Ideas Needed for 50th Wedding Anniversary with Covid

pampam

DIS Veteran
DH and I will be celebrating in December. I've been planning a dance for the last 25 years. Now with covid restrictions here we can't do that. I suggested a come and go tea. Again, the restrictions would be a limit of 25 people in the building at one time. One person pouring, and another person dispensing the food, per covid rules. This is not what my heart is craving, but it is better than nothing. Any and all suggestions are welcome. If there is a way to make it covid safe we will have to modify it. It's a big milestone for us and I feel a celebration is in order.

I’d do something just the two of you and have a giant 50+1 Party next year! Everyone would totally get it and it would be very unique!!! You could incorporate it into the theming/decorating. I know it might not be ideal but I’d want a nice party if that’s what you had been thinking about for so long...

I agree with the pp. If a nice party and dance is what you've been dreaming of and planning for the last 25 years, then don't give up now! Keep planning exactly the party and dance you want to have, reserve the space you've been dreaming about, and choose a date when there will be no restrictions on you or your guests. PP is right -- everyone will totally get it and probably have a better time celebrating with you when they don't have any restrictions to deal with, And in the meantime, plan something super special for just the two of you in December (Congratulations!) -- is there a weekend away that you've been wanting to try? a special restaurant that will be open for your anniversary? WDW? or something you can have catered at your home with candles, music, flowers galore? Why not have two celebrations? Go for it!

I agree with previous as well. If this is truly not the party you want, then don't go spend any money on it. Have dinner together or do something to make the day special and do the big party when it's possible again. In some cases a small party is better than no party, but reading your post, this is not the time.

If you really do want to celebrate it now with the 25 people, I would make the guest list first. If that is your family with children and grandchildren, it will be a different vibe than when it's with friends your own age.

Agree with other posters.If your heart is set on a dance,wait til you can do that.It's your dream,and 50 years is certainly worth celebrating in a big way the way YOU want to.

I’d skip it too. Even with your protocols in place, this is still a risky endeavour. It isn’t even the party you want, so postpone and really party when this blasted virus is under control.

All of the above.

I know several couples who have had to postpone milestone anniversary celebrations (including DH and I-30th anniversary).

Stinks, but it's the safest thing to do.

All of us have had a lot of big disappointments this year.

Getting to a new time without the dangers of the virus with our loved ones and our health will make the celebrations all the more special!

I agree with everyone else, I'd do something small to celebrate the day and wait until a time when you can have the party you've always dreamed of having.
I had to put off dh's 50th, it wasn't ideal but I knew if I tried to do anything else it just wouldn't be the same.

I would postpone.

It‘s sad we have to alter or cancel all these amazing milestones. Congrats on your 50th this year 🥂

First of all -- CONGRATULATIONS!

I think a lot depends on where you live, what your local regulations are, and your health.

DW and I are celebrating our 25th Anniversary next week. I had hoped for something more, but we're taking a short trip to a lovely resort in the Florida Keys. DD is coming home from college (all her courses are online anyway) to join us. We'll enjoy the sun, beach, seafood, and togetherness for a couple of days. It's not everything we had hoped, but it will be great.

If it’s your 50th I assume you guys are in your 70s? I don’t know if your region is different, and none of us can predict the future, but things are so uncertain that any planning you do today could be wiped out in a month if fall brings an uptick in cases. I know my mom and her friends in their 70s, who have been a little looser with their restrictions this summer, are planning on cutting back on any exposure with the start of cold and flu season. I’d hate to go to the expense and excitement of planning just to have to cancel or have few RSVPs.

It’s just one more thing that CoVid has ruined, and I’m very sorry. However I’d happily go to a 50+1 party next year along with the make up wedding receptions, graduation parties, and baptisms we’ve had to miss this year.

We took a trip with the whole family for my parent's 50th. We were together all week but we did set a night aside for a nice dinner out to celebrate their anniversary. As kids, we asked all their friends to send cards which they loved. We also had shirts and wine bottles made and bought a few things like a copy of the paper from the day they were married. On a separate occasion, they renewed their views after mass at their church.

Last edited:
I can't top the suggestions already posted, but Congratulations!

Thank you all for your advice and kind thoughts. We will be postponing any get together at this time. However, a dear friend is having a Zoom party for us. They will, I believe, be dropping off a meal, cake and a bottle of wine, and then each invited family will prepare their own meal and join us on Zoom for dinner. I feel so blessed for kind friends who think so much of us. There will only be 6 windows open so we will not be talking over each other too much, with friends from hundreds of miles away. I'm trying to think of things we could do, since not everyone will know each other. I'm thinking along the lines of the Anniversary game done newlywed game style where the guests will be asked question about how well they know us, such as where we went on our first date, or when we are driving, who controls the radio. Does anyone have suggestions for questions we could ask our guests about us, or even other games we could play virtually?

Do you have any classic family stories centering around things like hosting holiday meals that have gone awry? Such as what else caught on fire when Joe was attempting to light the bbq for Fourth of July one year? How about travel stories? What did Joe and Susan find when they opened the door of their Berkshires rental cabin?

Recalling classic stories that everyone can laugh about years later should be lots of fun, for those who went through it and for those who may not even know the story yet but can give some fun answers if the questions prompt some fun.

Congratulations on 50! Hope your virtual celebration is a tasty and fun amuse bouche for your in person bash!

Contact everyone that you were going to invite and ask them to send a letter, memento, memory, or a list of what was popular the year you were married, whatever. Explain you are going to compile a scrapbook of what they send. Then when you have your celebration as you planned, they can share your "covid zoom/virtual" diary at the party. Congrats on making your 50th.

OP here. Because of Covid we are severe restrictions. However, we just celebrated one of our nicest anniversaries ever. On Thursday we had a quiet celebration with just DH, DD, and myself. We exchanged gifts, and enjoyed each others company. For dinner, we brought home dinner from one of our favourite restaurants.

The next day, a dear friend dropped off a complete turkey dinner she had prepared for us, with champagne and wine as well as party things she thought we would need for the next days zoom party.

Saturday was the zoom party with us and 5 other couples. A chicken dinner complete with decorated cake was dropped off so I wouldn't have to cook. Everyone ate their own supper in their own living room and visited over zoom . Then, they played the song DH and I had danced to on our 25th anniversary, as well as a waltz . Everyone danced in their own living rooms. Then the ladies dressed up in boas silly hats and party glasses while they lip synced to a song they chose for me because they decided I sang that song to DH "My Guy" We laughed all the way through. But they were not done! The men dressed up in cowboy hats and lip synced to "Hey, Good Lookin', because they figured that's what DH should sing to me. They hammed it up good while the ladies pretended to play guitars. One lady didn't have a real guitar so she made hers out of cardboard. It was a hoot!! Afterward, we played a game with questions I had prepared about DH and I. It didn't matter if they knew the answers or not. It was just silly conversational memories.

So, we ended up having a 3 day celebration. I feel so blessed with wonderful friends who went over and above to help us mark this golden wedding. Thank you for all your suggestions, ideas and best wishes.

OP here. Because of Covid we are severe restrictions. However, we just celebrated one of our nicest anniversaries ever. On Thursday we had a quiet celebration with just DH, DD, and myself. We exchanged gifts, and enjoyed each others company. For dinner, we brought home dinner from one of our favourite restaurants.

The next day, a dear friend dropped off a complete turkey dinner she had prepared for us, with champagne and wine as well as party things she thought we would need for the next days zoom party.

Saturday was the zoom party with us and 5 other couples. A chicken dinner complete with decorated cake was dropped off so I wouldn't have to cook. Everyone ate their own supper in their own living room and visited over zoom . Then, they played the song DH and I had danced to on our 25th anniversary, as well as a waltz . Everyone danced in their own living rooms. Then the ladies dressed up in boas silly hats and party glasses while they lip synced to a song they chose for me because they decided I sang that song to DH "My Guy" We laughed all the way through. But they were not done! The men dressed up in cowboy hats and lip synced to "Hey, Good Lookin', because they figured that's what DH should sing to me. They hammed it up good while the ladies pretended to play guitars. One lady didn't have a real guitar so she made hers out of cardboard. It was a hoot!! Afterward, we played a game with questions I had prepared about DH and I. It didn't matter if they knew the answers or not. It was just silly conversational memories.

So, we ended up having a 3 day celebration. I feel so blessed with wonderful friends who went over and above to help us mark this golden wedding. Thank you for all your suggestions, ideas and best wishes.
:goodvibes Happy Anniversary Pampam and congratulations! 50 years is an impressive achievement. I was very interested in your thread because we ended up having to improvise our 25th back in September under conditions I never could have imagined as I dreamed of the occasion for all those years. I’m so happy to hear your update! Thanks for letting us know and I wish you many more happy years ahead. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter