmill a bit, then would speed up again when I felt better.
  • My HR peaked at 197bpm at one point. Doesn't seem like a good thing.
Wednesday
  • EA7k : 4.46mi in 54:03
  • Did the first 5k with my running group, then ran the last 2k home.
  • Weather felt perfect, just above freezing and roads on asphalt. It felt so nice to be able to run without dressing like an eskimo and slip-sliding on the street.
Thursday
  • 1h yoga
Friday
  • EB6k : 2.94 miles in 36:49
  • Ran this on the tail end of the 6-in snowstorm we had overnight. Conditions were really bad, with 9F temp, wind, flurries and unplowed roads. 3/4s of the way out I called it quits and went back home.
  • Ran 10 minutes on the treadmill to reach my 6k
  • Finished with McMillan Core Stage 3. Three times this week, win!
Saturday
  • Control Hold LR: ran 7.94 miles in 1:30:00
  • Temps were around 8F. Streets are still in a bad condition. Snowy with a thin coat of black ice underneath. I found a 1 mile stretch near my house that had been salted so I did my speed intervals back and forth on that stretch for an hour. Then ran 30 minutes on the snowy streets. Pretty proud that I got through it.

Only 2 weeks of training left!! I'm starting to feel really confident that I can run the 22.4 miles in 3 days. And temps are supposed to go up this week, around freezing point. After the cold-**** January we've had, I'll take it for my peak training week.

-Anne

Last edited:
Week 19 of 21

The bulk of training is over!! All that's left is ~10 days of tapering/heat acclimation.

Temps hovered around freezing point this week, which was a nice and welcome change. Made running outside so much more pleasant.

Since getting my Index S2, I've in theory lost 5.5 pounds. I prolly owe this all to Dry February, since I haven't really changed my eating habits. I do myfitnesspal now but it's hard to really evaluate how many calories each of my meals are. I don't want to get into weighing each plate.

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 31.27 miles
  • Running Time = 6h08
  • S&C time = 1h32, including 45 min of yoga.
Sunday
  • EB8.25k: 8.5k in 1:04:23
  • Last Sunday was supposed to be a rest day, but my running group was planned to go out for the same distance and I didn't want to run alone. Really glad I went out, even though it was still -12C.
Monday
  • Rest day since my run was moved up a day.
  • McMillan Core Stage 3.2
Tuesday
  • DH wanted to work out with me on his Zwift bike, and I've done all my HM tempo runs on the treadmill, so I thought what the heck? Might as well finish out my tempo runs inside
  • HM tempo: 10.75k in 1:20:27
  • Much slower than I should have done, I just can't get the right mindset on the treadmill. Still, I felt like Monica Geller tap-dancing saying "Yeah, but at least I'm doing it!"
Wednesday
  • EA7.75k : 7.76k in 58:30
  • Did the first 5k with my running group, then ran the last 2.75k home.
  • Again great weather, just above freezing
  • Finished with McMillan Core Stage 3.2
Thursday
  • 45 minutes yoga
Friday
  • EB6.25k : 6.25k in 45:29
  • Temp was just below freezing so roads were a bit icy. Couldn't run as fast as I would have wanted.
  • Finished with McMillan Core Stage 3.2. Three times this week again!
Saturday
  • LR with fast finish: 17.07k in 1:58:43, including 2k @ M Tempo
  • Temp of 36F. Felt fantastic the whole way through.
Cannot thank @DopeyBadger enough for the great training plan. I feel so confident that my races are going to go well. Am I going to go all out? Probably not every day, since I also want to enjoy the atmosphere, the characters, etc. Running those 3 races in 3 days will be challenge enough. I cannot wait!!!

Safe and happy running all! See you at the meetups I hope!

-Anne

Week 20 of 21

Only 5 days til the Expo! :yay:

We had a big snowstorm overnight on Thursday, with an additional two inches of snow early today. Made me thankful that we haven't had too much snow this winter.

Summary:
  • Running Distance = 21.63 miles
  • Running Time = 4h26
  • S&C time = 0h58
Monday
  • EB6k: 3.73mi in 40:25
  • Dressed way too warmly and had fun :) I didn't have to worry about the cold temps!
Tuesday
  • Might as well finish out my tempo runs inside. Overdressed for HAT
  • HM tempo: 6.46mi in 1:19:00
  • Focused on effort rather than pace
Wednesday
  • EA6k : 3.12mi in 39:05
  • With my running group, wasn't dressed warm enough
  • Finished with McMillan Core Stage 3.2
Thursday
  • 26 minutes yoga
Friday
  • EB6.25k : 3.89mi in 47:26 on the treadmill
  • As I wrote, we got about 8 inches the night before. Snow day for the kids, treadmill for me.
  • Overdressed for HAT
  • Had fun pitting my treadmill against my watch to measure my kilometers. Treadmill seems about 5 seconds/k faster than indicated.
  • Finished my last McMillan Core Stage 3.2 before the races
Saturday
  • LR8k: 4.44mi in 1:00:00
  • Another 2 inches early this morning. I got up at 6:00 to run early. Boy was it hard. Running in unplowed snow, I just couldnt run fast so I didn't really get hot, even though I had 4 layers on. Effort trumps pace right?
  • Made me really thankful that we haven't had alot of these days this winter. Winter came a bit late and then it was mostly freakishly cold. Alot of snow would have made Princess training so much harder.
All that's left is three easy short runs for more heat acclimation and early wake up times. Plan on doing all 3 on the treadmill, makes my body temp go up more than outside.

And we leave on Wednesday night!!! :yay: We just need that negative RAT on Tuesday morning and we're good to go!

Safe and happy running all! See you at the meetups I hope!

-Anne

I've been reading others' race recaps and I still feel too exhausted to write one myself 😆

Here's an executive summary:

Had a blast at the 5k
Moving time: 35:22
Elapsed time: 1:22:45
I also stopped in that 40 minute 3-princess line.
My goal was to stop as much as I can for character pics since the race wasn't timed.

Raced the 10k
Moving time: 1:01:27
Elapsed time: 1:01:45
Saturday morning felt hotter and more humid than the other 2 race days. Goal was to finish in under an hour. According to my Garmin, I hit the 10k mark at 1:00:37, which is 3 seconds faster than my previous PR. I'll get there! When I got to Swan&Dolphin, I started feeling like I wouldn't reach my goal, so I pulled back just a teeny bit. Even stopped for a Clarabelle pic since there was almost no one in line. Should have powered through but oh well. Disney races are for fun arent they? :)

Had a bigger blast at the HM
Moving time: 2:33:04
Elapsed time: 3:02:39
Aimed to run at my training pace of ~7min/km. I chose to run in my new Magic Speeds again but should have stuck to some daily training shoes instead. My feet/calves hurt as soon as I started. Once we reached the parking entrance, I was flying. From the time I ran through the TTC to out again, I was on Cloud 9. I cried a bit up Main St too. After leaving MK I felt much better. It wasn't hot out, even with the sun up. Just cruised to the finish line.

I still get emotional reliving the weekend. Knowing I had trouble running a 5k a few years ago, and decided to train up to the HM distance so I could one day run a half in Disney through the castle. It's been my dream for the past 4 years. It's something knowing you've achieved one of your lifetime goals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter