• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Ideas for Pittsburgh Pa trip ideas

Tink3815

DIS Veteran
Thinking of taking a long weekend next weekend to Pittsburgh . We can drive in about 4 hours and really don't want to fly anywhere right now. For those who know the area , are there any things not to miss. We like museum's and historical sites. Not really big on physical activities , but do enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks

We were there for a weekend a number of years ago and went to a Pirates game, the zoo, Andy Warhol museum, the incline. Possibly a botanical garden as well. Had lunch at Primanti Brothers.

I think it's called the strip district. There are many nice eateries there including the Primanti Brothers mentioned above and a beautiful historic church that's open for tourists to walk into and learn about.

One thing to know about Pittsburgh - the highway roads can be intimidating - short on ramps on hilly terrain, major roads that criss cross where folks need to get from one side of the highway to the other, tons of traffic in and out of the tunnels, etc. So, if you want to enjoy Pittsburgh sites, stay in Pittsburgh proper, so you can deal with that less...

We love Pittsburgh but I hate driving there!

Someone mentioned the nationality rooms at University of Pittsburgh. Very cool tour. I liked the Warhol museum. The Carnegie science museum is good, as well. Didn’t really care for the aviary. We also loved Bicycle Heaven and RandyLand.

The Nationality Rooms at the University of Pittsburgh are unique.
We love Pittsburgh but I hate driving there!

Someone mentioned the nationality rooms at University of Pittsburgh. Very cool tour. I liked the Warhol museum. The Carnegie science museum is good, as well. Didn’t really care for the aviary. We also loved Bicycle Heaven and RandyLand.
Aww. It makes me happy to hear that people love the nationality rooms so much. When I was in college I was a part of Quo Vadis and we were the tour guides. The testing to become one was fairly rigorous. The rooms are also decorated for Christmas—simply spectacular if you ever get the chance. Phipps is nearby (walking distance from the Cathedral of Learning where the Nationality Rooms are) and also fantastic. Also, Heinz Chapel is next to the Cathedral and beautiful as well.

When I am stuck in Pitts, I look for a sign of life

2a495da7eca0bae866fd84c763bdf18e.jpg

Thank you for everyone's ideas. We have a few free nights at Marriott I need to use soon. Will try to find something in downtown rather than on the outskirts.

We like the Zoo, Aviary, and Phipps; the zoo has a Chinese lantern festival coming up but I'm not sure of the dates. If you park at Station Square you can take the incline up to Mount Washington, there's an overlook up there that is beautiful at night, and a really great ice cream shop; it makes a good late afternoon visit to ride up the incline close to sunset, walk to the ice cream shop, and then walk back to the overlook to watch the sunset and the city light up as night falls--double check hours of operation though because I haven't done this for a few years. I also love visiting point state park on a hot day and sitting by the fountain and watching all the boats on the river. The Strip District is cool too, and super easy to get to because you don't have to drive through the city to get there. Like others have said, driving through Pittsburgh is AWFUL.

Hate to be nice to Pitt, but if you are comming in on 76 headed west to Pitt, its really cool, you see nothig but these twisted Mt you are going thru, then you trun around last hill, and this big city appears out of nowhere its like the wizard of oz

Also, Heinz Chapel is next to the Cathedral and beautiful as well.

That is where I got married! 👰🤵 It is a beautiful church.

Lots of great ideas shared already. I'd also mention Heinz History Center, especially if you are a Mr Rogers' Neighborhood fan.

Carson Street in the South Side was always a fun time in the evening. Lots of shops, restaurants, and bars. FYI, if you go to the incline at Station Square, Carson Street is right down the road from there. I've been to Pipers Pub more times than I can count. :)

That is where I got married! 👰🤵 It is a beautiful church.

Lots of great ideas shared already. I'd also mention Heinz History Center, especially if you are a Mr Rogers' Neighborhood fan.

Carson Street in the South Side was always a fun time in the evening. Lots of shops, restaurants, and bars. FYI, if you go to the incline at Station Square, Carson Street is right down the road from there. I've been to Pipers Pub more times than I can count. :)
Fat Heads is there.

Hate to be nice to Pitt, but if you are comming in on 76 headed west to Pitt, its really cool, you see nothig but these twisted Mt you are going thru, then you trun around last hill, and this big city appears out of nowhere its like the wizard of oz
The view if you enter the city from the Fort Pitt tunnels is also fantastic.

Duck Boat Ride, Incline tram, the Phipps Conservatory, Univ Of Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning (ask for the key to visit every classroom; each room is themed around a different country,) waterfront parks, Heinz Museum

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter