If I like the "before" better than the "after" does that make me old?

I usually like the before pictures of 'Hollywood type' people before they got their face lifts and plastic surgery. With their money, you'd think they'd have the best medical people. Instead, it so often looks like they've been worked over by med school rejects. :crazy2:. :confused3

I don’t think it makes you old. Everyone has their own decorating preferences. There can be very young people who prefer a Victorian or mid-century style, and older people who prefer the latest and greatest. Sometimes I look at decorating magazines or websites and think “Wow! I really like that!” and sometimes I look and just say “Eeeeeeeew! That’s awful!”

I don’t think it makes you old. Everyone has their own decorating preferences. There can be very young people who prefer a Victorian or mid-century style, and older people who prefer the latest and greatest. Sometimes I look at decorating magazines or websites and think “Wow! I really like that!” and sometimes I look and just say “Eeeeeeeew! That’s awful!”
I like traditional styles. I suppose this can be called "old".

Years ago, I was working with a woman with whom I'd go to lunch. On occasion, we'd go to furniture shopping. She tended to buy something and get sick of it quickly and buy something else. Every time we'd go, I'd be saying how much I liked the colonial dining room furniture and she'd go to the most contemporary items and love them. I supposed that's why she wanted to change things up so often... to keep up with what was most contemporary at the time. I'd think to myself, "OMG! There ARE people who like and buy this ugly crap." I never expressed my opinions to her, though... to each their own.

I work for a large volume home builder. We build hundreds of houses a year and the buyers can completely customize their interior selections. The current design trend is white-on-white-on-white. 99.9% of the customers are choosing some version of it right now and I think it’s stark, ugly and completely boring. On top of that, my Warranty guys tell me the homes with active families pretty much all look grubby and worn after just a few months. We get tons of complaints about how hard it is to keep white flooring, carpets, tile, grout, stair railing and paint clean. No **** Sherlock - that’s not a warrantable defect. :rolleyes1

I don't think that necessary makes you old, just not into the current look. I'm not either. I find it awfully sterile and unwelcoming, all the white-on-white or white-grey-black monochrome. Part of the reason I love my old Victorian home is because you expect colorful, not-at-all-modern decor in a house like this and that matches up with my personal preferences.

I'm not a huge fan of the grey walls and furniture look either, it's a bit cold and unwelcoming. At least balance it out with a brighter colour.

I like before better too. I need some new furniture and I keep saying I’m waiting for the old styles to come back.

The current design trend is white-on-white-on-white.
omg....1987 - is that you?

White on white on white was "The Thing" when we bought our house. I was young, newly married and stupid - I thought it looked so cool. But even then I did wonder - how on earth am I going to keep these white tile floors, all white kitchen and white walls looking clean all the time- white shows everything.

Of course, I got to be cool for all of 5 min -until the next new trend took hold. Since then, we've modified some- I still like white walls mixed with vibrant art and colorful furnishings. Really makes them pop, gives a clean/restful foundation.

Thankfully no white carpets or white grout (yikes!)
Are we back in style now? :upsidedow

Last edited:
We get tons of complaints about how hard it is to keep white flooring, carpets, tile, grout, stair railing and paint clean. No **** Sherlock - that’s not a warrantable defect. :rolleyes1
When I see at the white on white I think about how hard it is to clean. My banister will need a new coat of pain because of dirt that I cannot get clean.

Our current walls are grey with white trim, and I like it. The cabinets were white but we ripped them out when we moved in. I truly despise white or beige walls. Partially because that's what every rental we lived in had.

I can't stand white walls or flooring, but other than that, I like a lot of white, in furniture and kitchens and bathrooms, especially. To me, white signals "clean." It is very difficult to get away with having a dirty white kitchen or bathroom, which means it gets cleaned OFTEN. Being able to hide dirt turns me off when it comes to kitchens and bathrooms. My house now has neutral sand colored paint in the walls with off white trim and dark brown/grey wood look tile floors, and it's gorgeous. ALL the cabinetry is white thermafoil. It's super easy to keep clean. I love it. The white makes it easy for ALL our other furniture to "match." We have espresso finish, white, black, navy, and grey furnishings scattered throughout the house and it all looks good. No clashing.

What I cannot stand is "wood" touches, like kitchen cabinets that have a wood look, or wood railings. Ew. I don't like the outdoors and I know homes are made of wood, but I don't want to be reminded of that. A log cabin is like my worst nightmare.

The worst trend, to me, is pine caninets/honey colored wood finish. It's awful, and so 80s/90s. I cringe now when I see kitchens and bathrooms with that color cabinetry. I can deal with dark cherry or espresso finishes, but that light wood color...yuck.

I refer to my style as “traditional cozy”. I like white walls but I prefer overstuffed comfortable furniture. All white, all gray, and chrome are just cold to me. I really dislike loft, industrial, and sleek ultra modern.

Well, I guess all of you would consider my house hideous. :laughing: I've always been a white on white person. I don't care, if it's in style or not. I just don't like bright colors in a house. I prefer all of the color to come from accent pieces that can easily be changed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter