If a teacher were to post your child's work on Facebook with no identifying details..

Never, have I ever posted what city or area I live in. Ever...

I don't discuss specific students at all, in terms of names, locations, etc. Speaking about an ADHD student, is like talking about a Disney lover on this board. LOL!

As I already said, it is totally different in regards to a Facebook account in which everyone knows the teacher, city and school, and in a small city, people would know the students as well.

I don't consider speaking in generalities to be the same. I don't discuss specifics of individual students with my spouse or family, and I don't do it on here. I have taught thousands of students over the years at different schools, so since you don't know who I am, nor where I live, you can't know which individual students I would be referring to, whereas posting on my Facebook account about what one specific student said today in class, would instantly tell people that I was talking about a current student.

Sorry as I was not trying to mislead anyone, and hopefully this clears it up, Tiger
If I am thinking about somebody else, I apologize.

If I am thinking about somebody else, I apologize.

No worries at all. :thumbsup2

The direction of the conversation towards me is making me feel a little uneasy though...I post about a passionate topic in a very generalized manner in the hopes that it will help others, especially struggling parents.

I still stand by my feelings that posting on private and shared Facebook pages about particular students, especially current students (whose identities are then at risk of being discovered), is vastly different than speaking about groups of teens.

It has been an interesting thread, as my colleagues and I had a similar conversation about Facebook and Twitter the other day.

Tiger

My personal faves are:

Give an example of a "food chain." Answer: a dog, on a chain, eating food, duh.

You took 3 crayons from the box. You need 5. What should you do? Answer: steal some more.

I posted this on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. It never occurred to me that people might find it out of line.

"One of my sixth graders came into my room sobbing today.
Me: Oh no! What's wrong?
Student: You know that book that we're both reading?
Me: Yes....
Student: Well, one of the main characters just died and I can't stop crying!"
And people are worried about "kids today"! Love her! <3"

I'm on my 4th child, so you would think I would know better right? Nope...one assignment was to read with your child a book a chapter a night well (he's in 3rd grade)....I got sucked into the book & although it seemed awfully familiar to me since I knew the older 3 read it...next thing I know there is a death in it & here I am trying not to start bawling since I was at the park district waiting for one of my kids classes to get over with. I was the bad mom and basically told my child that I couldn't help him with that assignment anymore...he knows I'm a sap though.

I told the teacher I'm surprised she doesn't have a class full of kids bawling when they get to that chapter since they read it out loud in class.

Geesh! It's as bad as Charlotte's Web. I can't read that book either without crying and I do not like spiders to start with!

It wouldn't bother me if people shared the funnies....I'm sure my kids have given them zingers and many a "well...that wasn't what I was meaning with the question but that is one way to read it".

My favorite is from my daughter in kindergarten. They were learning about farm animals. On this was a "quiz"

Quiz- If a farmer looked out side and saw eight legs what animals could he have?

Daughter- Octopus

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

What? You've never been to an octopus farm before??? :thumbsup2

As a teacher I wouldn't do it but as a parent I wouldn't mind

I agree. I wouldn't have a problem with it at all as long as it wasn't done in a negative manner. Unfortunately though, these days you can't take a chance because somebody else probably will have a problem with it.

Regarding the comments by the teacher and the counselor about "Johnny", they needed reported to the administration. I don't care how bad Johnny was, that was beyond unprofessional.

Neither I nor my current co-workers have posted anything. But a friend at another school did and we were giggling over it (it was pretty cute!) when the discussion started.

It should be noted that so long as no identifying details are there, there is no current policy against sharing in this way. In most examples (like the one in the OP), you couldn't even be sure it was from that person's class. Funny little things get posted and passed all the time.

That said, I wouldn't do it. There's a risk and it's just not worth it. But I personally see it as harmless. Kids are cute, and the way they see and write things is often delightful. I do think it's a shame we live in a world where everything is negative or a threat, rather than seeing the simple joys.

Agreed.

To me I would think it would depend on:

1) Is this something that is cute (see octopus thing above that heck technically is right if you make the lead that its possible to have an octopus farm, at least their were eight legs) or something that is ridiculing the student for being "stupid" IE a post saying "OMG I am so frustrated with my class, these are the kinds of things they turn in!" With a post of a few lines of an essay with bad grammer and spelling.

2) is the child old enough to see and be embarrassed by it (difference between a kindergartener and a high schooler

As a teacher, I don't tell anyone what any of my students do or say. It's private, and should be kept as such. Don't even talk about it with my spouse...

Honestly, I will say that many teachers I have taught with struggle with good judgment and confidentiality in this regard, so posting on Facebook doesn't surprise me. I don't care if there aren't any identifying markers, it's a private experience that happened in class, between a teacher and student/s, so no place on a public social media forum, IMHO.

I wish more teachers were like you. Doesn't it just stink to work with many teachers that struggle with good judgement and confidentiality?

Never, have I ever posted what city or area I live in. Ever...
That is very smart of you! Makes sense not to post where you live online.

Just pointing out how easy it is to be indiscreet.

See how easy it is, to THINK you're not sharing personal details? Now I could look up teachers at [edited to remove semi-identifying info].

I think what this person has posted is discreet enough. A town, not an address. A type of school, not the name of a school. Nothing identifying specific students. No indication of anything that the authorities would be interested enough in to set the FBI digging into the Internet records, or anything interesting enough to sell to the media so they can create a little scandal around it.

I don't think "that is just wrong" was complaining about Tiger's postings about her students. However, she's pointing out that it's very easy to give a little bit of info here, and a little bit of info there, and if someone takes the time to put it all together you've given out a lot more than you intended. (And Tiger specifically said in this thread that she never, ever, ever posted the name of the town where she lives...but she did.)

When my son signed up for an Instagram account without my knowledge (grrr), we had a LONG talk about Internet safety and how giving a little here and a little there can really add up. We picked one of his friends at random (someone he knows from school, but I don't really know) and I spent 15 minutes going through her posts online. I think he was shocked by how much information we could find. "Look, every Wednesday night she posts that she has soccer practice. And two Wednesdays ago she posted a photo of her soccer friends at 7:15 at ___ park. If we went to the park this Wednesday at 7:15, do you think we could find her?" We also know what school she goes to, what she looks like, when her birthday is, the name of her brother and her dog, who her orthodontist is, etc... Kids who go to her school have to live in a certain area, and we know her last name. How many families with that last name live within the boundaries. Oh, look, just one! Do you think that's her house? now we know where she lives, too. (Could have gotten that info out of the school directory, too... but...) And some of the info wasn't even posted by her. It was posted by others about her, or who tagged her... but it's still info, and that info is difficult to control. I think I scared him. He hardly posts anything anymore.

I am sure we all do it. I try not to post my kids' names or specifics about where we live... but I think I've posted bits and pieces once or twice when it was highly-relevant to a specific thread. I'm sure if someone went through (please don't), I have also been guilty of revealing more than I intend to. I think that was the point "that is just wrong" was making. Tiger was adamant that she *never* posts personal info... but she does. Just like all of us probably do.

I don't think "that is just wrong" was complaining about Tiger's postings about her students. However, she's pointing out that it's very easy to give a little bit of info here, and a little bit of info there, and if someone takes the time to put it all together you've given out a lot more than you intended. (And Tiger specifically said in this thread that she never, ever, ever posted the name of the town where she lives...but she did.)

When my son signed up for an Instagram account without my knowledge (grrr), we had a LONG talk about Internet safety and how giving a little here and a little there can really add up. We picked one of his friends at random (someone he knows from school, but I don't really know) and I spent 15 minutes going through her posts online. I think he was shocked by how much information we could find. "Look, every Wednesday night she posts that she has soccer practice. And two Wednesdays ago she posted a photo of her soccer friends at 7:15 at ___ park. If we went to the park this Wednesday at 7:15, do you think we could find her?" We also know what school she goes to, what she looks like, when her birthday is, the name of her brother and her dog, who her orthodontist is, etc... Kids who go to her school have to live in a certain area, and we know her last name. How many families with that last name live within the boundaries. Oh, look, just one! Do you think that's her house? now we know where she lives, too. (Could have gotten that info out of the school directory, too... but...) And some of the info wasn't even posted by her. It was posted by others about her, or who tagged her... but it's still info, and that info is difficult to control. I think I scared him. He hardly posts anything anymore.

I am sure we all do it. I try not to post my kids' names or specifics about where we live... but I think I've posted bits and pieces once or twice when it was highly-relevant to a specific thread. I'm sure if someone went through (please don't), I have also been guilty of revealing more than I intend to. I think that was the point "that is just wrong" was making. Tiger was adamant that she *never* posts personal info... but she does. Just like all of us probably do.

Well said. Tiger probably didn't realize just how much personal info she's been revealing in this public forum. Now she can make efforts to be more discreet. :thumbsup2

Oh I totally agree! Especially since there are such nasty people who'll Google you at the drop of a hat. :thumbsup2

How about it? Been there done that. You think people would be wiser what they put on the internet. I just don't get it. But I do agree with Tiger. You should never write very personal information about students or put your location. It is only asking for trouble.

I honestly can't believe so many teachers have public facebooks and still friend colleagues, parents, students, etc. Even the most innocuous comments or pictures can be taken the wrong way by some people. A PP said that parents hold teachers to abnormaly high standards and that's just too risky for me. I'm currently in a post-grad program to teach in the next few months and I'm not going to even reveal to my employer that I have a facebook! I keep mine so private. You can't search for me by name or email, it's not linked to my regular email, has my real name, it says I live in a different country, and nothing on there is public if you could somehow get to mine through a friend except for my profile picture, which usually isn't a clear photo of me. There's no reason to put yourself at risk by friending parents, students, etc. My fb is for me and my friends and that's it.

That said I don't see a problem with posting funny comments that students made as long as they are always anonymous and never demeaning. Teacher's have special relationships with students that shouldn't be violated, especially not on such a public forum.

I don't see a problem with it- especially as there are no identifying markers on the paper. Kids say and do the cutest things and its nice to see or hear about it- makes everyone smile and feel
Good so what's the problem? I'm often amazed what people get upset over.

I honestly can't believe so many teachers have public facebooks and still friend colleagues, parents, students, etc. Even the most innocuous comments or pictures can be taken the wrong way by some people.

I totally agree - and it's not limited to educational professionals, either. I've never understood adding workplace folk on social networking sites. I would feel like I was still "on the clock" with regards to what I wanted to say. And of course, no matter how much you trust your colleague next door, they might disagree with something you post and bring that disagreement to work - whether it has anything to do with the job or not.

I have a "friend" who almost lost her job because she just added people to play FB games and didn't filter her posts. Someone didn't agree with a comment she made about a patient and they had enough information to track down her employer and report it.

Regarding the comments by the teacher and the counselor about "Johnny", they needed reported to the administration. I don't care how bad Johnny was, that was beyond unprofessional.
The principal was told and he dealt with it. Nothing happened(not that I wanted anything bad to happen to them, but I did think the principal should have been told, so I did.. LOL), they were told it was totally inappropriate and to never talk about kids on facebook, and to make the page private.
I didn't like that teacher to begin with, and I thought the guidance counselor showed such bad judgment I wouldn't want my kids dealing with her. Thankfully, the teacher moved to another school in the district the year before my kids got to his grade and they never needed any services by the guidance counselor. She ended up changing districts a couple of years later.
Neither moves were because of what happened.

It was kind of a nonissue, I think only a couple of parents at school knew, me being one of them, and I never told any parents about it, and I'm sure the parent of the kid never found out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter