Ice Wine

dpuck1998

<font color=blue>I'm innocent I tell you...innocen
Unless I heard incorrect, did you say Ice wine was only made in Germany and Canada?

I know I had it in Washington State at the Chateau St. Michelle winery...unless they stopped making it since 1994. BTW, its very sweet, but good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

You should know you can't get away with anything around here. :-)

Unless I heard incorrect, did you say Ice wine was only made in Germany and Canada?

I know I had it in Washington State at the Chateau St. Michelle winery...unless they stopped making it since 1994. BTW, its very sweet, but good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_wine

You should know you can't get away with anything around here. :-)

Those questions came from the folks at the Canada Pavilion. Don't kill the messenger!

I called and left a message regarding this -- Ice Wine is made in several U.S. states (WA, OR, ID, NY...and now we can add OH to the list too!).

Those questions came from the folks at the Canada Pavilion. Don't kill the messenger!

Leave it to the disney CMs to have the wrong info. Maybe you talked to someone that worked at central reservations! :rotfl2:

I found out something interesting while researching this -- WA state is the same latitude as the wine making regions in France. Guess that's why our vino is some of the best! :thumbsup2

Oh, but drinking Ice Wine while in Bavaria enjoying the sights is wonderful. I brought several bottles home with me--sips take me right back to Fussen, or Rothenburg, or Wurzburg, or Mittenwald, or...well you get the idea. :)

Germany is one of my favorite vacation spots. I go for 2 weeks for past 5 years. This year was different--DH and I spent 11 full days @Disney World.:banana:

maybe it comes down to how the grape was frozen???
[SIZE=+1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]This area of Canada produces one of the most[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] internationally sought-after products. This product is icewine. Icewine or Eiswein in Germany, is a late-harvest wine made from grapes pressed while frozen. Only three varieties of vinifera grape and Vidal may be used but usually it is made from Vidal and Riesling grapes.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]To make Icewine, the grapes are left on the vine until after the first frost hits. These grapes are harvested after being frozen in the vineyard and then, while still frozen, they are pressed. They must be picked early - before 10 a.m. During both of these processes the temperature cannot exceed -8 degrees C. At this temperature (-8 degrees C) the berries will freeze as hard as marbles. While the grape is still in its frozen state, it is pressed and the water is driven out as shards of ice. This leaves a highly concentrated juice, very high in acids, sugars and aromatics.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In Ontario and in Germany, icewine is defined as naturally frozen. This means that here as in Germany, no other method of making icewine is allowed other than the natural method. No artificial freezing method constitutes icewine by definition or label.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In addition to this there are other requirements to make icewine in Ontario, as set out by the[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] Vintners Quality Alliance (VQA)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]These include the following:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
the finished wine must, must have a Brix of 35 degrees or higher[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
there must be residual sugar of 125g/litre[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
a minimum Brix of 32 degrees in the juice after pressing when measured in the fermentation tank. The finished wine must have a Brix of 35 degrees or higher.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
the alcohol must derive exclusively from the natural sugars of the grapes[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
all wines that is labeled as Icewine must be produced by VQA registered growers and wine makers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
The harvest of icewine grapes must start after November 15. Before harvesting, the producer must verify in writing, (by specified form) the following:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]a) the temperatures of each individual harvest,

b) the acreage and tonnage of each given crop,

c) the measured Brix level of each must,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]d) the harvesting date and time of day, and[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]e) icewine pressing capacity.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
grape%20bullet.gif
All VQA icewine processors are required to attend a VQA Icewine Standards Seminar each year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]VQA authorities randomly sample and analyze must, juice and wine to ensure the standards are being met.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It is by no accident that Ontario's icewine is among the best in the world. Our summers ensure high sugars in the grapes and our winters ensure a natural icewine harvest. This combined with the standards set by the industry, leave Ontario's Icewine difficult to surpass.[/SIZE]

Oh, but drinking Ice Wine while in Bavaria enjoying the sights is wonderful. I brought several bottles home with me--sips take me right back to Fussen, or Rothenburg, or Wurzburg, or Mittenwald, or...well you get the idea. :)

Germany is one of my favorite vacation spots. I go for 2 weeks for past 5 years. This year was different--DH and I spent 11 full days @Disney World.:banana:

This is the first time I've seen the name Mittenwald in print in more than 30 years! We stayed there for two weeks during the 1972 Olympics. Of course, I was just a teenager then, so even though my dad would let me have a sip of wine now and then, I never had any ice wine. Thanks for helping me relive some sweet memories!:cloud9:

I'm not really sure of all the complexities in making it, all I know is that a couple of weeks ago I had some for the first time at Le Cellier and all I can say is, "MMMmmmmmmm!" :)

I'm not really sure of all the complexities in making it, all I know is that a couple of weeks ago I had some for the first time at Le Cellier and all I can say is, "MMMmmmmmmm!" :)
We really love it too. It's obviously not a drinking wine - you wouldn't have it with dinner, but an excellent dessert wine. We have paid $80+ for a bottle of Inniskillin from Le Cellier but it is less expensive if you are in Canada (or order off the internet). Ice wine isn't something we have every day either - it's for a celebration here - like birthdays or our anniversary. We do consider it a real treat and apparently so do others. :thumbsup2

I loved the quiz. Just love quizzes. Especially when nobody is there to see me not know the answers.

I was really happy to learn about the "Trans-Canada" highway. Never heard of that...or Ice Wine. :)

We really love it too. It's obviously not a drinking wine - you wouldn't have it with dinner, but an excellent dessert wine. We have paid $80+ for a bottle of Inniskillin from Le Cellier but it is less expensive if you are in Canada (or order off the internet). Ice wine isn't something we have every day either - it's for a celebration here - like birthdays or our anniversary. We do consider it a real treat and apparently so do others. :thumbsup2

Agreed . . . it's a dessert wine. You certainly wouldn't fill up a big glass and chug the stuff. :)

As far as the internet, I learned a few interesting things. I liked the ice wine I had at Le Cellier so I went on line to find some and order it. It appears that the state of Indiana is one of the states that does not allow wine to be shipped in to it via the internet. I never knew that some states did not allow that.

However, since I live 2 minutes from friends in Illinois, they will be ordering it for me! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter