If I were going to be a beach bum, it would be at...???

My dream is to live in Maui, but realistically I would settle for Destin, Florida. I would prefer to live in a condo on the beach than have a beach house because of the maintenance and insurance. The older I get, the more simple I would like my life to be.

Bali is fabulous if you get away from the tourists, as is Maui, but I can't see myself living in either place. I could probably be quite content in the Keys though.

I was thinking Bali, but I'm from California so maybe some place in California might be a better option if I had to haul myself back to friends and family. How about a lakeside Cabin at Lake Tahoe? Not sure if there's any that close to the beach though.

We have the same plan. Except we live in coastal southern California. Our plan is to buy a beach front home somewhere on the southern atlantic or gulf coast. We want warmer water and better on shore fishing that the Pacific. And of course, the real estate is cheaper. We have an investment property we're going to sell in the next year or two and buy a vacation home. Then, when our kids grow up and our home is too large for us, we'll sell it and move there full time.

We've been thinking about Florida, but dh is a physician and Florida has the highest rate of malpractice suits in the nation. He doesn't want to retire since he loves what he does so much, so he is leery of practicing in Florida.

I'll third St.Augustine, my husband and I visited it this past winter and we are in love! We believe this is where we will retire! He is actively searching for a sailboat for us to buy and keep their until we are ready to move full time.

I was thinking Bali, but I'm from California so maybe some place in California might be a better option if I had to haul myself back to friends and family. How about a lakeside Cabin at Lake Tahoe? Not sure if there's any that close to the beach though.

Hey bcla,
You know some one else suggested a lakeside cabin also. I can honestly say I never thought about that, i'm not a big camping gal so I'd have to try it out a few times. I've seen some shows with fabulous properties though. lol couldn't afford 'em but they look gorgeous.

I would definitely be out of country. I like the idea of Mexico or further South. Asia could be fun too! I want somewhere that my money would actually stretch!

We're thinking PCB. Would want to be gone before the spring breakers arrive, but that'd suit me fine anyway. Just need a place to escape Jan/Feb weather. I wouldn't want to be there full time. DW on the other hand....... We'd definitely prefer to rent if we do the snowbird thing.

I like the beach and warm weather but I wouldn't want to completely forgo all seasons so we're thinking South Carolina, not in Myrtle Beach but within 20-30 minutes maybe.

Hilton Head Island is a favorite of mine. But it is chilly in the winter.. can be in the 50's. My parents like the Fort Pierce/ Vero Beach area of Florida.

DH and I aren't old enough to retire yet...late 40's, but have started thinking about it. His mom is in DelRay Beach, FL (snowbird) and loves it. My parents are right off Hilton Head Island and love it, but they rent a place in Ft. Pierce or Vero for the month of March each winter.

We want to check out Sarasota, FL as well. Both of us love the beach, but want to be near a city with lots of things to do and I have heard Sarasota area offers that. Will have to plan a "recon" trip to see.

My dream is to live in Maui, but realistically I would settle for Destin, Florida. I would prefer to live in a condo on the beach than have a beach house because of the maintenance and insurance. The older I get, the more simple I would like my life to be.

As retirement becomes closer, we are also considering this area.
We have always loved it there.
If I am going to be at a beach, I want it to be that white sand and clear water!

We recently got back from week on Kauai, and it was amazing, but not considering living there. Now, those on the West Coast, affordable non-stop flights, can often have two places, and travel back and forth.

And, our son probably will not want to move, so the FL Panhandle would at least keep us in the same Geographical part of the U.S.!

The thing about a Condo is, if they offer any amenities at all, the monthly assessment fees (HOA) can be SKY HIGH. They are geared to be rental income producing property, and they can charge that.

It can be like paying rent, after paying premium price to buy the condo.
At Destin Palms, owners are literally bailing, and selling a big losses, because the management has been so bad, and is wanting to charge unimaginable monthly fees.

If one wanted a condo, that was like a rental, but is not a development with amenities, then that might be possible.
But, again, anything close to being on the coast will have the additional Flood Insurance coverage.
I imagine that does not come cheap!

We looked into two developments near Destin, most lots were still vacant... Only had to pull up and read the Covenents to find out why. Literally can't plant a flower without HOA Management approval.

We are finding out that it is a real 'process' to begin to consider such a move!

We are now considering a lot that is not too far from Destin, It is not right at the beach (just minutes away, though) not in a major flood zone, etc.

Last edited:
My parents retires to the Puerto Vallarta area about 2 decades ago (and then got divorced and then got tired of being beach bums but still loved the area and now my dad owns a real estate agency and my mom and her boyfriend work for him--it is all so oddball, but I am rambling).

I love the area (which I have visited since I was 12) and often day dream over the amazing deals in some of the listing on their website. So, I would probably head there, or possibly one of the towns near Alicante Spain where we often spend Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter