ID for teens (18,16 and 14) on plane?

karensi

My Family and Disney are my two favorite things!
Hi, we will be traveling to Orlando next month, Delta going and JetBlue coming home. My grandsons are 18, 16 and 14 years old, their parents (my daughter and son in law) will also be traveling but just wondering if they will need ID. Thinking maybe the 18 year old, but not sure. Thanks

The 16 and 14 year olds do not (as mentioned by other posters). However, IF the 16yo has a DL, they may want to show it (mine did when she was 16... made her feel "adult").

Also, just so you know, the airline doesn't care about ID (unless you're trying to pass them off as lap babies). TSA does however.

They probably haven't been doing it since the pandemic started but airlines do from time to time request everyone's ID (those who need it) during the boarding process. It's happened a few times to me with SWA so along with my boarding pass I had to show my ID. I doubt it's a common thing but it does happen and when they do request it they do care.

Yes, 18 needs ID, the 16 and 14 do not. TSA will ask them their names and ages. My oldest didn't have her driver's license at 18, so she used her passport for ID. My youngest will be 18 in April, when we renewed her passport last year I got her both the passport book and card, so she'll just need her passport card to fly in the US until she eventually gets her license.

The 18 your old doesn't need ID, but it will make their experience much more pleasant. You can fly without ID, but you'll have to go through lots of extra screening. People lose their ID all the time when they're traveling.

They probably haven't been doing it since the pandemic started but airlines do from time to time request everyone's ID (those who need it) during the boarding process. It's happened a few times to me with SWA so along with my boarding pass I had to show my ID. I doubt it's a common thing but it does happen and when they do request it they do care.
How odd. I've boarded planes at least 50 times, post 911, on every major carrier except United and not once have they asked for ID to board the plane. To get through TSA sure but never to board. Maybe there as something suspicious on your flight to make them do that. Sure isn't common at all. Pre or post pandemic

How odd. I've boarded planes at least 50 times, post 911, on every major carrier except United and not once have they asked for ID to board the plane. To get through TSA sure but never to board. Maybe there as something suspicious on your flight to make them do that. Sure isn't common at all. Pre or post pandemic
No I don't think it's common but it was in response to airlines don't care about ID only TSA do.

It caught me off guard for sure the first time it happened but it's happened at several airports over time so not isolated to one. My husband has traveled a ton, more than you, and has encountered it maybe twice? So yeah not common but something within the airline's authority to ask for ID during boarding

I missed something. Who said ID is needed to board the plane?

ETA: I've had to show my passport to board an international flight.

I’ve also shown my ID at the gate a few times. But I can’t remember if it was on domestic or international flights.
Mine were domestic, I can't remember the other airports but one was definitely BWI and my home airport once (KCI). The gate agents just announced basically they'll be needing everyone to show their IDs in addition to their boarding passes. I doubt they do it much but they can clearly ask for them.

I have had to show ID plus boarding pass at the gate at least a couple of times, probably 3-4 times in the past ~20 years. All domestic flights, at PHL and at MCO. I agree it isn't common but does happen. One time, I had managed to misplace my ID after going through TSA and was in a panic trying to locate it to board -- they did let me board without it since my DH had his; I don't know what they would have done if I'd been solo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter