Ideas for DD (13) and I in Vegas

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
DD and I are going to Vegas for 3 nights for a soccer tournament next month.

I thought it would be fun if we could do a couple of unique things, although trying to be on a budget.

We are staying at Circus Circus (not my choice at all), and we will have a car. Hoping to stay in the strip area though.

Any thoughts on a show, fun place to eat, shopping?

Thanks!

We just returned from Vegas.
Sooo much to do, it really depends on interest.

We try to hit a show each visit and saw Elton John last week. It was amazing-we've seen Celine Dion and the Rascal Flatts residency in the past.
Hotel touring can take all 3 days, each property is unique. We visited the Venetian and loved it.
Food is all over the spectrum, from fast food to expensive steak dinners. Check Groupon for some decent offers. We had Fellini's at the Stratosphere for a fancier dinner, probably the best steak I've ever eaten.

As for shopping, each hotel has it's own shopping "mall". Many are expensive and well out of the price range for "normal" folks. The Fashion Show mall is just like any other US mall, but is on the strip. I've had success at both the north and south outlets. The Venetian and Caesar's both have large malls inside for window shopping. There is a promenade near the Linq and the High Roller with some shops.

The Fremont experience downtown is worth a visit. We went on a Monday night and it wasn't bad. If you are ultra conservative though, you may find things you would not want a 13 year old to see, both on the strip an at Fremont. It's not fully naked folks strolling around at random though, just "interesting" outfits.

If you are not wanting to drive, take Uber/Lyft. It was around $7 for each ride from where we stayed (Trump International) to anywhere on the strip. Trump is very close to Circus Circus.

If you do venture out with the car, head to the Hoover Dam/Boulder City, the Valley of Fire, and/or Red Rock Canyon. All 3 are worth the drive and have amazing scenery.

Enjoy your stay, we've already booked a return trip for November.

Belleville Fountain show
Bellagio conservatoryy
Circus acts at Circus, Circus
M&M store
Hershey store (New York, New York)
Mirage volcano
Rio Sky parade
Ethel M factory tour

Do a quick search for “Vegas with teens”. Lots of good info in that thread. We’ve been back for 2 weeks now and had fun.

Plenty to do with a 13 year old, most of it free. If you've never been to Vegas, the strip itself is just a sight to behold. Kind of like WDW, it's FAR bigger than you realize. So it could take you several nights to take it all in anyway, just walking around looking at stuff. They have a monorail system, use it if you need to get from one far end to the other. It doesn't cover the entire length, but enough. Seriously, just walk around and check out the hotels. They all have themes and are just worth looking around. Some fun and free things to see...

Fountains at Bellagio (these are really awesome, I could spend an hour there watching)
Show outside of Mirage
Walk around The Venetian
M&M store
Freemont St Experience (not on the strip, but close and you said you'd have a car)

Oh, and if someone tries to hand you a pamphlet/coupon, don't take it...not appropriate for 13 year olds. :D

Besides what was already mentioned, the Pinball Hall of Fame is a really fun place to spend an hour or two in. They have a hundred or so pinball machines from the 1950's to present and you can play every single one of them. They also have other retro arcade games and donate the profit to charities.

Although they are not on the strip, they are pretty close (maybe 10 minute drive from MGM).

http://www.pinballmuseum.org/

DD and I are going to Vegas for 3 nights for a soccer tournament next month.

I thought it would be fun if we could do a couple of unique things, although trying to be on a budget.

We are staying at Circus Circus (not my choice at all), and we will have a car. Hoping to stay in the strip area though.

Any thoughts on a show, fun place to eat, shopping?

Thanks!

The Miracle Mile Mall has a great show, shopping, and places to eat. :) Vegas the Show! Inside the Saxe Theater on the backside of the mall. I just went with my 14 and 16 year old and they both enjoyed this old style Vegas show. We had center seats in row B, but I would have probably preferred to be a couple rows back, not that there is a bad seat in the place, it's a very small theater... up close and personal. :) The singers made eye contact with us and you could tell they really loved their jobs and entertaining. They are singing live.

https://www.vegastheshow.com/

They say it changes every six months.

Oh! If there's an overhead walkway at an intersection, use it! Do not try to cross the street where there are barriers.

The Slotzilla zip line on Fremont Street! My teens (15 and 17 at the time) loved it! Reserve a time in advance.

We really enjoyed the Cirque du Soleil show, Mystère, at Treasure Island. It was a wonderful show!

Have a good trip!

In addition to what others say, the fountains at the Wynn is excellent.
The oasis behind the Flamingo.
My favorite show was KA at the MGM. Read the story on Wikipedia before you go.

There is so much shopping. They have the Cocoa Cola store and the M&M store. They have 2 different mob museums.

You can also use these sites for discounts

'Groupon.com
Livingsocials.com

If you like the Earl of Sandwich it is in Planet Hollywood

Bellagio has a huge chocolate fountain and a great bakery .Plus the conservatory is always changed take pictures.There is so much stuff to look at.

The Tix for Tonight little kiosks in various places along the Strip have better prices if you are willing to wait until getting there to book something. We did the Avenger Experience at Treasure island and the giant Ferris wheel using those discounts.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter