• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

ID bracelet/shoe tag

faneuil

DIS Veteran
I know you put emergency contact information on your bib, but I've been thinking about getting an ID bracelet/shoe tag with my name, emergency contact and medical info on it. I don't have any allergies or medications, but I'd like EMTs to know that in case I'm in an non-responsive state.

Is something like that necessary, or am I just being a nervous Nelly?

I think it's smart to have one, even for runs around your house.

I keep meaning to buy one but haven't yet. Road ID is a very popular one - roadid.com - and they have wristbands and shoe tags.

It's definitely a smart idea- especially if you're out running on your own.

I have an extra copy of my driver's liscense (thought I lost the first one so I got a replace and then it turned up) either in my arm band, or in my runner's belt so I always have ID on me.

You never know when you'll need it! :thumbsup2

I don't think you are a nervous nelly at all. I love my road ID, where it all the time, and don't feel it. I do have medication allergies, so it is very important to me.

There have been cases of cyclists/runners getting hit where the access to medical info on the road ID was crucial. Road ID was founded by a father and son. The son was hit by a car I believe while training and it was hard for the family to be notified. This was their solution to the same thing not happening to others.

Thanks all!

I'm running a 5K tonight and there was a coupon in my packet for roadID, which is what made me think of it.

Think I'll have to place an order.

Just as an alternative, I have a 1BandID, which velcroes around the strap of my Garmin and so if I'm running or biking, I always have it. I used to have the shoe RoadID, but I had to switch it between the two pairs of shoes I rotated between. It's just easier for me to have ID info on the one item I have with me every single time I run.

WristID Slim from RoadID is my favorite. It's about the size and feel of those rubber wristbands that people wear (like the yellow Livestrong ones back before the scandal).

I don't feel them at all any more, enough so that I end up wearing it for hours after the run too. Plenty of colors to choose from, too.

-George

I don't actually ever take my RoadID off. It's super cute, and thin. However, you want to be careful with a shoe tag. In an accident, your shoes are the first things to come off, and there's no guarantee anyone is going to see that that's where your ID is.

I have been wanting a Road ID for the purpose of running around locally. I am not AS concerned about it if I am in a race and my info is on the back of the bib, but it wouldn't hurt to have, especially if for some reason something happens to the bib. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I already wear a "permabangle" (a jade bangle I literally never take off) so wearing a Road ID while running wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

I got a RoadID about six months ago and I actually wear it 24/7 because I know I'd forget to put it on before a run otherwise. It makes me feel much better about my long runs alone, knowing that if something happened they would know who I am and how to contact my spouse. I also had little extra bars custom made by RoadID that say "Suck It Up" and "Buttercup", because I often need to remind myself of that on the run! :rotfl:

Echoing the thoughts above....

Please wear ID when you are running away from the house. You never, never know when you may not be able to speak for yourself. Purchase most any version but one that attaches to the shoe. Your shoes may not survive a car on runner impact. If dark (likely) the shoe with your info may not be found.

I know the importance of an ID as I am a survivor of a car on runner hit and run about 8 years ago. It was an early morning run in a new town. I left the room with all my gear but noted I did not put the RoadID on just as the elevator doors opened. I made the fateful decision to go back for the ID. Fortunately I did as a short 20 minutes later I was laying in the middle of an intersection after being sideswiped by a hit and run driver. I was lucky, I had no real injury other than pride.

Get an ID and wear it. Wear it in the races as well. However, one should still fill out the back of the bib. Med tent folks are going to go through a progression and if you did not fill out the back of the bib you prolong any outside contact. Maybe not by much, but why not take the additional couple minutes.

Echoing the thoughts above....

Please wear ID when you are running away from the house. You never, never know when you may not be able to speak for yourself. Purchase most any version but one that attaches to the shoe. Your shoes may not survive a car on runner impact. If dark (likely) the shoe with your info may not be found.

I know the importance of an ID as I am a survivor of a car on runner hit and run about 8 years ago. It was an early morning run in a new town. I left the room with all my gear but noted I did not put the RoadID on just as the elevator doors opened. I made the fateful decision to go back for the ID. Fortunately I did as a short 20 minutes later I was laying in the middle of an intersection after being sideswiped by a hit and run driver. I was lucky, I had no real injury other than pride.

Get an ID and wear it. Wear it in the races as well. However, one should still fill out the back of the bib. Med tent folks are going to go through a progression and if you did not fill out the back of the bib you prolong any outside contact. Maybe not by much, but why not take the additional couple minutes.

Funny thing.
Walking to the car last night, my heel got caught and I walked right out of my shoe.

It made me think. If I were to get hit by a car, my shoes could fly off! So no way I'm getting the shoe tag - cause EMT's aren't going to hunt the bushes/road/etc for my lost shoe.

Then I come and read this, and people mention the same thing.
Buying the bracelets. Today. Thanks everyone.

and cewait - glad you weren't injured badly. I've heard horror stories, and I really don't want my new passion to turn into a nightmare.

Ive gotten so used to my Road ID 'slim' that if start a run without it I have to go back because it doesn't feel 'right' between that and using runkeeper where several key people have my sign on info- makes me feel more secure in my morning runs around my complex..

-em

I don't like things around my wrist, so I have the anklet version. As someone with health concerns and medication allergies, I wear it 99% of the time.
538132_10151494202140420_2117251987_n.jpg

Has anyone tried the Road ID app for the iPhone? It sents out an "electronic bread crumb" (i.e., a text or e-mail) to up to 5 contacts to let them know you are on a run. Thye can then follow along online (or not). It also sends out a further alert if you have not moved for 5 minutes. -- Suzanne

Has anyone tried the Road ID app for the iPhone? It sents out an "electronic bread crumb" (i.e., a text or e-mail) to up to 5 contacts to let them know you are on a run. Thye can then follow along online (or not). It also sends out a further alert if you have not moved for 5 minutes. -- Suzanne

Yes. I use it whenever running the neighborhood. Works pretty well, and gives the wife some peace of mind.

I know you put emergency contact information on your bib, but I've been thinking about getting an ID bracelet/shoe tag with my name, emergency contact and medical info on it. I don't have any allergies or medications, but I'd like EMTs to know that in case I'm in an non-responsive state.

Is something like that necessary, or am I just being a nervous Nelly?

I carry the RoadID shoe pouch on my running shoes, wear the dog tag daily and utilize the app on my phone. I figure if I'm unable to communicate it gives the first responders the information they need to possibly save my life, or who to send the body bag to. :)

Yes. I use it whenever running the neighborhood. Works pretty well, and gives the wife some peace of mind.

Thanks. My DH has been a bit worried ever since I tripped and caught myself with my face several months ago. I found that my sweat bands are great for staunching the blood! I was lucky to be close to home, but might be farther next time. -- Suzanne

I wear a roadID for runs always. My son wears one because he has food allergies. I also use both the RoadID app and the GarminConnect app that allows DH to track my runs. I figure that taking extra precaution cannot hurt.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter