Iceland air, visiting Iceland and classes of flying?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
We are on next year's EBTA and are ready to book flights home from Copenhagen. We would like to stop and spend 2 nights in Iceland. We are tall, and are considering Economy Comfort class.

Does anyone here have first hand reports about doing what we are considering, seeing Iceland instead of flying home right away, or traveling in the Economy Comfort Class.

Thank you.
Bobbi

We are on next year's EBTA and are ready to book flights home from Copenhagen. We would like to stop and spend 2 nights in Iceland. We are tall, and are considering Economy Comfort class.

Does anyone here have first hand reports about doing what we are considering, seeing Iceland instead of flying home right away, or traveling in the Economy Comfort Class.

Thank you.
Bobbi
How tall are you?

I'm totally following. I'm trying to decide between Norwegian air and their Premium class or stopping in Iceland. We are also tall (5'10" and 6'2")

We did the economy comfort last time, and was able to pick the 1 class seats. On the comfort you can pick what you want on the menu for free. We really loved it. My boyfriend is 188cm

5'10" & 6'2"

We were going on the EBTA this year, but cancelled, and while I was active on the thread, there seemed to be lots of support for the comfort class.

Thank you, ChristinaDK.

We stayed in Iceland for a couple days last year after our EBTA and took Icelandair but just flew coach. We are pretty short though so we were comfortable :)
We had such a nice stay in Iceland that we are planning the same thing after next year's transatlantic. There are so many things to see and do very close to Reykjavik :)

We flew Norwegian air last year after the EBTA straight from Copenhagen to NY and flew in Premium class (and got the bulkhead) and it was very comfortable.

MJ

We stayed in Iceland for a couple days last year after our EBTA and took Icelandair but just flew coach. We are pretty short though so we were comfortable :)
We had such a nice stay in Iceland that we are planning the same thing after next year's transatlantic. There are so many things to see and do very close to Reykjavik :)
This is good to know!

We took Iceland Air Economy Comfort Class back from the EBTA last year (didn't stop over in Iceland since the cruise was supposed to stop there but that's a whole different story). We absolutely loved it -- worth the extra money for sure. When selecting your seats, choose wisely. If you can get the "first class" seats that are comfort class that is the best. Comfy wide seats. You don't get the whole hot meal and hot towels first class gets but you do get a meal (the same that economy class pays for, you just get it for free) and great service. On our leg from Reykjavik to Newark, we were in the last row of "first class" seats; the couple behind us were in Comfort Class but had the economy seats with the middle seat blocked -- which is all they guarantee you I believe. They complained that their seats were broken (wouldn't recline even though they weren't supposed to recline -- there was an emergency exit behind them) until the flight attendant moved them up to first class but sternly informed them and the first class attendant that they were not getting the first class benefits and would still only be receiving comfort class benefits.

5'10" & 6'2"

We were going on the EBTA this year, but cancelled, and while I was active on the thread, there seemed to be lots of support for the comfort class.

Thank you, ChristinaDK.
Hey Bobby,

We just flew Icelandair to London and back from Paris after our 7-night Norwegian Fjords. We found regular economy just fine, and I am a shade over 6'3".

That said, connecting in Keflavik was a bit of a nightmare. Both legs we had to get out of a plane parked on the Tarmac (in the rain) and bus to the terminal. We had to then walk to the Tarmac or bus to our next plane. Not ideal in a place where it is. 40 degrees and raining. Also our bags were drenched as they are uncovered going plane to plane.
image.jpeg

We just did a 30 day cruise and flew back on Icelandair. My husband and I aren't as tall but we are not petite either. We had no problems with regular economy class. We did a 2 day stopover in Iceland too which was well worth it. You might want to consider at least 3 days though if you are going into the city for a hotel. It isn't close to the airport.

We also used Iceland Air last year prior to our cruise and flew to Copenhagen and then home from London. The flight and planes were great and no issues there and we were in Economy Class. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again however I might get more creative on the flights and departure points. It was exhausting having three connections which included us having to drive 1 hour 20 mins for the flights from Raleigh which is usually not a big deal for US flights, but this added to the time for traveling. Connecting in Toronto each way, was an absolute nightmare and I think that's more due to using the Air Canada portion from RDU to Toronto (where it then became Iceland Air metal) and the same returning. We were literally exhausted by the time we arrived and came home. So I say all that to say - make sure you take this into consideration, in case it matters.

I had also researched Norwegian Air prior to the cruise and I just was too nervous with the stories of them having issues with aircrafts and either major delays and then if not they used other older planes that people said were horrible. I read the opposite that when it was truly Norwegian Air metal - people loved them but felt our chances for not having issues with Iceland Air was better. Friends of ours used Norwegian Air from MCO to Europe and had no issues and Iceland Air coming home, also no issues.

Heather

Hi Bobbi,
I lived in Iceland for three months as an exchange student (a long long time ago!) and still am in contact with my family there. I make the trip as often as I can get there, and I can only say - you MUST do the stop-over and give yourself 3 days if you can. There is nothing like Iceland, the people, the scenery.... it is just exceptional! Icelandair is great and I have flown them many times. My husband and I are tall and we have no problem in regular economy!
if you stay over, try to book a bed & breakfast. Food in Iceland is not cheap, and having breakfast included helps a lot! There is so much to do and see, I know you will have a great time!
There is a wonderful blog: http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/ Check it out. She also does walking tours and has great tips!
Enjoy!

Thank you all, I am learning a lot. I am especially happy to learn about the seats.

We took Iceland Air Economy Comfort Class back from the EBTA last year (didn't stop over in Iceland since the cruise was supposed to stop there but that's a whole different story). We absolutely loved it -- worth the extra money for sure. When selecting your seats, choose wisely. If you can get the "first class" seats that are comfort class that is the best. Comfy wide seats. You don't get the whole hot meal and hot towels first class gets but you do get a meal (the same that economy class pays for, you just get it for free) and great service. On our leg from Reykjavik to Newark, we were in the last row of "first class" seats; the couple behind us were in Comfort Class but had the economy seats with the middle seat blocked -- which is all they guarantee you I believe. They complained that their seats were broken (wouldn't recline even though they weren't supposed to recline -- there was an emergency exit behind them) until the flight attendant moved them up to first class but sternly informed them and the first class attendant that they were not getting the first class benefits and would still only be receiving comfort class benefits.
Thank you! We are in the process of booking our flights back. It is good to know what you said about seats.
Bobbi

Last edited:
We are 5'9" and 6'1" and had no trouble with the basic, cheapest class on Icelandair. We flew from Copenhagen, spent 2 nights in Iceland, and then flew direct to Denver (which was awesome). It honestly didn't feel nearly as tight as some domestic flights. I would definitely fly them again.

Hi Bobbi,
I lived in Iceland for three months as an exchange student (a long long time ago!) and still am in contact with my family there. I make the trip as often as I can get there, and I can only say - you MUST do the stop-over and give yourself 3 days if you can. There is nothing like Iceland, the people, the scenery.... it is just exceptional! Icelandair is great and I have flown them many times. My husband and I are tall and we have no problem in regular economy!
if you stay over, try to book a bed & breakfast. Food in Iceland is not cheap, and having breakfast included helps a lot! There is so much to do and see, I know you will have a great time!
There is a wonderful blog: http://www.iheartreykjavik.net/ Check it out. She also does walking tours and has great tips!
Enjoy!

Ok! We booked a 2 night layover. Cannot wait to see Iceland!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter